Mobile Games deserve their own section

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Moliere

Mobile Games deserve their own section

Post by Moliere »

Is it possible to break up Console and Mobile gaming? With the growth of apps it seems like this should get its own section of the forum instead of being lumped in with XBox and Playstation games. Mobile and Console are different gaming genres and would attract different audiences.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: Mobile Games deserve their own section

Post by ImLawBoy »

My gut reaction is that there's not enough traffic to justify separate subforums for each topic. The last thread on the first page was last posted to in September. Plus, I don't have a lot of trouble picking between console and mobile gaming threads in that forum (and since I haven't had a PC worthing of gaming in years, that's where I look for all my gaming stuff these days).

That said, I'm certainly open to hear from others who also think they need to be separate forums. Some of the elements we tried to consider when making/organizing the forums are:
- traffic (too much traffic can drown out threads; not enough traffic makes forums look barren)
- readability (do certain topics get consistently lost - this can tie into the traffic point)
- history (there will likely always be a seaparate PC gaming forum given the site's heritage)
- logic (there might not be a ton of traffic in either console/mobile or general computing, but it doesn't make logical sense to consolidate those)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I agree with ImLawBoy that the traffic doesn't warrant a separation into subforums. But I'd certainly consider it if there was an significant uptick in traffic though.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I understand the traffic issue. It would be nice if more people used brackets in the thread title to confirm which machine they're using. Multiple times I find myself reading a thread only to find out its for an XBox or PS game.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Moliere wrote:I understand the traffic issue. It would be nice if more people used brackets in the thread title to confirm which machine they're using. Multiple times I find myself reading a thread only to find out its for an XBox or PS game.
That's never a bad idea and I'll try to remember do that if I'm posing about a game, especially if it's a platform exclusive title.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?