Eviction Crisis is Here

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Eviction Crisis is Here

Post by malchior »

More coverage here at the Guardian. Not that I am a huge fan of the moratorium since it just shifts the burden to another party but just hoping it'll work out just seems like folly.
Tenants saddled with months of back rent were facing the end of the federal eviction moratorium on Saturday, a move that could lead to millions being forced from their homes as the highly contagious Delta coronavirus variant spreads.

The Biden administration said on Thursday it would allow the nationwide ban to expire, saying it wanted to extend it but its hands were tied after the supreme court signaled in June that it wouldn’t be extended beyond the end of July without congressional action.

House lawmakers on Friday failed to pass a bill to extend the moratorium even a few months. Some Democrats had wanted it extended until the end of the year.

“August is going to be a rough month because a lot of people will be displaced from their homes,” said Jeffrey Hearne, director of litigation for Legal Services of Greater Miami. “It will be at numbers we haven’t seen before. There are a lot of people who are protected by the … moratorium.”

The moratorium, put in place by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in September, helped keep 2 million people in their homes as the pandemic battered the economy, according to the Princeton University’s Eviction Lab.
Smoove_B

Re: Eviction Crisis is Here

Post by Smoove_B »

What the Guardian article doesn't include, but should be noted:
When the eviction moratorium lifts, the people who will be evicted first will be black and Hispanic mothers and children. Being a child is the single greatest predictor of an eviction and all else equal.
All that is terrible to begin with, then add the pandemic:
And this is particularly concerning because children are not eligible under age 12 for vaccination. So when they are expelled from their home, they will be at heightened risk of contracting the COVID-19 virus, especially the Delta variant. And this is also particularly concerning because the communities there at the highest risk of eviction also have the lowest vaccination rates due to significant barriers to accessing health care at this time.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Didn't a bunch of Repugnicans vote against extending the moratorium? Democrats need to frame them as Simon Legree and juxtapose their faces with families getting evicted.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:21 am Didn't a bunch of Repugnicans vote against extending the moratorium? Democrats need to frame them as Simon Legree and juxtapose their faces with families getting evicted.
There has been some attempts already to do so but this is already being framed up as a major Democratic fumble. The quote below appears to be a real, "Democrats in disarray" moment. The White House and Congress are finger pointing at each other. Pelosi was quoted as saying with a straight face they only had a day or two to prepare a bill. The SCOTUS ruling came down a month ago. I think the negative characterizations are somewhat fair. They were elected to govern and they've got to deliver. Or at least pass a bill to make the Republican's block it to enable that messaging. Guess they'll get back to it after the break.
CNN wrote:It's like Democrats in the White House and Congress forgot the date.

Now it's the first of the month and rent -- and back rent -- is suddenly due for millions of Americans who have been shielded from eviction during the pandemic.
Millions of households could face eviction over the next month -- when lawmakers on are on their annual August recess -- and some have predicted a full-blown eviction crisis, just as a surge in Covid cases from the highly contagious Delta variant may be prompting renewed calls for people to stay home and keep their distance.

"We only learned of this yesterday," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told reporters Friday evening after the House tried and failed to pass legislation that would extend the federal eviction moratorium. "There was not enough time to socialize it within our caucus as well as to build a consensus necessary," she said, with a promise from her top lieutenant to revisit the issue ASAP. Probably after the break.

Pelosi was likely referring to the fact that the Biden administration only formally asked Congress to pass an extension on Thursday, two days before the program expired.
Some White House officials made a late-stage push last week to reexamine the legal potential for President Joe Biden to extend the moratorium but were told by administration lawyers it wasn't possible, according to people familiar with the deliberations.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh those poor red states in the south. Maybe Trumpy will pay for their rent.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:49 am Oh those poor red states in the south. Maybe Trumpy will pay for their rent.
That's where it's worst. Nearly everywhere will be affected.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, you can see an interactive map here, though the data is ~30 days old.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The thing is sooner or later the moratorium is going to expire. Even if it's extended another year or two. Then what ? I'd be willing to bet those people who didn't pay anything aren't going to be able to pay the back pay.
So people for the most part should have their jobs back. Yes, I know things aren't completely back to pre-pandemic days. But they're not near as bad as at the peak either.
The point is unless the government is willing to pay most all of it there's going to be a lot of homeless people.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I hope that this crisis leads to an advancement in class consciousness. However I believe that this will just be used as a weapon by the Repugnants to use against the Donothin's during the midterms. I fear this will lead to a breakdown in order.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

malchior wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:43 amThere has been some attempts already to do so but this is already being framed up as a major Democratic fumble.
That's definitely how its being spun, but that's not the reality. Even the Democrats aren't THAT much of a mess. This isn't "Democrats forgot what day it is." It's "most Democrats are not The Squad."

Unless we're going to completely change the rules about how a huge part of our economy works, the moratorium was going to have to go at some point, and I suspect most Democratic donors lean towards the landlords at this point.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
malchior

Post by malchior »

Little Raven wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:46 pm
malchior wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:43 amThere has been some attempts already to do so but this is already being framed up as a major Democratic fumble.
That's definitely how its being spun, but that's not the reality. Even the Democrats aren't THAT much of a mess. This isn't "Democrats forgot what day it is." It's "most Democrats are not The Squad."[/quote}
I don't get this take at all. it doesn't matter what the reality is. It matters what people believe. The Republicans know this all too well. Now they get to run around talking about how the Democrats can't govern and they need to get out of the way of the economy. It's a failure. The Democrats knew this day was coming and simply didn't have a political plan for it.
Unless we're going to completely change the rules about how a huge part of our economy works, the moratorium was going to have to go at some point, and I suspect most Democratic donors lean towards the landlords at this point.
Sure but that doesn't mean they just let it fall on the floor unhandled. That's the persistent incompetence of the Democrats. There is plenty of money allocated, not enough but something to point at and say let the process work, and they could have pivoted to efforts to pass some token bill with a plan to have the Republicans spike it. It'd be cynical as hell but it is what McConnell would do. And it wouldn't even be evil - it'd just be hardball politics.

Edit: This is their message? It's a mess.

Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

malchior wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:15 pmNow they get to run around talking about how the Democrats can't govern and they need to get out of the way of the economy.
Sure, but Republicans running around arguing that Democrats are incompetent is way better than Democrats running around arguing with each other about what they should do. The last thing Pelosi wants to do is give AOC more ammunition. Much easier to just say "Oh, wow. Was that happening TODAY? Gosh....didn't see that one coming. Can the CDC maybe take this one?"
Sure but that doesn't mean they just let it fall on the floor unhandled. That's the persistent incompetence of the Democrats. There is plenty of money allocated, not enough but something to point at and say let the process work, and they could have pivoted to efforts to pass some token bill with a plan to have the Republicans spike it.
I don't think there's enough consensus to even form a token bill, or I assume they would have done just that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tampa Bay Times
The state of Florida has received more than $870 million from the federal government to make landlords whole and keep renters in their homes during the pandemic, and expects to receive a grand total of more than $1.56 billion as more money is distributed.

It’s given out around 2 percent of what it’s gotten so far.
Florida used its money to establish a statewide rental assistance program called OUR Florida. As of July 13, the state had distributed just $3.9 million, according to a news release sent out by the Florida Department of Children and Families, which is overseeing the program. At that time, the department said it expected to bring the total to $27.9 million by the end of this month. However, in a Friday email, the department said it had distributed only $18.3 million to about 4,300 applicants, and encouraged more people to apply at OurFlorida.com.
McManus said OUR Florida has received more than 30,000 applications, and most that haven’t been approved “are awaiting action by the tenant to provide additional information or documentation.” She said the program has made 80,000 calls in an effort to collect the required documents and “complete applications that match registered landlords can be processed and verified in as little as 18 days.”
But Florida is not alone in its slow distribution. Nationally, only about 6.5 percent of the approximately $46.5 billion set aside for the program, or 12 percent of its initial stage of funding, had been distributed by the end of June, according to a recent report by the U.S. Treasury Department.
How long before the state governments or Congresscritters start making noise about retasking those funds.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Little Raven wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:34 pm
malchior wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:15 pmNow they get to run around talking about how the Democrats can't govern and they need to get out of the way of the economy.
Sure, but Republicans running around arguing that Democrats are incompetent is way better than Democrats running around arguing with each other about what they should do. The last thing Pelosi wants to do is give AOC more ammunition. Much easier to just say "Oh, wow. Was that happening TODAY? Gosh....didn't see that one coming. Can the CDC maybe take this one?"
I don't get this at all. The lack of a plan enabled AOC to go on tv and tell the truth which was that Pelosi/leadership made a huge unforced error and then let everyone go on vacation. This is potentially going to be Ted Cruz in Cancun on steroids. AOC even laid out a call for action for her colleagues to figure it out and come back from the break on demand to address it. In any case, the damage hasn't been realized. If this blows up into a major political crisis for them, AOC stands to reap a reward here. The Republicans aren't the only problem Pelosi faces.
I don't think there's enough consensus to even form a token bill, or I assume they would have done just that.
Yeah - it really comes down to assumptions about their competence. My baseline assumption is that they're always reacting...badly to whatever is happening. I don't think it's too far off from the truth.

Edit: one more comment but the CDC thing would likely be a huge mistake if the administration went down that route. SCOTUS basically said they were going to allow it to extend to July 31st because it was expiring. Roberts explicitly said Congress would need to extend it. If the CDC tried to promulgate another order, they might get a few weeks out of it before the necessary filings worked through the system and then they'll almost certainly be dealt a blow. In other words, Pelosi is calling for a life line which would become a huge unforced error for the administration. This is what I'm talking about when I say the Democrats are politically incompetent. They aren't even looking 2 or 3 obvious moves down the board.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

malchior wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:22 pmThe lack of a plan enabled AOC to go on tv and tell the truth which was that Pelosi/leadership made a huge unforced error and then let everyone go on vacation.
See, this is the difference in assumptions. You assume that Pelosi has gone senile and let everyone go home without realizing what's going on. I think that Pelosi saw herself trapped between a rock and hard place, and made a conscious decision about which way to jump.

Sure, AOC gets to go on TV once and complain about how Pelosi dropped the ball. But Pelosi is spared AOC going on television over and over again to complain about this moderate or that moderate that doesn't support extending the moratorium. And there would be a LOT of those moderates. Democrats are the party of big finance, after all. They are the very serious people, as you like to call them. And an awful lot of very serious people are deeply engaged in the real estate market.
Republicans aren't the only problem Pelosi faces.
I suspect she is aware. Democrats of all stripes hate Trump - but that's about all they agree on. Keeping her party intact no doubt takes a great deal of her attention.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Little Raven wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:35 pm
malchior wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:22 pmThe lack of a plan enabled AOC to go on tv and tell the truth which was that Pelosi/leadership made a huge unforced error and then let everyone go on vacation.
See, this is the difference in assumptions. You assume that Pelosi has gone senile and let everyone go home without realizing what's going on. I think that Pelosi saw herself trapped between a rock and hard place, and made a conscious decision about which way to jump.
Who said anything about senility. One of the things about the Democratic party that critics point out is that they are continuously divided and politically incompetent. Some (much?) of that is just big tent stuff but that stories like this exist? Only the Democrats can be this stupid. There is a wide chasm between the fawning authoritarian instincts of the GOP and the Democrats capacity to walk into trouble eyes wide open, retreat back inside the walls, and then get into a gunfight with each other.
I suspect she is aware. Democrats of all stripes hate Trump - but that's about all they agree on. Keeping her party intact no doubt takes a great deal of her attention.
Turning this into a major pissing match between Congress and the White House and then leaving town? What a way to keep a party together.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I don't actually agree with this take, but it's certainly getting the press.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Being Commander in Chief has its privileges. The House gets to spend the money.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Another solid message from a Democrat. Hey we didn't like the last authoritarian much but can you be an authoritarian (for the benefit of the good!) because we can't govern.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Little Raven wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:45 pm

I don't actually agree with this take, but it's certainly getting the press.
I've always thought the 'Prez could bomb the shit out of whoever they wanted to - but the declaration of war to fund an ongoing conflict somewhere had to pass the houses. I'm not a history/political scholar, though.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Paingod wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:53 pmI've always thought the 'Prez could bomb the shit out of whoever they wanted to - but the declaration of war to fund an ongoing conflict somewhere had to pass the houses. I'm not a history/political scholar, though.
You are (mostly) correct, and Jamaal is either ignorant of or ignoring the Authorization for the Use of Military Force of 2001, which basically means the President can bomb whoever they want as long as they yell "Terrorist!" first.

I rather suspect the latter, since he is, you know, a Congressman.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I think this is going to be a huge Huge HUGE topic in the upcoming midterm elections. It shows the bare faced cowardice and stupidity of the Democrats. We have one party bent on destroying "democracy" and another party that colludes with the GOP to let it happen.

Michael Moore wrote something along the lines of "The two party system is like two 300 lb gorilla's pounding you in the ass, only one wears a mask and whispers "I love you" into your ear when they do it"

This right here is why you can't turn out more then fifty percent of the population to vote.

No amount of hair on fire dire predictions about "sav our democracy plz!!!11!!" from the Democrats is going to get people to turn out and vote if the Donothing's keep... well. Doing NOTHING to help people who work for a living.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Drazzil wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:45 pm I think this is going to be a huge Huge HUGE topic in the upcoming midterm elections. It shows the bare faced cowardice and stupidity of the Democrats. We have one party bent on destroying "democracy" and another party that colludes with the GOP to let it happen.

Michael Moore wrote something along the lines of "The two party system is like two 300 lb gorilla's pounding you in the ass, only one wears a mask and whispers "I love you" into your ear when they do it"

This right here is why you can't turn out more then fifty percent of the population to vote.

No amount of hair on fire dire predictions about "sav our democracy plz!!!11!!" from the Democrats is going to get people to turn out and vote if the Donothing's keep... well. Doing NOTHING to help people who work for a living.
The US poverty rate dropped from 13.9% before the pandemic to a projected 7.7% thru the end of this year, and child poverty fell from a projected 30.1% to just 5.6%. That's not nothing.

However...
The report finds that by the end of 2021, governments at the federal and state levels will have plowed more than $1 trillion dollars in benefits into the bank accounts of low-income Americans, far more than the $237 billion they paid out in 2018.

“The average person below poverty is getting almost two and a half times more from the government in 2021, than they did in 2018,” Wheaton said. “And so that really makes a difference.”

The majority of the additional support injected into the economy this year is expected to disappear in the near term. Stimulus checks have been distributed and no additional round of payments is on the horizon; expanded unemployment insurance is scheduled to sunset by later this year -- and has already been canceled in some states; likewise, expanded SNAP payments are ending. Most of the subsidy programs were financed through deficit spending.
Capitalism's dirty little secret is that it needs a large underclass in order to function. People won't take shitty jobs if they aren't faced with hunger and homelessness.
“Often, we think of poverty as an inevitable social problem; but this is indicating how it's actually a policy choice in many ways,” said Sarah Halpern-Meekin, a professor in the LaFollette School of Public Affairs and the Department of Human Development and Family Studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

At the most basic level, she said, the major lesson here is simple: “Policy works. If we give folks money, they will end up above the poverty line. That, I think, is the most fundamental lesson.”

Indivar Dutta-Gupta, the co-executive director of the Center on Poverty and Inequality at Georgetown Law School, agreed, saying, “The central takeaway from the Urban Institute report...is that poverty is a choice, but not by the people who experience it so much as it is by national policymakers.”
We obviously can't afford to extend all of the pandemic support indefinitely, but now we have some very good data on what works best. And "what works best" seems to be the libertarian ideal of just giving people money and letting them work it out for themselves. Washington (both parties) needs to define the optimum level of poverty and dole out just enough money to maintain it.

We should get a good look at the Dem reconciliation bill very soon. Let's reserve judgment until we see it.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:39 pm Tampa Bay Times
The state of Florida has received more than $870 million from the federal government to make landlords whole and keep renters in their homes during the pandemic, and expects to receive a grand total of more than $1.56 billion as more money is distributed.

It’s given out around 2 percent of what it’s gotten so far.
Florida used its money to establish a statewide rental assistance program called OUR Florida. As of July 13, the state had distributed just $3.9 million, according to a news release sent out by the Florida Department of Children and Families, which is overseeing the program. At that time, the department said it expected to bring the total to $27.9 million by the end of this month. However, in a Friday email, the department said it had distributed only $18.3 million to about 4,300 applicants, and encouraged more people to apply at OurFlorida.com.
McManus said OUR Florida has received more than 30,000 applications, and most that haven’t been approved “are awaiting action by the tenant to provide additional information or documentation.” She said the program has made 80,000 calls in an effort to collect the required documents and “complete applications that match registered landlords can be processed and verified in as little as 18 days.”
But Florida is not alone in its slow distribution. Nationally, only about 6.5 percent of the approximately $46.5 billion set aside for the program, or 12 percent of its initial stage of funding, had been distributed by the end of June, according to a recent report by the U.S. Treasury Department.
How long before the state governments or Congresscritters start making noise about retasking those funds.
Yep, this is my understanding. There's plenty of money budgeted by the Feds, it's the states that have badly fumbled this. Someone in the Federal govt should have been riding herd on this to make sure the money got to where it was needed. There's only an "eviction crisis" because there has been a state "distribution crisis".
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:02 amYep, this is my understanding. There's plenty of money budgeted by the Feds, it's the states that have badly fumbled this. Someone in the Federal govt should have been riding herd on this to make sure the money got to where it was needed. There's only an "eviction crisis" because there has been a state "distribution crisis".
It is a distribution problem (for now) but when most states have had major issues and a good portion of the money is sitting idle one strong possibility is that the program was designed poorly. It certainly didn't factor in the collective states' ability to administer this completely new program. The Feds basically tossed them the biggest bag of money for direct assistance ever and told them to figure it out quickly because the clock was ticking.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:06 am
Grifman wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:02 amYep, this is my understanding. There's plenty of money budgeted by the Feds, it's the states that have badly fumbled this. Someone in the Federal govt should have been riding herd on this to make sure the money got to where it was needed. There's only an "eviction crisis" because there has been a state "distribution crisis".
It is a distribution problem (for now) but when most states have had major issues and a good portion of the money is sitting idle one strong possibility is that the program was designed poorly. It certainly didn't factor in the collective states' ability to administer this completely new program. The Feds basically tossed them the biggest bag of money for direct assistance ever and told them to figure it out quickly because the clock was ticking.
Oh, yeah, I definitely included "design" in my thoughts about it being a "distribution problem".
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Vox has a different take:
Nevertheless, Kavanaugh was quite clear that the Biden administration could not extend it into August. “In my view,” Kavanaugh wrote, “clear and specific congressional authorization (via new legislation) would be necessary for the CDC to extend the moratorium past July 31.”

So that’s four votes to cut off the moratorium right away, plus a fifth vote to cut it off after July 31. Five votes is a majority on the Supreme Court, so, if the Biden administration had attempted to extend the moratorium without seeking new legislation from Congress, it would have lost in court.

All of which is a long way of saying that Congress bears some blame for the expiration of the moratorium. If a majority of lawmakers in the House and a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate had agreed the moratorium needed to be extended, it could have passed legislation doing so, and Kavanaugh’s opinion suggests that he would have upheld that legislation.

But the lion’s share of the blame belongs to the Supreme Court. The reason why the Biden administration cannot extend the moratorium by invoking the CDC’s statutory authority is that the Court was quite clear that it would not permit such an extension.
stessier

Post by stessier »

But the lion’s share of the blame belongs to the Supreme Court. The reason why the Biden administration cannot extend the moratorium by invoking the CDC’s statutory authority is that the Court was quite clear that it would not permit such an extension.

That's a silly way to phrase things. The judge isn't to blame for the burglar ending up in jail.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think it's building into the belief that the GOP has been playing the long game this whole time. If they've handcuffed the Administration by way of an arguably partisan ruling, then the only way it's going to be resolved is in Congress - which has been log jammed in the Senate because of the filibuster and people like Manchin and Sinema.
malchior

Post by malchior »

That is part of it. It's bigger picture. This system went well beyond its limits and is coming apart. The Presidency is trying to become an autocracy in the power struggle. The SCOTUS has been warped into a tool of the extremely wealthy/Conservative interests (same thing really). And Congress? Well Congress has always sucked but now it's even more dysfunctional than normal. This is a failure scenario you've only read about in history books and we're living it. That regular people are being trampled in it like this is hardly new unfortunately.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

The public is being trampled as the poverty rate fell in an amazing fashion.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
malchior

Post by malchior »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:24 pm The public is being trampled as the poverty rate fell in an amazing fashion.
Are you really going there? Millions of households face being tossed out on the streets. Evictions are financially and emotionally devastating for families.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lives will be lost in violent confrontations, mental health outcomes, and increased spread of disease.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Democrats are floating a $2000 a month until COVID is over thing. Im sure that will go well. Even though it is needed.

Its awful for landlords I understand that but for people who didn't have money to pay rent do you really want to lose a renter who cant pay a huge back rent or would you rather forget that back rent and start anew with them. That would be my choice. Maybe raise rent by a bit for a year then relower it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

There are billions in renter/landlord assistance funds that aren't getting distributed.

Michigan has $500M sitting there.

I get that stimmy cash drops are the easiest solution but I don't think they're the best one.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:45 pm There are billions in renter/landlord assistance funds that aren't getting distributed.

I get that stimmy cash drops are the easiest solution but I don't think they're the best one.
I know Talib keeps having town halls trying to get people informed on how to get assistance. I never participate because I don't need it, so there's little point in keeping informed. I don't know the hoops one needs to jump through as a renter or as rental property owner.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:45 pm There are billions in renter/landlord assistance funds that aren't getting distributed.

Also stimmy cash doesn't necessary fall into the landlords hands. In fact, that has been a point of resistance to the ERAP program. They know tenants got cash from the government but in many cases none of it flowed to them which eroded trust between landlords and tenants. Also, restrictions on the landlord about future evictions, length of lease, etc. are an issue.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:30 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:24 pm The public is being trampled as the poverty rate fell in an amazing fashion.
Are you really going there? Millions of households face being tossed out on the streets. Evictions are financially and emotionally devastating for families.
I'm sure they are, which is a good reason to enact the proper social programs to assist said families in both economic opportunity and during emergency hardship.

Congress apparently doesn't think we are still in an emergency situation and the data is on their side.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ship isn't sinking anymore, quit bailing!