Boba Fett's Ship Losing Slave I Moniker?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Boba Fett's Ship Losing Slave I Moniker?

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:35 pm I didn't pay any attention to this movie (or Lin Manuel Miranda in general, tbh...I'm the only person in the world who thought "Hamilton" was meh).
:text-banplz:

:lol:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

So does this mean it's "Forced Dancing Girl Leia" now?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Daveman wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:57 pm So does this mean it's "Forced Dancing Girl Leia" now?
Sudy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:31 pm They call that "Huttslayer" now. (Seriously.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:07 pm
YellowKing wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:01 pm kids playing with a toy that references slavery is at least worthy of an eyebrow raise
Even then, Fett was a bad guy. It wasn't a glorification. Before the 2000's Star Wars a white hat/black hat western in space.
Right. And since the prequels and Mandalorian have basically rewritten Fett as grey-to-possibly-good, his flying around in "Slave I" makes as much sense as Han and Chewie flying the "Millenium Porgstomper."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hamilton was fine, I just wasn't blown away with it like everyone else seemed to me. Mainly because it's so far out of my typical musical spectrum that it was tough for me to connect with on any level. I could certainly recognize the immense talent on display, I just didn't particularly enjoy it (and I actually generally like musicals).

I also recognize that I'm in the extreme minority on that opinion.
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:53 pm
:lol: That actually made it worse. Ssounds like Limp Bizkit covering Hamilton.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Holman wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:06 pm ...since the prequels and Mandalorian have basically rewritten Fett as grey-to-possibly-good, his flying around in "Slave I" makes as much sense as Han and Chewie flying the "Millenium Porgstomper."
Noted, but I think it depends on the intent of the name. And there doesn't even need to be an intention. You can name you ship/boat/car/toaster something negative without espousing that thing. Is it named Slave 1 because Boba (or Jango) Fett likes slaves? Because he captures and creates them? Because his dad was one? Because he views his ship as his slave? For a completely unrelated reason?
Last edited by Sudy on Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sudy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:58 pm
Daveman wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:57 pm So does this mean it's "Forced Dancing Girl Leia" now?
Sudy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:31 pm They call that "Huttslayer" now. (Seriously.)
I mean she was literally a slave. The writing may be in poor taste but not sure how you call her anything else.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:48 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:35 pm I didn't pay any attention to this movie (or Lin Manuel Miranda in general, tbh...I'm the only person in the world who thought "Hamilton" was meh).
:text-banplz:

:lol:
I've still haven't seen or heard Hamilton. *shrug*. I did see Lin Manuel in House as it aired every week in like 2008, 2009, 10? I dunno. That's all I really know him from.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:11 pm Hamilton was fine, I just wasn't blown away with it like everyone else seemed to me. Mainly because it's so far out of my typical musical spectrum that it was tough for me to connect with on any level. I could certainly recognize the immense talent on display, I just didn't particularly enjoy it (and I actually generally like musicals).

Maybe it was because Hamilton was so hyped that it couldn't possibly live up to billing or maybe because I only saw the Disney+ version, but I certainly wasn't blown away by it. It was good and the staging was tremendous, but it was just "good" to "really good" to me. I think I actually liked In the Heights better.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Sudy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:17 pm This isn't about representation though. I think this is more like recent discussions of how the word holocaust should be used. Those of us who haven't directly felt the effects of events and systems like these can't know how our casual uses of these terms affect those who have. Similarly, do direct allusions in creative works that have nothing to say about the events themselves water down the meanings and effects of these words. This is a worthy discussion.

Retconning the name of a fictional spaceship because you want to sell more merchandise is something else.

As for the Miranda thing, I'm not quite informed enough to have an opinion, but it wasn't quite as black as white as that (no pun intended). The under-representation of darker skin tones and veneration of lighter (i.e. whiter) ones is an ongoing issue, even if it's not always intentional.

I'm of the opinion that I don't get to criticize someone's action/reaction too harshly unless I'm a member of the class that's potentially been wronged. But when someone speaks out against fat white bearded men with glasses, I'll be there with my pitchfork. 8-)
Well, Santa *does* seem to have an enslaved underage workforce....
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

malchior wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:53 am I'm in agreement with most that this doesn't mean much *alone*. In aggregate, it is part of a trend of appeasing the 'hypersensitive' that tickles the 'trouble over the horizon' sensor in me.
it is Disney (a massive multinational lowest-common-denominator entertainment industry), after all. their track record on this is quite reliable.
noxiousdog wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:24 am If this was an adult-centric franchise I would be bothered, but what we're really talking about is toys.
most valid point here
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Considering that toys are bought by parents (of the generation that originally lived the franchise), I’d actually not be so quick as to dismiss this as a non-adult franchise.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

George Lucas edited StarWars while it was in theaters, and afterwards. Star Wars is not your divine revelation which can never be changed.

I have altered your Slave-1. Pray I do not alter it further.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you're not a bit of a dick for doing it.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:31 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:11 pm Hamilton was fine, I just wasn't blown away with it like everyone else seemed to me. Mainly because it's so far out of my typical musical spectrum that it was tough for me to connect with on any level. I could certainly recognize the immense talent on display, I just didn't particularly enjoy it (and I actually generally like musicals).

Maybe it was because Hamilton was so hyped that it couldn't possibly live up to billing or maybe because I only saw the Disney+ version, but I certainly wasn't blown away by it. It was good and the staging was tremendous, but it was just "good" to "really good" to me. I think I actually liked In the Heights better.
I've only watched Hamilton on Disney+, but for what it's worth I loved the first half but didn't care for the second half much at all.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:01 pm George Lucas edited StarWars while it was in theaters, and afterwards. Star Wars is not your divine revelation which can never be changed.
maybe this is something else Lucas took from Joseph Campbell... the process of altering (enhancing? degrading?) of a myth-in-the-making in real human time. a millennia from now, historians of the Jedi religion may or may not be able to find evidence for each of the multitudes of changes, large and small, that occurred through the ages to the origin. i guess if it makes a fan feel better, it's adapting to the times to ensure its survival... we just happened to be around for the origin, that's all.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:01 pm George Lucas edited StarWars while it was in theaters, and afterwards. Star Wars is not your divine revelation which can never be changed.

I have altered your Slave-1. Pray I do not alter it further.
Maybe true. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Though in truth, I'm over it. I waited so long for Star Wars to be re-released that by the time we got to Han shot first, I didn't really care. Phantom Menace pretty much took my romanticism of the movies of my youth and an moved me to 'meh', the Crystal Skull begged me to bury that romanticism and never let anyone else near it and the cynicism became deep in this one.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:47 pm Considering that toys are bought by parents (of the generation that originally lived the franchise), I’d actually not be so quick as to dismiss this as a non-adult franchise.
Grandpa: "Hey grandson. I know you wanted an x-wing for Christmas, but I still can't get over them renaming Slave-1"
Grandson: "The what?"
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I think that generation is buying the toys for themselves.

Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Sudy wrote:I think that generation is buying the toys for themselves.
Which frees up grandpa to gift "Clerks" to teach the real atrocoties outlined in Starwars.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:27 am
Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:47 pm Considering that toys are bought by parents (of the generation that originally lived the franchise), I’d actually not be so quick as to dismiss this as a non-adult franchise.
Grandpa: "Hey grandson. I know you wanted an x-wing for Christmas, but I still can't get over them renaming Slave-1"
Grandson: "The what?"
My experience would have generated a different hypothetical exchange.

Grandpa: “Hey, I know you didn’t want it, but I got you an x-wing!”
Grandson: “I never wanted the x-wing, grandpa “
Grandpa: “That’s ok, let’s check out how the wings open and close.”

Btw , I’m not making a point about Slave 1 here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They didn't change the name. It's still Slave 1. They just stopped using the name. Stopped mentioning it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:14 am They didn't change the name. It's still Slave 1. They just stopped using the name. Stopped mentioning it.
This, I think. It isn't that the ship is no longer "Slave 1," it's that the Lego set is now "Boba Fett's Starship."
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:32 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:14 am They didn't change the name. It's still Slave 1. They just stopped using the name. Stopped mentioning it.
This, I think. It isn't that the ship is no longer "Slave 1," it's that the Lego set is now "Boba Fett's Starship."
The BFS.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

They should call it Lake Shore Drive
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:26 pm They should call it Lake Shore Drive
:naughty:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So, are they trying to wash history and pretend slavery wasn't a thing long, long ago?
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:37 pm So, are they trying to wash history and pretend slavery wasn't a thing long, long ago?
They're probably just trying to erase the implication that a beloved and cool character was a slaver.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Boba Fett, bounty hunter professional reunion planner.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I'm perfectly fine with not selling children's toys named slave
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:37 pm So, are they trying to wash history and pretend slavery wasn't a thing long, long ago?
Long, long ago? Slavery is very much still a thing here and now:
antislavery.org wrote:What is modern slavery?
We believe everyone, everywhere has the right to a life free from slavery. But right now, millions of children and adults are trapped in slavery in every single country in the world. Including yours.

Modern slavery is the severe exploitation of other people for personal or commercial gain. Modern slavery is all around us, but often just out of sight. People can become entrapped making our clothes, serving our food, picking our crops, working in factories, or working in houses as cooks, cleaners or nannies.

From the outside, it can look like a normal job. But people are being controlled – they can face violence or threats, be forced into inescapable debt, or have had their passport taken away and are being threatened with deportation. Many have fallen into this oppressive trap simply because they were trying to escape poverty or insecurity, improve their lives and support their families. Now, they can’t leave.

40 million people are estimated to be trapped in modern slavery worldwide:
  • 1 in 4 of them are children.
  • Almost three quarters (71%) are women and girls.
  • Over 10,000 were identified as potential victims by the authorities in the UK in 2019.
Forms of modern slavery
Modern slavery takes many forms. The most common are:
  • Human trafficking. The use of violence, threats or coercion to transport, recruit or harbour people in order to exploit them for purposes such as forced prostitution, labour, criminality, marriage or organ removal.
  • Forced labour. Any work or services people are forced to do against their will under threat of punishment.
  • Debt bondage/bonded labour. The world’s most widespread form of slavery. People trapped in poverty borrow money and are forced to work to pay off the debt, losing control over both their employment conditions and the debt.
  • Descent–based slavery. Most traditional form, where people are treated as property, and their “slave” status was passed down the maternal line.
  • Slavery of children. When a child is exploited for someone else’s gain. This can include child trafficking, child soldiers, child marriage and child domestic slavery.
  • Forced and early marriage. When someone is married against their will and cannot leave. Most child marriages can be considered slavery.
People end up trapped in modern slavery because they are vulnerable to being tricked, trapped and exploited, often as a result of poverty and exclusion. It is these external circumstances that push people into taking risky decisions in search of opportunities to provide for their families, or are simply pushed into jobs in exploitative conditions.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holman wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:13 pm
They're probably just trying to erase the implication that a beloved and cool character was a slaver.
Given that he was designed as a throwaway minor villain - they had no idea he'd become amazingly popular when they designed him.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:08 pm
I see the reference went over your head. Star Wars takes place in a galaxy long, long ago.
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:47 pm
I see the reference went over your head. Star Wars takes place in a galaxy long, long ago.
:doh:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Combustible Lemur

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
But also apropos that disney would be hesitant for one of their favorite characters to be a blatant and proud human trafficker.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Actually, only long ago. The galaxy though; was far, far away.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:39 am
Anonymous Bosch wrote:
But also apropos that disney would be hesitant for one of their favorite characters to be a blatant and proud human trafficker.

Wasn’t he always a bounty hunter? Is that synonymous with human trafficking?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, and there's a whole lot of carbonite going on in the current show. (I really hate they've made it seem like freezing in carbonite was something bounty hunters/Mandalorians "always did", and that it wasn't something thought up just for Han.)

Still, I never thought of the original character or bounty hunters in general as slavers. Some of them might be, but that seems to be a step further. Within the canon of the universe I mean, and the general cinematic bounty hunter archetype. They often turn over people to very bad people, but they don't inflict the badness themselves. Until their morality is woken up by that "one special bounty" etc. who's usually either a child or a love interest. (But not good 'ol Boba. At least I sure hope not.)

Combustible Lemur

Unagi wrote:
Combustible Lemur wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:39 am
Anonymous Bosch wrote:

Wasn’t he always a bounty hunter? Is that synonymous with human trafficking?
Yes, No. He did name his ship slave one while he delivers people to Jabba and Vader. It wasnt unpaid intern 1.