The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: The Former Trump Presidency Thread

Post by hepcat »

The same machine that has kept him in power can turn on him in a dime if the winds blow a different direction. It had to be a fickle device to put him in that spot to begin with. What makes you think Trump himself is what they love so much? It's what he represents (a kick in the face to perceived elite liberals, and a struggle to keep American values that are more than just slightly racist and isolationist) that they love. And a lot of people on the right have been studying that long enough that they may be able to just slide into place with the support of the right's propaganda machine if Trump's star starts to dim.

As president, Trump survived and thrived as a cult of personality. Trump's results could be anything from "I made the sun rise again today!" to "I prevented homosexuals from fighting for your freedom!". They didn't need to be tangible, nor did they need to be even difficult thanks to his ability to sometimes just go around everyone. As Speaker, he'd have to actually face an opposing party that can't stand him because of the very things that his party loves him for. And without that executive pen to bypass them, he's going to be hard pressed to rack up any wins.
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think the GOP would love nothing more than someone who represented Trump's "values" without the narcissism, baggage, lawsuits, etc. I feel like that side of him has always been tolerated, not embraced.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:19 am What makes you think Trump himself is what they love so much?
They never rallied behind anyone else like they have Trump. The Myth of Trump is not to be underestimated. Do you seriously think McConnell or Gaetz or any of the rest can carry the mantle?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No, but another rich white guy with a twitter account, no problem with being immature, a hard on for telling the right they're smart and perfect, and missing the baggage of those two might.

We didn't expect Trump. What makes you think the next one is already in the political and/or public eye?

Trump was the product of perfect timing, in my opinion. And that doesn't care who it supports.
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Now he's filing a class action lawsuit against Twitter and Facebook. It's funny how they are all for companies being allowed to do what the want unless it's something they don't like. Not making a cake for a gay couple that's our right! Not wanting a pyscho inciting riots? That's not right... Sadly with how stacked the courts are you never know what will come of it. I pray every day that he just keels over.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I remember the halcyon days of yore when I thought Pence was the bigger danger....
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:29 am No, but another rich white guy with a twitter account, no problem with being immature, a hard on for telling the right they're smart and perfect, and missing the baggage of those two might.

We didn't expect Trump. What makes you think his next one is already in the public eye?

Trump was the product of perfect timing, in my opinion. And that doesn't care who it supports.
Trump has made a career out of feeding the hungry public his special brand of bullshit. Being rich and white isn't his schtick. He's an aspirational icon for the gullible.

I doubted the staying power of his brand but evidence has proven its strength.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I highly doubt he would have gotten this far were he not white and rich. He plays off it too in a "hey, i'm just saying" kind of way.

He even latched onto the BLM movement and other racial protests to make himself into the face of resistance for scared white America. Not overtly, no. But through his actions and words he made it clear he was the great white hope for white supremacists all the way down to the people who lock their car doors when they see a black person nearby.
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think when an idiot like Trump sues YT and Twitter over a rightful ban and he loses then he should have to pay them whatever he was suing them for.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:44 amI highly doubt he would have gotten this far were he not white and rich.
This is not even in question. If he was an ordinary schlep he'd probably would have been in and out of prison his whole life.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:26 am
hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:19 am What makes you think Trump himself is what they love so much?
They never rallied behind anyone else like they have Trump. The Myth of Trump is not to be underestimated. Do you seriously think McConnell or Gaetz or any of the rest can carry the mantle?
Rand Paul could have a shot as could Paxton or DeSantis. Not sure any is "rich" enough though to carry out the I'm entitled to my arrogant righteous celebrity above you like you DJT does. Of course Palin, didn't have that either and she was the Bellwether. Others tried to follow her example and failed. I think Green might be the next of their kind but I'm not convinced she has the approximation of charisma I don't understand. Of course not being able to understand, she might very well have it.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:02 pm I think when an idiot like Trump sues YT and Twitter over a rightful ban and he loses then he should have to pay them whatever he was suing them for.
It's a class action suit so he wouldn't be on the hook anyway. He just knows it makes a good headline. Unless you are arguing that they aren't private companies I don't see how he has any kind of case. I've never hated anyone more in my life than that sack of shit.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump uses courts the way most people use a urinal.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:05 pmUnless you are arguing that they aren't private companies I don't see how he has any kind of case. I've never hated anyone more in my life than that sack of shit.
He has the worst, most corrupt and shittiest lawyers but they are indeed ahead of this obvious weakness. At least nominally, the lawsuit is arguing the social media giants are acting as an extension of the United States government. Seriously. It should be laughable but it is part of the strategy here to undermine our society. If this gets tossed, it is the deep state. If this drags on forever then he keeps this storyline alive. All of this is just making noise to keep him in the news cycle and distract from his other legal problems.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I mean that's a ridiculous argument but we're so broken that why not try?

Ah I see they are going after section 230 again. He's such a pathetic peice of shit.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I will say the one thing Trump had that is going to be incredibly difficult for a "new Trump" to crack is the brand recognition. Trump had embedded himself into the American psyche as a successful businessman long before politics, and despite it being a load of nonsense. To create that perfect storm again would require someone already famous for being famous.

The DeSantis's of the world worry me because once in power, they could fuck things up without getting in their own way. However, I'm not at all worried about then inspiring a new cult leader mentality.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

President Kardashian, got it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Octavious wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:05 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:02 pm I think when an idiot like Trump sues YT and Twitter over a rightful ban and he loses then he should have to pay them whatever he was suing them for.
It's a class action suit so he wouldn't be on the hook anyway. He just knows it makes a good headline. Unless you are arguing that they aren't private companies I don't see how he has any kind of case. I've never hated anyone more in my life than that sack of shit.
The link to the "class action" that he gave at the press conference goes to the America First Policy Institute and starts off with a."donate now!" pop up. This is just more grift.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:04 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:26 am
Rand Paul could have a shot as could Paxton or DeSantis. Not sure any is "rich" enough though to carry out the I'm entitled to my arrogant righteous celebrity above you like you DJT does. Of course Palin, didn't have that either and she was the Bellwether. Others tried to follow her example and failed. I think Green might be the next of their kind but I'm not convinced she has the approximation of charisma I don't understand. Of course not being able to understand, she might very well have it.
If Trump runs in 2024 (which I'd put a 60% chance of) then he'll be virtually coronated - there would probably be one token Never Trump candidate who won't crack 1% of the vote, but that's about it.

If Trump doesn't run, then it'll be a more wide open field including probably DeSantis Paxton and Paul. I'd put money on DeSantis but it's not a clear shot. One question is whether it would be possible to beat whoever got Trump's endorsement - like could DeSantis beat Rand Paul if the latter got Trump's endorsement?
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:51 am Third in line of succession :shock:
2nd :shock: :shock:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:42 pm
The link to the "class action" that he gave at the press conference goes to the America First Policy Institute and starts off with a."donate now!" pop up. This is just more grift.
Awesome... Should have guessed. Honestly he will make more money not being president at this point. Just keep on grifting forever.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:55 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:51 am Third in line of succession :shock:
2nd :shock: :shock:
ALSO, through the wisdom of our forebears, anyone who gets nominated to become Vice President after the death of a President or VP has to get confirmed by the House and the Senate. So, suppose Trump becomes Speaker in 2023, and then Biden dies. Harris would become president, and then nominate a new VP. At which point you'd have to get Trump and his caucus to agree to confirm someone to go in front of Trump in the line of succession. Which he would 100% do, of course.

If we were actually trying to fix our system of government one of the things we would be doing is changing that, incidentally.
Last edited by El Guapo on Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:42 pm
It is always more grift.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont feel well.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sigh...what did you eat now?
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lol. Trump taints everything. Its like huffing gold spray paint.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:33 pm Sigh...what did you eat now?
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:51 pm Trump taints
With or without ranch dressing?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I thought that snorting was the preferred method of taint ingestion.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:09 pm
Who is handing those out? Could be some Trump van outlier crazy hanging around. I mean I wouldn't put anything past the faithful but there is no context. The URL (and SLD) goes straight to a PDF that I'm not touching. If it were anyone of consequence they'd probably have a donation page at the SLD.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Also, #1 is like the underpants gnomes' famous ???? line item. What curtain exactly, on which horror show?

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:37 pm Also, #1 is like the underpants gnomes' famous ???? line item. What curtain exactly, on which horror show?
The curtain is in the Comet Ping Pong basement.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah It's not like this was being handed out by Rand Paul. I agree on Point 1 though. It is a real head scratcher. Maybe they'll prove the Democrats are behind All Lives Matter t-shirts?
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm not going to follow the link, but presenting the Democrats as a "horror show" of criminals who will be arrested when the truth comes out is a pretty reliable marker of Qanon fantasy.

It's not that Pelosi and Schiff and AOC are corrupt politicians; it's that they literally torture and murder kidnapped children in order to extract life-extending chemicals from prepubescent corpses.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:55 pm Yeah It's not like this was being handed out by Rand Paul.
Yet
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'd really like to just skip ahead to the part where they all drink poison at the same time and journey on a passing comet to planet MAGA.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:05 pm I'd really like to just skip ahead to the part where they all drink poison at the same time and journey on a passing comet to planet MAGA.
Nike marketing would like to know your location.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

There is so much DERP to unpack in that handout that it's not even woth the effort. But i guarantee there's a "donate" here link somewhere in that pdf.
FTE
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scraper wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:30 am
There is so much DERP to unpack in that handout that it's not even woth the effort. But i guarantee there's a "donate" here link somewhere in that pdf.
I'm not worried about this now - for now this is just another mindless Trump derp-itude.

But I am worried about the Trump as Speaker thing catching on in Trumpworld, as it greatly increases the odds that it happens in 2023. And if it does, we'll inevitably wind up with a Trump-led House pushing an impeachment trial of Biden and Harris in 2023 based on Trump electoral conspiracy theories. Which would set the stage for Trump stealing the presidential election in 2024, and would make Biden and Harris a likely focus of assassination efforts from Trumpist crazies in 2023 and 2024.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It can catch on all it wants in Trump world. But I still truly believe Trump himself will never go for it.
He won. Period.