Opinions on CrapCleaner

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Opinions on CrapCleaner

Post by jztemple2 »

I had CrapCleaner installed on my old rig and was thinking I was going to add it to my new one, but I've hear that there are some issues with it. How does the OO membership feel about CrapCleaner?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
gameoverman

Re: Opinions on CrapCleaner

Post by gameoverman »

Off and on over the years a lot of these free and useful small programs have 'sold out' and included installers for extra crap(ironic!) that will sneak by the users who aren't paying attention. I think CC is one of these. I always read everything when I install a utility so it's not an issue for me. CC works fine for me, but I also take the time to examine the tools and set them to do what I want. I don't just use an automatic option. I guess what I'm saying if you want something that you can safely install and use with the least bit of input from you then CC isn't it.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Don't bother.

Leo Laporte explains why you're better off avoiding it below:
TechGuyLabs.com wrote:

Episode 1716 (1:54:15)
Bart from West LA, CA

Bart uses Piriform CCleaner. Leo says that there's a new warning out to avoid CCleaner. Leo says that Microsoft Defender is flagging CCleaner as unwanted software because it includes other apps as part of the download. None of which Leo recommends. It's always best to avoid software that comes with a separate installer that ads other apps you don't want. CCleaner has addressed that issue to make sure it's no longer flagged.

And Leo says you don't really need CCleaner anyway. It's too risky because it modifies the registry and you could make your PC unusable. CCleaner can do it without running into that risk, but it's really conservative and doesn't do anything that helps for the cost.

Just keep Windows 10 updated and you'll be fine.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Wow. thanks for the replies. I'll give CC a pass from now on :ninja:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I've never really found any problems with it, but then I don't run it that often, and if I clean, I usually use Glary Utilities.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I use it every once in a while. I've kept the same version for years. I see no reason to update it as it does all I want now.
Those update notices are very annoying.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I ditched it years ago. First they unwittingly distributed a trojan with an update, then it was revealed that they were collecting and selling user data, then they started bundling in other software and installing it without permission, all while transiting from on-demand software that you ran when you wanted your system cleaned to an obnoxious everything-including-the-kitchen-sink package that tried everything it could get away with to stay active.

For safety and privacy software, that's not OK. There are better alternatives. Personally, I just use Disk Cleanup (the one built into Windows) most of the time, and BleachBit when I really want to scrape things clean.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)