Brexit

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Brexit

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, avoiding interviews with actual journalists worked well enough for Doug Ford in last year's Ontario provincial election.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I follow British politics, but I think I'm missing some key insights...

Why doesn't Labour boot Corbyn? What's the hold he has on the party? Popularity/wishful thinking among the rank and file?

This election should be theirs in a landslide as Johnson is a buffoon and pretty unpopular... except when compared to Corbyn.

Follow up: Why can't the Lib Dems make any hay out of the two major party candidates being extraordinarily unpopular? Two party mentality like we have here?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:09 pm
El Guapo wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:26 pmMy understanding is that the reason he got elected Labour leader in the first place is that the party had an election process in place that allowed committed activists to wield disproportionate influence. It's not like he needs to face the electorate in order to become Labour leader, it's just that he needs to win over people who are willing to join the party and attend party meetings. I tend to assume that the same reason makes it difficult for the party to eject him as leader.
Yup - they have anti-super delegates in a way. It is like the Bernie Bros took over their party.
It just sucks because if Labour had even a mediocre leader right now willing to listen to what the majority of voters want, I think there would be a pretty decent chance of stopping Brexit and restoring some sanity.
It is an almost anyone else at this point. Their policies aren't even all that unpopular. Corbyn is. Almost solely. The last debate was the UK version of a town hall and it had pretty well informed people basically heckling Johnson and Corbyn about:

*Both their problems with racism
*Johnson's problem with telling the truth
*Russian interference in Brexit (Johnson just literally buried a report about it)
*A bunch of UK wonky issues
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:40 am I follow British politics, but I think I'm missing some key insights...

Why doesn't Labour boot Corbyn? What's the hold he has on the party? Popularity/wishful thinking among the rank and file?

This election should be theirs in a landslide as Johnson is a buffoon and pretty unpopular... except when compared to Corbyn.

Follow up: Why can't the Lib Dems make any hay out of the two major party candidates being extraordinarily unpopular? Two party mentality like we have here?
I wish I knew.

Corbyn is pretty toxic, and he should go. But Johnson is as bad or worse, and completely amoral to boot.

I recently saw surveys that showed UK antisemitism equally distributed across the political spectrum, although Labor looks worse because they're far more willing to criticize Israel (which is not the same thing as antisemitism).
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Brexit to me is like a game whose gold date keeps getting pushed back. It's the Battlecruiser 3000AD of politics. If it ever ships at all, you know it's going to suck.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It leaves me all confused. My beliefs are that the majority of Britians voted to leave the European Union for "reasons".
For some reason they still haven't yet. Something to do with not knowing how I guess. In my ignorance
they seem to be to be enjoying arguing this instead rushing to try and fix it. And it appears some people might have changed their minds.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It doesn't address the Corbyn situation specifically, but I found this infographic pretty helpful-

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inter ... 05507.html
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:22 pm It doesn't address the Corbyn situation specifically, but I found this infographic pretty helpful-

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inter ... 05507.html
As a 'funny' aside - the only person features into the infographic that is widely considered competent to be PM is not in the running to be Prime Minister.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:55 pm Brexit to me is like a game whose gold date keeps getting pushed back. It's the Battlecruiser 3000AD of politics. If it ever ships at all, you know it's going to suck.
"The last thing you'll ever desire."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
U.K. voters are heading to the polls Thursday for a general election to select 650 members of Parliament — and determine the futures of Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn. The election is expected to have high turnout, with key questions about Brexit left to resolve.

Polling stations opened at 7 a.m. local time and were scheduled to close at 10 p.m. (5 p.m. ET). That's when the first projections of the results will likely emerge. So far on election day, the most popular figures at polling stations seem to be dogs.

While politicians stumped for a final push, many voters embraced the hashtag #dogsatpollingstations on Twitter, celebrating the wide range of Labs, collies, retrievers, setters, spaniels and shepherds that got a bit of exercise as their humans exercised their right to vote. Johnson, London Mayor Sadiq Khan and other high-profile voters were photographed taking their dogs to the polls.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

If Labour doesn't boot Corbyn after this showing, they're bigger fools than the folks that trust Johnson.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Prime Minister Boris Johnson appears to have won a large, decisive and potentially powerful majority of parliamentary seats in Thursday's election, according to the exit poll released minutes after the voting ended.

The Conservatives are expected to win 368 seats, according to the national exit poll. The party needs 322 seats to control Parliament — and push through Johnson's Brexit plan.

If the exit poll results hold when actual ballots are tallied, Johnson and his Conservative Party will have achieved a smashing success — the largest win for the Tories since the days of Margaret Thatcher — while the opposition Labour Party and its leader Jeremy Corbyn will have suffered their worst defeat in four decades.

If the numbers hold through the night, Johnson and the Conservatives will assuredly plow forward with Brexit on steroids.

Dreams of a second referendum — of remaining in the European Union — will be dashed. And by January, one of the dominant partners in the long, lucrative, peaceful, postwar order, manifested by Europe’s political and trade bloc, will go off on its own.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Time to start betting on Scottish independence.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'd point and laugh, but I'm an American, so...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I hesitate to ask, but...what exactly is Johnson's Brexit plan (in brief)?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You remember in Blazing Saddles where the new sheriff took himself hostage? Like that, only he’s serious.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur wrote:You remember in Blazing Saddles where the new sheriff took himself hostage? Like that, only he’s serious.
Bravo.

Also, where all the white women at?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:56 pm Time to start betting on Scottish independence.
And Irish reunification. The DUP lost seats symbolically to Sinn Fein. They likely stole seats from DUP leadership as well.

The UK is in for a butt load of hurt over the next few years. Both from internal politics and the reality of willingly exposing themselves to a world that moved on long ago.

Getting the many trade deals they need done at the pace required is nearly impossible. Theyll be forced to prioritize and suffer repeated body blows to sections of their economy. Long term it will be probably become obvious that they were much stronger with the EU.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:35 pm If Labour doesn't boot Corbyn after this showing, they're bigger fools than the folks that trust Johnson.
Fingers crossed.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

One election too late, but still. Also means that (I think) Corbyn plans to stay on as Labour leader for the next few years.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I parse that the same way. It is amazing considering he individually is a large part of why his country will be going through a wringer. It is like they looked at how the the Democrats ran a historically unpopular person against a racist, laughable power hungry fool and said...it cant happen twice...right?

The election results so far indicate that break up is a real possibility. SNP made huge progress stealing seats from both Labour and the Tories. The working class in Labour strongholds went Tory. Sinn Fein stole seats from the Unionists.

Interestingly there is appears to be a huge realignment that in some ways reflects what is happening here in the United States. The working poor are buying into extreme right wing propaganda that is against their interests. It would be fascinating if it wasnt the spread of malign politics that goes against many years of ethical progress.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The Monster Raving Loony Party got 6,432 votes so far in the count.

I know nothing about it, but I assume it's a more sensible party than the top two parties.
malchior

Post by malchior »

And it is pretty much official that Jo Swinson lost her seat. Another incompetent that went down in flames. Her campaign was wretched. To be a bit fair their party pretty much treaded water which is a victory in this election. Still, what the fuck has happened to leadership across the West. Everyone is suddenly terrible all at once.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

At the car dealership getting service. Someone put Fox news on and from what I now understand, this is a great day. Decisive victory for the UK and a further mandate for Trump! A new age for US/Great Britain world rule!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Defiant wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:10 am The Monster Raving Loony Party got 6,432 votes so far in the count.

I know nothing about it, but I assume it's a more sensible party than the top two parties.
Wiki
The Official Monster Raving Loony Party is a political party established in the United Kingdom in 1983 by the musician David Sutch, also known as "Screaming Lord Sutch, 3rd Earl of Harrow", or simply "Lord Sutch". It is notable for its deliberately bizarre policies and it effectively exists to satirise British politics, and to offer itself as an alternative for protest voters, especially in constituencies where the party holding a safe seat is unlikely to lose it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:47 pm
The English do like their irony
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you like Popehat's Lawsplainers, you might like the Brexit 2020 explainer from across the pond.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:30 pm If you like Popehat's Lawsplainers, you might like the Brexit 2020 explainer from across the pond.
That's all still very abstract. What's it going to be like on Feb 1? All those parts for the Mini aren't going to just suddenly stop coming into and out of the country, are they? And if so, who is going to stop them and what basis will they use?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Personnel Today
However, firms might also be anxious about what the future holds and what they should expect come 1 February – the first day of the transition, which runs until 31 December 2020. During this period, the UK is not technically in the EU, but is expected to abide by its rules.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
Daily Express runs story on super-patriotic blue passports that will stick it to the Brussels elite.

One small problem.

Motto behind crest: "Your Mother Was A Hamster"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The New European

After the chancellor signalled that three million of the coins - marking the UK's departure from the EU - would enter into circulation on January 31st, Remain campaigners vowed to take action.

Readers of The New European Facebook page said that they would do what they can to keep the coins out of circulation.

"If and when I get one of these 50 pence coins I shall remove it from circulation, keep it in a drawer, and return them all to a bank on the day the UK rejoins the EU which I predict will not be long," wrote John Perry.
The chancellor plans three million of the coins on Brexit day with a further seven million at a later date.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
Members of the European Parliament have overwhelmingly backed the terms of the UK's departure from the EU.

MEPs ratified the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement by 621 votes to 49 following an emotional debate in Brussels.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So now it's a done deal. I have heard all the negatives, are there any benefits whatsoever?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:32 pm So now it's a done deal. I have heard all the negatives, are there any benefits whatsoever?
There must be for someone, or they wouldn't have voted for it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The next step is for Scotland to quit the UK. This will be quite bad for post-UK politics as the Scots are a left-leaning counterweight to English reactionaries.

England could be Hungary in a generation.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:12 pm The next step is for Scotland to quit the UK. This will be quite bad for post-UK politics as the Scots are a left-leaning counterweight to English reactionaries.

England could be Hungary in a generation.
Without Scotland itll be essentially Manchester/London vs. the countryside. It would be a quick transition to Hungary.