[Poll] Vaccine Mandates - Yay or Nay

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

[Poll] Vaccine Mandates - Yay or Nay

I am in favor of requiring people to get the Covid vaccine
78%
I am in favor of giving people the option of getting the vaccine or having weekly testing
8%
I am not in favor of a vaccine mandate but instead using other coercive measures such as higher insurance premiums, requiring vaccine passports for certain activities (large public such as concerts, sports) and travel
10%
Let people choose to risk death if they want - it's America!
3%

Total votes: 59

LordMortis

Re: [Poll] Vaccine Mandates - Yay or Nay

Post by LordMortis »

TheMix wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:25 pm That's a good point. Along the lines of "would you still have broken the vase if I hadn't said anything?"

I wonder if the same could be said for Trump.

I vaguely remember my mom telling me that she voted D in some election, but didn't tell my dad because he was very much in the R camp. But with Trump, and how openly vocal everything became, I wonder how many families suddenly discovered that they were way more opposed than previously thought.
Trump sent me away from a chunk of my family. My cousin getting COVID and going on a vent and the (anti vax disinformation) reaction of a portion of that corner of the family has moved my dad away from them, even as he still supports my (non vaccinated) mother and the idea that vaccine needs to be an individual choice. I think the final straw was his infected brother in law (my uncle) coming into their house and not caring about the fact he came from a spreader event or bothering to get tested until he got laid up sick. Of course, that's about as anecdotal as things can get.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:22 pm A bizarre aspect of this question is, had there been no covid none of the friction based on it would have come to light. Happily married couples would never have known there was an issue lurking that could divide them to the core. I wonder if there are any stats on divorce due to covid opinions.
Covid is an accelerator.
It's forced us all to reassess.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Archinerd wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:40 pm
Jaymann wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:22 pm A bizarre aspect of this question is, had there been no covid none of the friction based on it would have come to light. Happily married couples would never have known there was an issue lurking that could divide them to the core. I wonder if there are any stats on divorce due to covid opinions.
Covid is an accelerator.
It's forced us all to reassess.
Yeah. I was just thinking about it some more. It's probably not that different from the way it's always been. It's more that the polarization of... everything... has trickled down to the individual/family level. Just like 30 years ago there were sides in the senate, but they still worked together, 30 years ago people could disagree on politics without it ending relationships. But now. I would definitely not marry a Trump supporter or Covid denier/anti-vaxxer. And I'd really be struggling if I was in a relationship with one.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I think Trumpism and Covid had laid bare that a large proportion of the American population is just stupid - willing to believe anything as long as it fits with their preconceived notions. Seriously just watch this CNN interview with big MAGA Facebook poster, who continues to follow her path and deny reality no matter what she is confronted with:

I see it all the time from some of my very conservative friends. It's just insane and totally detached from reality.

Damn, can't get this link to work for some reason, so go to the CNN home page and look for "CNN Reporter Shows Trump Supported Her Debunked Facebook Posts".
Last edited by Grifman on Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:09 am
We disagree completely on this issue and don't discuss it anymore. But this is not a raving MAGA idiot. It is an intelligent, rational person with informed views on other issues.
What's preventing them from having an informed view on this issue?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:19 pm
Jaymann wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:09 am
We disagree completely on this issue and don't discuss it anymore. But this is not a raving MAGA idiot. It is an intelligent, rational person with informed views on other issues.
What's preventing them from having an informed view on this issue?
That is the question that drives me crazy. As Smoove said, there is no talking down from the ledge.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:33 pm
So hypothetically, if you were married to someone who held those opinions, but was totally reasonable on everything else, would you call them an idiot? Divorce them?
Regardless of what I would say and do, IMO, they'd be an idiot, regardless. And I have no idea what I would do - I certainly wouldn't divorce them, but I would be greatly disappointed in their stance.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

changed from embedding to a URL so you can just click the link unless you are JeffV
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'd really prefer that option 3 could be successful, but there just wouldn't be enough teeth I feel, so I went with 1.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:40 pm I'd really prefer that option 3 could be successful, but there just wouldn't be enough teeth I feel, so I went with 1.
We tried it for 5 months now. It was actually option #1. We'd continue trying it, given our druthers, but the virus is mutating fast enough that the risk associated with that approach has now outgrown our druthers, and it has hit a resilient ceiling which isn't good enough.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:27 pm
changed from embedding to a URL so you can just click the link unless you are JeffV
Weird because that is what I thought I did! Just copied the link from the browser.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Grifman wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:30 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:27 pm
Weird because that is what I thought I did! Just copied the link from the browser.
You did, but you need to highlight that text and then hit the little chain-link button to surround it in <URL> </URL> quotes.

You just pasted the link... which sometimes works, as our forum does try to pass that link along from time to time, but it also seems to be easily defeated.

so - fail safe: surround it with the tags that you can see if you press that chain-link icon after the Insert Image tag

if you temporarily quote LM's reply with a working link, you can see the syntax.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Grifman wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:25 pm
Jaymann wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:33 pm
So hypothetically, if you were married to someone who held those opinions, but was totally reasonable on everything else, would you call them an idiot? Divorce them?
Regardless of what I would say and do, IMO, they'd be an idiot, regardless. And I have no idea what I would do - I certainly wouldn't divorce them, but I would be greatly disappointed in their stance.
No question that my marriage would be over if I discovered my wife was an anti-vaxxer. It would run so contrary to the core of who I believe she is, that I wouldn't be able to deal with that.

I'm in the Grifman camp here, I think: If you haven't gotten the COVID vaccine yet (and you don't have a legit medical reason for not getting it or, perhaps, a true religious/spiritual belief that prevents getting it), you are an idiot, plain and simple.

I could not remain married to someone I believed was an idiot.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah... There is no way I could partner with and trust an anti-vaxxer. I'd much sooner pair up with a flat-earther, no joke.
Formix

Post by Formix »

[\quote]

I'm in the Grifman camp here, I think: If you haven't gotten the COVID vaccine yet (and you don't have a legit medical reason for not getting it or, perhaps, a true religious/spiritual belief that prevents getting it), you are an idiot, plain and simple.

I could not remain married to someone I believed was an idiot.
[/quote]

So I've been wondering about this. What is a true religious/spiritual belief in not getting vaccinated? Would it have to be the kinds of folks who refuse all medical treatment? If their religion is okay with the ER, are they "allowed" to believe that their god doesn't approve of mRNA vaccines? What does it take for your religious exemption to be "valid"? If my Pastafarianism says trousers are of the devil, can I get a religious exemption from wearing them at work? Or as a better analogy as something that might hurt others, can I wear my religious razor-sharp katana hat to work if I might injure other people? If my brother gets his online minister certification in the Church of the Fight Club, can I randomly punch you in the face?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The infamous Christian Scientist would seem like an example but, even they:
Do not require that Christian Scientists avoid all medical care—adherents use dentists, optometrists, obstetricians, physicians for broken bones, and vaccination when required by law
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’ve read about some absurd exceptions in the workplace using ‘religious reasons’ as the excuse.

‘Anti-vax due to religious beliefs’ doesn’t even make that list.

I think it depends on
1. How willing and committed the person is to that particular fight
2. Company size (and related: public or private co.?)
3. Union?
4. Location (MS or MA?)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I’ve read about some absurd exceptions in the workplace using ‘religious reasons’ as the excuse.

‘Anti-vax due to religious beliefs’ doesn’t even make that list.

I think it depends on
1. How willing and committed the person is to that particular fight
2. Company size (and related: public or private co.?)
3. Union?
4. Location (MS or MA?)
Anti-vax due to religious beliefs is generally for vaccines developed using stem cells, etc.

It shouldn't apply for mRNA vaccines, but is basically grandfathered for older vaccines which do.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.