My smart TV is making me feel stupid

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

My smart TV is making me feel stupid

Post by Kraken »

Hisense TV. I went to the Google Play store using the TV app and signed up for HBO Max. It took my money and started a subscription. When I select the HBO Max app tile in the store it shows an active subscription and an Install button. When I press Install it shows as Pending and offers me a Cancel button. But it stays "Pending" forever. I can't watch HBO Max on any other device because it says the login is incorrect; it looks like my TV is supposed to give me a code to activate the subscription -- maybe when the app downloads?

I tried downloading updates for two other apps. Those also get stuck on Pending.

I tried downloading a new app, an internet speed test for the TV. It got stuck on Pending.

Things I tried: hard reboot of the TV. It had been running really slow and now it's nice and speedy again, so that was overdue. But it didn't solve the download problem. Checked for firmware and I am up to date.

Any ideas? Should I try to uninstall/reinstall the GP store app? That came with the TV so I'm a little wary of removing it.

(Edit) When I check the Play store, it shows my subscription and the charge. I can't uninstall the GP Store app -- the option is grayed out.

(Edit 2) I installed the app on my phone with no problems and discovered that I needed to verify my email address. I never use gmail so didn't see that come in. Now I've got the account activated, and I can "Chromecast" it to my TV, which is something I had no idea could happen. Still can't download the app, or any other app, to the TV.
JCC

Re: My smart TV is making me feel stupid

Post by JCC »

Have you tried turning it off and on again? (Joking but not joking.) And by that I mean unplug/plug it back in.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yup, and that improved its performance overall. Still not downloading, though.

I also tried to follow the advice on this page, but of course my interface doesn't match what they describe. Specifically:
Solution #1: Clear Internet memory on your Hisense Smart TV

When using a Smart TV, the cache can affect the app’s functionality. Although the cache is supposed to improve your Smart TV viewing experience, too much cache may your viewing experience. In order to clear app cache on Hisense Smart TV, follow these steps.

On your TV remote control, press ‘Home’
Select ‘Network’ on the setup options.
Press ‘Clear Internet Memory’

After clearing the cache, the apps should work perfectly. If not, you should consider the other three options outlined below. It is, however, important to note that clearing cache resets apps on the default setting.
Of course there's no "Clear Internet Memory" button anywhere. I did find a report under Apps that shows how much cache they're using, and I tried to empty the cache there, but the amount of data reported in the cache didn't change, so IDK if that did anything at all. Anyway, it says I have 1.9 GB free, so that ought to be plenty.

The next step is "Solution #2: Reset your Hisense Smart TV." I haven't tried that yet because IDK what the reset button actually resets, and I don't want to resort to a potentially nuclear option unless all else fails...which it has, so far.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:22 pm Yup, and that improved its performance overall. Still not downloading, though.

I also tried to follow the advice on this page, but of course my interface doesn't match what they describe.
Does this video look more like your interface? Not sure why they have 2 completely different menus for the same brand of TVs...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gilraen wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:34 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:22 pm Yup, and that improved its performance overall. Still not downloading, though.

I also tried to follow the advice on this page, but of course my interface doesn't match what they describe.
Does this video look more like your interface? Not sure why they have 2 completely different menus for the same brand of TVs...
Yes, that's my menu. Pretty sure I already cleared that but will double-check. There wasn't a whole lot in it -- about 90 MB, which coincidentally is about the size of the HBO app download on my phone. I suspect that it's hanging before it completes, or possibly completing and not installing. The Play Store app only shows it "Pending," which tells me nothing.

While I can't uninstall the Play Store app, I do have options to "Force stop" and to remove updates. I'm leery of playing around with it, but will probably try that before doing a factory reset. Reinstalling and reconfiguring everything is a chore I want to avoid if possible, since the TV's working fine otherwise. And if by some chance a reset doesn't fix the download problem, I'll be hosed in a major way.

I'm not going to do anything tonight; I hope that the hive mind will have more ideas when it gathers full strength tomorrow.

(edit) The only thing I can remember changing in the past few weeks is plugging the TV into my router with an ethernet cable and turning off Wi-Fi. That shouldn't matter, but maybe I'll revert to Wi-Fi and see it it makes any difference. I also see an auto-update to the Amazon Prime app stuck on Pending, dated several days ago.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:55 pm (edit) The only thing I can remember changing in the past few weeks is plugging the TV into my router with an ethernet cable and turning off Wi-Fi. That shouldn't matter, but maybe I'll revert to Wi-Fi and see it it makes any difference. I also see an auto-update to the Amazon Prime app stuck on Pending, dated several days ago.
Yeah, switch to wi-fi, or restart the router. Usually if I have apps stuck in Pending on my phone, I switch between wi-fi and mobile data until it comes unstuck (known Android bug...) I wasn't sure if you had an option to switch internet connections on the TV.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

By golly, wiggling the internet worked. It uncovered a new problem, too, but not one I need to deal with now.

I unplugged the ethernet, connected to Wi-Fi...and it asked me to log in, without giving me any way to do so. Finally a notification icon appeared on the home screen, and THAT had a link that popped up a router web page informing me that my ethernet cable was unplugged. I couldn't proceed to any other screen, much less enter the password. After banging my head against that problem for 5 minutes I plugged the cable back in, turned Wi-Fi off again, and rebooted the router. Success!

Someday I'll probably need to figure out that Wi-Fi problem, but today is not that day. Thanks for the suggestion, gilraen.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I think my brain figured out the Wi-Fi login problem while I wasn't thinking about it. Haven't tested it yet, but logically I need to stay on ethernet until the Wi-Fi login is complete. Duh.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I have a Hisense H9G. I would get a Roku or the fire stuff if you want to stick to android. You will be rebooting your tv a lot. Like daily... It's really bad. Since I spent the 70 bucks on the Roku everyone has been happy. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com