NTB. WTF.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zekester

NTB. WTF.

Post by Zekester »

deleted cause pr0ner was following me around the GT boards digging up all of my old posts here and posting them there. For some strange effed up reason.
Last edited by Zekester on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
ChrisGrenard

Re: NTB. WTF.

Post by ChrisGrenard »

I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. I think it's car related, but I'm not really getting it.

If you're talking about changing a tire on a car, well, I've put a donut on a car before, that wasn't hard at all. Seems like you could have done that yourself easily.
I'm special!
theohall

Post by theohall »

Zekester wrote:Took my car in a couple weeks ago for new front tires. They didn't have my exact size in stock, so I just told them put the next size up on. My car has plenty of clearance, so a slightly bigger tire would work no problem.

They wouldn't do it. They said they weren't allowed.

My girlfriend's son took a tire and rim up there today to have mounted.

Again, they wouldn't do it. The reason? BECAUSE THE TIRE IS 7 YRS OLD.

Are you effing kidding me? Have they gotten so scared of lawsuits that they won't even put a 7yr old tire on a rim? This tire is almost like new, FFS.
The problem with 7 year old tires is no one has any idea how rotted the inside of the tire might be. A few companies have been sued for selling old tires which exploded without warning on the drivers. Company is just protecting itself from any liability issues which might result from mounting said tire.

Just Read this. NTSB issued warning about potential "Catastrophic Failure" for outdated tires even if they appear brand new.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

ChrisGrenard wrote:I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. I think it's car related, but I'm not really getting it.

If you're talking about changing a tire on a car, well, I've put a donut on a car before, that wasn't hard at all. Seems like you could have done that yourself easily.
NTB is a company that I thought was nationwide? Anyway...they're a big chain around here that sells tires.

He needed the old tire taken off he rim and the "new" tire put on.

I figured it had to be lawsuit driven. Isn't everything nowadays? :x

BTW theo...check your inbox for GLB
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Never heard of NTB, but the topic title makes sense now.

Yeah, people don't mess with lawsuits nowdays, for good reason too. Nicest guy in the world could be about 30 seconds away from suing you into oblivion.
I'm special!
theohall

Post by theohall »

Got it. Done.
KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

NTB = National Tire and Battery
Xbox360 Gamertag: Lord Polish
Steam: LordPolish
WoW (Durotan): Valstaff (Mage), Kankle (Warrior) - inactive
Eve: Meticulus - Miner Supreme! - Inactive
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

They wouldn't give you a bigger tire because it would screw up your speedo; and likely result in a lawsuit as a result of you careening down the highway at high speeds.. Or something like that.

The only time you can really change tires is if you are changing rim size with it, whereby the overall circumference of the tire remains the same. Otherwise you need to unfuck your speedo with a different sized tire (and your AWD/4x4/Traction control on your car if you have that), and I can see them not wanting to get in that game.

As for the old tire? Ya I wouldn't want to be the mechanic putting that tire on either.. Higher probabilty the rubber is weakened and could blow up in his face (ouchie).
No.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

FishPants wrote:They wouldn't give you a bigger tire because it would screw up your speedo; and likely result in a lawsuit as a result of you careening down the highway at high speeds.. Or something like that.

The only time you can really change tires is if you are changing rim size with it, whereby the overall circumference of the tire remains the same. Otherwise you need to unfuck your speedo with a different sized tire (and your AWD/4x4/Traction control on your car if you have that), and I can see them not wanting to get in that game.

As for the old tire? Ya I wouldn't want to be the mechanic putting that tire on either.. Higher probabilty the rubber is weakened and could blow up in his face (ouchie).
+1.

Particularly the speedometer part.
Hodor.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

btebraewrvfawv
Last edited by Zekester on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Zekester wrote:Get real.

The "bigger" tire issue was in width, not diameter.
The width affecting speedometer? Uhh no, it will affect things like turning and so on (if it starts rubbing the inside wall if you don't have enough clearance.

Not sure if now you meant you wanted a wider tire.. To do that you would need wider rims no? Anyways if you were looking at bigger diameter wise Here's some light reading to explain the principle. You change the diameter you change the amount of distance traveled per revolution (how the speedometer measures how fast you are going).
Zekester wrote: And the "older" tire issue is just an arrogant, chicken-shit move by a bloated corporation. There is NOTHING wrong with a 7yr old tire.

Come on, guys......you were kidding, right?
A quick google turned up an article on old rubber killing people. Granted more on the slant of it blowing while riding on it, but the point kind of remains.
No.
Crux

Post by Crux »

And the "older" tire issue is just an arrogant, chicken-shit move by a bloated corporation. There is NOTHING wrong with a 7yr old tire.

Are we really supposed to take auto safety advice from someone who rides a motorcycle without a helmet?
If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit - Mitch Hedberg
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

And the "older" tire issue is just an arrogant, chicken-shit move by a bloated corporation. There is NOTHING wrong with a 7yr old tire.

No, not kidding.
Hodor.
theohall

Post by theohall »

No, not kidding either. As the Safety rep for our squadron, it's my job to let folks know about safety issues. A big one this spring was old tires and the danger of them blowing with absolutely no warning even when they looked brand new. There is no possible way to know the condition between the walls in an old tire just using the standard checks one normally uses for tires.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

fbtsbrtsbbtsrbtrsgbetb
naednek

Post by naednek »

Crux wrote:

Are we really supposed to take auto safety advice from someone who rides a motorcycle without a helmet?
awesome!
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Zekester wrote:I wonder.....would you all wear two seat belts in a car if they actually had them, too?
If it increased my likelihood of survival.. Sure?

Disclaimer: This is coming from a guy (me) that low sided his motorcycle, slid across the pavement and racked my helmet against the curb at around 50km/h. I only walked away with some scuffs on my textile pants and leather jacket; so you may not want to follow my advice.
No.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

bbggvwatvwravw4t
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Tires are made of rubber and rubber ages in weather. If the tire was kept in a dark temperture controlled room for 7 years it might be okay but a tire that is in light will have a certain amount of degradation over time. Or so I have been told.
Black Lives Matter
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Gay
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zekester wrote:Gay
:doh:
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If cars were available with 5 point restraints as an option, I would take one.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

When I worked in a tire shop, we would very rarely put a bigger size tire on a rim. You might have the clearance, but there are enough potential issues like the bead not sealing right that we usually didn't do it.

We never mounted any tires people brought in that weren't new or bought in our store, unless it was putting a replaced tire on the spare rim to act as a full-size spare. We didn't want to have anything resembling liability in case that 7-year-old "like new" tire turned out to be rotten or structurally unsound and wrecked your car.
Famine and death and pestilence and war-
I'm pretty sure I heard this one before
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

Zekester wrote: And the "older" tire issue is just an arrogant, chicken-shit move by a bloated corporation. There is NOTHING wrong with a 7yr old tire.
I just ripped a tire made in 2004 off my car. Slow leaking and visibly dry rotted.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Zekester wrote:And the "older" tire issue is just an arrogant, chicken-shit move by a bloated corporation. There is NOTHING wrong with a 7yr old tire.
It's not a joke to the service company who could be sued if the tire blows. It's not a joke to the kid who would lose control of the car if the tire blows at highway speeds.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Still gay.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zekester wrote:Still gay.
So doing the right thing by them is gay because it's not the right thing by you? Because them doing the right thing could potentially save someone's life? Okay then.
Hodor.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

bndfb hrtbhrth
Last edited by Zekester on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

mh htnrsh ets bhe
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

NTB guys are beholden to corporate masters. Go to Joe the mechanic down the block if you want flexibility.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

fwevfta4wvweavrtwart
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Your right to use an old tire and possibly have it fail stops at my right to not have your car blow out said tire at 70 MPH and take out me and my family.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

Zekester wrote:Why don't we all just live in freaking bubbles, and never leave the house then?

I mean, the safety pansies in this world are taking over. It's sickening :x

Christ.....how do some of you actually, you know, live?
I'm willing to jump off a bridge. I'm not willing to do it using a 7 yr old cord.

Machismo is all well and good. But stupid is stupid. your fear of being "teh gay" seems to equate with taking unnecessary risks. That isn't macho. It's pissing upwind.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

h dtsht bst set bset
Last edited by Zekester on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

you are mixing fear and common sense.

why lock your door? thief can just knock out the window.
mouth is inherently dirty. plaque and decay occur naturally. why brush your teeth? just gonna get dirty again...

regardless, the main thrust of your complaint is that you cannot have what you want put onto your car by a 3rd party that can be sued by anyone who is involved in a blowout accident with you.

The logical fallacy:
You can put whatever you want on your car.
You cannot expect someone else to take the risk for you.

solution: put the tire on yourself.

as for this situation equating to everyone being afraid of everything, that is also false. The individual likely doesn't give a shit. The corporation with deep pockets believes in covering its own ass.
Last edited by Kraegor on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

There's nothing inherently dangerous about a car. If all cars were properly maintained and operated correctly, there would be nothing dangerous about driving them. Barring that, you can at least do those things with your own car to put the equation a little more into your (and everyone's) favor. You're acting like taking any safety precautions at all make you a "pussy." Hell, power tools are inherently dangerous--why wear safety goggles or gloves? Basement flooded and fusebox blown? Shit--get on down there and start fixing that panel. Live a little.

What are you, a middle-schooler?
Famine and death and pestilence and war-
I'm pretty sure I heard this one before
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

Basement flooded and fusebox blown? Shit--get on down there and start fixing that panel. Live a little.
ROFL. fire sprinkler line froze and burst above my apt.... flooded the place with 2 feet of water...

fire dept shows up 30 minutes later... I'm walking around in there... they walk in with their big rubber boots poking around and first thing they say... "uhhh might be a good idea to kill the power in here".... damn, knew I forgot somethin!
RLMullen

Post by RLMullen »

Zekester wrote:Why don't we all just live in freaking bubbles, and never leave the house then?

I mean, the safety pansies in this world are taking over. It's sickening :x

Christ.....how do some of you actually, you know, live?
My desire to live in a "safety bubble" has nothing to do with protecting myself from myself... or 7-yr old tires for that matter. I live with horses; I live with that danger every time I step outside, and my wife should have legitimately died from a fall two years ago. No, I'm not "pussified".

My desire to live in a "safety bubble" has everything to do with protecting my family and myself from people like you, people who don't give a fuck about anyone else besides themselves. If I'm going to die because someone did something stupid, then that someone better be me. I don't want to die for your stupidity; please keep it to yourself.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

It's not common sense.... It's fear, plain and simple. It's a corporations fear of being sued. It's an individuals fear of being hurt.

Look.....given the choice, even I would prefer newer tires. But no one on this planet is going to convince me that i'm going to kill someone by putting 7yr old tires on my car. Or 10mm wider tires.

I've made it to age 41 doing some so-called "stupid" things, and I haven't killed anyone along the way. There's millions of other people in this world that have too.

And I just bet that there is something that every one of you safety zealots here have done, or still do, everyday that is potentially dangerous to yourself or someone else. So spare me the lectures.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Isgrimnur wrote:Your right to use an old tire and possibly have it fail stops at my right to not have your car blow out said tire at 70 MPH and take out me and my family.
Thank you I was going to point that out, but I figured I'll just let it go, until I saw more of his responses. IF you want to ride a motorcycle with no helmet than go ahead, there's a high chance it's only going to endanger yourself, but being irresponsible by putting on tires that do not fit your car or putting on old tires, not only endangers yourself, it will endangers others, including people in your vehicle.

It's a little thing called common sense. Some of us have it, some, well, they're still looking for it.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"