General Computing Randomness

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: General Computing Randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

You might enjoy https://thedailywtf.com/
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks. I love these stories. Have since the mid 90s.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And it turns out that my motherboard uses a proprietary standoff and screw to mount m.2 drives, and it's been 2 1/2 years since I got this board. If I ever had the screw pack, I don't know where it is now. Support was less than helpful.

There's a good chance that I threw it out. Every motherboard in the last 20 years has come with exactly the same pack of screws. Once I got a solid supply laid back, I stopped even paying attention to them.

:grund:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:26 pm And it turns out that my motherboard uses a proprietary standoff and screw to mount m.2 drives, and it's been 2 1/2 years since I got this board. If I ever had the screw pack, I don't know where it is now. Support was less than helpful.

There's a good chance that I threw it out. Every motherboard in the last 20 years has come with exactly the same pack of screws. Once I got a solid supply laid back, I stopped even paying attention to them.

:grund:
it's very likely it came in a tiny ziploc bag all by itself. yes, one bag for one whole screw
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Two screws, two standoffs. There are two m.2 slots, and each one is elevated, so you need the standoff, too. I found something on Amazon that I'm hoping will work. It says its ASUS compatible, but it's Amazon.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You could always see if ASUS would just send you a couple.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I tried that first. They said they'd get back to me and offered to send me the dimensions. Their tone was not helpful. I'm not holding my breath.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:(
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, hopefully the Amazon part will do the trick. It was only five bucks for a pack of them.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The Amazon parts worked (although it wasn't the screws that were in question - those are apparently standard. It was the standoffs.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anyone know a simple way to control an android device remotely? Either through Windows or via a remote? I just need play/pause functionality, maybe volume. I've looked at Windows options, and they all seem to be intended as a full suite to integrate your phone and PC. I don't want that. I've looked at media remotes on Amazon, but I have yet to find one that didn't sound like junk that would fail after a week.

I'm regularly watching videos on my tablet while taking notes on my PC, and taking my hands away from the keyboard to hit the tiny, fidgety pause button every time I fall a word or two behind, then reaching over and unpausing, then reaching over and pausing it making my workflow go to hell.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:00 pm Anyone know a simple way to control an android device remotely? Either through Windows or via a remote? I just need play/pause functionality, maybe volume. I've looked at Windows options, and they all seem to be intended as a full suite to integrate your phone and PC. I don't want that. I've looked at media remotes on Amazon, but I have yet to find one that didn't sound like junk that would fail after a week.

I'm regularly watching videos on my tablet while taking notes on my PC, and taking my hands away from the keyboard to hit the tiny, fidgety pause button every time I fall a word or two behind, then reaching over and unpausing, then reaching over and pausing it making my workflow go to hell.
I have wireless headphones that connect via bluetooth with a play/pause button on them. Maybe you have something similar lying around?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I do have a pair of wireless earbuds with that functionality that I use for my phone, but I'd likely have to buy an extra pair - I don't want them pairing to my tablet every time I turn them on. I'd need to test, though, as I don't know whether the play/pause functionality would work for the videos.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Foot controls?

If you want an app, there's AirDroid or Vysor.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Today's project: Replace large L-shaped desk being used by two 6'1" adults with two single desks in the same location (giving us about two feet of extra space in the process), solving some decades old problems with my current desk design, and finally engaging in the arcane ritual known as 'desk cable management', which will apparently banish the spider web of cables and wires to the abyss when complete.

Wish us luck.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Your wife is 6'1"?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:18 am Your wife is 6'1"?
No, but my son is. As is my other son. As am I.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:51 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:00 pm Anyone know a simple way to control an android device remotely? Either through Windows or via a remote? I just need play/pause functionality, maybe volume. I've looked at Windows options, and they all seem to be intended as a full suite to integrate your phone and PC. I don't want that. I've looked at media remotes on Amazon, but I have yet to find one that didn't sound like junk that would fail after a week.

I have wireless
headphones that connect via bluetooth with a play/pause button on them. Maybe you have something similar lying around?
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:04 pm I do have a pair of wireless earbuds with that functionality that I use for my phone, but I'd likely have to buy an extra pair - I don't want them pairing to my tablet every time I turn them on. I'd need to test, though, as I don't know whether the play/pause functionality would work for the videos.
That didn't work out. I set up the earbuds, and they control media players just fine on my tablet, but the app the course uses apparently isn't set to recognize them. That would also mean that it wouldn't recognize any other play-pause device. Whoever developed this app (it's Canvas) was so effing lazy...
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:26 am
stessier wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:51 pm

I have wireless
headphones that connect via bluetooth with a play/pause button on them. Maybe you have something similar lying around?
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:04 pm I do have a pair of wireless earbuds with that functionality that I use for my phone, but I'd likely have to buy an extra pair - I don't want them pairing to my tablet every time I turn them on. I'd need to test, though, as I don't know whether the play/pause functionality would work for the videos.
That didn't work out. I set up the earbuds, and they control media players just fine on my tablet, but the app the course uses apparently isn't set to recognize them. That would also mean that it wouldn't recognize any other play-pause device. Whoever developed this app (it's Canvas) was so effing lazy...
SCRCPY is a FOSS tool that may do the trick. Here are some guides that walk you through the set-up process:
Keep in mind though, even if you'd prefer to use it wirelessly, you'll need to set it up initially via a wired connection.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I see intimidating acronyms! (But I will take a look.)

Sadly, if the app doesn't accept media control keys, I doubt I could do anything with it with other hotkeys, but I will check it out anyway.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Blackhawk wrote:Anyone know a simple way to control an android device remotely? Either through Windows or via a remote? I just need play/pause functionality, maybe volume. I've looked at Windows options, and they all seem to be intended as a full suite to integrate your phone and PC. I don't want that. I've looked at media remotes on Amazon, but I have yet to find one that didn't sound like junk that would fail after a week.

Seems to me that you should have the videos on the pc and take notes on the tablet.

I do that all the time.

Alternatively, get a second monitor and do it all on the pc.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:53 pm Seems to me that you should have the videos on the pc and take notes on the tablet.

I do that all the time.

Alternatively, get a second monitor and do it all on the pc.
Oh, god no. I can't thumb type anywhere near that fast. The PC I do this sort of thing with is a laptop, FWIW. I do the work in a comfy chair with my feet up. I have the laptop on my lap... top, and I have the tablet in a holder that puts it right next to the monitor. Laptop plus tablet really is the way to go for me on this, and moving to a different location to work there (and giving up the comfortable environment) would be way more of a hassle than simply futzing with the app.

Honestly, if they don't support external media functions at all, then the only option to play/pause is a direct touch on the button (or a click if I mirrored it.) I think any solution would be more hassle than it's worth.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am having a bit of weird keyboard issue. All of a sudden, my Epomaker GX96 is not taking ANY input when connected via wire to my PC. Power-on/off didn't help. I think I accidentally entered a setup mode of some sort.

I was able to get the keyboard functional again by going to its wireless BT mode (and I had to haul out my backup keyboard) but now I am wondering if I can get it back to wired mode again. Not going to try right now.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Does anybody know how to get Windows (notably OneNote) to recognize multiple dictionaries simultaneously for spell checking? Right now I can set it to English and have it mark every German word as a misspelling, or I can set it entirely to German and have it not recognize the English words (and I can't use the interface - I've only been studying German for four weeks.) I need to work in English, and just have it check German words correctly.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

You can set the dictionary to a different language for a specific page. Depending on whether you are using OneNote app or OneNote for Win 10 (yes, two different things...don't get me started): in OneNote app, it's Review > Language > Set Proofing Language. In OneNote for Win 10, you just right-click on the page and pick Set Language from the context menu. But you can't have it check against 2 dictionaries simultaneously on the same page.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks, I was afraid it was something like that. It doesn't help much with learning a language, though, as you generally need both on the same page (like vocabulary lists.)
gilraen wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:55 am OneNote app or OneNote for Win 10 (yes, two different things...don't get me started)
Oh, I'm right there with you. OneNote Windows 10 is a dysfunctional horror. I'm dreading their plans to merge the two.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Got the keyboard working again, weird.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:49 pm Thanks, I was afraid it was something like that. It doesn't help much with learning a language, though, as you generally need both on the same page (like vocabulary lists.)
gilraen wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:55 am OneNote app or OneNote for Win 10 (yes, two different things...don't get me started)
Oh, I'm right there with you. OneNote Windows 10 is a dysfunctional horror. I'm dreading their plans to merge the two.
Sounds like Skype App vs Skype Desktop all over again. They really messed that one up and it took several updates for it to become useable once they merged the two.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im trying to fix up an old computer to try to make some money off of. it doesn't have wireless. I had a usb one but I dont have it. It has a lan port. My wireless printer has a lan port. Can I run a lan line from the pc to the printer and then use the computer to be online?

I know you're saying "Just run the lan line to your wireless router" ....I would but its too far. I cant find anywhere to sit this pc except near the printer.....for now. May get irritated and take a shovel to the house and make room.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Unfortunately, no. The printer cannot act as a Wifi adapter for you.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

bummer. ty
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How the heck do I get into a passworded 2nd account in win10?

My sister gave me her late bf's pc. He is the main owner and she has a user on it for her. But she cant remember her pass. I need to get in it to make copies of all her stuff for her like photos. Already did his. He didn't have a pw and he is the main account.

ive tried 5 ways Ive found online but none give me to option to change her password or to bypass it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tried the net user command in a admin cmd...thought it was going to work as it says choose new pass...then retype...but then just gives an error.....i tried 4 or 5 solutions online. None worked.

If I cant then ill just have to delete the account before I sell it and lose her stuff it seems.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:01 pm How the heck do I get into a passworded 2nd account in win10?

Try blanking the password for that account using the free Offline NT Password Editor, as shown in the video above.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks. Ill come back to this when I can get some kinda net on the thing. It has no wireless and I got no where to set to do that. I also dont have a thumb drive or anything and cant afford stuff for a pc I hope to one day sell. Also where i had it sitting tonight was on the bed so had to pack it all back up so i can sleep lol.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

USB cable to phone? Then you can store the EXE on the phone and run off of it as a USB drive.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:04 am Thanks. Ill come back to this when I can get some kinda net on the thing. It has no wireless and I got no where to set to do that. I also dont have a thumb drive or anything and cant afford stuff for a pc I hope to one day sell. Also where i had it sitting tonight was on the bed so had to pack it all back up so i can sleep lol.
as mentioned above, use modern smart phone as USB drive.

or if you have an old hard drive sitting around...

...or burn to a CD-RW disc...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I quit I give up! I used that software I followed the instructions and it all shows every fucking user listed is unlocked and no passwords. Yet STILL her account wants a PW when i try to switch to it. F it. I quit for now. I just yanked the power cords and threw it all in a box. I dont even want to get out of bed anymore Im so sick of life so theres no damn way Im continuing to fuck with a pw on a user account right now.

Ill just fdisk the entire damn thing when Im ready to try and sell it. But it came with Win8 originally and now has Win10 so Ive got to find out the key in there someplace or find out how I can get Win10 back on when i nuke it. Im tempted to just take my gun to it all. I would if I wasn't broke .

Think Ill go back to bed and stay there. If I could forever Id be thankful .F it.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:45 pm Ill just fdisk the entire damn thing when Im ready to try and sell it. But it came with Win8 originally and now has Win10 so Ive got to find out the key in there someplace or find out how I can get Win10 back on when i nuke it.
That's likely a more sensible approach, especially since you intend to resell it. Fortunately, if that system already uses Windows 10 and and you just want to reinstall a fresh version of the OS, there shouldn't be any need for a Product Key. Windows 10 will automatically detect that the OS was activated earlier, and should reactivate after you finish reinstalling.

Also, you needn't bother with fdisk. Just follow the relevant 'Reset your PC' instructions from Microsoft.