And they say bipartisanship is dead...

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: And they say bipartisanship is dead...

Post by malchior »

Deal struck. Budget amount approved. Now the process can move forward. Publicly the hostage takers got a promise for a vote. Their demand was an infrastructure vote first. I'm assuming there was a carrot in the offing last night but they collapsed quickly which makes me wonder if someobe brought out the stick.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I figured Pelosi would work it out. She's the right person in the right place at the right time for this.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:35 pm I figured Pelosi would work it out. She's the right person in the right place at the right time for this.
This is a step forward for sure, though this isn't over yet. The Democrats still need to hammer out the terms of the ultimate deal in a way that satisfies all their factions, and they don't have all that much time to do it in.

I do agree that this (managing her caucus and getting them to fall into line at the end) is one of the things that Pelosi usually does very well. Though this depends not just on the Democratic caucus but also on Manchin and Sinema and the like.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sure, there are more hurdles to clear and more drama (and compromises) to come. I do think Pelosi can guide it over the finish line.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:09 am Sure, there are more hurdles to clear and more drama (and compromises) to come. I do think Pelosi can guide it over the finish line.
Yeah at this point I'm more worried about Sinema and Manchin. Plus the thin margin and multiple failure points.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:26 am
Kraken wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:09 am Sure, there are more hurdles to clear and more drama (and compromises) to come. I do think Pelosi can guide it over the finish line.
Yeah at this point I'm more worried about Sinema and Manchin. Plus the thin margin and multiple failure points.
Their job is to squash corporate taxes. So they'll try to strangle the overall size. It is no surprise that is what they talk about constantly. I showed math in the Gilded Age thread about why the current size is a good target but there is room there for them to get some whacks in to satisfy their attempts to be 'serious'. We'll see.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:38 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:26 am
Their job is to squash corporate taxes. So they'll try to strangle the overall size. It is no surprise that is what they talk about constantly. I showed math in the Gilded Age thread about why the current size is a good target but there is room there for them to get some whacks in to satisfy their attempts to be 'serious'. We'll see.
Yeah, I don't think there's any way around the moderates whacking away at the size and upper income taxes on this - it's just a matter of how much.
Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The most recent Wake Up Politics newsletter noted that the Senate passed the Kigwali Amendment and also noted that...
major bipartisan votes have actually not been that rare as of late: as I’ve chronicled in this newsletter, in its current two-year session, Congress has passed bipartisan infrastructure, gun control, manufacturing, and veterans health care laws.

Plus, they’ve also rescued the Postal Service from insolvency, reauthorized the Violence Against Women Act, named Juneteenth a national holiday, ended forced arbitration for sexual misconduct cases, made lynching a federal crime, sent aid to Ukraine, and allowed Finland and Sweden to NATO — all on a bipartisan basis.
With regard to the Kigwali Amendment:
The Senate voted to ratify a global climate treaty that will phase down the use and production of hydrofluorocarbons, or HFCs, chemicals widely used in air conditioning and refrigeration.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I take their point, and people sometimes overstate *exactly* how broken Congress is as an institution. At the same time, though, I feel like you do need to value-weight the votes. Like it's great that Juneteenth was bipartisan, but that's....one additional federal holiday. So you weigh that against an almost complete inability to legislate on healthcare or taxes on a bipartisan basis, and...
Black Lives Matter.