Biden blunders

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

Re: Biden blunders

Post by Kraken »

Majority believes Biden is out of it, says Rasmussen. Washington Examiner is not exactly trustworthy, and the original story is paywalled so IDK anything about the poll itself.
Preelection concerns that President Joe Biden wasn’t physically or mentally up for his new job at age 78, the oldest-ever chief executive, are now settling in as the public sees him slow-walking, refusing to consider questions at press conferences, and seemingly befuddled with the crisis in Afghanistan.

Not only has his average approval rating fallen below 50%, the lowest of his presidency, but a new survey has found that in addition to likely voters believing that Biden is not all there, they believe that aides are doing his job.

In the survey, Rasmussen Reports said 52% of respondents said they are not confident that Biden is physically or mentally “up to the job of being president of the United States.” And 41% of respondents said they are “not confident at all.”
a slight majority, 51%, said others are doing his work, while 39% said Biden is in charge, down from 47% in March.

His Afghanistan performance isn't helping his image, and the covid surge is unraveling his only major achievement. He (or whoever's running the govt :wink: ) can still turn this around by getting his infrastructure and economic agenda through Congress, but he (or whoever) also has to pass voting reform in order to stay in office. If those things fizzle, he's a goner.
Zarathud

Biden blunders

Post by Zarathud »

A 7% increase on the max rate for C Corporations (businesses are people) is fair and expected. Anyone telling you it hurts small businesses is selling a load of bullshit.

Small businesses that continue operating aren’t sold, so the loss of step up in basis at death isn’t necessary except to “save” the family members cashing out of the business. It’s a bad change for another reason — the family should be paying an estate tax at 40% instead of an income tax.

But the estate tax exemption was increased to $11.7 million ($23.4 million for a married couple) which was so high that even Trump Republicans would allow phasing it out by 50% after 2025. Because “small businesses” are $23 million before the election but only $11.2 million afterwards. :roll: We don’t need to redo the system, we need to lower the exemptions to a realistic level. Not as low as $3 million but much lower than $11.7 million.

The Republican rhetoric on tax increases preys on misunderstandings of businesses and who it benefits. We have to pay for things and those who have income benefit the most from our economic system — so they should pay more.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Zarathud wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:32 pm Anyone telling you it hurts small businesses is selling a load of bullshit.
Biden replied: 'No. Taxes on small businesses won't go up.'

Exactly. Bullshit.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Why should C Corporations pay only 21% maximum tax rate which is less than the 37% maximum tax rate for individuals? And why are you crying the C Corporation tax rate is going up to 28%? That’s still 9% less than YOU would pay!

Their tax advantage is less than it would be without a tax preference. So not a lie.

It’s also not a lie because small businesses are typically S corporations, LLCs and partnerships. You start a C corporation so you can get access to the US capital markets or have a lot of investors or different groups of investors — ie, not a small business.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:13 am It’s also not a lie because small businesses are typically S corporations, LLCs and partnerships. You start a C corporation so you can get access to the US capital markets or have a lot of investors or different groups of investors — ie, not a small business.
This is my ignorant take.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:21 am
Zarathud wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:13 am It’s also not a lie because small businesses are typically S corporations, LLCs and partnerships. You start a C corporation so you can get access to the US capital markets or have a lot of investors or different groups of investors — ie, not a small business.
This is my ignorant take.
I took a class on that before I incorporated. C corps are meant for companies that expect to go public, buy/sell other companies, and generally play in the stock markets. While I'm sure there are "small" C corps, I doubt that there are mom-and-pop C corps.