Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

Post by Smoove_B »

Unagi wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:57 pm Totally... It's almost comical. Ohh... To be so bold as to look a grand total of one solid day before the attack... :?
I'd like to believe they're building a narrative - that they focused on 1/6 but then discovered communications that led them to focus on 1/5. Once they start looking at 1/5, lo and behold, we need to go back to days and weeks before.

The idea would be to go that route rather than just say "We're investigating 1/6 and are currently looking at communications from December of 2020" - which in isolation wouldn't make sense.

They're letting the investigation raise questions and then following the new information back in time.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’d like to believe this isn’t an absurd circus/theater, but we all know how this ends.

11 pages of hope that surely, THIS time, they’ve gone too far, and there is still justice in the world.

Reminds me a lot of our collective reaction after Sandy Hook. Fucking crickets. A horrible, existential tragedy and threat. I guess the days of America taking on enormous challenges and coming out stronger are over.

I give the Democrats a 4% chance of holding even one treasonous asshole accountable (not talking about the schlubs that did the actual storming, someone in power).
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:11 pm I give the Democrats a 4% chance of holding even one treasonous asshole accountable (not talking about the schlubs that did the actual storming, someone in power).
I wish I had your optimism.
malchior

Post by malchior »

We are staring into the abyss.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

deleted for mis-reading
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Regarding the sudden call for reprisals against the various telecommunication carriers:

Lauren Boebert seems to be unraveling like Madison Cawthorn and Jim Jordan. They must be super worried about their phone records.
:think:
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Missed this at the time. I still feel like almost no one with the power to act is taking the risk seriously.

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

malchior wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:19 pm Missed this at the time. I still feel like almost no one with the power to act is taking the risk seriously.

If I were the president I'd be hanging traitors already.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:38 pm If I were the president I'd be hanging traitors already.
The president doesn't have the power to hang anyone.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:03 pm
Drazzil wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:38 pm If I were the president I'd be hanging traitors already.
I'd find the people to investigate them first. Of course, then after a fair and impartial trial; I'd have them hung. Its a simple thing really. Applying the rules to the idiots who rioted, and the people who enabled the idiots that rioted.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:35 pm
I'd find the people to investigate them first. Of course, then after a fair and impartial trial; I'd have them hung. Its a simple thing really. Applying the rules to the idiots who rioted, and the people who enabled the idiots that rioted.
The president has no power to investigate people, let alone to "have them hung."
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:41 pm
Drazzil wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:35 pm
The president has no power to investigate people, let alone to "have them hung."
If I'm not mistaken, the president has the power to appoint AG's. Biden should find an AG (or an acting AG) to start investigating the people behind the Jan 6 insurrection, if his current AG wont do it, fire him and find someone who will. Unravel the GOP like the FBI used the RICO laws to unravel the mob.

Then he can arrest, convict, and try the guilty parties. THEN have them hung.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If he can't shout "off with their heads!" and make it happen why would he even want the job?

Also, "treason" is narrowly defined for a reason.
he Constitution specifically identifies what constitutes treason against the United States and, importantly, limits the offense of treason to only two types of conduct: (1) “levying war” against the United States; or (2) “adhering to [the] enemies [of the United States], giving them aid and comfort.” Although there have not been many treason prosecutions in American history—indeed, only one person has been indicted for treason since 1954—the Supreme Court has had occasion to further define what each type of treason entails.
The Capitol rioters are traitors by our common understanding of the word, but they don't meet the legal understanding.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:09 pm
If he can't shout "off with their heads!" and make it happen why would he even want the job?

Also, "treason" is narrowly defined for a reason.
he Constitution specifically identifies what constitutes treason against the United States and, importantly, limits the offense of treason to only two types of conduct: (1) “levying war” against the United States; or (2) “adhering to [the] enemies [of the United States], giving them aid and comfort.” Although there have not been many treason prosecutions in American history—indeed, only one person has been indicted for treason since 1954—the Supreme Court has had occasion to further define what each type of treason entails.
The Capitol rioters are traitors by our common understanding of the word, but they don't meet the legal understanding.
I'm pretty sure that the Jan 6 idiots were "levying war" against the United States. IMO though. I'm no lawyer. The congresshits who gave them the tours would most certainly meet the "aid and comfort to the enemies of the United States" in part 2.

Long drop short stop.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This letter is a trainwreck. It is unethical at best but it starts off complaining about turning over records to 'Democrats'. No it is a request by a Select Committee comprised of members of both parties. These guys are such morons.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That's the great thing about the business records! Your consent isn't needed.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

How many of them signed off on and still support the Patriot Act, I wonder?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zero. None of them were in Congress. These are signatures of the worst of the worst seditionists. Most if not all goblinized during the Trump administration. It's no surprise they don't want the records turned over. I suspect they don't care. It isn't like anything will happen to them. They are just putting in their performances.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I wonder if all of the letters were so meticulously researched. Mayer hasn't been CEO of Yahoo for a while.
Holman

Post by Holman »

"We, the undersigned, officially attempt obstruction of a congressional investigation."

This ought to be easy.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Alefroth wrote:I wonder if all of the letters were so meticulously researched. Mayer hasn't been CEO of Yahoo for a while.
Good point...Mayer resigned her position with Yahoo when they were bought out by Verizon in 2017.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is a good conversation about the different avenues that need to be explored. As a sample:

* Why did Pence refuse to leave the Capitol? Did he know something was up?

* Why did all 10 living former Secretaries of Defense write an open letter on January 3rd to urge the military to stay out of political/electoral processes?

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’d rather those disturbing details not be uncovered since we seem incapable or unwilling to actually punish those responsible.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

And I'd like to see those details, and many more like them, making headlines a year from now.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:56 pm This letter is a trainwreck. It is unethical at best but it starts off complaining about turning over records to 'Democrats'. No it is a request by a Select Committee comprised of members of both parties. These guys are such morons.

I would hope the response is something like:

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Do y'all think we're going to see more fireworks on 9/18, when the MAGAts gather at the Capitol to support the "political prisoners" from 1/6? I see that the Capitol Police are going to move the fencing back into place and bracing for violence...are we in for another shitshow?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:24 am Do y'all think we're going to see more fireworks on 9/18, when the MAGAts gather at the Capitol to support the "political prisoners" from 1/6? I see that the Capitol Police are going to move the fencing back into place and bracing for violence...are we in for another shitshow?
I am unwilling to visit the dark online places where such things are plotted, so I have no idea.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:24 am Do y'all think we're going to see more fireworks on 9/18, when the MAGAts gather at the Capitol to support the "political prisoners" from 1/6? I see that the Capitol Police are going to move the fencing back into place and bracing for violence...are we in for another shitshow?
If they use the industrial strength fencing instead of bike racks, there shouldn't be any incursions into the Capitol. But there could be major rioting outside. The world needs to see that these fascist imbeciles represent a clear and present danger.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If it gets rowdy, I only hope that tear gas and pepper spray are used excessively. Hell, throw packs of firecrackers into the angry, obnoxious throng. :P

Maybe we should ask the question "are the Capitol Police mentally and physically equipped and staffed up to handle a 1/6 type event?" The last thing I remember reading about them, many had PTSD, hurt, injured, killed (suicide or other), fired, quit, etc. I imagine morale is not great in that group right now.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Weren't we all afraid that they were going to try something at the inauguration? I'm not sure, sans Trump, they have the organization to produce another 1/6 scale event, particularly in the face of security that is expecting them.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:51 pm Weren't we all afraid that they were going to try something at the inauguration? I'm not sure, sans Trump, they have the organization to produce another 1/6 scale event, particularly in the face of security that is expecting them.
I don't think it will be of the same scale because they've lost the element of surprise/disbelief, and hundreds of participants from last time are in custody or at least well-known. OTOH, their success might embolden an even larger crowd, and they're even more riled up by the vaccine mandates and Afghanistan coverage and so forth. There will surely be instigators, possibly from both sides. I posed the question because IDK what to expect. I hope it fizzles.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I was completely unaware that this was even a thing. Honestly, if they want to 'press the point', I am (strategically) down for that. I'm not OK with the idea of more Capitol Police officers having to put their lives on the line for these asshole's right to protest. At least if the shit hits the show, this time, Biden admin wont (literally) hesitate to bring in the National Guard, I would think.
Last edited by Unagi on Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:22 pm The world needs to see that these fascist imbeciles represent a clear and present danger.
Agreed.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:51 pm Weren't we all afraid that they were going to try something at the inauguration? I'm not sure, sans Trump, they have the organization to produce another 1/6 scale event, particularly in the face of security that is expecting them.
The bigger factor, I think, is that the people making the decisions won't be telling them to stand down and let the bad guys go on in. If they start breaking down barricades and climbing walls like last time, they're in for the kind of response they'd get any time other than 1/6.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

I think this is more about producing MAGA soundbites and securing MAGA bona fides than actually seizing the Capitol.

On 1/6, the fervent actually believed that they could stop the electoral count and change the result. This time it's just a gross pep rally.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:26 pm
I think this is more about producing MAGA soundbites and securing MAGA bona fides than actually seizing the Capitol.

On 1/6, the fervent actually believed that they could stop the electoral count and change the result. This time it's just a gross pep rally.
Exactly. On 1/6 they had a motive and a goal, no matter how outlandish. This time, what would they be trying to achieve. I also think all of the arrests, even with almost no convictions, will have a chilling effect.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:55 pm
The bigger factor, I think, is that the people making the decisions won't be telling them to stand down and let the bad guys go on in. If they start breaking down barricades and climbing walls like last time, they're in for the kind of response they'd get any time other than 1/6.
But the orange guy in Florida is still the shadow president right, he's just wearing Biden's skin and waiting for the right moment to reveal himself or something.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:04 pm
But the orange guy in Florida is still the shadow president right, he's just wearing Biden's skin and waiting for the right moment to reveal himself or something.
Forget those guys. I'd think after the police dealt with 1/6 and its resultant fallout (suicides, etc), they're not going to be as accommodating if something new happens.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

We assume, and hope.