Boba Fett's Ship Losing Slave I Moniker?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Sudy

Boba Fett's Ship Losing Slave I Moniker?

Post by Sudy »

Gizmodo link
But the name change for Slave 1—which last received a Lego set under that name as part of the company’s celebration of 20 years of Star Wars Lego playsets in 2019—is purportedly for a different reason altogether: a mandate from Disney to move away from the ship name in future branding. “We’re not calling it Slave I any more. This is Boba Fett’s Starship,” Stockwell told journalists after the reveal, with Frederiksen adding that the policy stretched beyond Lego itself. “Everybody is [changing the name]. It’s probably not something which has been announced publicly but it is just something that Disney doesn’t want to use any more.”

Wiping out casual references to slavery may not be a bad thing. (E.g. in computing. There I thought it was pretty benign as a concept, but it's also unnecessary. I've come to appreciate that a deeper look at word/phrase origins can be illuminating.) It's less about "causing offense" than painful and unnecessary reminders of real-world history. But this also comes across as cynical corporate revisionism. As stated in the article, slavery exists in the Star Wars universe, as recently as the current The Bad Batch series. Obviously, the name of the Fett ship isn't meant to reference real-world slavery. Apparently, there's an old canon explanation that the ship was named as such relating to Jango's time as a slave. Prequel-era expanded universe lore doesn't interest me much however; the name existed before that.

Personal outrage level: 38%. Do good things for good reasons. The needs of the marginalized outweigh the needs of unwoke fanboys. But fuck cynical corporations and their deceptive actions.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Re: Boba Fett's Ship Losing Slave I Moniker?

Post by hepcat »

It's a fictional setting so I don't really care that much what they do. But it does seem silly. He's a bad guy with a history of selling people as slaves, right? It seems appropriate he would have a ship name that reflects the fact that he...well...often sells prisoners into slavery.

But as I said, it's a freakin' movie franchise. They could rename his ship Mellow Vibes 1 and I'd probably barely be able to muster a shrug in response.
He won. Period.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Move along, nothing to see here.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I look forward to the rational and measured response from Star Wars fans if/when this change is officially announced.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:33 am But as I said, it's a freakin' movie franchise. They could rename his ship Mellow Vibes 1 and I'd probably barely be able to muster a shrug in response.
Oh for sure. No reasonable individual is going to take egregious offense to this. I even mused it seemed silly to post in this forum, but knew it could boil over into something unsuitable for Random Randomness or some Star Wars thread.

Boba Fett is a classic character though. While his role was small and there was little to his character before the prequel era, people adored him because he was mysterious.

I mean, wouldn't you be offended if Star Trek recast Spock and made a literal travesty of Wrath of Khan by remaking it with child actors and reversing the role of Kirk and Spock for kicks, before immediately resurrecting the dead hero thereby negating the dramatic value of his sacrifice rather than letting it simmer for two years before a sequel that wasn't even supposed to happen?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sudy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:06 am I mean, wouldn't you be offended if Star Trek recast Spock and made a literal travesty of Wrath of Khan by remaking it with child actors and reversing the role of Kirk and Spock for kicks, before immediately resurrecting the dead hero thereby negating the dramatic value of his sacrifice rather than letting it simmer for two years before a sequel that wasn't even supposed to happen?
To be fair, that's a much larger change than just renaming a ship though, isn't it?

I would have used "Wouldn't you have been offended if they'd announced they were recasting Kirk in the next Star Trek film and going with Mark Wahlberg?".

THEN I would have gone off.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Has the name of Boba Fett's ship ever been a plot point or a major story element in any of the 9 movies or official spin offs (like the cartoons)?

It feels like this change impacts nothing, other than the value of the toys from the 1980s that my mom gave to my cousin and he totally destroyed.

Thanks mom.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

In 1992 all I wanted was the The Grape Escape board game for Christmas. I got it, but my rowdy cousins came over the following summer and destroyed it. :cry:

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

If this was an adult-centric franchise I would be bothered, but what we're really talking about is toys.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Sudy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:23 am (E.g. in computing. There I thought it was pretty benign as a concept, but it's also unnecessary. I've come to appreciate that a deeper look at word/phrase origins can be illuminating.)
Replace it, but don't replace it with [counts] 15 different alternatives. :doh:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:13 am
Sudy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:06 am I mean, wouldn't you be offended if Star Trek recast Spock and made a literal travesty of Wrath of Khan by remaking it with child actors and reversing the role of Kirk and Spock for kicks, before immediately resurrecting the dead hero thereby negating the dramatic value of his sacrifice rather than letting it simmer for two years before a sequel that wasn't even supposed to happen?
To be fair, that's a much larger change than just renaming a ship though, isn't it?

I would have used "Wouldn't you have been offended if they'd announced they were recasting Kirk in the next Star Trek film and going with Mark Wahlberg?".

In case you missed it Sudy is making fun of Star Trek Into Darkness here.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm in agreement with most that this doesn't mean much *alone*. In aggregate, it is part of a trend of appeasing the 'hypersensitive' that tickles the 'trouble over the horizon' sensor in me.
Last edited by malchior on Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Sudy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:24 am In 1992 all I wanted was the The Grape Escape board game for Christmas. I got it, but my rowdy cousins came over the following summer and destroyed it. :cry:
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Thank you, now I have PTSD.

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

And they claim video games teach kids violent behavior, holy cow.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:53 am

I know. But as I pointed out, that's a much larger change than renaming a ship that is on screen for about 2 minutes total throughout dozens of movies and TV shows.

Was i annoyed? Slightly. But overall the Abram's Star Trek films could have been far worse.

Just close your eyes and imagine Mark Wahlberg delivering the line "Warp speed Mr. Sulu."

We pahked the Enterprise in Harvard yahd.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

With Jason Statham as Spock.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:18 am Has the name of Boba Fett's ship ever been a plot point or a major story element in any of the 9 movies or official spin offs (like the cartoons)?
I don't think the name is mentioned in any of the core movies.

I've heard (can't verify it) that the first mention of the name was when Kenner made a toy of it. Presumably George Lucas approved that, but it's not in the scripts.

(Maybe it's in the Boba Fett cartoon that appears in the Holiday Special? Anyone want to take one for the team and check that?)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I watch it every Life Day, so I'll check then.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm unsure of its first appearance and I wouldn't consider myself a "proper" fan, but it's definitely something I instinctively knew. The only places I think I can remember encountering the name is Shadows of the Empire (1996) on the N64 (a great and somewhat frustrating boss battle with the ship), and I think I read the The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy as a teen in the late 90s.

While I'm not "outraged", the change does bother me. It's not on the level of "Han Shot First", but it annoys me that something beloved that I presumed to have no ill effect is being changed for a reason that's likely mostly about image and greed. (But "presumed" is the key word here.) It's hard to find a good comparison. Perhaps the debatably racist origins of the term marijuana. Perhaps this is a little like changing the use of that word in a famous genre film to "cannabis". Doesn't actually hurt anyone. Arguably a positive thing, but arguably also an unnecessary overreaction serving corporate motives.

It's not like changing the name of the Enterprise. But maybe it's a little like changing the name of the Reliant (Wrath of Khan).

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:44 am With Jason Statham as Spock.

Susan Boyle as Scotty
John Leguizamo as Bones
Christopher Walken as Khan
Missy Elliot as Ohura
The entire Japanese boy band SMAP as Sulu
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Sounds better than J.J. Abrams's version to be honest.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh for crying out loud, let it go. They're NEVER going to take your suggestion that the franchise be renamed "Sudy Trek" and that all the characters be given names that rhyme with "ostrich". Your fan fiction is just that...fan fiction.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sudy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:51 pm
It's not like changing the name of the Enterprise. But maybe it's a little like changing the name of the Reliant (Wrath of Khan).
Yeah, this is fairly deep canon. It's not like they're changing the name.of the Millennial Falcon.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:43 pm Oh for crying out loud, let it go. They're NEVER going to take your suggestion that the franchise be renamed "Sudy Trek" and that all the characters be given names that rhyme with "ostrich". Your fan fiction is just that...fan fiction.
Look, if The Orville can succeed....

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:09 pm Yeah, this is fairly deep canon. It's not like they're changing the name.of the Millennial Falcon.
Just its greatest adversary. :wink:

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Do we get a radio edit of Fette's Vette?
I'm a question wrapped inside an enigma
Get inside the Slave One, find your homing signal
From Endor to Hoth, Ripley to Spock
I'll find what you want, but there's gonna be a cost

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:31 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:53 am

I know. But as I pointed out, that's a much larger change than renaming a ship that is on screen for about 2 minutes total throughout dozens of movies and TV shows.

Was i annoyed? Slightly. But overall the Abram's Star Trek films could have been far worse.

Just close your eyes and imagine Mark Wahlberg delivering the line "Warp speed Mr. Sulu."

We pahked the Enterprise in Harvard yahd.
Eh, Mr. Sulu…bang a u-ee past Epsilon 5 and make sure to stop at the Dunkin on the way!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:51 pm I'm unsure of its first appearance and I wouldn't consider myself a "proper" fan, but it's definitely something I instinctively knew. The only places I think I can remember encountering the name is Shadows of the Empire (1996) on the N64 (a great and somewhat frustrating boss battle with the ship), and I think I read the The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy as a teen in the late 90s.
Topps trading cards. That's where I learned a lot of stuff.

(Though I don't think this is actually a Topps card)

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Are those things in street still called manholes?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Gigalos?

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

There's certainly a need to remove offensive stereotypes and not perpetuate those when we identify them. But I'm not a big fan of retconning everything to avoid even the slightest misinterpretation. It's too 1984 for me, from the other direction. In this instance, I'm not OUTRAGED, because I get it - kids playing with a toy that references slavery is at least worthy of an eyebrow raise. It's just unfortunate we live in a world now where everything has to be sterilized to the most bland version possible to avoid even the perception of offense.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:01 pm kids playing with a toy that references slavery is at least worthy of an eyebrow raise
Even then, Fett was a bad guy. It wasn't a glorification. Before the 2000's Star Wars a white hat/black hat western in space.
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:01 pm There's certainly a need to remove offensive stereotypes and not perpetuate those when we identify them. But I'm not a big fan of retconning everything to avoid even the slightest misinterpretation. It's too 1984 for me, from the other direction. In this instance, I'm not OUTRAGED, because I get it - kids playing with a toy that references slavery is at least worthy of an eyebrow raise. It's just unfortunate we live in a world now where everything has to be sterilized to the most bland version possible to avoid even the perception of offense.
It's part of something even worse IMO. The reason to bland everything is because people get on their social media soapbox and scream about how they aren't being represented. It's micro-identity politics. When Lin-Manuel is apologizing for not enough Afro-Latino representation...I mean COME ON. This has gotten silly. To be crystal clear this isn't on that level but it's a defense to behaviors on that spectrum of people wanting to be outraged or exploit outrage for their purposes.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

This isn't about representation though. I think this is more like recent discussions of how the word holocaust should be used. Those of us who haven't directly felt the effects of events and systems like these can't know how our casual uses of these terms affect those who have. Similarly, do direct allusions in creative works that have nothing to say about the events themselves water down the meanings and effects of these words. This is a worthy discussion.

Retconning the name of a fictional spaceship because you want to sell more merchandise is something else.

As for the Miranda thing, I'm not quite informed enough to have an opinion, but it wasn't quite as black as white as that (no pun intended). The under-representation of darker skin tones and veneration of lighter (i.e. whiter) ones is an ongoing issue, even if it's not always intentional.

I'm of the opinion that I don't get to criticize someone's action/reaction too harshly unless I'm a member of the class that's potentially been wronged. But when someone speaks out against fat white bearded men with glasses, I'll be there with my pitchfork. 8-)

Jag

Post by Jag »

I had no idea that was the ship name until I played the Battlefront game that had it as a flyable ship. At that point I definitely gave the name a side-eye. Wasn't a huge fan of it, so I honestly have no problem with a name change.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:13 pm Do we get a radio edit of Fette's Vette
I was going to post a link to my favorite SW song - Slow Dance With Boba Fett, but the only video on Youtube has a still photo of Slave Leia and it feels like that would be taking a cheap shot this new development.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

They call that "Huttslayer" now. (Seriously.)

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:08 pm When Lin-Manuel is apologizing for not enough Afro-Latino representation...I mean COME ON. This has gotten silly.
I didn't pay any attention to this movie (or Lin Manuel Miranda in general, tbh...I'm the only person in the world who thought "Hamilton" was meh). One of my good friends who is Dominican and raised in NYC posted this on social media after seeing it. It's a perspective that I - as the whitest of white dudes from Utah - would never have possibly even considered.
My thoughts on "In the Heights":

- First and foremost, I’m taking a page from Issa Rae on this and rooting for everyone Black and brown.
- This film brought me so much joy. I felt seen as someone born in the heights, as a Dominican and as an Afro-Latina.
- I am so grateful to Lin-Manuel Miranda and everyone who contributed to getting this movie made and these stories out in the world.
- I hope each and everyone in my network watches the movie!

My sentiments about the film do not negate the fact that many people did not feel seen by the film. They wanted more merengue and bachata, less salsa. They wanted not just Afro-latinx characters but dark-skinned Afro-latinx characters. They wanted less Cuba and Puerto Rico and more Dominican Republic.

Colorism is an important Hollywood issue and one I don't want to gloss over. The Black diaspora is vast and we deserve appropriate representation in media for so many reasons - because a lack of representation highlights systemic inequity and that we are not seen as fully human and deserving of representation, because our contributions to culture are innumerable and many of those contributions have been miss-attributed to whiteness or only recognized as positive once they’ve been appropriated by whiteness.

And everything that comes out is an opportunity to address colorism and do better. But also, I would venture to say this film employed more Afro-latinx identifying people than the last 50 films released on HBO. So I worry that we’re attacking a film that got closer and that’s what the studios will hear instead of how we need more films like this.

Sometimes our need for perfection stops us from celebrating the strides forward. And because we don’t get enough movies like this, we struggle when what we get isn’t perfect. But a film can’t be all things to all people and it certainly can’t capture the full Latinx experience or diaspora….if can’t even capture the full Dominican experience. This shouldn’t be the last musical about Latinos. It shouldn’t be the last film that takes place in the Heights. And there should be films that take place in Spanish Harlem and Fordham Road and Grand Concourse and the South Bronx and the Lower East Side and all the other neighborhoods in New York and across the country where we have left an indelible mark.

I’m hoping folks won’t let the opportunities for the film to do better overshadow the incredible accomplishment that the film is in its current state. Nothing and no one is perfect. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t have merit.
Thought it was interesting.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sudy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:58 pmGigalos?

:clap:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:35 pmThought it was interesting.
That's good stuff. That is pretty much my take away. Perfect as the enemy of the already EXCELLENT. It is a clear indicator that representation is important to people but forming mobs to tear down people who are making it happen is just self-destructive.