Development of a corporate website

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Tao

Development of a corporate website

Post by Tao »

Anyone have any experience with procuring a developer for a corporate website and if so what were your average costs? I am currently part of a team at work that is looking to contract the development of our website and thus far our market research regarding costs has left us reeling, with quotes 5 to 10 times what we were expecting. Just curious if this is the norm or we just need to speak with more vendors.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Kasey Chang

Re: Development of a corporate website

Post by Kasey Chang »

Get on eLancer or Fiverr and see what they quote you.

Also, assess your needs on what needs to be on the page, and what fancy tech you want incorporated. (i.e. what sort of audience, what browsers would they be likely using, how much animation to use, that sort of thing) and how much information you are trying to push. it is mostly a "sales brochure" site? Or does it need some serious functionality besides static webpages?

You can practically make a sales brochure site with the built-in site makers nowadays, unless you want fancy tech or link up to your CMS, CRM, tech support wiki, Lead generator, and so on and so forth.

Know exactly what you want, or your vendor will quote you something that includes everything with the kitchen sink.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Tao

Post by Tao »

Thanks for the tips. We already have a site but it needs to be upgraded/updated. We already have a pretty good idea of what we are looking for and the quotes we received were based on a Statement of Work. Mostly what I am trying to determine is what the going rate is for website development. The site is primarily informational, no eCommerce or transactions, although there is an associated database and a few forms so a static site won't suffice. This isn't something we do on a regular basis, I think the last time we seriously overhauled the site was a good ten years ago, so the prices we were recently quoted seem exorbitant but it may just be our team is out of touch so I was looking for some feedback.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Try Craigslist gigs, post something there. Maybe someone local to you will write back and give you a quote.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Or you can put up a bounty and make people compete.
It's almost as if people are the problem.