Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So the day before the labor day weekend, CPS changes guidance from "travel to any state except Vermont means unvaccinated kids have to test negative upon return" to "travel to any state except Vermont means unvaccinated kids must quarantine for 7 days and test negative or quarantine for 10 days."

The day before they knew everyone had plans to leave the state. Very few people will abide by the new edict, and undersandibly so. But we will.

We just cancelled our trip to attend the FILs ceremony (I'm a state that was not on the list prior to Tuesday in a county with higher vaccination rates and lower infection rates than Chicago or Cook County) to get a permanent professorship in his name. Kind of a lifetime honor, I'm told. The daughter is crying and the wife is about to resign her school council position. I'm vaccinated. Wife is vaccinated. 5YO is in private school and doesn't have the same restrictions. So now the kiddo thinks it's her fault.

Is it still a mystery why no one gives a fuck anymore? I know of a dozen families leaving the state with no intention of quarantining upon return. There is no unified message, no coordination, no planning.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:09 pm Is it still a mystery why no one gives a fuck anymore? I know of a dozen families leaving the state with no intention of quarantining upon return. There is no unified message, no coordination, no planning.
More and more, everything seems to be about limiting liability. So if you come back and attest you didn't travel, it doesn't matter that you actually did. On paper, the school asked and you verified. If someone else wants to dig deeper when COVID-19 cases spike at the school in the middle of September, that'll be on them.

But yeah, I've been spiraling for days.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:13 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:09 pm Is it still a mystery why no one gives a fuck anymore? I know of a dozen families leaving the state with no intention of quarantining upon return. There is no unified message, no coordination, no planning.
More and more, everything seems to be about limiting liability. So if you come back and attest you didn't travel, it doesn't matter that you actually did. On paper, the school asked and you verified. If someone else wants to dig deeper when COVID-19 cases spike at the school in the middle of September, that'll be on them.

Yep.. She'll be back in school next week having undistanced, unmasked lunches with the entire middle school packed into one lunchroom. But hey, they said some stuff about travel.

Of course those who would take precautions and do the required testing upon return will cancel plans and those who wouldn't won't.

Going to be a 3 fifth weekend.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Vermont peaks in September and October. Your daughter deserves a VT beer tour.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

soon, more people will have died of Covid in Florida than Americans died in Vietnam
I'm pretty sure it's already happened but reporting inconsistencies are hiding the real numbers.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:49 pm
soon, more people will have died of Covid in Florida than Americans died in Vietnam
I'm pretty sure it's already happened but reporting inconsistencies are hiding the real numbers.
50k people have died in FL? :shock: Isn't that like nearly 10% of all COVID deaths in the US (and only 6% of the population)?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

UK Study:

Coronavirus vaccines cut risk of long Covid, study finds
  • Of the 592 fully vaccinated people with Covid who continued to provide data for more than a month, 31 (5%) went on to get long Covid (defined as illness lasting 28 days or more after a positive test)
  • In the unvaccinated group this figure was about 11%
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:09 pm So the day before the labor day weekend, CPS changes guidance from "travel to any state except Vermont means unvaccinated kids have to test negative upon return" to "travel to any state except Vermont means unvaccinated kids must quarantine for 7 days and test negative or quarantine for 10 days."

The day before they knew everyone had plans to leave the state. Very few people will abide by the new edict, and undersandibly so. But we will.

We just cancelled our trip to attend the FILs ceremony (I'm a state that was not on the list prior to Tuesday in a county with higher vaccination rates and lower infection rates than Chicago or Cook County) to get a permanent professorship in his name. Kind of a lifetime honor, I'm told. The daughter is crying and the wife is about to resign her school council position. I'm vaccinated. Wife is vaccinated. 5YO is in private school and doesn't have the same restrictions. So now the kiddo thinks it's her fault.

Is it still a mystery why no one gives a fuck anymore? I know of a dozen families leaving the state with no intention of quarantining upon return. There is no unified message, no coordination, no planning.
Wondering what factors into your decision to comply?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Did you consider just having your wife go?
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:52 pm 50k people have died in FL? :shock: Isn't that like nearly 10% of all COVID deaths in the US (and only 6% of the population)?
Yes. They're at like ~46K reported deaths right now. Total reported in US is somewhere around 636K. CA has about 65K deaths, TX is #2 with 56K and NY is about 54K.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

According to Becker's Hospital Review Florida has the highest COVID death rate, at 1.51 people per 100,000 people. And it's the highest by a significant margin - this is the top five:
Florida
Deaths per 100,000: 1.51
Daily average deaths: 325.3

Mississippi
Deaths per 100,000: 1.41
Daily average deaths: 41.9

Louisiana
Deaths per 100,000: 1.1
Daily average deaths: 51.1

Arkansas
Deaths per 100,000: 0.93
Daily average deaths: 28.1

South Carolina
Deaths per 100,000: 0.92
Daily average deaths: 47.1
Over 50% higher than the #5 state, stessier's new home of SC.

But maybe that's not surprising when the state is both high population, densely populated, and run by a wannabe Trump.

I guess I should caveat that by saying that I'm not super familiar with Becker's Hospital Review (found it on google), so I'm assuming that they're data is reasonably accurate.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

We're #1! We're #1!

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:40 pm We're #1! We're #1!

Took us long enough. We weren't even competitive back in January, so it's nice to see we were able to regroup and retool during the offseason and finally get to the mountaintop.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Child COVID-19 cases accounted for 22.4% of weekly U.S. cases as kids return to school
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Weird - I thought kids didn't get Covid. :think:
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Do they think just kids get this now? Are they not thinking about the parents, grandparents, siblings ,teachers or guardians of these children that get Covid now?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:34 pm Weird - I thought kids didn't get Covid. :think:
Right? People still arguing this, even now.

Also, your sage advice for the day:

Pro-tip: When rapid COVID tests are sold out within a 50 mile radius, stay home.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:04 pm Did you consider just having your wife go?
Yes, and she did. We'll be watching the live stream but she'll be there supporting her dad.

Kurth wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:55 pm
Wondering what factors into your decision to comply?
My daughter would have to lie and she doesn't do well with lying. We were going to pull her out today and she told everyone why.

Plus some has to follow the rules, right?

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:16 pm According to Becker's Hospital Review Florida has the highest COVID death rate, at 1.51 people per 100,000 people. And it's the highest by a significant margin - this is the top five:
Florida
Deaths per 100,000: 1.51
Daily average deaths: 325.3

Mississippi
Deaths per 100,000: 1.41
Daily average deaths: 41.9

Louisiana
Deaths per 100,000: 1.1
Daily average deaths: 51.1

Arkansas
Deaths per 100,000: 0.93
Daily average deaths: 28.1

South Carolina
Deaths per 100,000: 0.92
Daily average deaths: 47.1
Over 50% higher than the #5 state, stessier's new home of SC.

But maybe that's not surprising when the state is both high population, densely populated, and run by a wannabe Trump.

I guess I should caveat that by saying that I'm not super familiar with Becker's Hospital Review (found it on google), so I'm assuming that they're data is reasonably accurate.
For clarity sake, that is for the last seven days. Reading that raw the numbers seemed confusingly off to me.
Here is a breakdown of average daily COVID-19 deaths and COVID-19 deaths per 100,000 people over the last seven days in all 50 U.S. states and Washington, D.C. The data was last updated Sept. 3.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Pro-tip: When rapid COVID tests are sold out within a 50 mile radius, stay home.
But how would I know they're sold out without going out to check? :?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They're so intelligent.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Defiant wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:02 pm

But how would I know they're sold out without going out to check? :?
I read somewhere that there are search engines where you can enter your location to find the nearest in-stock tests.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Another snapshot for the history books

can't stop staring in disbelief at this map of current global covid hot spots — the U.S., the wealthiest country in the world, where vaccines are freely available, has the highest per capita case rate right now of any country except Mongolia
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:38 pm
I am definitely in the camp of people that believes mask refusal about about denying reality. As long as people are visibly wearing masks, it's a constant reminder that things are in crisis right now. So if we don't wear masks, there is no visible indicator anything is wrong - we're all super terrific!
this is absolutely what i’ve been saying all along, and is my theory (and yes, i believe it is the dominant one, more so than the ‘stick-it-to-the-libs’ rationale)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Apparently COVID + MLM = DEATH. Attendees of an MLM convention (Paparazzi Jewelry) in Las Vegas MGM Grand August 2-4 are falling sick from COVID despite a mask-on policy for 20000 attendees. Supposedly 8 deaths have been reported on social media so far, and unvaxxed folks who attended are testing positive for COVID upon return. Media is calling it a "likely superspreader event".
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Smoove_B wrote:
Also, your sage advice for the day:

A few times in the last week the College of Charleston has emailed that they have acquired a bunch of take home rapid Covid tests available for free for any faculty and staff. And every time they’ve sent a follow up email with 15 minutes saying they were now all out.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

We bought 4 home rapid kits a whole back for our now-cancelled trip. Now they're sold out everywhere. Going to keep them because who the hell knows what's next but the $20 kits are going for north of $60 now.

MYT
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:27 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:13 pm

Yep.. She'll be back in school next week having undistanced, unmasked lunches with the entire middle school packed into one lunchroom. But hey, they said some stuff about travel.

Of course those who would take precautions and do the required testing upon return will cancel plans and those who wouldn't won't.

Going to be a 3 fifth weekend.
Ruh oh!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hospi ... d=msedgntp
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:17 pm

Enlarge Image
I've never seen so many orange honkies in my life. There's a Donald Trump joke hiding here, I just cant find it.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Exit life...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I can’t remember seeing one mask in the crowd that whole game.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

One of the staff on the NC side was wearing one.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:23 pm One of the staff on the NC side was wearing one.
Whew.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

There is so much irony in that video. Some will look at it as a victory and others will see it as admitting defeat. Deliciously stupid.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I was fishing today and there was a big group made up of a couple of families fishing and playing in the water about 20/30 feet away from me. Probably 20 people or so. After about two hours of this group all hanging out closely together, one of the families gets up to go. As they’re leaving one dude ask another guy in the group who is still fishing whether his family will be over later for the bbq. The dude replies that they can’t because they’re still in quarantine.
Black Lives Matter
Formix

Post by Formix »

It's . . . . not going to be global warming that kills us all, is it? It's going to be hubris.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Formix wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:47 am It's . . . . not going to be global warming that kills us all, is it? It's going to be hubris.
They're the same picture.