Best TV streaming device?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zenn7

Best TV streaming device?

Post by Zenn7 »

For a new cord cutter (planning to cut when current month of cable is over).

I have an older LG smart TV (3-4 years old?). It has a lot of built in apps. We did wireless at first but for some reason that stopped working and had to switch to ethernet cable (none of our other wireless devices in the house seem to have a problem).

Have an older Sony BluRay layer that has some apps.

TV can do HD (don't care if we do though), can't do 4k or any other fancy view.

The problem we have is the BluRay player had HallMark's streaming service, but it stopped working and it's not on the TV, can't find an option on the TV to go out to the play store or whatever and download it.

Looked like Roku Stick+ is probably the way to go (though it won't have an ethernet option). Anything suggesting we need something better?
Blackhawk

Re: Best TV streaming device?

Post by Blackhawk »

I just posted an [URL=https://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/ ... 7849almost identical question[/URL] a month or so ago.

The Roku Streaming Stick + was the overwhelming consensus, it's what I went with, and I'm 100% satisfied with the choice.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:33 pm I just posted an [URL=https://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/ ... 7849almost identical question[/URL] a month or so ago.

The Roku Streaming Stick + was the overwhelming consensus, it's what I went with, and I'm 100% satisfied with the choice.
Saw that, wondering if I was missing anything. Also - anyone confirm if that the stick support HMNOW (Hallmark's streaming thing). That's the single most important one for my wife (since all the other stuff we're interested in we know works).
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zenn7 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:38 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:33 pm I just posted an almost identical question a month or so ago.

Saw that, wondering if I was missing anything. Also - anyone confirm if that the stick support HMNOW (Hallmark's streaming thing). That's the single most important one for my wife (since all the other stuff we're interested in we know works).
I don't know that - but check out FrndlyTV - it may do what you want and I know it works on Roku as that's what we used over the holidays.

Edit: HMNOW is available on Roku.
What devices can I use to stream Hallmark Movies Now?
All video content on Hallmark Movies Now is available on apps for for the following devices:

Smart TV and Media Players:
Roku 3 and newer: Click here for instructions on how to activate your Roku
Apple TV 4 and newer: Click here for instructions on how to activate your Apple TV
Samsung TVs and Blu-Ray Players (Model years 2017+): Click here for a list of supported Samsung TV models Click here for instructions on how to activate your Samsung TV or Blu-Ray Player
Amazon Fire TV: Click here for instructions on how to activate your Amazon Device
Android TV: Click here for instructions on how to activate your Android TV The following brands have released Smart TVs that run on Android TV: Sony, Philips, Sharp, Hisense, and more You can also find us on Android TV Media Players: Nvidia Shield, Razer Forge TV, and more
Chromecast: Click here for instructions on how to watch through your Chromecast
Also, from that site - these are devices that stopped working August, 2020 (might explain your issue):
As part of our commitment to delivering the best customer experience, we are consistently seeking ways to improve the Hallmark Movies Now service. From time to time that means we need to discontinue service on older devices so that we can spend time delivering innovative solutions. This has led to a discontinuation of support for some devices in August 2020.

Effective August 18, 2020, Hallmark Movies Now will no longer be supporting the following devices:

Xbox One
Microsoft Store Application (You can still use Chrome, Firefox, and any supported web browser to watch.)
2015 / 2016 Samsung TVs (Samsung devices from 2017 onward will continue to be supported.)
Effective August 24, 2020, Hallmark Movies Now will no longer be supporting the following devices:

Sony Blu Ray Players and Opera TVs (Sony Android TVs running Android 5.0+ will continue to be supported.)
Apple TV 2 and Apple TV 3 (Apple TV HD, Apple TV 4K, and later will continue to be supported)
If you need help identifying if your Samsung TV is compatible, please visit: Is Hallmark Movies Now available on my Samsung TV?
If you need help identifying if your Sony TV is compatible, please visit: Is Hallmark Movies Now available on my Sony TV or Blu-ray player?
If you need help identifying your Apple TV, Apple provides a guide here: Identify your Apple TV model

We understand this may be inconvenient, but the good news is that there are many supported devices you can use to access Hallmark Movies Now: What devices can I use to stream Hallmark Movies Now?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't have it, so I can't actually test them, but I did a search for Hallmark on mine. Here is what is listed as available:

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:41 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:38 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:33 pm I just posted an almost identical question a month or so ago.

I don't know that - but check out FrndlyTV - it may do what you want and I know it works on Roku as that's what we used over the holidays.

Edit: HMNOW is available on Roku.
What devices can I use to stream Hallmark Movies Now?
All video content on Hallmark Movies Now is available on apps for for the following devices:

Smart TV and Media Players:
Roku 3 and newer: Click here for instructions on how to activate your Roku
Apple TV 4 and newer: Click here for instructions on how to activate your Apple TV
Samsung TVs and Blu-Ray Players (Model years 2017+): Click here for a list of supported Samsung TV models Click here for instructions on how to activate your Samsung TV or Blu-Ray Player
Amazon Fire TV: Click here for instructions on how to activate your Amazon Device
Android TV: Click here for instructions on how to activate your Android TV The following brands have released Smart TVs that run on Android TV: Sony, Philips, Sharp, Hisense, and more You can also find us on Android TV Media Players: Nvidia Shield, Razer Forge TV, and more
Chromecast: Click here for instructions on how to watch through your Chromecast
Also, from that site - these are devices that stopped working August, 2020 (might explain your issue):
As part of our commitment to delivering the best customer experience, we are consistently seeking ways to improve the Hallmark Movies Now service. From time to time that means we need to discontinue service on older devices so that we can spend time delivering innovative solutions. This has led to a discontinuation of support for some devices in August 2020.

Effective August 18, 2020, Hallmark Movies Now will no longer be supporting the following devices:

Xbox One
Microsoft Store Application (You can still use Chrome, Firefox, and any supported web browser to watch.)
2015 / 2016 Samsung TVs (Samsung devices from 2017 onward will continue to be supported.)
Effective August 24, 2020, Hallmark Movies Now will no longer be supporting the following devices:

Sony Blu Ray Players and Opera TVs (Sony Android TVs running Android 5.0+ will continue to be supported.)
Apple TV 2 and Apple TV 3 (Apple TV HD, Apple TV 4K, and later will continue to be supported)
If you need help identifying if your Samsung TV is compatible, please visit: Is Hallmark Movies Now available on my Samsung TV?
If you need help identifying if your Sony TV is compatible, please visit: Is Hallmark Movies Now available on my Sony TV or Blu-ray player?
If you need help identifying your Apple TV, Apple provides a guide here: Identify your Apple TV model

We understand this may be inconvenient, but the good news is that there are many supported devices you can use to access Hallmark Movies Now: What devices can I use to stream Hallmark Movies Now?
Hmm, she might like that even with the streaming channel. Though with cable, she hates live TV. DVR'd EVERYTHING and fast.forward through the commercials.

And thanks for the confirmation and info on HM streaming. :)
Last edited by Zenn7 on Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:47 pm I don't have it, so I can't actually test them, but I did a search for Hallmark on mine. Here is what is listed as available:

Cool, thanks!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zenn7 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:48 pm Hmm, she might like that even with the streaming channel. Though with cable, she hates live TV. DVR'd EVERYTHING and fast.forward through the commercials.
If she uses the Frndly DVR feature, she can skip commercials. If the 72-hour look back, however, does not allow fast forwarding through commercials. My wife was not pleased, but learned to live with it (it meant planning ahead to DVR stuff).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

When I see Roku 3 and older - how does the Roku Stick + fit in? Were the 1/2/3 older designations or is that just generation and we're on 4th gen Roku?

Nevermind, I think I figured this one out myself.