Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:37 am
LordMortis wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:00 am Woke up to POWW at $7.80. I need more money so I can gamble on things I don't understand.

Edit: And down it goes...
Forget that--clearly Rivian was the horse to ride, and we both dismounted far too early.
It is what it is. The question will be do I let that last lonely share go and take my money few bollars and run and then watch it go from unreasonable to full on Tesla or GME or Bitcoin. It has no business being $160 nor even $60.

Talked myself into something stupid. Picked up 100 sympathy shares of POWW at 6.79, wherein I totally don't have a sense for their real value and then sold an April $10 call for $.63. YOLO?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:00 am Woke up to POWW at $7.80. I need more money so I can gamble on things I don't understand.

Edit: And down it goes...
Gambling on things you don't understand, even if you have more money, doesn't sound like a smart investment strategy to me.

YMMV.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:57 am Glad I held onto LCID though.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Well, ELEK would have been a nice day trade.

$0.24 yesterday. $5.00 right now. Up 1300%+. 2.7M vol vs. 15K average daily.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rivian up to 150B valuation and counting...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LCID now $10B larger than F.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Interesting read this morning, from a Yahoo Finance article that popped up:
“Walmart's earnings, retail and industrial spending all reveal the dirtiest secret about both rising prices and the supply crisis: Demand from consumers and companies alike remains scorching hot.

It’s what's kept the labor market propped up, and allowed workers to voluntarily depart their jobs in droves for greener pastures. In addition, as business scribes like TKer’s Sam Ro have pointed out, inflation hasn’t yet hollowed out corporate America’s bottom line.

Which brings us to the bad news I alluded to earlier. The consumer’s willingness to absorb higher prices, and the fact that higher costs haven’t (again, at least not yet) undermined profit margins means much of the inflationary pressures we see are unlikely to evaporate.“
Bought a Vanguard TIPS ETF last week. Think I’ll buy more today. (Tips= (short term) inflation protected security)

Just based on some cursory reading, appears unclear if these outperform just buying good quality equities long during inflationary environments.

“Good quality equities” = what used to be called ‘blue chip’ but I think at least that term is out of vogue, if the whole idea itself is not dead)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Added some PTLO under $45.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Forget buying shares, when can I buy sandwiches? You need a franchise or corporate store somewhere around here.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sterling Heights I think. They are also have a few in Michiana.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sterling Heights is like dozens and dozens of Tim Horton's from me.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:37 pm I saw the POWWP as well and wondered at that but again it's too smart for my blood... and money... So I just admire from afar.
New $1.01 dividend declared last week on the preferred.

Not t buying this for the dividend but if I'm getting POWW I'll continue to pick up some POWWP.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Whelp, got my RIVN shares back at a discount.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

CNBC had someone on this morning talking about Series I treasure bonds. Bonds paying inflation which is currently 7.12% through April. Doing research now.

4 Caveats so far. $10,000 limit per calendar year (many exceptions, none apply to me). Rates redefined every 6 months based on inflation. Need to leave money in place for at least a year. You forfeit interest if you cash before less than 5 years.

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/re ... s_ibuy.htm
What's an I bond?

A Series I savings bond is a security that earns interest based on both a fixed rate and a rate that is set twice a year based on inflation. The bond earns interest until it reaches 30 years or you cash it, whichever comes first.
What's the interest rate on an I bond you sell today?

For the first six months you own it, the Series I bond we sell from November 2021 through April 2022 earns interest at an annual rate of 7.12 percent. A new rate will be set every six months based on this bond's fixed rate (0.00 percent) and on inflation.
When can I cash my I bonds?

After they are 12 months old.

If you cash an I bond before it is five years old, you will lose the last three months of interest.
I bonds earn interest for 30 years if you don't cash the bonds before they mature.
If you've been affected by a disaster, special provisions may apply.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:08 am CNBC had someone on this morning talking about Series I treasure bonds. Bonds paying inflation which is currently 7.12% through April. Doing research now.
This is my number one cash reserve parking lot at the moment. I don't need much there considering fixed expenses I'm reserving it for. I'm not too worried about the 5 year time horizon. Forfeiting 3 trailing months of interest between 1 and 5 years probably would be a push decision at that point.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Woo hoo! Stock market is on sale today, boys!

(Rubs hands)

What are we buying?!?

BMY?
CAT?
MMM?
AMAT?

AMZN would need to go down a couple more hundred at least for me to pick up more.

Maybe more inflation protected bonds?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:26 pm Maybe more inflation protected bonds?
More would mean I had some before this morning. I liked what was put in front of me and picked up a Series I bond. That wraps me up for the year. Get back to me in January when I start contributing to an IRA for the last time ever and maybe get more Series I bonds. After that it will start being a question of what I start selling, not buying... Though I'll have a huge to me to 401K to learn how to manage. If I convert it to an IRA, I'll have to learn the ropes and then I'll probably migrate another IRA to convert it all in to one account. That's all stuff I'll be back to ask about probably in spring 2022.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Those I series bonds seem interesting, but I don't see a way to get them into my retirement account as they only seem to be available via Treasury Direct -- I can buy TIPS through my retirement account though when they are auctioned.or via the secondary market. Time to do some reading and see if it's worth it to hold some of my excess retirement cash in TIPS for a bit.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

xwraith wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:58 am Those I series bonds seem interesting, but I don't see a way to get them into my retirement account as they only seem to be available via Treasury Direct
I actually just opened an account this morning and purchased the maximum amount, funding it from my "high interest" savings account. I've been cash heavy for a while now and anxiously staring at inflation numbers so this seemed like a good fit for me.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:37 am
xwraith wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:58 am Those I series bonds seem interesting, but I don't see a way to get them into my retirement account as they only seem to be available via Treasury Direct
I actually just opened an account this morning and purchased the maximum amount, funding it from my "high interest" savings account. I've been cash heavy for a while now and anxiously staring at inflation numbers so this seemed like a good fit for me.
Yeah, that's why it caught my attention and I did the same from my liquid checking account... Which isn't so liquid anymore. I'm not sure if I will add more come Jan 1st (which calendar year suggests I can do) and then contribute to my Roth IRA as well. That's a lot of money for me to pull when I am looking for an exit from the workforce. It may force me to start liquidating some of my stocks before I was planning to do so and also force me to re-evaluate my planned monthly expenses near term. I got time to figure it out though and this market is, what do they say, choppy?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:37 am
Similar here.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Side note: passwords not case-sensitive? Block password managers, and paste, and checks notes typing the password? What madness is this?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:33 am Side note: passwords not case-sensitive? Block password managers, and paste, and checks notes typing the password? What madness is this?
I probably should have mentioned that once I committed. I suppose the blocking typing and cutting and pasting reduces bot hacking, maybe?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:40 am
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:33 am Side note: passwords not case-sensitive? Block password managers, and paste, and checks notes typing the password? What madness is this?
I probably should have mentioned that once I committed. I suppose the blocking typing and cutting and pasting reduces bot hacking, maybe?
Well, it certainly reduces average password complexity and therefore account security by discouraging best practices. Seems like a suite of security features created by a committee whose members continually worked to one-up each other.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I bond is a bet on sustained increasing inflation over the next 20-30 years. EE bonds are the opposite.

I have a few fed bond funds but haven't bought direct.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:51 am I bond is a bet on sustained increasing inflation over the next 20-30 years. EE bonds are the opposite.

I don't intend to leave it parked there for 20-30 years. I rather doubt I'll leave it parked for 5. If/When inflation drops below 2% for an adjustment period, I'd wait three months and pull it.

If I were earlier in my "wealth building" phase of life, my philosophy would be different, but I'm about to hit drawing down my non IRA/401K investments. So this is a short term decision for me, as I have a lot of cash that is essentially being taxed by increased money supplies and obstructed supply chains creating inflation and I'm not comfortable putting any more money at risk in anything other than an IRA at this point. I'm actually comfortable taking money off the table as opportunity arises.
Last edited by LordMortis on Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:58 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:51 am I bond is a bet on sustained increasing inflation over the next 20-30 years. EE bonds are the opposite.

I don't intend to leave it parked there for 20-30 years. I rather doubt I'll leave it parked for 5.
Same. I'm definitely looking at this as a 5 years or less proposition.

Hmmm. Seeing as how I completed the purchase today in 2021, I think that means I could do another $10k in January. I'll ponder that.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:18 pm Hmmm. Seeing as how I completed the purchase today in 2021, I think that means I could do another $10k in January. I'll ponder that.
That's how I read it. Per calendar year suggests the reset is January 1.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:21 pm
Hamlet3145 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:18 pm Hmmm. Seeing as how I completed the purchase today in 2021, I think that means I could do another $10k in January. I'll ponder that.
That's how I read it. Per calendar year suggests the reset is January 1.
Sure does.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Speaking of calendar year resets. Does anyone have a TD account? If so, have you transferred funds between a regular account and an IRA? Can you transfer assets without selling and re-buying? If so, how do taxes work on that? Do you just pay gains or get credited losses and then transfer? Is there a place I can read up on this?

NM, crappy

https://www.tdameritrade.com/funding-an ... overs.html
- All contributions to an IRA must be made in cash and you must include a completed IRA Deposit Slip with your form. Please contact TD Ameritrade at 1-800-669-3900 for information on additional exceptions for IRAs.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:26 pm Speaking of calendar year resets. Does anyone have a TD account? If so, have you transferred funds between a regular account and an IRA? Can you transfer assets without selling and re-buying? If so, how do taxes work on that? Do you just pay gains or get credited losses and then transfer? Is there a place I can read up on this?

NM, crappy

https://www.tdameritrade.com/funding-an ... overs.html
- All contributions to an IRA must be made in cash and you must include a completed IRA Deposit Slip with your form. Please contact TD Ameritrade at 1-800-669-3900 for information on additional exceptions for IRAs.
AFAIK in-kind transfers from taxable accounts into IRAs aren't allowed by any institution. I suspect this is a federal rule to make sure the IRS has a clean record of the amount of contributions per year without having to figure out a cash basis for each security.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Farley can speak no wrong, I guess. F notches nearly another 10% increase today coming in over $21.30. I wouldn't touch it at all. I won't let them hurt me any more. But I'm glad I started playing games to figure out how options work when it was $6, even if I learned what a "Wash Sale" is the hard way. That and PFE are keeping me strong when much of my other holdings are showing weakness. Some even falling into the red... I was assured stocks only ever go up.

Not sure when the selling begin but it will begin not to far in to 2022. I only ever learned how to buy, so this going to be challenge for me but want to build back up to close to two years of stable, liquid living expenses and I only have a bit more than one currently having converted my maturing CDs to equities over the last year. I'm probably past time to see a financial advisor but I'm not smart enough to know how to find one, much less one that fits my situation.

March... March is when the great education begins...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Today's edition of 'well that sure is a new one on me!'

Last week, I submitted a request to my brokerage (whose name is being withheld to protect the innocent) to transfer some shares out to a charity. Today I noticed that 2x that share count were gone. I look and see that they somehow processed the request twice, 6 sec apart. Fun times... Certainly seems to be a lack of transaction controls to allow such a thing to happen.

Now the fun part--attempting to wind back an inter-brokerage irrevocable transfer.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Happy new calendar year everyone! This month, I'm looking forward to:
  • Maxing out my 2022 I-Bonds (did my 2021 I bonds last month)
    Maxing out my HSA
    Maxing out my Roth IRA
And I’ll once again attempt to max out my 401k contributions (hit my 2021 limit on 12/31). Once that is done, I’ll hibernate for another year with my completely boring “Bogglehead” style portfolio (total US stock market index + total non-US international index + bonds).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Heh, I just did my I Bond this morning. Transfer is set for 1/3 I was going to set my TD accounts transfer requests to fund my Roth as well, but I'm not sure how my employment is going to work nor how the TD account transfer of funds works (I've never done inter-account account transfer at TD before), so I'm likely to hold off funding my Roth until I actually make $7,000 in 2022. I may get an itchy finger and still pull the trigger early anyway. I do that.

All too soon, this will be changing from what to buy to what to sell. I'll be starting with selling my most speculative plays and then try to balance gains with losses, I suspect. It's hard to say this far out. After I fund both my I Bond and IRA, I should have about 8 to 10 months living expenses in cash equivalents before needing to sell but I intend to keep more in cash than I "need."

Living on a budget is going to be... interesting. I've never lived on a budget in my life. Everything has always been buy if you have them money, don't buy if you don't have them money, except for my last year in college and my house, wherein I still have budget. I was just forced to take out loans.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:43 am(total US stock market index + total non-US international index + bonds).
What’s your percentage breakdown on those?
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:01 pm
Hamlet3145 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:43 am(total US stock market index + total non-US international index + bonds).
What’s your percentage breakdown on those?
As soon as I process my January stuff, I think I'll be at about 75% US to 25% International. My bond fund is pretty small and token so I don't really toss that into calculations just yet (and my I-Bonds, at this point, I'm just considering as semi-cash reserves). I think I'm slowly moving to 70% US, 30% international. A lot of people on the Boggleheads boards actually use world market weight, so, 60.2% to 39.8%-ish. VT is great for a very simple way to do this. (The eft, not state). VTI + VXUS works for this too at a lower expense ratio and even more stocks covered.

I'm pretty comfortable doing what I'm doing as it fits my risk tolerance and it takes little attention. Basically just rebalance twice a year. What does freak me out a bit, though, are charts showing the S&P 500 doing this:

https://www.google.com/finance/quote/.I ... &window=5Y

Maybe I should start upping that bond fund sooner than later. :lol:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:43 pm What does freak me out a bit, though, are charts showing the S&P 500 doing this:

https://www.google.com/finance/quote/.I ... &window=5Y
Same.

On the same page: "The S&P 500 beat both Dow, and Nasdaq in 2021 by the widest margin in 24 years."
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I added a bit to my F position today as it keeps going up on positive news (another 10% today?!).

My retirement account added almost 20% for the second year in a row. Could have been higher if I had more money in C and less in S in the TSP, but I'll take it.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm so overweight F it's ridiculous. It's probably wise to sell some here...but it's F.

MYT