Workaround for new Steam UI (and how to revert to the old Steam Library UI)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Anonymous Bosch

Workaround for new Steam UI (and how to revert to the old Steam Library UI)

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I thought the following info might be more useful in a new post to assist those less than enthused with the latest Steam Library UI.

Here's a workaround courtesy of Reddit that at least provides a more minimal UI without needing to load all of those game icons:
MiniUI Workaround

Step 1 - Create new Windows desktop shortcut.

Step 2 - Paste steam://open/minigameslist into where it says "Type the location of the item:"

Step 3 - Save the shortcut to wherever you normally have your Steam icon and use it to open Steam. (Optional: Change icon to the Steam icon)
Also, here's a Youtube video with instructions on how to revert back to the old Steam UI in 30 secondsI:

Download link for the RevertSteam tool: https://github.com/zynerd/RevertSteam
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Re: Workaround for new Steam UI (and how to revert to the old Steam Library UI)

Post by Blackhawk »

It's a new interface. I figure I'll give myself some time to get used to it, and give them a little time to fix any issues, before I start going to such lengths to avoid it. As it is, my reaction reminds me a lot of when I made the transition from WindowsXP to Windows 7. I know now that my response was more a resistance to change than anything else.

Besides, I don't use the Steam interface that often. With games on Steam, GoG, Origin, Uplay, Epic, Bethesda, Battle.net, and Twitch, I use Playnite, a free interface which looks a lot like the old Steam, and combines the games from all of them (plus emulators.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
JCC

Post by JCC »

(Shrugs). I let Steam update, took a quick look, and barely notice any difference. Are people really upset over this? What is it that people don't like?
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I just turned on my backup computer and after updating it has the old style Steam.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

JCC wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:04 pm (Shrugs). I let Steam update, took a quick look, and barely notice any difference. Are people really upset over this? What is it that people don't like?
Yeah, I find it fine. I knew this was in beta test for months and to be honest I was expecting worse out of it, but really, it's not that bad. It actually resembles GOG Galaxy 2.0 in the way the tiles are presented. And I don't notice any performance difference. In fact, if anything it seems to be faster than the previous client to me. About the only annoyance was finding titles I'd long removed from my list had returned. They now count free titles as being on the list when previously they didn't. But that's easily corrected as they now allow you to not only hide entries, but remove them from your account.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I've been using the library beta for a few weeks now and like the changes on the whole... no real downsides that I can see. I especially like the summary of games you own that have been updated being built into the library screen.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

The update broke Steam on one of my laptops. I'm gonna be pissed if it's broken on my main gaming PC!
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I read the new library was out. Specifically took a peek, since I don't spend much time on those screen usually. Not sure what all the fuss is about. Seems fine to me. Also, no tech problems on my end. Hope it stays that way.

I thought the EA return was more exciting than this bit of Steam news, tbh.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Once I found the "Show only ready to play games" button, it is fine with me. Took me a bit of frustration to find it though.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lassr wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:42 am Once I found the "Show only ready to play games" button, it is fine with me. Took me a bit of frustration to find it though.
The play button was too subtle for you? Or perhaps you haven't noticed it yet? There is an option in the filters which is where I found it immediately, then the play button about 15 seconds later.

I really don't get the issue with the new interface (except for those where it isn't working). It seems like a meaningful improvement to me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I found the filter right away, but only found the button when I hit it by accident. For some reason, I had thought the play button was to launch the selected title. You know, like a play button would.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Steam has been glitchy for me today. First the Library page stayed completely blank except for network usage listed at the top. Also the Steam chat failed to work at all. A shutdown of Steam and restart fixed both. Then a game, Evil Genius, would not uninstall. It was simply hang there with the game running as a process. A full system reboot was tried but then Steam itself failed to load and was not responding. Another reboot and I manually deleted the game from the HD and started Steam. Steam showed the game installed still but did remove the listing when I clicked uninstall for it.

I may end up doing that old Steam hack after all if this keeps up. Old Steam worked. Wish they'd leave it alone if something works.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"