Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:52 pmI'd say Gym Jordan is almost a certainty, as he is the top House attack dog. MTG or Gaetz would be unproductive distractions.
That's the point IMO - they want it to be a partisan clown show. The Trumpiest, frothiest morons are chomping at the bit. [/url=https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/2 ... ion-496315]Politico has a piece indicating the 'saner' Trumpists want to duck it[/url]. They don't want to be tied to any report that drops out of committee. I suspect Jordan is in the duck camp - he isn't even named in that article which was surprising.
The other Republicans will be reliable Freedom Caucus extremists who carry no baggage because we never hear from them.
This seems like a good guess to me. The Politico piece says they are kicking around Mo Brooks and Gosar. Mo Brooks likened Biden's election to the start of the Civil War and wants exposure since he is going after Shelby's Senate seat. Gosar directly appeared at a event where he was followed by a white supremacist -- *THIS YEAR*. Oy vey.
Politico wrote:In the days after the deadly Capitol attack on Jan. 6, tension among House Republicans was so high that one of them privately suggested some GOP colleagues be punished for their roles in encouraging the riot.

This GOP lawmaker drafted a list of about half a dozen fellow Republicans who had cheered on the pro-Donald Trump rally that turned violent that day, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the maneuver. The sources said Reps. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) and Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) were on the list but declined to identify its author — a sign that the scars from the insurrection remain deeply painful for members of both parties.

But the fact that the list even made the rounds, in hindsight, shows how sharply the political winds have turned for Republicans reckoning with Trump's legacy and future. Only 10 House Republicans voted to impeach the former president for his role in the Jan. 6 riot, and most have said little since on the matter. There is close to zero appetite within their party now to break with Trump.

And Trump is once again the GOP's undisputed kingmaker, holding rallies and flexing his grassroots fundraising might as he seeks to influence Republican primary campaigns. House Democrats are likely to take full advantage of that political reality as they move ahead with a select committee to examine the siege on Congress.

Which leaves Republicans with a big challenge: how to discredit and distance themselves from that investigation — which moderates and conservatives alike are criticizing as a partisan setup — and retake the House in 2022, a tantalizingly close possibility that would doom President Joe Biden's domestic agenda.

“Unfortunately, right now, it seems like we're incapable of having the serious or the real conversations about these things because everybody's trying to utilize it for electoral gain one way or the other,” Rep. Kelly Armstrong (R-N.D.), a member of the House Judiciary Committee, said in an interview.

Trump allies, including House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, are already preparing for the Jan. 6 committee to turn into a partisan cage match. McCarthy has yet to indicate whether he plans to name Republicans to the panel, saying Monday night that he wants to hear more details before deciding.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:45 am Gosar directly appeared at a event where he was followed by a white supremacist -- *THIS YEAR*. Oy vey.
Not just an appearance this year. He's actively setting up a fundraiser with noted white supremacist Nick Fuentes right now.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:29 am
malchior wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:45 am Gosar directly appeared at a event where he was followed by a white supremacist -- *THIS YEAR*. Oy vey.
Not just an appearance this year. He's actively setting up a fundraiser with noted white supremacist Nick Fuentes right now.
Yeah he keeps straddling the line. He knows what he is doing. He is a Grade A 'piece of shit'. I fully expect he'll be chosen to make sure the insurrectionists have a voice on the panel. :roll:
malchior

Post by malchior »

The bottom video is interesting as they discovered 8 breaches via reconstructed public video.

malchior

Post by malchior »

The Select Committee has been voted into existence. Only 2 Republicans voted for it. Kipzinger and Cheney. Appalling.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In case anyone was wondering...

Today all but two GOP members of Congress chose to side with the insurrectionists.
So far Kinzinger and Cheney are the lone two YES votes among Republicans on the House select committee vote
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:27 pm The bottom video is interesting as they discovered 8 breaches via reconstructed public video.
My take after watching is that there were generally two groups of people there

(1) Actual insurrectionists that were attempting a (violent?) coordinated overthrow of democracy
(2) Idiots that came to "protest" and were pulled into helping #1 when things escalated

It would seem that there were many more #2 folks but if there were more #1, 1/6 would have ended very differently.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Hard to believe the GOP isnt acting in good faith. My guess is it'll probably be Cheney then because I have a feeling she won't be intimidated by these seditionists.

Edit: It's Cheney

malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Capitol rioter accompanies GOP House members at border

WTF?
A conservative YouTuber who participated in the January 6 riot accompanied Republican members of Congress on a trip to the border Tuesday night, serving as a translator at times.

Anthony Aguero, a close ally of Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene can be seen in videos and photos with Republican members of Congress who traveled to a route along the border frequented by migrants on Tuesday night. CNN's KFile previously reported that Aguero went into the Capitol during the January 6 riot and cheered and justified the break-in.

During his livestream of the Tuesday visit, Aguero interviewed and chatted with Reps. Tom. Tiffany of Wisconsin, Lauren Boebert of Colorado, Madison Cawthorn of North Carolina, Chris Jacobs of New York, Michael Cloud of Texas, John Rose of Tennessee, Ronny Jackson of Texas, and Mary Miller of Illinois.

"Hi guys, Congressman Hawthorn is behind me," Aguero tells viewers during his livestream, mispronouncing Cawthorn's last name. "That is freaking awesome. That is freaking awesome. I'll tell you that."
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aguero has not been charged for unlawful entry at the US Capitol on January 6. After chanting "heave-ho" as rioters attempted to break in, he entered the Capitol Rotunda and later chanted "our house" on the Capitol steps. In a livestream one day after the Capitol riot, he attacked those who condemned the ransacking of the Capitol. The FBI previously declined to comment on whether it was investigating Aguero in an email to CNN.

It's not clear how Aguero joined the group Tuesday night, as he was not at the press briefing prior to the trip that was attended by reporters, according to a photo and a CNN reporter present. He was already in the area as the members of Congress arrived.

Buckley Carlson, the RSC's deputy communications director, said Aguero's presence at the border was "purely incidental."

"Chairman (Jim) Banks never spoke to the individual in question, the Republican Study Committee was unaware of his identity and whereabouts on January 6, and he did not travel with our group to the border," Carlson said in a statement to CNN.

Aguero, who told members of Congress he was there as an "independent journalist" with Border Network News, posted a lengthy livestream on his YouTube channel in which he is seen interviewing and sometimes translating conversations with migrants for Reps. Boebert, Tiffany, August Pfluger of Texas, and Randy Weber of Texas.

In one instance, Aguero drove Weber in his truck after the congressman missed his van.

"Come right in the front, Congressman," said Aguero, chuckling. "You can ride in the front with me." Aguero also posed for a photo with Boebert at the end of his broadcast.

The videographer, who sometimes goes by the moniker "Conservative Anthony" online, frequently documents migrants along the US-Mexico border and the activities of right-wing activists and militias, including the Guardian Patriots, the border militia group formerly known as the United Constitutional Patriots, and the Proud Boys.

In one disturbing clip filmed by Aguero in April 2019 that appears in the PBS documentary "Targeting El Paso," Aguero can be heard screaming at migrants crossing the border and seen shining a light on migrants' faces. In the clip, Aguero tells a group of migrants they "come out like roaches, out of everywhere." According to PBS, the clip was viewed 160,000 times before Aguero deleted it from Facebook.
CNN then buries a somewhat important detail in the *LAST PARAGRAPH*
He also has a history of criminal violence, according to online court records. In 2010, he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor family violence assault causing serious bodily injury. In 2015, he was convicted of felony vehicular assault while intoxicated and sentenced to two years in Texas state prison.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pretty good run down of the political math.

malchior

Post by malchior »

I know it's been said before but the likening of Ashli Babbitt to Horst Wessel continues to be spot on.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Totally normal stuff here.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Trump responds and says there'd be no way I'd pick this loser to help me run this coup. This is a beyond the pale, dangerous statement.

Edit: Ken's take

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Trump is mentally ill and needs help. There's all this dancing around the issue "Look at what he said!" and "OMG can you believe this?"

Yes, yes I can believe it. He's sick. He needs professional assistance. And that isn't a joke or an insult or an offhand remark. The guy genuinely needs medical treatment.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

What a sore loser.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:15 pm Trump is mentally ill and needs help. There's all this dancing around the issue "Look at what he said!" and "OMG can you believe this?"

Yes, yes I can believe it. He's sick. He needs professional assistance. And that isn't a joke or an insult or an offhand remark. The guy genuinely needs medical treatment.
Any doctor who treats him is facing the trolley dilemma.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

The first felony conviction for the capitol riot was scheduled today. The prosecutors asked for 18 months, the guidelines indicated 15 months prison, and the judge imposed...8 months, a $100 fine, and 24 months supervised release if the accounts are accurate. Well that'll teach them for trying to overthrow our government. :roll:

FWIW Fed isn't unsurprised by it but this isn't the strongest message for law and order I've ever seen. It is going to be misinterpreted.

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Wait, "Florida Man"?

Oh, Florida man.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:29 pm The first felony conviction for the capitol riot was scheduled today. The prosecutors asked for 18 months, the guidelines indicated 15 months prison, and the judge imposed...8 months, a $100 fine, and 24 months supervised release if the accounts are accurate. Well that'll teach them for trying to overthrow our government. :roll:

FWIW Fed isn't unsurprised by it but this isn't the strongest message for law and order I've ever seen. It is going to be misinterpreted.

I get the issue with how this is going to be perceived, but in terms of individual justice, if this guy was just one random schmuck in the riot, I think 8 months plus the other stuff is fine as a punishment. Eight months in prison is no joke.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not to mention the felony on the record, especially if it’s a violent one. His employability just tanked. All he’ll have left is politics.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I agree it is no joke but it isn't just about perception. We have a country in the midst of a series of major crises and risk of violence and we are going easy on people adjacent to the worst excesses of it. I do not think we are being very realistic about the risks here. There is a line between too light and too harsh and this too light IMO. It also amplifies the fact that the DOJ is completely whiffing on accountability for those responsible for instigating 1/6.

The perception and practice is that the ringleaders get off scot free, the middle managers might get hit a bit hard, and all these schlubs...we are going to slap them on the wrist compared to what they did. This guy - even if not tied to violence directly - tried to overthrow our government. It's corrosive and it will absolutely happen again and again in some shape or form.
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:00 pm Not to mention the felony on the record, especially if it’s a violent one. His employability just tanked. All he’ll have left is politics.
Fair enough though his employability was pretty suspect based on his photos. :)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:05 pm I agree it is no joke but it isn't just about perception. We have a country in the midst of a series of major crises and risk of violence and we are going easy on people adjacent to the worst excesses of it. I do not think we are being very realistic about the risks here. There is a line between too light and too harsh and this too light IMO. It also amplifies the fact that the DOJ is completely whiffing on accountability for those responsible for instigating 1/6.

The perception and practice is that the ringleaders get off scot free, the middle managers might get hit a bit hard, and all these schlubs...we are going to slap them on the wrist compared to what they did. This guy - even if not tied to violence directly - tried to overthrow our government. It's corrosive and it will absolutely happen again and again in some shape or form.
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:00 pm Not to mention the felony on the record, especially if it’s a violent one. His employability just tanked. All he’ll have left is politics.
Fair enough though his employability was pretty suspect based on his photos. :)
I don't disagree exactly, it's more that this isn't the key decision. What's most important is punishing ringleaders. Ideally Trump / Trump Jr. / Mo Brooks / Tucker Carlson types, although I recognize that those cases would be enormously difficult and unlikely to succeed. What I'm most interested are the Roger Stone types who would've been organizing the whole thing, leading people to the Capitol, getting them to go after representatives, etc.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I totally agree buy also think the chanced of it are nil. We aren't strong enough to do the right thing.

I posted in the Imperial thread but DOJ is weighing defending Brooks. The Op-ed in the Washington Post explains why Garland should decide not to do that. Which should be self evident but when I see IG reports about lying to Congress silently being shelved?!? I'm left at a point personally where I just don't have too much confidence in this system.

That is ultimately one of our major problems. Our trust in the system is perilously low. The Atlantic had a great piece about this in the fall. And it isn't hard to connect the dots. We all can see this system is just unfair in how it pursues justice. Especially how it protects the elite political class and holds them blameless for obvious crimes and its all coming apart now.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm shocked he picked Jim Jordan.. Totally shocked... :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Apparently Jim Jones wasn't available.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

IMO: biggest threat to the country right now is a slide/plunge into authoritarianism. Essentially losing our democracy.

Pandemic is big, sure in many places we resemble developing countries, so yay for infrastructure. Immigration is big.

But is anything bigger than losing our democracy? Biden and Congress get an F for recognizing and acting on priorities.

Maybe there’s nothing that can be done at this point though, or the D’s lack the political power/mandate to act effectively on it. I suspect the latter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:26 pm Maybe there’s nothing that can be done at this point though, or the D’s lack the political power/mandate to act effectively on it. I suspect the latter.
It's a mix of both. If we just had the House then I think we'd already have five different responses to the situation. But we're stuck in a situation where you need (among other things) someone representing a state that Trump won by 38 points in order to do any kind of response to the threats posed by Trump.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:12 pm Trump responds and says there'd be no way I'd pick this loser to help me run this coup. This is a beyond the pale, dangerous statement.

Edit: Ken's take

Note to Bill Kristol: If Twitter banned Trump and his ridiculous misinformation-filled statements, and you post copies of his ridiculous misinformation-filled statements on your Twitter account . . . is that a good idea?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

All of Trump's statements make it onto Twitter in some way.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Welp, A DEA special agent was arrested related to Jan 6
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:01 pm
Welp, A DEA special agent was arrested related to Jan 6
He was undercover. He had a kriminal sopena to bring down ANTIFA.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Troy Nehls is my new Rep and clearly an inexperienced Republican toadie. That dude hasn't had a single creative or independent thought since I first heard his name.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hilarious

“It’s unprecedented, it’s never happened before in the history of select committees,” Jordan tells me of Pelosis decision to veto his membership.

He’s headed to meet with McCarthy now
Article.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Best thing I've heard all week.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

I actually had expected that Pelosi had factored in Jim Jordan and had a plan to deal with him being on the committee. This will amp up the 'it's politics angle' but I think it is ultimately the right choice. The guy is too deeply tied to the events *and* reporters have no problem letting him spit FUD into a microphone without any responsible filter.
hepcat

Re: Capitol Riot Investigation ThreadAlso

Post by hepcat »

Also, since he'll most likely be called as a witness during the investigation, having him on the committee would be awkward.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You can read her official statement here:
“Monday evening, the Minority Leader recommended 5 Members to serve on the Select Committee. I have spoken with him this morning about the objections raised about Representatives Jim Banks and Jim Jordan and the impact their appointments may have on the integrity of the investigation. I also informed him that I was prepared to appoint Representatives Rodney Davis, Kelly Armstrong and Troy Nehls, and requested that he recommend two other Members.

“With respect for the integrity of the investigation, with an insistence on the truth and with concern about statements made and actions taken by these Members, I must reject the recommendations of Representatives Banks and Jordan to the Select Committee.

“The unprecedented nature of January 6th demands this unprecedented decision.”