The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Re: The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

Post by Kasey Chang »

Not sure how that bill is going to work given that SCOTUS had already ruled in Bruesewitz vs Wyeth that Federal law preempts state law when it comes to vaccine lawsuits. But then, I'm not a lawyer.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:22 pm Would not have guess Alabama was going to be first, but here are:
Three state lawmakers have filed a bill that would allow workers to sue their employers for any “adverse reaction” they receive from COVID-19 vaccines mandated by their job.

The bill, prefiled Sept. 1 for the 2022 legislative session beginning in January, “would provide a private right of action against an employer for any adverse reaction, injury, temporary or permanent disability, or death of an employee arising from an employer mandate that the employee receive a 13 COVID-19 vaccine,”
NOTE: In CDC parlance, there is not "adverse reaction" language to describe what happens after a vaccination. We have Adverse Events and Side Effects. The way this law is being proposed I'm guessing someone could sue if they get a headache or their shoes fall after after getting the COVID-19 vaccination.

I guess you could argue "Side Effects" are "adverse reactions" but that still doesn't help anything.
The quoted language makes me think they could sue if they get into a get into a car accident on the way to or from getting a shot. Damages arising from "the mandate", not the actual vaccine. Heck, of their friends tease them they may be able to claim injury.

Caveat: IANAFL nor have I read the full language.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

If the mandate was "you must have a vaccine to work here", would that clear the company? Since they aren't actually making you get the vaccine in that case. You are choosing to get it so that you can continue working. Splitting hairs, but would it get around the issue?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not sure how the influenza vaccination mandates are officially worded, but I would be kinda surprised to learn they didn't copy/paste that language to a COVID-19 vaccination requirement. The influenza vaccination mandate has repeatedly been legally tested an upheld.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you go to the hospital for invermectin and they test and find it in you then you should get booted to the curb. Or have psych come take you.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Southwest Airlines is giving 16 hours of extra pay for pilots and flight attendants who got vaxxed. And those who don't... will LOSE their quarantine pay protection (which gives 10 days off PLUS their regular sick pay if they caught COVID on the job). Delta, American, and United had already offered similar incentives and penalties.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's great, but they also need to start requiring proof of vaccination for travel - all of them. So we don't have to deal with crap like this:
As CBS2’s Kevin Rincon reports, vaccination checks are ongoing at the door of the restaurant after the three tourists from Texas assaulted a 24-year-old hostess.

The NYPD said the hostess was punched, slapped and her necklace ripped off after she asked the group for proof of vaccination, a new city policy to dine indoors.

People needed to be physically pulled off as they nearly knocked over the hostess stand.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Checking out at Walmart I mentioned this mask is making me so hot in here. The older checkout guy with no mask says proudly " I didn't even get a shot"...to which I replied "Didn't hurt. Made my arm a little sore" ...started to mention the tracking works great too as I always know where I am...but didn't.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Judge: Gov. Lee's mask opt-out can endanger disabled kids

The judge said during a Sept. 9 court hearing that universal masking may be more cost-efficient.

SUCK IT LEE!
A federal judge has indefinitely blocked Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee from allowing parents to opt out of school mask requirements in Shelby County, saying Friday that evidence shows Lee's order prevents children with health problems from safely going to school during the coronavirus pandemic.

U.S. District Judge Sheryl Lipman issued the preliminary injunction after parents of students with health conditions argued that the Republican governor's executive order endangered their children and hurt their ability to attend in-person classes by allowing others to opt-out of a mask mandate.

“It is that unmasked presence that creates the danger to these Plaintiffs," the judge wrote Friday.
The bastard has the nerve to wear a mask to keep from dying but wont allow kids the same safety. GOP evil . Plain evil...plus stupid it seems.
Enlarge Image
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lest you think Rowlett is some backwater here in Texas...

My preferred watering hole is that Flying Saucer. This is on the eastern outskirts of the DFW metroplex, but still well within its gravity well.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hope they go out of business. Doesn't hurt that fucker for someone to wear a mask for their child. He should be forced to wear one as well. Thats discrimination. Sue the bastard.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:38 pm
He put his blood, sweat, and tears into a strip mall sports dive? He deigns it above face masks? I've been to that exact same bar in a dozen towns and it's always whatever is the closest place to the hotel that it still open. Soulless and forgettable.

The family shouldn't have to go through that but they're better off now assuming they're not going back.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'll be a little mean here and ask: What kind of parents to an immunocompromised infant would want to spend time inside a restaurants that's big thing is: No Masks Allowed !?

Honestly.

Seeing as though masks mostly help those you are with, not yourself... the owner was doing their infant a favor by kicking them out of the place.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I went to high school at DFW. Really no desire to go back.
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:20 am Huh - my whole company is held to the federal contractor vaccine requirements even though that business is overall pretty small. I'm all for it, but I'm curious if we are going to lose anyone from my facility as a result. The work is hard, but pays well and the company is good to work for in terms of benefits and stability.
Our County Sheriff came on the news today and said neither he nor any of his officers will be enforcing the President's mandate as the Sheriff is a State office with no power to enforce federal law. He said he had nothing to do with the vaccine and everything to do with personal freedom.

No one asked him why he thought anyone expected him to enforce it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Unagi wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:32 pm I'll be a little mean here and ask: What kind of parents to an immunocompromised infant would want to spend time inside a restaurants that's big thing is: No Masks Allowed !?

Honestly.

Seeing as though masks mostly help those you are with, not yourself... the owner was doing their infant a favor by kicking them out of the place.
This.

The first thing that crossed my mind was "Is that somehow the only establishment they can go to for dinner and drinks?" Because they'd be better off literally anywhere else. If a place said "no masks allowed", my first instinct would be to turn around and go somewhere else...doubly so if I have immunocompromised family members.

I actually don't have much problem with the owner having that stupid rule. It's his place, and if he wants to fly his plague rat flag high and die on that particular hill (and I have little doubt his business will die, along with his customers), then he's more than welcome to do so. Makes it easier for sane people to avoid the place.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its discrimination. Kicks people out for a mask. What about people in khaki pants? Or gay folks next? Skin black? Out you go.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:58 am Its discrimination. Kicks people out for a mask. What about people in khaki pants? Or gay folks next? Skin black? Out you go.
Last I checked, "mask wearer" is not a protected class.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Haven't seen this posted yet: Pfizer is out with a press release this AM confirming that their vaccine is safe and effective in children 5-11. This was an expected step prior to them submitting for EUA approval. This release also confirms that they still expect to submit that application by the end of this month.

So, hopefully late October for approval? :csmile:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Right, unless that community is under some type of mandatory mask order (I'll pause here for laughter), the owner is free to kick out people wearing masks as he sees fit.

However, above and beyond parents with immunocompromised kids, I'm going to take the controversial position that no one should be eating indoors at a restaurant at this time. This includes kids in a school cafeteria. I know it's not a popular opinion, but being masked indoors around other people also unmasked with unknown vaccination status right now is not a good idea.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:58 am What about people in khaki pants?
Yes he could, and that was exactly his defense: dress code
Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:58 am Or gay folks next? Skin black? Out you go.
Now that would be discrimination.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yes he could, and that was exactly his defense: dress code
As far as Ive ever seen shirt and shoes are all thats required. I mean not even pants supposedly. If he can claim dress code then he or anyone could kick out anyone for any clothing they want to claim. Me because they can claim its my shoes. You because of a tie. Maybe then they would move on and use it on people of color and say its not their color its their belt or their hat. Its a open to the public place. I think he went too far.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Sorta darkly ironic?

Death of Hillsborough (Florida) GOP member from COVID causes financial problems for party , because apparently only he had the password and nobody else knows how to use the software without him, and thus, they can't file the donations report to the Federal Elections Commission.

No surprise, these members are the ones screaming the loudest about "no mask or vaccine mandate", and also peddled "Trump won" crap.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

lol whoopsie.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:47 pm Sorta darkly ironic?

Death of Hillsborough (Florida) GOP member from COVID causes financial problems for party , because apparently only he had the password and nobody else knows how to use the software without him, and thus, they can't file the donations report to the Federal Elections Commission.

No surprise, these members are the ones screaming the loudest about "no mask or vaccine mandate", and also peddled "Trump won" crap.
from article wrote: Kimball went on to suggest that Tampa General was “not a safe place to go,” repeating a pervasive myth that the life-saving treatment at hospitals was the cause of many recent coronavirus deaths. Two days after Prentice’s death, Kimball called for an investigation into Tampa General during the public comment period of the Tampa City Council meeting and accused the hospital of “intubating people illegally.”
I know it's very very wrong, but I kinda want to fan Kimball's myth that hospitals aren't going to save you from covid. That should at least free up some hospital beds, because it's mostly unvaccinated folks who would believe this myth and therefore stay away from hospitals.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Today in "Effective Advertising 101" :lol:

stessier

Post by stessier »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:30 pm Today in "Effective Advertising 101" :lol:

It says Tweet Unavailable. Can you summarize what it was?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

stessier wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:47 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:30 pm Today in "Effective Advertising 101" :lol:

It says Tweet Unavailable. Can you summarize what it was?
It was an ad on the side of a big truck that said "Don't get vaccinated" and it was paid for by a local funeral home.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Weird, still shows up for me.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, shows for me. Effective.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Shows up for me now too. Weird.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have a big project coming up next month in Rwanda. We’re sending a couple US-based contractors over to Kigali for two weeks to do training with US Embassy and USAID staff. We had a call with them this morning to finalize all the logistics. It was remarkable - and disheartening - to see the difference between protocols in Rwanda vs. the US. A couple highlights:

- 100% of Embassy staff is vaccinated
- 90% of the general population is vaccinated, with that number reaching closer to 95% in urban areas.
- Everyone wears masks everywhere they go, all the time. Mandates are in place, but “there is never any need to enforce them”
- Restaurants, bars, theaters, etc. all voluntarily limit capacity to between 30-50%
- They have coordinated outdoor meeting space for the training. Additionally, they have a backup option in case of inclement weather that has adequate ventilation and will require social distancing.

Candidly, they are far more concerned about our contractors bringing COVID to them, than vice versa. The final comment from the State Dept liason was “you won’t have to worry while you’re here, as we can assure you everyone here takes the safety of everyone else very seriously”.

If only. :(
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

African countries generally are very acutely aware of danger presented by infectious diseases - they don't mess around with that stuff. It's a daily reality, not something your grandparents tell you stories about.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:08 pm- 90% of the general population is vaccinated, with that number reaching closer to 95% in urban areas.
Uhhhhh.....
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Little Raven wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:17 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:08 pm- 90% of the general population is vaccinated, with that number reaching closer to 95% in urban areas.
Uhhhhh.....
Still not a great representation of what we should be focused on - the total number of fully vaccinated people globally. Here, we're at ~32% of the global population. Reporting "adult population" and "first dose" is useful, but in terms of ending the pandemic, every human must be counted in the denominator.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Standard propaganda bits, pick out something that sounds more palatable.

Like Florida changing their COVID death reporting numbers, as pointed out earlier, or how Texas stopped reporting the age in its COVID victims so they don't want to see how much of their latest COVID victims are children (created by their anti-mask policy)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:07 am I'm going to take the controversial position that no one should be eating indoors at a restaurant at this time. This includes kids in a school cafeteria. I know it's not a popular opinion, but being masked indoors around other people also unmasked with unknown vaccination status right now is not a good idea.
To be honest, I ate lunch indoors today. My son got a gift card to Azzip (a pizza place) for his birthday, and they had outdoor dining. We got there right after a rain and everything outside was soaked. When we went in to order, though, we were literally the only people in the building except for two staff, who were masked.

We sat in the far corner and ate.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Little Raven wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:17 pm
Uhhhhh.....
Interesting, thanks for the heads-up. I hadn't looked at the data myself, just going off what they were told us this morning. My guess is that number was just referring to the urban centers and not the country at large. Which would make sense, I suppose. My instructors have been to Kigali a number of times, and they have always been struck by the cleanliness and general level of health-awareness.

I'll see if I can get clarification from them.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:01 pm To be honest, I ate lunch indoors today. My son got a gift card to Azzip (a pizza place) for his birthday, and they had outdoor dining. We got there right after a rain and everything outside was soaked. When we went in to order, though, we were literally the only people in the building except for two staff, who were masked.

We sat in the far corner and ate.
Here, you're relying (trusting?) that the building/room has adequate ventilation. Namely that they're actively circulating the air. Remember, we now know that SARS-CoV-2 under the right environmental conditions can remain airborne (i.e. hanging out, floating in the air) for up to 3 hours. This means that you're potentially breathing the air of people that were in there, unmasked, for up to 3 hours prior to your visit. In other words, they're long gone but you're breathing in the viral particles they exhaled that are still floating around, looking for a meat factory to replicate in. Adequate/appropriate ventilation reduces that risk significantly.

NOTE: Not trying to cause anxiety, just clarifying my (apparently) controversial opinion for many people.