Things To Do in Honolulu When You're Dead Tired

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Mr. Fed

Things To Do in Honolulu When You're Dead Tired

Post by Mr. Fed »

So I get to make a 24 hour trip to Honolulu -- catch a 645 a.m. flight Monday morning from LA to Honolulu, handle a 300 sentencing in federal court, then catch a 1030 pm flight back and get back to LA at about 9 Tuesday morning. Big fun.

Anyway, the sentencing probably won't take more than an hour, so I'm going to have about 6 hours to kill before my flight. Any recommendations for what to do in downtown Honolulu, considering I will have a hanging bag and just a suit and some casual clothes for the flight?
Is there something like a shopping center with a multiplex theatre and decent restaurants or anything?

Xne on the gay prostitutes suggestions; I can never stomach billing that to the client.
gellar

Post by gellar »

Fed,

There's a shopping center not too far from the airport on the water. For the life of me I can't remember what the hell it's called, but it has something to do with the largish Tower they have there. Some sort of tourist monument.

And yes, I can be more vague than that, but I'd have to try.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You could pay your respects to the tomb of the unknown surfer.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Schroeder

Post by Schroeder »

Mr. Fed,

The dead tired part might put a cramp in some of the fun stuff you could do in an afternoon.

However...

When I was there last (11 years or so ago...) they had little scooters for rent all over the place. The wife and I took them out to explore the island for a bit one afternoon. The weather was great, the wind felt amazing (esp. after a long flight!), the sights were spectacular, and the beaches were just incredible. We even made a run over to Pearl Habor for a bit to pay our respects at the U.S.S. Arizona, etc.

All in all, not a bad way to get a good look around the island...

CS
CSL

Post by CSL »

Schroeder wrote: We even made a run over to Pearl Habor for a bit to pay our respects at the U.S.S. Arizona, etc.
Outta head there Mr. Fed. Pay your respects to those men.
gellar

Post by gellar »

Schroeder wrote:When I was there last (11 years or so ago...) they had little scooters for rent all over the place. The wife and I took them out to explore the island for a bit one afternoon. The weather was great, the wind felt amazing (esp. after a long flight!), the sights were spectacular, and the beaches were just incredible. We even made a run over to Pearl Habor for a bit to pay our respects at the U.S.S. Arizona, etc.
Hey Chip!

I really wanted to do the scooter thing when I was there, but the girlfriend has an intense fear of anything with two wheels and refused to go with me. :(

Sure looked like fun though!

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

There is shopping all up and down Waikiki, for sure. I know the place that gellar is referring to - it's right near where all the cruise ships dock, heading up Ala Moana on the way back to the airport. As a matter of fact, I believe the Ala Moana Center, (not surprisingly across from the Ala Moana park) had a movie theater and quite a decent amount of shopping. All of these are NW of the main part of Waikiki beach.

Are you going to have any kind of transportation? If so, the cultural museum is pretty cool, as is Pearl Harbor, of course. If you want to get in even a brief amount of snorkeling, head down toward Diamond Head and a bit further east you will find Hanauma Bay. Absolutely gorgeous, and you can find a ton of places to rent snorking gear.

Or, if you want to do a quick jaunt, take the drive over to the east coast of the island. Maybe 2 hours there and back, and some seriously beautiful views going over the mountains.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

gbasden wrote:There is shopping all up and down Waikiki, for sure. I know the place that gellar is referring to - it's right near where all the cruise ships dock, heading up Ala Moana on the way back to the airport. As a matter of fact, I believe the Ala Moana Center, (not surprisingly across from the Ala Moana park) had a movie theater and quite a decent amount of shopping. All of these are NW of the main part of Waikiki beach.

I think the federal courthouse is in the Ala Moana area, so that sounds good. And maybe I'll take a cab to Pearl first.
gellar

Post by gellar »

Mr. Fed wrote:
gbasden wrote:There is shopping all up and down Waikiki, for sure. I know the place that gellar is referring to - it's right near where all the cruise ships dock, heading up Ala Moana on the way back to the airport. As a matter of fact, I believe the Ala Moana Center, (not surprisingly across from the Ala Moana park) had a movie theater and quite a decent amount of shopping. All of these are NW of the main part of Waikiki beach.
I think the federal courthouse is in the Ala Moana area, so that sounds good. And maybe I'll take a cab to Pearl first.
Ala Moana is pretty cool. The park is pretty... shall we say... ghetto? The mall, though, is massively huge. Lots of stores, definitely can kill some time there. If you're going all the way down to near Waikiki, and you'll be there around sunset, I strongly urge you to head on over to House Without a Key (it's in one of the hotels), grab a lounge chair, and order a Mai Tai. One of my favorite experiences of my entire trip was sitting on their lawn, drinking, listening to music, and watching the sun set. I also like long walks on the beach and rough se... er, wrong forum.

Pearl will take a longer time than you expect, but I was genuinely moved while I was there. I think I read every single sign they had in their museum.

Now that gbasden mentions it, renting a car and driving up Likiliki to North Shore might be a fun way to kill some time too. The northern part of the island is definitely the only part that feels tropical.

One last warning. Beware the traffic. It's HORRIBLE.
OMGHI2U
#gonegold brutesquad
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

When I flew home from a semester abroad in Australia, I had an eight hour layover in Honolulu... which coincidentally, happened to be on December 7th, 1991. That's right, the fiftieth anniversary of Michael Bay's surprise attack on innocent moviegoers the world over. We (me and my sister) went to the ceremonies and laid in the grass under a big tree listening to a symphony composed for the occasion and fell asleep in the ocean breeze. And that's the end of my story about visiting Pearl Harbor on the fiftieth anniversary of the attack.
Lee

Post by Lee »

That seems like a silly question Mr. Fed. ;) Do what I do when waiting for flights. Drink. Plop down in the airport bar and drink a few. Makes the flight go much smoother since you should be able to sleep through it. :)
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Screw all this walking around shit, you're a lawyer fed, you have the cash. Get a cab, tell him to take your ass down to the Royal Waikaloan hotel, sit yourself in the beachfront bar and drink until you hop back to the airport

Bonus in that you can sleep in the plane all the way back!

The scenery on the beach should be good too.
Ronin

"The Die is Cast"
-Gauis Julius Caesar prior to crossing the Rubicon River against Rome 49 BC
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Make sure to get laied!
raydude

Post by raydude »

Speaking as someone who lived there for 18 years...

Don't forget that the Mighty Mo (USS Missouri) is also now in Pearl Harbor. I haven't been on the tour myself, but I hear it's pretty cool.

There is a multiplex theater near Waikiki - at the newly renovated Ward Shopping Center. It's a little past Ala Moana. Just ask the cab driver, he'll know where to take you.

The area around Aloha Tower is also nicely renovated, with lots of shops and stuff there.

And speaking as one who grew up going to the beach at Ala Moana beach park, it's not ghetto at all. It's actually a pretty clean park and a decent beach. Better than anything I've seen on the East Coast :P.
naednek

Post by naednek »

There's nudy bars on almost every block. Go have fun :P
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Make sure to get laied!
Coming from someone who loves puns, I must say: I salute you, sir. That was masterful.

- Ash
Crux

Post by Crux »

Clearly you need to rent a board and tackle Waimea Bay. Send us photos.
Boxcar

Post by Boxcar »

Ala Moana shopping mall does not have a theater (which is pretty amazing given it's size). However, the Ward Center (which is on the way to Ala Moana mall from the Federal Building) has the newest and nicest theaters on Oahu. There are also some restaurants and shops across the street from the theater. Here's some info regarding Ward Center:
http://www.wardcentre.com

Restaurant Row (which is on the corner of Punchbowl and Ala Moana) has some decent restaurants, a couple of clubs, and some theaters. These theaters are a little older so I don't think they have the stadium seating that Ward Center does. If I remember correctly, it's not too far to walk there from the Federal Building.

Aloha Tower marketplace is the tourist-y shopping area with the tower (named, you guessed it, Aloha Tower) that gellar mentioned (which is also where the cruise liners moor). It's mostly shops and some restaurants -- has a Gordon Biersch and Hooters, among other things. Gordon Biersch is right on the water so you get a good view of the harbor (but no beach).
Rip

Post by Rip »

Find somewhere with an internet cafe and come here :idea:
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Rip wrote:Find somewhere with an internet cafe and come here :idea:
My money's on Fed picking that one.

And no, I'm not putting up any actual money. :P

- Ash
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Boxcar wrote:Ala Moana shopping mall does not have a theater (which is pretty amazing given it's size). However, the Ward Center (which is on the way to Ala Moana mall from the Federal Building) has the newest and nicest theaters on Oahu. There are also some restaurants and shops across the street from the theater. Here's some info regarding Ward Center:
http://www.wardcentre.com.
Thanks. That looks perfect. I can hang out at Borders, catch a flick, have a good meal, and then hit the airport.
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

What should you do in Honolulu? The same you'd do in any city you dont plan on staying in. Brush up on your prostitute slaying skills.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Gosh I haven't been back in Honolulu in 10 years. :(

No theaters at Ala Moana... Kahala Mall has some but they are pretty crappy. Pearl Ridge in Aiea has some. And there are a few different theaters in Waikiki. That new complex must be something that was built since I left.

I used to go the Varsity Theatre up by UH, around University Ave. and Beretainia. They played arty movies. Wonder if that theater is still around. *sigh* that was a fun place to hang out. I think I saw Mediterraneo there about 4 times.

I never did anything touristy while I lived in Honolulu but if you have time it's great to take a drive up to the Windward Side or the North Shore. Some absolutely gorgeous scenery along the coast. Also, Manoa Valley is a pretty fun place to explore. Just take Punahou Street up past the school and go north from there. Not a lot of great stores or anything, but again very nice scenery.

is the Ward Center where the old Ward Warehouse used to be, I wonder? I remember going to a computer store there and slobbering over copies of Savage Empire and similar awesome games (circa 1991) there.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

There's a place called "The Office" where mamasan and her lovely young girls will show you really good time. Bring lots of money.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

raydude wrote:Don't forget that the Mighty Mo (USS Missouri) is also now in Pearl Harbor. I haven't been on the tour myself, but I hear it's pretty cool.
It is pretty cool:

I recommend the whole Pearl Harbor experience, although it probably isn't best enjoyed when dead tired (unlike an encounter with one of mamasan's girls :twisted: ).
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Mr. Fed wrote:Thanks. That looks perfect. I can hang out at Borders, catch a flick, have a good meal, and then hit the airport.
Oh shut up. Couldn't you just have kept that to yourself, or at the very least waited until someone else posted after me, so I didn't end up looking quite so stupid on that one? ;)

- Ash
raydude

Post by raydude »

Hey at least you didn't recommend Ward Center first then had someone else get the credit for mentioning it :).
Fafhrd

Post by Fafhrd »

Hmm tough One, If you weren't tired you could run across the Island in around 6 hours. Assuming your in good shape, its good scenory. Ive done it, with the Whole Bravo Battery. Hawaii Tour sucked. its such a small island. Hmm guess you could charter a Plane for the day, fly over to the Big Island and either hike up to the Observatory or get a ride up there and get a tour of it. Its a awesome view, and to top it off, you'll probably see some snow up there.
Change is in the wind...
Boxcar

Post by Boxcar »

raydude wrote:Hey at least you didn't recommend Ward Center first then had someone else get the credit for mentioning it .
It's all in the presentation. :wink:
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Update: wimped out and didn't do any of the cool or patriotic stuff. I was exhausted from a weekend of drinking at a college friend's wedding in SF, got 4 hours of sleep, got up at 4 on Monday, flew to SF and then to Honolulu, did the sentencing at 2 HL time, then was at liberty by three. Wound up going and seeing "Ladder 49," then hanging out in Borders, then having a so-so dinner with several margaritas, then sitting in the airport for 1.5 hours watching "The Two Towers" on the portable DVD. Maybe something more exciting next time.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Grow a mustache, rent a Farari and pretend you are Magnum PI and then go see a Don Ho concert.