General Computing Randomness

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: General Computing Randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Ok Im calm today. ugh I got so frustrated at this thing. Do I need to connect it to the net for that reset?

If so ill have to find a lan/phone cord to hook it to my router. I haven't seen one of those in ages.....hmmmm maybe on the old house phone.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:26 am Ok Im calm today. ugh I got so frustrated at this thing. Do I need to connect it to the net for that reset?

If so ill have to find a lan/phone cord to hook it to my router. I haven't seen one of those in ages.....hmmmm maybe on the old house phone.
No, you should be able to 'Reset your PC' from the PC Settings > Update & Security > Recovery menu, from the sign-in screen (without actually signing in), or by using a recovery drive and worst case, downloadable Win 10 installation media. Just refer to the relevant 'Reset your PC' instructions here.

Keep in mind, if you choose the 'Remove everything' option (which you ought to, if you plan to sell the system), cleaning the drive does take longer. But doing so will make sure that your erased files cannot be recovered.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thank you for the amazing info and for being patient with me even when Im cuss typing in frustration. Appreciate you.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:53 pm Thank you for the amazing info and for being patient with me even when Im cuss typing in frustration. Appreciate you.
You're welcome. Rest assured, we've all been there, so I certainly empathize with your frustration.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone having internet connection issues today? My net died last night and today it was still out. Now part is working like OO and stuff but some sites aren't and neither is my isp email.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Decided to get off my *** and actually prep for A+. First attempt to do a full practice example resulted in... 24 out of 90 wrong, which is a fail, of course. But it DID point out my problems. I didn't memorize trivia like the different port numbers of common protocols, or the speeds of common peripheral connection types (did you know Thunderbolt 3 is 40 Gbps?). That's about 10-15 pts right there. The rest was not reading the questions properly and being too cocky and too impatient, believing I knew it all.

Now to get some lunch and prepare for a couple interviews in an hour.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My Fire HD 8 (2017) tablet had a problem of disconnecting from Wifi and reconnecting periodically. I am not sure if it's the device itself or if the signal is truly bad. So I checked all my other devices, NONE had the same problem. It's a refurb, so chances are it *does* have problems.

So with Amazon throwing an early Black Friday, I bit the bullet and bought a Fire HD 8 plus (2020) for $55. What changed? 3GB of RAM, and USB-C.

Now the thing runs smooth as butter. It was the darn tablet itself all along. :-/
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I don't know what in the hell MS downloaded but everything was working fine and now nothing is like it was before. God I hate fucking MS.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Anonymous Bosch

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:18 pm I don't know what in the hell MS downloaded but everything was working fine and now nothing is like it was before. God I hate fucking MS.
There's an easy fix for this. Try using the useful Debloat Windows 10 script created by Chris Titus to configure your Windows Update service to download security updates only, along with the essential tweaks. He explains how this works in his Youtube video below:

To fire it up, just open Powershell with Admin privileges, i.e. type Windows Powershell in the start menu search, right click on Windows Powershell, and choose Run as administrator. Then copy and paste the following into your Powershell prompt, and hit enter:

Code: Select all

iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://git.io/JJ8R4'))
Once the script is running, click the 'Essential Tweaks' button under 'System Tweaks'. Next, hit the 'Security Updates Only' button under the 'Windows Update' section. This makes sure you will now only be downloading essential security updates instead of the typical bloaty feature update garbage that more often than not causes precisely the type of aggravation you describe. Those feature updates essentially make you a guinea pig for Microsoft. Switching to security updates-only means your Windows Update service will now only download patched security exploits and vulnerabilities without all the additional cruft.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I got it all pretty much back to normal. I just hate that MS thinks they know their customer base and changes everything with asking. ( Other than if you download it we own you)

And everything on the web about this is dated and NA.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Anonymous Bosch

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:05 am I got it all pretty much back to normal. I just hate that MS thinks they know their customer base and changes everything with asking. ( Other than if you download it we own you)

All the more reason to configure your Windows Update service to download security updates-only. Doing so will prevent such aggravation from recurring the next time Microsoft decides to 'improve' the features of your OS without your permission.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I was at one time considering getting into streaming gameplay and now that I see that Xplit Broadcaster (lifetime license) is on sale for $55 (Boingboing store, discounted to $79, minus pre-black Friday 30% off coupon) I was kinda tempted, then I remembered I only have dual DSL which is sucky for streaming. :D
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:14 am
dbt1949 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:05 am I got it all pretty much back to normal. I just hate that MS thinks they know their customer base and changes everything with asking. ( Other than if you download it we own you)

All the more reason to configure your Windows Update service to download security updates-only. Doing so will prevent such aggravation from recurring the next time Microsoft decides to 'improve' the features of your OS without your permission.
Wow, that utility you linked to (the all-in-one) looks amazing. Downloading now. I’ve always been drawn to apps like that but also worried about security/viruses. So many of those ‘multi-tool’ apps are set up as trackers or worse. Or at least just look sketchy as hell.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:05 am I just hate that MS thinks they know their customer base and changes everything with asking.
They don't think that. They don't care what their customers want, because most of their customers don't really have a viable alternative (no, Linux isn't viable for most.) They make their decisions based on how they want their customers to use their computers. The feature decisions and updates are designed to mold the users into what benefits their plans the most.

Just yesterday I was reading an article about how hard they made it to switch your default browser in Windows 11. You literally have to set your other browser as the default for each web filetype individually, one by one, and Microsoft will still force any links launched through Windows into Edge. Someone developed a workaround to that, and Microsoft called it 'not appropriate' and patched Win11 to block it from working. It isn't about what the customers want. Microsoft benefits most when customers use Edge, therefore they do everything they can to push people into Edge.

With any luck they're setting themselves up for another antitrust suit, although I have no idea how that would go in today's world.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:52 am With any luck they're setting themselves up for another antitrust suit, although I have no idea how that would go in today's world.
Based on recent reading about anti-trust issues, it would likely go REALLY well for MS.

Probably one of the best times in modern history to be a company with monopolistic interests and/or ‘pro-trust’ :) issues.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:52 am
dbt1949 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:05 am I just hate that MS thinks they know their customer base and changes everything with asking.
They don't think that. They don't care what their customers want, because most of their customers don't really have a viable alternative (no, Linux isn't viable for most.) They make their decisions based on how they want their customers to use their computers. The feature decisions and updates are designed to mold the users into what benefits their plans the most.

Just yesterday I was reading an article about how hard they made it to switch your default browser in Windows 11. You literally have to set your other browser as the default for each web filetype individually, one by one, and Microsoft will still force any links launched through Windows into Edge. Someone developed a workaround to that, and Microsoft called it 'not appropriate' and patched Win11 to block it from working. It isn't about what the customers want. Microsoft benefits most when customers use Edge, therefore they do everything they can to push people into Edge.

With any luck they're setting themselves up for another antitrust suit, although I have no idea how that would go in today's world.
I'm sorry, but that's not correct. Well, the stupidity about Edge is correct, but Microsoft builds most of its products around its largest customers. I know of multiple changes that were made because of huge customers that demanded such changes. When a customer is spending hundreds of millions of dollars, they have a lot of say in what happens.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just how does a Gen 3 video card fit in a Gen 1 mini slot? Its so tiny. I notice it has a cutout at the end. Does a giant long Gen 3 card just hang out the rest of it and not get any connections? Id love to see a pic of that.

Brought this up because the pc Im selling has a gen 2 and some gn 1 slots. I want to be able to tell the buyer a card will fit.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been hearing a random failed connection audio beep from my PC for over a month and never saw what it was. But now my keyboard simply dies..all lights go out and it wont function then its back on and I hear that connection sound..or failed connection. Its totally random and the keyboard being dead last maybe 3 seconds. It may do it once or it may do it 2 or 3 times in a row...but if it does do it multiple times quickly the kb is only off once.

Weird thing.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:41 pm Been hearing a random failed connection audio beep from my PC for over a month and never saw what it was. But now my keyboard simply dies..all lights go out and it wont function then its back on and I hear that connection sound..or failed connection. Its totally random and the keyboard being dead last maybe 3 seconds. It may do it once or it may do it 2 or 3 times in a row...but if it does do it multiple times quickly the kb is only off once.

Weird thing.
you probably already tried these things but,
make sure your keyboard is firmly plugged in, and that its not loose in the socket and jiggling around.

if it still happens after that

try a different keyboard

start preparing to replace your motherboard
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ohh I hope not. this pc MUST last me 2 1/2 year yet. If it doesn't Im in the crapper.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:13 pm

try a different keyboard

------>HERE<--------

start preparing to replace your motherboard
I'd add another step where indicated:

If it still happens after that

Try a different 'group' of USB ports.

My system has a cluster high on the back, a cluster low on the back, and ports on the front of the case. The group on the front is extremely temperamental. I have another PC where one group of two won't function at all, but the group further down the rear plate works just fine.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I guess it depends on the motherboard, but I have come across more than a couple of accessories that will not work at all through the front USB ports (and say so in their directions), or not well at least. Not sure if they are lower power or what, but I have also often seen that in troubleshooting: "don't plug "x device" into the front USB ports...use the back ones."
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Or get a USB to PS/2 adapter and plug the keyboard into the PS/2 slot instead of a questionable USB port. Of course, it could be that the keyboard cable itself is damaged somewhere, in which case that wouldn't help.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

just had to add that _if_ it turns out that all the 'groups' of USB ports are bad (which seems unlikely), a PCIe USB add-on card could always be acquired and installed.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I checked the cable. Its in all the way. Nothing has tugged on it or nibbled it. Haven't heard the sound today or noticed the KB unlit.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My xbox360 controller broke. Specially, the battery compartment broke. The removable battery box is loose and no longer holding the battery firmly so I can't power it up. Replacements are as low as 1.50 on eBay... with shipping more expensive than the item.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish my 360 controller had a removable cable. It is built in and has a short. Guys on here posted some fixes but I dont solder stuff. Ive used a rubberband that helped a while . Im using a XBone controller now. Feels good in the hand but its super sensitive and I cant control anything with it.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:42 am My xbox360 controller broke. Specially, the battery compartment broke. The removable battery box is loose and no longer holding the battery firmly so I can't power it up. Replacements are as low as 1.50 on eBay... with shipping more expensive than the item.
i would just plug in the charging cable permanently... hate dealing with batteries
Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:02 pm I wish my 360 controller had a removable cable. It is built in and has a short. Guys on here posted some fixes but I dont solder stuff.
too bad, as it's a _really_ easy soldering job

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Xbox+360+C ... ment/51578
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Got a weird problem with my GeForce Experience video recorder. It's supposed to detect the app, but sometimes, it glitches out and I have no idea where the recording went.

If I was playing MW5, then the recording should go into D:/VIDEOS/Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries

And this works for most of the games. But for some games, probably because they don't make the video exclusive, it ends up recording as "desktop"

Then as I upload videos, I realized there are two videos missing. I had made two recordings today, and I can't find it. It's NOT in desktop, and there is no folder called Deep Sky Derelicts.

So I started WhizFile which is a pretty good search client for all the drives you have. Nothing. Whatever it is, it doesn't start with "Desktop".

So I started searching for all MP4 created in 2022.

And finally found the 2 videos recorded under... PCMark 10. PCMark 10?!?!?! WTF? I don't even run or have installed PC Mark 10.

But at least I found them. :-/
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

What's a decent cheap or free (preferably free) photo editing tool that's somewhere between Photoshop and Paint? With decades of Photoshop under my belt, I'm finding that GIMP is utterly counter-intuitive.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:54 pm What's a decent cheap or free (preferably free) photo editing tool that's somewhere between Photoshop and Paint? With decades of Photoshop under my belt, I'm finding that GIMP is utterly counter-intuitive.
since you're on Windows, did you try Paint.NET yet

https://www.getpaint.net/
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kasey I have no idea I dont make videos or use that software. Sorry. Thought you deserved an answer on your question though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:35 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:54 pm What's a decent cheap or free (preferably free) photo editing tool that's somewhere between Photoshop and Paint? With decades of Photoshop under my belt, I'm finding that GIMP is utterly counter-intuitive.
since you're on Windows, did you try Paint.NET yet

https://www.getpaint.net/
Thanks, I will check that out. I'd heard of it, but I ignored it. For some reason, I was under the impression that it was just a browser version of MS Paint.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Paint.net has some problems opening Photoshop PSDs, at least complicated ones with a ton of layers. But otherwise it works fine.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:45 pm Kasey I have no idea I dont make videos or use that software. Sorry. Thought you deserved an answer on your question though.
Oh that's just a gripe. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just an annoyance quick rant.

Why does my printer want to print useless pages others than the main page i want printed??? Like for bills I like having a printed copy of where and when I paid the bill. Thats all on page 1 usually. But it wants to print a worthless page 2 with 1 or 2 lines of crap on it to waste some paper. Then sometimes it will 'print' a 3rd page with nothing on it..ZERO. Now days I always go into the pages to print box on the right and just type in 1 for the page number to print...but it doesn't keep that setting. So every print job I have to fiddle to save paper.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It looks like we don't have a smartphones thread here so I'll just drop a quick question here.

Today my phone decided it doesn't like its charging cable anymore. I had to struggle to insert it far enough to make any contact at all, and then it can only trickle-charge. Took me most of the day to go from 5% to 100%. Some google advice suggested cleaning the charging port, which I did to no avail. I did try two other cords with the same problem, so it's the port.

Can the charging port be replaced for a reasonable price in a Galaxy S10? I'm going to take it to the local screwdriver shop later this week but I'd like to go in forearmed with a little knowledge. The interwebs seem to indicate that it's not a big deal.

I just paid this phone off two months ago. :grund:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:11 pm It looks like we don't have a smartphones thread here so I'll just drop a quick question here.

Today my phone decided it doesn't like its charging cable anymore. I had to struggle to insert it far enough to make any contact at all, and then it can only trickle-charge. Took me most of the day to go from 5% to 100%. Some google advice suggested cleaning the charging port, which I did to no avail. I did try two other cords with the same problem, so it's the port.

Can the charging port be replaced for a reasonable price in a Galaxy S10? I'm going to take it to the local screwdriver shop later this week but I'd like to go in forearmed with a little knowledge. The interwebs seem to indicate that it's not a big deal.

I just paid this phone off two months ago. :grund:
I had that problem with my S10. The cheapest solution was just to buy a wireless charger.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I don't know the answer to your question, but have you considered checking out wireless charging? i.e. bypass the port.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wireless chargers can be had for under $20 these days.
It's almost as if people are the problem.