Help me find a tablet...

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Darkstar One

Help me find a tablet...

Post by Darkstar One »

Looking for a tablet, screensize between 8 and 9 inches, with a 1080p screen.

Anything BUT an iPad Mini that falls into that range. I can't find one--can anyone help?
jztemple2

Re: Help me find a tablet...

Post by jztemple2 »

What OS? Win10 or Android? I use a 10" Android one myself. How critical is that 8-9 inch screen requirement. Have you considered an Amazon Fire HD 10? I guess what you will need it for is important.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive had two Amazon 7" Fire tablets.

1. The micro USB charge port broke on both. One the entire back plate had cracked from the port. I have to bend it and sit at a weird angle to get the 2nd one to charge. The first one is dead. Both were babied and this happened within 6 months.

2. They are loaded with Amazon ads and bloatware that cannot be removed.

3. They are SLOW. So damn slow.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I had the Amazon 6" Fire tablet. It was slow, but kind of expect that at the price they were charging. Never had a problem with it. It does has some Amazon advertising, but nothing that was too obnoxious. I switched to a 10" Android tablet because I was willing to pay for more speed and also access to the whole Google Play apps store. It just depends on what you want the tablet for.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh ya thats right. It is some weird type of Android and the Google Play site wont recognize it for apps. You have to use Amazon for apps. Ugh.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

We have Amazon Fires. And you can get them to work with the Play Store. We've done it with both of our tablets.

I don't generally notice that mine is particularly slow. But I mostly use it for Sudoku and, currently, Fallout Shelter. I have, however, streamed Netflix on it, listened to Pandora, and even read a graphic novel. They all worked acceptably.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I recently pcked up a Lenovo Tab M8 for under $80. Not 1080 (1280 x 800) resolution but it's worked fine for me.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.4

It has a 1920x1200 screen at 8.4" and is well reviewed. I have no personal experience with that one, but have had other Galaxy tablets that were ok. My only complaint is that Samsung doesn't keep Android updated and thus they have an expiration date before the tablet actually fails.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
disarm

Post by disarm »

I'll second then Samsung recommendation. I'm on my second Galaxy Tab, and they've both been very good tablets with high-quality screens. As for Android update support, they do continue receiving security updates even if Samsung chooses not to update to the latest OS version...no big deal in my opinion because changes between Android versions have become less dramatic in recent years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

We have a 3 year old Galaxy Tab A that is still alive and kicking despite constant kid use and falling off a car roof at 30MPH.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

1080p screen? You're pretty much looking at Samsung 10 inch tablets, as Fire 10 (which is 1080p and USB C) is not really Android. And the Samsungs are usually in the 200 range.

I think the cheapest FHD is Lenovo Tab M10 at about $149 with 1920x1200 screen. Any cheaper and you're looking at 1280x800 screen. I bought one for a friend, works great, comes with a stand/dock/charger too.

I have three Fire 8's and and 2 Fire 7's (older gen) as backup. But so far, they've stood up to the abuse pretty well, probably because I had a case on them ASAP. I gave an older Fire 7 to a friend, and I still have an old one. I have a primary Fire 8 as my daily driver. I got a Fire 8 on refurb as backup and potentially as a gift. Recently I picked up a third one on clearance I wanted to use as a technology demonstrator for Alexa Show Mode, complete with the Alexa Dock for Fire 8, which is a snap-in charger case that works with the matching dock. But they are all 1280x800 if I recall.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Fire HD 8 or Fire HD 8 Plus would fit, if you want something on the cheap side (unless it needs to have exactly that resolution, and something higher isn't acceptable). I have an older version Fire HD 8 (maybe 3-4 years old?), and it was cheap and has been fine for me, although the battery isn't as good as it used to be. If you use Amazon (for books, movies, etc), then the Fire is a great choice.

As noted above, you can get the Play Store on it, although occasionally certain apps won't support it.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:21 am I have three Fire 8's and and 2 Fire 7's (older gen) as backup.
what exactly does one do with not one, not two, not three, not four, but five low-end tablets?

got my first one - a iPad gen 8 (32GB) on sale at MicroCenter - will also get a Pencil gen 1. this is going to be almost exclusively for portable art use. iPad Air would have been better for the Pencil gen 2 support, but for $260, i'll make this work.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:03 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:21 am I have three Fire 8's and and 2 Fire 7's (older gen) as backup.
what exactly does one do with not one, not two, not three, not four, but five low-end tablets?
Data mine for bitcoins, really slowly :D
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:03 pm what exactly does one do with not one, not two, not three, not four, but five low-end tablets?
Technically 6, as I have a Nexus 7 with a failing charge port. :D

Though I gave away one of my old Fire 7's, the 4th gen.

I got a Fire 8 when I realized it has a MUCH better battery life during my delivery guy days. Then got a backup as I want to add Play Store to it without messing it up. Turns out it worked on one and not the other. Weird, eh?

I recently got another one, as I said, to test it as Alex Show Mode (basically an Echo show)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Few more and Kasey can stick them all on the ceiling and have one giant tv to watch in bed.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I am the opposite of an Apple guy. But, I can't think of any good reason to buy any non-iPad tablet. Samsung certainly makes quality Android tablets, but Android SUCKS on a tablet. Windows on a tablet is even worse - unless you have a keyboard/touchpad and at that point you just have a windows 10 PC (this is what I use as a "tablet" now - a 2 in 1 laptop). If you want a cheaper 2 in 1 option then buy a chromebook.

As a pure tablet experience, the iPad is just in another class.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:51 pm Few more and Kasey can stick them all on the ceiling and have one giant tv to watch in bed.
No need. I have a gooseneck holder already that I use to hold my tablet in front of my face as I fall asleep. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Gooseneck-Tablet ... 07Y84SCR6/