2.5" SATA / desktop compatibility?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

2.5" SATA / desktop compatibility?

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd like to temporarily hook my laptop platter drive (a 1TB 2.5" SATA) to a desktop computer. I need to transfer almost a full terabyte of data from one to the other, and doing it across my wireless network would take forever, as my router tends to disconnect on large data transfers. This would only be for an hour or so as the data transfers, then it will go back into the laptop, so I'm not too worried about getting a proper mount. I just need to know whether the interfaces are compatible.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: 2.5" SATA / desktop compatibility?

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Depends on whether your mobo has the smaller SATA cables and/or ports. I've done with with every desktop I've had in the last decade. Worst case, you can get/borrow a SATA to USB or one of the universal adapters.

If you're asking about compatibility, if the cable fits, it will work.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hell, I didn't even know there were different sizes of SATA cables (I haven't pulled the drive from the laptop yet.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Mostly I'm just trying to avoid having to order new parts for a one-hour job, then having to wait a week for them to arrive.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

You will probably need the smaller SATA power and data connector. The laptop drives generally have them both lined up nicely so the entire drive can be "slotted" into place, unlike the desktop with separate plugs (it's still separate, just lined up nicely).

What I often do is I buy an external HD enclosure for this sort of work. It should have all the setup inside to take such a drive, and you just connect the USB to your PC.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:52 am You will probably need the smaller SATA power and data connector. The laptop drives generally have them both lined up nicely so the entire drive can be "slotted" into place, unlike the desktop with separate plugs (it's still separate, just lined up nicely).
Yeah, the laptop probably won't have cables. Check your desktop motherboard and PSU, they often have the correct data and power cables.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just to be clear (and I see now that I was a little vague), what I'm doing it putting a new (permanent) 2TB hard drive into the desktop, then transferring the terabyte of data from the laptop to the desktop. I just wanted to see if I could yank the laptop's drive, stick it into the desktop for a couple of hours to transfer the files that way. It's that or transfer them two at a time every 20 minutes for the next few days.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:00 pm Just to be clear (and I see now that I was a little vague), what I'm doing it putting a new (permanent) 2TB hard drive into the desktop, then transferring the terabyte of data from the laptop to the desktop. I just wanted to see if I could yank the laptop's drive, stick it into the desktop for a couple of hours to transfer the files that way. It's that or transfer them two at a time every 20 minutes for the next few days.
Yeah, shouldn't be a problem assuming the desktop has the connections.

MYT
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:32 am I'd like to temporarily hook my laptop platter drive (a 1TB 2.5" SATA) to a desktop computer. I need to transfer almost a full terabyte of data from one to the other, and doing it across my wireless network would take forever, as my router tends to disconnect on large data transfers. This would only be for an hour or so as the data transfers, then it will go back into the laptop, so I'm not too worried about getting a proper mount. I just need to know whether the interfaces are compatible.
this is a standard use case, so yes, it will work. (and i have personally not seen this small form factor SATA plug mentioned above)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just to clarify, most HD, even the 2.5 inches, use "standard SATA", but there are some that uses micro-SATA, esp. the small SSDs.

https://www.senove.com/types-sata-connectors/
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Most 2.5" SATA drives including 2.5" SATA SSD use the same SATA connectors (SATA data and SATA power) as the 3.5" SATA drives.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Again, open the desktop case and I'd they fit, it will work. You'll need both data and power.

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yep, and it worked. I'm not terribly comfortable working on laptops yet, and if it wasn't possible I wanted to know before I pulled it out.

Thanks.