Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Ralph-Wiggum

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I don't know if Biden has the authority to enforce this, but I'm all for it.

Spoiler:
NEW: The President will announce that all employers with 100 or more employees will be required to mandate COVID-19 vaccines or require testing at least once a week, and they’ll have to provide paid time off.

The new rule will impact over 80 million workers in private sector.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:01 pm Enlarge Image
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Not sure the source here, but here's some more info:

Spoiler:
The requirement for large companies to mandate vaccinations or weekly testing for employees will be enacted through a forthcoming rule from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration that carries penalties of $14,000 per violation & require paid time off for vaccination.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This Elle Reeve piece is really good.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I just got a work e-mail saying that an individual in my office building (not from my employer, but rather someone working for a different tenant in the relevant skyscraper) tested positive. I wasn't in the office that day (I very rarely am), so not an issue for me. What caught my attention was that they noted that they are going to be "electrostatically disinfecting" the relevant elevator.

First, I've never heard of electrostatic disinfection. Second, haven't we already settled that disinfecting spaces that a COVID positive person went through does nothing to prevent the spread of COVID?
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:40 pm First, I've never heard of electrostatic disinfection. Second, haven't we already settled that disinfecting spaces that a COVID positive person went through does nothing to prevent the spread of COVID?
My first question (and I'd love to ask this to a room of lawyers), are they following EPA guidelines?

In terms of doing it, it's not necessarily *bad*, but if that's the only thing they are doing, I'd be more concerned. Like, if their entire COVID prevention plan is hinged on sci-fi foggers, that is not good.

Also use of these in an elevator is...odd. These devices are typically used to deal with large areas. Someone with a bucket and cloth could handle an elevator.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

People are losing their minds over the still unannounced plan from Biden likening him to a dictator. This isn't going to go the way we want it to.

Edit: That said if he has to be a little bit of a 'dictator' to make people act like fucking adults so be it. People want to be spoiled children then we have to treat them like children.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:38 pm People are losing their minds over the still unannounced plan from Biden likening him to a dictator. This isn't going to go the way we want it to.
I am hoping the rumors are true and that it's a very, very vocal minority that is making it feel like more people are against doing anything to stop the uncontrolled spread right now. When you add in the elected officials that are amplifying these fringe-actors, it makes it seem like there's even more people against sensible actions.

I need to believe this because if the majority of people are genuinely against what Biden is proposing, then it's time for me to change careers and move; I cannot take much more of this.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:38 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:40 pm First, I've never heard of electrostatic disinfection. Second, haven't we already settled that disinfecting spaces that a COVID positive person went through does nothing to prevent the spread of COVID?
My first question (and I'd love to ask this to a room of lawyers), are they following EPA guidelines?

In terms of doing it, it's not necessarily *bad*, but if that's the only thing they are doing, I'd be more concerned. Like, if their entire COVID prevention plan is hinged on sci-fi foggers, that is not good.

Also use of these in an elevator is...odd. These devices are typically used to deal with large areas. Someone with a bucket and cloth could handle an elevator.
Honestly I think this motivated by the need to be seen to be doing something. The individual employers are responsible for the COVID protocols that actually matter (people working from home, people wearing masks in the offices, people getting vaccinated, etc.). But I imagine the building owner is worried that if they don't announce some action alongside the "FYI someone tested positive in case you were in the office that day" notice, then the tenants might get mad at them. So they add "Fear not, we are cleaning the elevator with science!" to the e-mail.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:41 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:38 pm People are losing their minds over the still unannounced plan from Biden likening him to a dictator. This isn't going to go the way we want it to.
I am hoping the rumors are true and that it's a very, very vocal minority that is making it feel like more people are against doing anything to stop the uncontrolled spread right now. When you add in the elected officials that are amplifying these fringe-actors, it makes it seem like there's even more people against sensible actions.

I need to believe this because if the majority of people are genuinely against what Biden is proposing, then it's time for me to change careers and move; I cannot take much more of this.
I mean, the people who are going to liken Biden to a dictator on this stuff are not likely to vote for his reelection anyway, whereas reducing the spread of COVID will likely help improve things in a way that will help his reelection.

But this sounds like rule making, which takes forever, so unless there's some emergency process in place I suspect that this won't go into effect until after it no longer matters. BUT at the same time I feel like most of the value from this stuff is so that employers who want to do this (because they don't want to have to deal with employees being out) can tell Trumpists that complain that "hey, it's not up to us - it's Biden's rule, what can you do?"
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

From where I sit it's not a majority but it is not a very small minority either.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:47 pm

From where I sit it's not a majority but it is not a very small minority either.
"hey, it's not up to us - it's Biden's rule, what can you do?"
"They can't touch you." "It's not the law. It's just a mandate."
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:50 pm
LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:47 pm

"hey, it's not up to us - it's Biden's rule, what can you do?"
"They can't touch you." "It's not the law. It's just a mandate."
Yeah, but in general employers don't need *that* much additional support because the real message is "get vaccinated or you're fired." There being some unenforceable federal rule is mostly useful for any negative PR fallout.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:46 pmBut this sounds like rule making, which takes forever, so unless there's some emergency process in place I suspect that this won't go into effect until after it no longer matters.
It is something called a Temporary Emergency Standard. They dropped one on healthcare providers in June to make healthcare providers develop a plan to reduce exposure risk to COVID-19. Is it legal? I don't know. Do I really care at this point? A little but enough is enough with these assholes.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

The anti-vax and anti-mask crowd is surely causing business a lot of money. Without laws to cite, business had not much recourse to deal with it. Every time an anti would cough, and cause a whole office to quarantine and need cleaning, it costs a lot of money. Now if this goes though, they can put the pressure on. vax, or you are out.
Biden knows he cannot get though to people via politics, because half the political leaders are in the anti crowd. But following the money angle is a smart move. Big companies are going to put the screws on hard after this.

The anti crowd has proven multiple times, it doesn't care until they get personally affected. If this goes through, it will be vax or get fired, and thats a pretty personal impact.

I am sure there will be plenty of smaller companies that refuse, and are proud of it. Thats fine, makes it easier for us to avoid them.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

There are even companies that will refuse to employ vaccinated people. Well, at least one company...

Choppy waters: Ontario canoe maker posts jobs only for ‘unvaccinated individuals’
“Please DO NOT apply if you have taken any vaccines for COVID-19,” read the job posting for watercraft retailer Souris River Canoes . “We will only be considering unvaccinated individuals.”

The posting is aiming to fill two full-time roles and one part-time position for workers to start in October with six-month renewable positions. The company in Atikokan, Ont., was established in 1985 and is owned by a husband and wife team.
The company stood by its position in an emailed response to one of its critics that has since been shared on Reddit.com. In their statement, owners Arlene and Keith Robinson said, “We stand against government and corporate bullying of people’s right to health freedom using vaccine mandates and vaccine passports.”

They said they support the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the Canadian Constitution and the Nuremburg Code.

“You have a right to your judgemental attitudes and opinions, just as we have a right to make our own business hiring decisions.”
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am speechless:
The Kentucky Department for Public Health reported 5,252 new COVID-19 cases Thursday, as well as 36 additional coronavirus-related deaths.

The new cases include 1,602 teens and kids age 18 and younger.

The COVID-19 test positivity rate is 14.04% as of Thursday, and all but two counties are in the red zone. Cases are being reported at high or substantial rates across the entire commonwealth, which means masks are recommended in indoor public places and crowded outdoor events.
"Our hospital situation has never been more dire in my lifetime than it is right now," the governor said. "That means if you get COVID and you need to be hospitalized, there's never been a greater likelihood that there's not a bed for you or your family members or your friends. At the same time, if you were in a car accident today and you need emergency treatment, that emergency room has never been more full than it is right now."
Why am I speechless?

Vaccine mandates that ignore natural immunity ignore the science, are unscientific, and should not be adhered to or promulgated by the government.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

He really believe that or he is just an evil person?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:41 pm He really believe that or he is just an evil person?
Well, he's not a good person, at the least.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bet he looked those words up first.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

1. Get all the gun-owning crazies on your side against the bleeding heart liberals who would defend them were it the other way around.

2. Seize complete control of the government.

3. Subdue/disempower the bleeding hearts.

4. Turn on the gun crazies. Take their guns.

5. You have won.

If you happen to get a viral pandemic that helps you with steps 3 and/or 4, embrace it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
raydude

Post by raydude »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:26 am 1. Get all the gun-owning crazies on your side against the bleeding heart liberals who would defend them were it the other way around.

5. You have won.

If you happen to get a viral pandemic that helps you with steps 3 and/or 4, embrace it.
Do you even need step 4? If the gun crazies don't see anything wrong with any of step 3 they are more than likely going to go along with whatever fascist dictatorial crap one thinks up, as long as it is couched it in terms of owning the libs.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

raydude wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:08 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:26 am 1. Get all the gun-owning crazies on your side against the bleeding heart liberals who would defend them were it the other way around.

5. You have won.

Do you even need step 4? If the gun crazies don't see anything wrong with any of step 3 they are more than likely going to go along with whatever fascist dictatorial crap one thinks up, as long as it is couched it in terms of owning the libs.
Is step 5 actually a step? There's no action there.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

5. You have won.

They're too much of a wildcard. They will follow Trump to the ends of the earth. What's to say they won't find another less controllable demagogue?

No, the final phase is always to turn on any potential future threat.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:16 am

5. You have won.

Is step 5 actually a step? There's no action there.
5. Throw a party.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:51 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:41 pm He really believe that or he is just an evil person?
Well, he's not a good person, at the least.
He probably doesn't believe it.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The building that I work in is applying science to keep us safe:
The health and well-being of our tenants have always been a priority for [building], and the COVID-19 pandemic has brought this commitment to the forefront. We are very pleased to announce that [building] has been recognized for achieving the rigorous requirements of the Fitwel® Viral Response Module (VRM). This designation of excellence affirms our commitment to providing a healthy environment for all tenants, staff and visitors that spend time in our building.

Fitwel's Viral Response module is the most rigorous tool of its kind - setting science driven-requirements to maximize health and safety in light of Covid-19, based upon a thorough review of public health evidence with the US Center of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and global academic experts. Visit fitwel.org to learn more.

Building staff have implemented a variety of measures to protect your health in the face of Covid-19, addressing key priorities such as indoor air quality, cleaning protocols, hand hygiene, outbreak preparedness planning and more. You can download the attached PDF to learn about specific policies and practices designed to keep you safe now and into the future - whether we're facing a pandemic surge or annual flu season.

Your health and well-being are important to us, and we hope you will feel confident knowing that the highest caliber safety measures are in place to protect you.
I don't suppose the "Fitwel Viral Response Module" means anything to anyone? And by "anyone" I mean Smoove?
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:39 pm I don't suppose the "Fitwel Viral Response Module" means anything to anyone? And by "anyone" I mean Smoove?
I've legitimately never heard of this:
Fitwel is the world's leading certification system committed to building health for all®. Generated by expert analysis of 5,600+ academic research studies, Fitwel is implementing a vision for a healthier future where all buildings and communities are enhanced to strengthen health and well-being.

Fitwel was originally created by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention and U.S. General Services Administration. The CDC remains the research and evaluation partner for Fitwel. The Center for Active Design was selected as the licensed operator of Fitwel, charged with expanding Fitwel to the global market.
It's almost like...accreditation for building/infrastructure health. They might be at the intersection of civil engineering (HVAC) and public health, which is just a bit outside my experience. Definitely interesting.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Generated by expert analysis of 5,600+ academic research studies

"We read some meta-analyses."

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Fitwel is the world's leading certification system committed to building health for all®.
Are they claiming that entire sentence as a registered trademark, or just the word "all"? Or the phrase "building health for all"?

Any way you cut it, I find that off-putting.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:39 pm The building that I work in is applying science to keep us safe:

(Fitwel Viral Response Module stuff snipped)
Sounds like a facilities survey or some sort like those green building certifications, except this one has to do with the ventilation things.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Shameful. Absolutely shameful.

The US is now the least vaccinated G7 country.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kinda surprised it took this long, but with man gone will there be hope for gorilla?
More than a dozen gorillas at Zoo Atlanta were diagnosed with COVID-19 after they were seen coughing, with runny noses and losing their appetite.

Atlanta’s animal handlers took fecal samples and nasal and oral swabs from the gorillas and sent the samples to a lab at the University of Georgia, which returned a presumptive positive result, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The entire troop quarantined together for six weeks. Two received steroids and antibiotics and one of them got an experimental monoclonal antibody treatment. The others showed mild symptoms and healed just with ibuprofen, according to ABC10 News.
Oddly enough, no ivermectin.

Additionally:
A professor of microbiology at Davidson College wrote in Forbes magazine that gorilla populations could be further threatened by this new pathogen. Evidence of this virus in non-human primates also raises fundamental questions about the transmission of viruses between species and the evolution of pathogens, Professor David Wessner wrote.

“The transmission of this novel coronavirus from bats to humans to gorillas and other animals does shed light on the complex process of viral evolution and confirms the importance of robust emerging infectious disease surveillance programs,” he wrote in Forbes.
I'm waiting for confirmation, but I do not believe a lab-leak is involved. :wink:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I was surprised to see Japan was as high as your graph showed, because I have friends there that have shared with me the great resistance to (this?) vaccines in Japan....

and then today, I saw this news - and thought I would post it against the graph you shared. Japan has only just now hit 50%.

LINK: Japan passes 50% vaccination rate, may ease limits in Nov.

hmm, maybe that dark line is ~50%

Also, I've not heard people talk about this all that much... but how much faith can we put in the numbers that are shared from places like China, Russia,
Last edited by Unagi on Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Mass. is right up there with Denmark and China. I'm not sure if we're socialists or communists, but it's working for us.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

How risky is flying now? The CDC still says on their website that fully vaccinated individuals can travel safely. But it doesn't seem like it would be very safe.

Our daughter's first birthday is next month. All of her grandparents are local, except for my dad. He's fully vaccinated and was hoping to come down on her birthday to meet her for the first time, but that's felt like a bad idea with delta raging.