MSI Trident Desktops

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

MSI Trident Desktops

Post by Smoove_B »

I was poking around to see what kind of sales were running and stumbled across this MSI Trident desktop for $1269, which seems like an insane deal for an RTX-based system. For reference, I'm currently running an NVidia 970, so pretty much anything would be better. What am I missing here? I know it's not something I'm going to be able to upgrade, but from just looking at the specs this seems like it should be a decent machine to replace my current 4+ year old desktop. Plus, it's fun-sized.
Processor Intel Core i7-10700F 2.90 GHz
Processor Main Features 64 bit 8-Core 16-Thread Processor
Cache Per Processor 16 MB L3 Cache
Memory 16 GB DDR4
Storage 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD + 512 GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8 GB
Power Supply 330W
Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Re: MSI Trident Desktops

Post by RunningMn9 »

Storage is a little light. I’d be looking at at least 1 TB for the SSD, and double that on the platter drive if it has one.

Only other thing is the 2060, which is the budget line of that card series, if I’m not mistaken (aren’t they usually x60 / x70 / x80?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My only experience with MSI was a top line video card that died from them. It was a Twin Frozr Copper edition 770 GTX. One day it just died. The fans both failed and it fried itself. They refused to do a thing for me because it was 2 weeks out of warranty. No matter what I suggested like an upgrade and I pay the difference. All they'd reply was "out of coverage"..F them. Maybe its just bad luck but them refusing to even TRY to do something pissed me off even today.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:09 pm Storage is a little light. I’d be looking at at least 1 TB for the SSD, and double that on the platter drive if it has one.
That did seem to be a potential issue, yes. Then I looked at my current setup - I have a 248 GB system SSD and a 2 TB HDD that's only half full. Ideally I should get more space, but I'm not sure what my options are there with these pre-built units.
Only other thing is the 2060, which is the budget line of that card series, if I’m not mistaken (aren’t they usually x60 / x70 / x80?
From my quick research the 2060 Super is within 10% of the FPS performance of a vanilla x70 card and about $50 cheaper. I think the x70 seems to be the sweet spot for money and performance, but the options for these Trident systems where they have the x70s seems more limited and/or much more expensive.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

2060 is obviously lower end. But it's gotta be better than your 970, right? :D

The storage seems fine unless you like to have everything installed. If you generally only play a few games at a time, and don't mind occasionally having to remove something to add something else, then you should be fine.

The only thing that concerns me is the power. 330 is really small. Obviously this is a tiny machine and is geared for low power draw. Still. I mean... I assume they spec'd it all out and 330 is enough to run the video card.

The small footprint is intriguing. And, it sounds like it's definitely an upgrade. How good of an upgrade would remain to be seen.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If I didn't have the faster ISP now, I think I'd be more concerned about the reduction in space, but I really don't need to have every game I own installed when I'm always bouncing between ~5 at any given time. Granted, installation footprints are getting larger (~100 GB) and I'm guessing eventually it will be a problem.

For the power supply, I thought so too and I wasn't sure about the processor, but it seems solid. From the reviews of that unit they're all 5* ratings, which I know isn't to be taken as fact, but to not see a single bad review of the unit I thought was surprising.

Plus, the case size is 4.72 liters! (is that a common way to measure case volume? Because it sounds wrong).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

RTX 2060 Supers run about 175w and the CPU there runs about 65w. Now sure what everything else comes to.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe not a Trident desktop (its an Aegis), but this is what I was looking at from MSI. Seems like it would be a solid upgrade from an NVIDIA 970? :D
Intel Core i7-10700 8C/16T 2.9-4.8 GHz 16MB Cache
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 192-bit
16GB DDR4 (2 x 8GB) 3000 MHz | 4x DDR4 2933MHz U-DIMM, up to 128GB
1TB 2.5" SATA + 1TB (3.5" 7200 RPM)
WiFi 6 (802.11ax) 2.4Gbps Dual Band 2.4GHz, 5GHz
The RTX 2060 seems to be a solid card?