RTX 2060 vs RTX 2070 (in a laptop)

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

persself

RTX 2060 vs RTX 2070 (in a laptop)

Post by persself »

Want to replace my ancient Asus G74S laptop that's about 6-7 years old...it's got a gtx560m graphics card, and I keep waffling on whether or not I NEED the 2070.

I rarely play 1st person shooters...Sniper Elite 3 (and 4, when I upgrade) are the ones I would play at this time. Sims, such as the Anno series, and the newly announced Microsoft Flight Sim, RPG's, and strategy games (Civ) are/will be the mainstream of my game collection.

By chance, is there some website I can visit (yes, I know about "Can you run it"), that lists games in terms of whether they are more CPU or GPU intensive? I've read, for example, 1st person shooters rely more heavily on the GPU. Games like Civ rely a lot on the CPU as well as the GPU, etc. And Farcry 5 seems to tax the GPU more so than other shooters, at least from what I've read so far.

I realize that ANY replacement after 7 years or so is going to be fantastic, and that I "SHOULD" get as much GPU as I can possibly afford. Therein lies the problem; a laptop with what I WANT vs what I can actually AFFORD. There is at least $200 difference in the laptops I am looking at between the 2 GPU's.

Oh, and it has to be a 17" screen; 15" screen is just too small. Currently, I am zeroing in on MSI brand, the GE(Raider) for $1999 (RTX 2070) vs the RTX 2060 version for $1799.
Girl Gamer Extraordinaire-less/Redskins Fan
Kasey Chang

Re: RTX 2060 vs RTX 2070 (in a laptop)

Post by Kasey Chang »

Benchmarks says... 2060 is about 10-20% slower... UNLESS you play at 720p or so. THEN it makes no difference.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeForce-R ... 598.0.html
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
persself

Post by persself »

Thanks for the link. Good info there.
malchior

Post by malchior »

FWIW - I've had this laptop for a year and its freaking amazing. I was just playing Control completely cranked up with the RTX on and it was super solid. The only downsides are the 512 GB SSD that eats the 1 m.2 slot and the battery life isn't great. However, I just use an external USB3 SSD drive to complement it. It works great in this configuration.
persself

Post by persself »

malchior, I assume you mean you have the MSI Raider...

Anyway, I went through with my purchase of the MSI GE75, with the RTX 2060. Had to leave some $$ for a couple games I've wanted. I am loving this thing; it was advertised as only a 500g m.2 SSD. Imagine my surprise when the control panel info indicated another 1tb hard drive! Granted, it's of the mechanical variety that probably added a whopping $30 or so, but it was NOT listed anywhere on Amazon's description of the GE75 for $1580...yeah, $1580 I said. Plan to swap out that 1tb with my new Crucial 2tb SSD (Sata, not m.2).

I've used laptops forever for gaming, so I know about the craptastic battery life they have. Doesn't bother me in the least to simply stay plugged in.

So I've installed Sniper 3, which I just managed to play on my oldie, Tomb Raider (2013), Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, and Divinity Original Sin 2. The last 3 I have never played, so I figure I'm in for a great time, if comments on this board and elsewhere are any indication.
persself

Post by persself »

Although shipper is different (still via Amazon though), the same MSI GE 75 is now on sale for $1499 with RTX 2060. Mine was $1580.

So not sure if it will have the 1TB hard drive that mine shipped with...even though it was NOT listed as having the extra hard drive.