Another failed Presidency...

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Drazzil

Re: Another failed Presidency...

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:53 pm
Drazzil wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:50 pm
Unagi wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:57 am Empty the prisons? But gosh Drazzil. You aren’t even thinking like a proper villain... Manchin has children and grandchildren.

Perhaps real leadership here depends on Biden’s ability to threaten the families of congress?

/eye roll... if that wasn’t apparent.
Yeah and I promised not to talk about wanting violence in R&P. So. I wont.
That's like promising to stop talking about fishing, but then still talking about how much you really really want to catch a fish.
How is blackmail violence? Its just threatening prosecution for misdeeds if the asshole doesen't cooperate.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Drazzil wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:21 pm
Unagi wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:57 am Empty the prisons? But gosh Drazzil. You aren’t even thinking like a proper villain... Manchin has children and grandchildren.

Perhaps real leadership here depends on Biden’s ability to threaten the families of congress?

That's like promising to stop talking about fishing, but then still talking about how much you really really want to catch a fish.
How is blackmail violence? Its just threatening prosecution for misdeeds if the asshole doesen't cooperate.
That's not the question.
The question is 'how is your call for blackmail akin to you wishing they would threaten violence'.

Because you talk about ridiculous things like 'using the full power of this fully armed and operational president'... but then pretend to be "in line" because you only suggest the modest criminal behavior of blackmail, but you are more than clear your cynicism doesn't preclude (but would rather applaud) the most mafia like of attempt for Biden to 'lead'.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Also, you would likely be the first person to suggest that blackmail was just ‘the threat of prosecution for misdeeds’

Lol.

I mean. Shit, yeah... if Biden is sitting on photos of Manchin breaking into the bank, maybe we should indeed suggest he fall in line, before we give em up to the fuzz.

I mean, legitimately, do you know of something Biden could hold against Manchin in a court of law?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:08 am Also, you would likely be the first person to suggest that blackmail was just ‘the threat of prosecution for misdeeds’

Lol.

I mean. Shit, yeah... if Biden is sitting on photos of Manchin breaking into the bank, maybe we should indeed suggest he fall in line, before we give em up to the fuzz.

I mean, legitimately, do you know of something Biden could hold against Manchin in a court of law?
I'm sure a president of the United States has access to law enforcement agencies that can do off the book investigations. These people could investigate Manchin and his circle for misdeeds. Then the blackmail could ensue. Actually if I were president that'd be the first thing I'd do. Investigate EVERYONE in congress, down low, or at least the ones on the other side. Off the books.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:58 pm

That's not the question.
The question is 'how is your call for blackmail akin to you wishing they would threaten violence'.

Because you talk about ridiculous things like 'using the full power of this fully armed and operational president'... but then pretend to be "in line" because you only suggest the modest criminal behavior of blackmail, but you are more than clear your cynicism doesn't preclude (but would rather applaud) the most mafia like of attempt for Biden to 'lead'.
I know you intend this to indicate I'm doing something wrong, but goddamn, do you think the other side *doesn't* do this? You guys are clinging to norms and ideals that will ABSOLUTELY lead to one party rule and permanent minority forever. Are you really comfortable with NOT doing drastic things to preserve a country?

I'm sorry but as someone sitting at the bottom of this system I am NOT okay with this. Maybe the reason that no one wants to save this thing is because, somewhere at the back of your collective minds, you are absolutely okay with the status quo. You're all comfortable, own houses, have jobs, and cushy 401k's. So you ignore the fact that if someone somewhere on our side doesn't start doing unconventional stuff, its all over. The big cat isn't (immediately) coming to eat your face, and if it did, you could jump countries to somewhere better.

Abiding by the rules and the laws and all the red tape the other side has thrown up will be the death of the country as we know it. Deny it all you like. If one party doesen't abide by the norms the system is untenable. We'll cling to the remnants of the Titanic as it goes down in the icy water.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:58 pm

That's not the question.

"full power of this fully armed and operational president"

LOL!

We have a window, which is rapidly closing to save our country. I say we do whatever it takes. WHAT-EVER it takes to keep the Republicans (The batshit, racist, insane and literally treasonous party) from destroying our country. I say that the other side has made any other means of preserving anything approaching the status quo absolutely untenable. If we play by the rules, that they changed. We lose. America loses.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

This lady on medium gets it.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It’s not a coincidence Sen. Manchin starts saying he won’t support the budget bill at the same time Ways and Means announces its plans for tax increases.

Drazzil, you claim it’s all broken and we need to burn down the system when each side is using leverage of the press. Politics is ugly, but you quickly suggest that if just the side you want to win is uglier then they’ll win. Things don’t work that way. But there will be back room knock-down drag-out fights. Read between the lines, and you’ll see the blood you want.

In addition to the show. Manchin and Sienna are going to sign something — they have to. The alternative is failure of Democratic Congress.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Yaknow...

Spoilered for personal stuff:
Spoiler:
If you guys all think I'm a whackjob on this, perhaps I should take a step back, back outta politics discussions for a bit and take the next week off and work on myself. I need employment and I have some pretty good leads. I should also avoid collapse reddits and the like. You guys got me. I need to work on myself and this BS is all extremely depressing. I suspect, I am right on this stuff and you guys are wrong, but its like screaming into a void, and I need a break.
You guys all have fun! :D See you in a week!
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Drazzil wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:16 am
Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:08 am Also, you would likely be the first person to suggest that blackmail was just ‘the threat of prosecution for misdeeds’

Lol.

I'm sure a president of the United States has access to law enforcement agencies that can do off the book investigations. These people could investigate Manchin and his circle for misdeeds. Then the blackmail could ensue. Actually if I were president that'd be the first thing I'd do. Investigate EVERYONE in congress, down low, or at least the ones on the other side. Off the books.
So you're going to be Trump?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Another series of damning stories are leaking out about another avenue of Biden administration incompetence. I sarcastically once said he might be the 21st century Buchanan. Maybe I wasn't that far off. I'm mostly kidding here -- while getting a bit worried -- but he is definitely not inspiring a ton of confidence. He is running a bottom quartile administration at this point. That can easily go the other way but this has been rocky year to say the least.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

He's certainly giving Trump a shot to take back the office and pretty much finish the job of killing this country. It's been a mess so far. So freaking disappointing.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Octavious wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:10 pm He's certainly giving Trump a shot to take back the office and pretty much finish the job of killing this country. It's been a mess so far. So freaking disappointing.
If he doesnt kill it first.
He's still got 3 years to go!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Charles Blow decides to take his pound of flesh.
Joe Biden, once again, disappointed many of the same Black voters who were his strongest supporters. How much of this can or should Black people stand?

The latest offense was the administration’s disastrous mishandling of the Haitian migrant crisis at the southern border.

Yes, there were the outrageous images of agents on horseback herding the migrants like cattle, and there was also the administration aggressively deporting the migrants back to Haiti.

When I see those Black bodies at the border, I am unable to separate them from myself, or my family, or my friends. They are us. There is a collective consciousness in blackness, born of the white supremacist erasure of our individuality.

Your accomplishment is never your own, but a credit to the race. Your sins are never your own, but a stain on the race. In America, and throughout the diaspora, all Black people are linked together like a chain of paper dolls.

So it has been incredibly painful to witness the treatment of the Haitians, and it has been impossible not to recoil in disgust or burn with outrage. And to think, “This is happening on Joe Biden’s watch.”

The Biden administration and Democrats in general always seem to say the right things on racial issues, but too often their deeds come up short when measured against their talk.

The Haitian migrant crisis came as negotiations over federal police reform have collapsed and a law guaranteeing federal voting protections is still bogged down in Congress.

At a certain point, words ring hollow, even when they are the right words. At a certain point, success in one area fails to cover deficiencies in another.

The Biden administration’s handling of the Haitians was just wrong. It was also heartbreaking and disgusting.
I can certainly understand the frustration, but I'm honestly not sure what Biden could have done about the Haitian situation other than deport them. If he had done anything else, the thousands under the Del Rio bridge would have been replaced by tens of thousands within a few weeks. Unless Biden is ready to just open the border, he has to draw a line somewhere.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

stimpy wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:29 am
Octavious wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:10 pm He's certainly giving Trump a shot to take back the office and pretty much finish the job of killing this country. It's been a mess so far. So freaking disappointing.
If he doesnt kill it first.
He's still got 3 years to go!!!
His list is still incredibly shallow compared to his predecessor by this point. By the end of his four years, Florida Man had whipped the country into a caustic stew of reality denial, anti-intellectualism, racism, and division - and then seasoned his bile with the needless deaths of half a million US citizens for good measure.

No. The people who voted Florida Man out will stand up and keep him out. Biden wasn't my first, second, or even third choice - but the alternative to pushing the dumpster further down the road was to dump gasoline into it and light a match.

In some alternate reality right now, Florida Man is pushing congress to become "King" of America, middle America has declared war on the Eastern and Western seaboards, and COVID rages unchecked to claim 2.7 million lives.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think Biden's making tough choices that are *probably* correct in the long-term, but are unpopular in the short term. Unfortunately in today's world, short-term is all that matters. While I applaud him making decisions that will pay dividends years down the road, I fear we won't have those years as a functional democracy when Trump 2 is elected based off Biden's perceived missteps.
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:03 pm I think Biden's making tough choices that are *probably* correct in the long-term, but are unpopular in the short term.
Sure but that isn't what is ailing him. Leaving Afghanistan was popular. He somehow made it unpopular - or more accurately he turned something that should have been a positive into a big negative. That's a bit of bad luck and a bit of flat out incompetence in his administration. You can point to several other areas where failure to execute with competence and speed looks like the problem. To be a little fair, he also was saddled with an unstable political coalition and some of this is because of that plus a dash of the usual Republican obstruction tactics.
Unfortunately in today's world, short-term is all that matters. While I applaud him making decisions that will pay dividends years down the road, I fear we won't have those years as a functional democracy when Trump 2 is elected based off Biden's perceived missteps.
He desperately needs to show us that he can govern. So far it isn't looking good.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I guess I'm finding it hard to be overly critical after four years of Trump. He had a messy withdrawal from Afghanistan, there was some Haitian immigration stuff, and an Australian sub deal. How that constitutes "he can't govern" after four years of the absolute dumpster fire that was his predecessor is something I can't wrap my head around.
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:06 pm I guess I'm finding it hard to be overly critical after four years of Trump. He had a messy withdrawal from Afghanistan, there was some Haitian immigration stuff, and an Australian sub deal. How that constitutes "he can't govern" after four years of the absolute dumpster fire that was his predecessor is something I can't wrap my head around.
I get that but Biden was supposed to be a return to good governance. Instead we're getting bad to mediocre governance. Not exactly what we needed as a shot in the arm post-Trump. In the end, he has a year to get a lot of traction. They need to stop making blunders. One thing is certain. He isn't going to be graded against Trump - he is a lifelong politician and was vice-President for 8 years. His bar was always going to be higher but he simply isn't getting it done.

Paingod got it right (for the wrong reasons :) ) - his list of accomplishments is relatively thin. Right now he has the COVID emergency funding and the vaccine roll out as clear wins. Back in March/April. Even on that front the public is unfairly unhappy with his progress on that as of late. The wins otherwise are long-term as mentioned and there is a lot of suffering out there right now.

So it comes down to the optics of the situation. We're rolling into October of his first year and he doesn't have much to show for it. His party is fighting each other in public. The Republicans are threatening a default again. Delta is raging. People are pessimistic for the right reasons here. The good news is that the storyline could change dramatically in the next few weeks. However, his polling is troublingly low for a reason. He's lost independents and even some of his democratic base. The media stories and mood are changing based on that. Deserved or not he is heading into troubling waters unless they can change the story.
Last edited by malchior on Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Paingod wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:28 pm His list is still incredibly shallow compared to his predecessor by this point.
Pointing to a article that has these gems as "memorable moments" is a hoot:

Feb. 6, 2017: No bathrobe
Pushing back on a New York Times article which said that Trump watches a lot of cable news in his bathrobe, Spicer argues that the president does not own one.

May 8, 2017: Two scoops
Trump hosts TIME correspondents at a private dinner in the White House in which he is served two scoops of ice cream, while everyone else gets one. This becomes a meme.

May 20, 2017: The orb
During a visit to Riyadh, Trump, the king of Saudi Arabia and the president of Egypt pose for a photo while touching a glowing orb.

Professional journalism at it's finest.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
malchior

Post by malchior »

If you think that is the problem with piece then you're missing the point of the piece.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Little Raven wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:56 pm
I can certainly understand the frustration, but I'm honestly not sure what Biden could have done about the Haitian situation other than deport them. If he had done anything else, the thousands under the Del Rio bridge would have been replaced by tens of thousands within a few weeks. Unless Biden is ready to just open the border, he has to draw a line somewhere.
[/quote]

Agreed, and the complaints about police reform and voting rights totally ignore the fact that the Democrats are blocked in the Senate.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

stimpy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:22 pm Professional journalism at it's finest.
I love this complaint from an internet user.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

malchior wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:27 pm If you think that is the problem with piece then you're missing the point of the piece.
Didnt say it was the point, just found it amusing that the author deemed these "memorable moments".
2 SCOOPS????!!!! OMG!!!!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

The Meal wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:54 am
Coming from someone who writes some of the most long winded posts on said internet, I can see why you'd love that complaint.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

stimpy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:18 pm
The Meal wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:54 am
Coming from someone who writes some of the most long winded posts on said internet, I can see why you'd love that complaint.
Are you thinking of someone else? What a hoot.
malchior

Post by malchior »

stimpy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:15 pm
malchior wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:27 pm If you think that is the problem with piece then you're missing the point of the piece.
Didnt say it was the point, just found it amusing that the author deemed these "memorable moments".
2 SCOOPS????!!!! OMG!!!!!!
Ok. And I find it amusing that you picked out one bit that is absurd *to you* and used it to paint a broad brush about their journalist capability.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Grifman wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:09 am
Little Raven wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:56 pm
Agreed, and the complaints about police reform and voting rights totally ignore the fact that the Democrats are blocked in the Senate.
[/quote]
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

It's the typical 1st term Democrat presidency where they have to try to fix all of the shit left to them by the Republicans. He'll succeed in a second term, but be vilified for not being a miracle worker sooner and shitbags worm their way back in, solving nothing.
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:53 pm It's the typical 1st term Democrat presidency where they have to try to fix all of the shit left to them by the Republicans. He'll succeed in a second term, but be vilified for not being a miracle worker sooner and shitbags worm their way back in, solving nothing.
You're assuming he will get a second term.

Post by Default »

Why wouldn't he? Trump runs again and everyone knows he's a white supremacist.

The GOP gets crushed in the national election again, and more of the OWP has had four years more to die off.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Default wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:45 pm The GOP gets crushed in the national election again, and more of the OWP has had four years more to die off.
I think this is why Biden is allowing the new South African variant to come to our country. Anything to cull the herds of knuckleheads.
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Default wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:45 pm Why wouldn't he? Trump runs again and everyone knows he's a white supremacist.

The GOP gets crushed in the national election again, and more of the OWP has had four years more to die off.
Crushed? again? The DNC Barely won a sliver of a margin in the house and is projected to get swept in 22. Add to this a lot of the state governments that refused to play their parts in the GOP's reichstag moment won't be around in 24.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:19 pm
Default wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:45 pm The GOP gets crushed in the national election again, and more of the OWP has had four years more to die off.
I think this is why Biden is allowing the new South African variant to come to our country. Anything to cull the herds of knuckleheads.
Think COVID will be able to cover jerrymandering's spread?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:16 am
Default wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:45 pm Why wouldn't he? Trump runs again and everyone knows he's a white supremacist.

Crushed? again? The DNC Barely won a sliver of a margin in the house and is projected to get swept in 22.
That isn't a national election.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

To be fair, neither is the election of the President.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Unagi wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:53 am To be fair, neither is the election of the President.
To me, that everyone in the country has the same candidates on their ballots (with rare exceptions) makes it national. Just because the president is chosen by state electors, doesn't mean it isn't national.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ok, yes. Under that way of looking at it, I agree.
It’s the one election we all weigh in on.

It just doesn’t then extend to me feeling bold about how Trump was ‘creamed’, nationally, in 2020. The numbers were there, but maybe not where we need em (looking forward)
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

So no one wants to venture a guess as to if covid is gonna kill enough of the other side to overcome republican fuckery?

My immediate kneejerk answer is no. Not if the health system holds out. If the doctors, nurses and professionals stay then no. Especially with the new antivirals.
Last edited by Drazzil on Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Why would anyone want to do that?