Quck way to delete duplicate photos

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Quck way to delete duplicate photos

Post by jztemple2 »

I've recently switched over to using OneDrive to back up my photos on my iPod Touch. Due to some lack of understanding on my part of how it was backing up when I had the Touch connected to the computer, I've now got two duplicates of each photo :?. The photos are labeled (as an example) IMG_1649, IMG_1649 (1) and IMG_1649 (2). I've tried sorting by date created, date last saved, etc, but since they are simply duplicates that doesn't help, they remain intermingled. Is there some program or way to sort or move the (1) and (2) copies so I can drag and delete them en masse rather than having to do what I'm doing now, which is to control-click each one? Thanks!
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
TheMix

Re: Quck way to delete duplicate photos

Post by TheMix »

Delete everything and re-import?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

TheMix wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:04 pm Delete everything and re-import?
I thought of that except I've also got some photos in OneDrive that I've previously deleted off the camera.

Anyway, I figured out an old school method. Resize the photo folder to three photos wide and all the (1) and (2) end up in their own columns. Then drag using the mouse wheel and mass select the photos. Not elegant but so far it is working :)
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Pretty sure with something like DoubleCommander (Norton Commander Clone from the DOS days) or something similar you can specify a mask that will let you find just the (1) and (2) filenames.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:16 pm Pretty sure with something like DoubleCommander (Norton Commander Clone from the DOS days) or something similar you can specify a mask that will let you find just the (1) and (2) filenames.
Thanks, I found that site :wub: . Looks useful, I'll check it out.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

I use DoubleKiller, it has easy options for deleting duplicates in a directory or across hard drives in case you have several backups.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Chraolic wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:17 am I use DoubleKiller, it has easy options for deleting duplicates in a directory or across hard drives in case you have several backups.
Looks useful, thanks for posting about it!
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

You can also go to your photo folder in File Explorer and do a search for file names with parenthesis: *"(1).jpg"

The quotes are important. Just change the number to get those "2"s (and the file extension if needed).
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Biyobi wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:37 pm You can also go to your photo folder in File Explorer and do a search for file names with parenthesis: *"(1).jpg"

The quotes are important. Just change the number to get those "2"s (and the file extension if needed).
Sheesh, I played with an asterisk, but I forgot about the quote marks. Thanks, I just tried your method and it works great :wub: