Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Formix

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Formix »

malchior wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:09 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:16 pm It also could be a good long term move. We seem to be slowly backing away from the old NATO alliance and possibly cozying up with the Japanese, India, Australia, and UK to confront China.
I think this might actually turn out to be pretty savvy. My understanding is that without oil, Russia has no real economy, and will pretty quickly be in trouble. It feels like we're near a tipping point where the world has to move away from all fossil fuels pretty quickly, pushing the Chinese ascendancy more to the forefront. I've also begun wondering about the next president, and what Biden thinks his odds are of getting another 4 years. If the calculus is that it won't be him (Kamala, or whoever), then he can make all the unpopular choices and take the hit, leaving someone else the possibility of having 8 years with those decisions as legacy policy.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Except anything unpopular will be blamed on the party (including and especially whoever is running on the D ticket) and not the individual, come election time.

That’s assuming it’s someone other than Biden running obviously.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Wasn't sure where this should go - has anyone read Peril from Bob Woodward? I kind of feel a duty to read it - hoping the library has a copy.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:57 am Wasn't sure where this should go - has anyone read Peril from Bob Woodward? I kind of feel a duty to read it - hoping the library has a copy.
I don't know if I'm going to read it. Woodward's books are in many ways a warning about the perils of access journalism - he'll often just let bad people tell stories that flatter them without much context or pushback.

Black Lives Matter.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:18 am
stessier wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:57 am Wasn't sure where this should go - has anyone read Peril from Bob Woodward? I kind of feel a duty to read it - hoping the library has a copy.
I don't know if I'm going to read it. Woodward's books are in many ways a warning about the perils of access journalism - he'll often just let bad people tell stories that flatter them without much context or pushback.

Woodward is a sellout who absolutely could have saved American lives by reporting on what he knew when he knew, instead he chose to write a book about it after the fact. Fuck him.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I know I've been ill, but I didn't think I'd lost an entire week.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I left my neighborhood for the first time in a while and saw a billboard that just...

"Stop giving Illegals our money

Don Huffines for governor
- a real Republican"

Yeah, because Abbott is just too centrist!

Huffines other big plank is eliminating property taxes.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I saw this video from India where some protestor decided to run at police waving a large stick around and the police gunned him down. After shooting him they ran over to him and started kicking and beating his body. This photographer got caught up in it all and ran over and started kicking and beating the dead body too.
Quite a disturbing video.
This has caught major news now and I was thinking...............as bad as these cops were (not to mention the photographer) what was this protestor thinking? "I'm going to run at those armed police and wave my stick around and pretend like I'm going to beat them. Yes, this will work out great!"
I see this kind of stupidity all the time in the news. The protestors can get away with it here in the West but those countries in the East and Africa don't put up with that kind of thing too well.
They might as well be wearing signs that say "Please shoot me. I'm stupid." And they do.
By the way the photographer was arrested later on. Not at the time tho.
Anyrate, my thoughts for this morning.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I like Israeli tactic of using 22lr rounds to snipe at the legs of potentially violent protestors.

Well, I don't "like" it exactly but see it as being extremely effective with less likelihood of death.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:01 am I saw this video from India where some protestor decided to run at police waving a large stick around and the police gunned him down. After shooting him they ran over to him and started kicking and beating his body. This photographer got caught up in it all and ran over and started kicking and beating the dead body too.
Quite a disturbing video.
This has caught major news now and I was thinking...............as bad as these cops were (not to mention the photographer) what was this protestor thinking? "I'm going to run at those armed police and wave my stick around and pretend like I'm going to beat them. Yes, this will work out great!"
I see this kind of stupidity all the time in the news. The protestors can get away with it here in the West but those countries in the East and Africa don't put up with that kind of thing too well.
They might as well be wearing signs that say "Please shoot me. I'm stupid." And they do.
By the way the photographer was arrested later on. Not at the time tho.
Anyrate, my thoughts for this morning.
When a scene gets chaotic enough, some people stop acting rationally. If you asked the protester the day before whether he planned to assault armed cops, he probably would have said no.

Maybe he'd just seen his brother or his father beaten or shot by cops. Then there are the passions involved when the conflict has some sort of ethnic or religious element.

The Western style of letting protestors "get away with it" is vastly preferable.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

This is fascinating to me - such an enormous swing. Is it just that Trump appealed to their 'whiteness' so much more directly than Romney or other prior Republicans? It's not like the GOP of 2012 was that much different in terms of policies.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:00 am

This is fascinating to me - such an enormous swing. Is it just that Trump appealed to their 'whiteness' so much more directly than Romney or other prior Republicans? It's not like the GOP of 2012 was that much different in terms of policies.
2020 wasn't about policies.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:00 am

This seems like more of an indicator of how much they disliked Romney.

As soon as Trump came along with his faux-macho, faux-rich, faux-everyman act, they immediately jumped on board. Romney was completely unable to tap into that.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I've always thought Romney was SUPER "faux" - but generally, not in the Trump-specific ways you listed.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:10 pm
As soon as Trump came along with his faux-macho, faux-rich, faux-everyman act, they immediately jumped on board. Romney was completely unable to tap into that.
It makes me think the only material differences are Trump: (1) being more explicitly racist / pro-white; and (2) Trump not speaking as well as Romney.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:10 pm This seems like more of an indicator of how much they disliked Romney.

I didn't see that. I just saw him appealing to angry white, we're losing our culture and our nation to otherness. Romney didn't try and McCain actively discouraged this. McCain (and Palin and the Tea Party) was the real clue to the rise of Trumpism. One that I could hear coming like a train but completely underestimated how big and strong it was.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:30 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:10 pm This seems like more of an indicator of how much they disliked Romney.

I didn't see that. I just saw him appealing to angry white, we're losing our culture and our nation to otherness. Romney didn't try and McCain actively discouraged this. McCain (and Palin and the Tea Party) was the real clue to the rise of Trumpism. One that I could hear coming like a train but completely underestimated how big and strong it was.
McCain? How so?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:34 pm McCain? How so?
He had multiple large televised appearances where hateful WASPish rants were spouted and he'd stop and try to discourage seeing otherness in Americans. He actively stated many time the he Obama both loved the US but just had different visions towards what makes the US great and what steering to success looked like.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:40 pm
He had multiple large televised appearances where hateful WASPish rants were spouted and he'd stop and try to discourage seeing otherness in Americans. He actively stated many time the he Obama both loved the US but just had different visions towards what makes the US great and what steering to success looked like.
Oh, that's what confused me. When you mentioned McCain being the clue, I guess I read that as "partly to blame" as opposed to his actively trying to shush the nastier elements that showed up to his rallies (which is how I was thinking of him in this particular context).
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:44 pm
LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:40 pm
Oh, that's what confused me. When you mentioned McCain being the clue, I guess I read that as "partly to blame" as opposed to his actively trying to shush the nastier elements that showed up to his rallies (which is how I was thinking of him in this particular context).
One thing McCain *did* do, for which he does get blame, is putting Palin on the ballot.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Defiant wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:58 pm One thing McCain *did* do, for which he does get blame, is putting Palin on the ballot.
I'm no fan of McCain but that's doesn't mean he didn't do some things not only right but very well.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior

Post by malchior »

The AT&T mask reveal scene earlier today was pretty insane.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:43 pm The AT&T mask reveal scene earlier today was pretty insane.
??
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:29 am
malchior wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:43 pm The AT&T mask reveal scene earlier today was pretty insane.
??
I'da been the same thing but look here

http://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewt ... 9#p2853059

I'm waiting for more details but eyebrows are raised.
malchior

Post by malchior »

<Double post>
Last edited by malchior on Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

That is indeed what I am referencing. It came out in a Reuters piece that AT&T pushed for the creation of OAN and 90% of its revenue came from AT&T cable revenues. Not that it is totally a big surprise but we're really seeing that the assault on our democracy is deep-pocketed and more mainstream than we might have believed. They recoiled from 1/6 but maybe only because it failed.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Cross-posting from the other thread:

I have a feeling my thoughts on this will be disregarded as blindly supporting my employer, but I urge folks to take a close look at what is claimed in the article. "Proof" is largely disputed statements made in court cases. I mean, maybe now is the time to start believing what OAN is saying, but it might make sense to give this some time to see whether there is any substance to these allegations.

And with that, I will gracefully back out and allow the bashing to proceed.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:57 am Cross-posting from the other thread:

I have a feeling my thoughts on this will be disregarded as blindly supporting my employer,
You are correct, sir.
And I write that neutrally, with no snark or inference of being negative OR positive.

Edit: I wouldn't put it as harshly as you did. I am actually very interested in hearing what your take is on it, given your unique position. But from my personal perspective, you do also have a particular "burden" to overcome if that makes sense. Your thoughts (again, for ME) are welcome, but will be 'judged' and read with more scrutiny than normal for obvious reasons. It doesn't help that you seem to have a love affair with your employer IIRC from previous posts. :P (and NOTHING wrong with that, what you do in private is your OWN BUSINESS!!)

Also, do we not have a "poke" emoji for Clem Fandango's sake?!?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

That's all fair. For what it's worth, I certainly don't agree with everything AT&T does or positions we take. For a variety of reasons, when I'm in that position I usually just don't comment on it. (Note that this doesn't mean I disagree with AT&T on any related topic where I don't post - sometimes I'm just not interested in contributing.) I don't know where this particular issue is going to end up, and there may be a time where I follow through with my threats not to discuss it anymore, but at this point it seems to me that some folks are jumping to worst case scenario judgments when the case against AT&T has some rather large (IMO) holes and not all facts are out. That said, I would expect people to view my comments with the knowledge that I work for AT&T and am likely to have bias, both conscious and unconscious.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:26 am Also, do we not have a "poke" emoji for Clem Fandango's sake?!?
Page 9

:teasing-poke:
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:42 am That's all fair. For what it's worth, I certainly don't agree with everything AT&T does or positions we take. For a variety of reasons, when I'm in that position I usually just don't comment on it. (Note that this doesn't mean I disagree with AT&T on any related topic where I don't post - sometimes I'm just not interested in contributing.) I don't know where this particular issue is going to end up, and there may be a time where I follow through with my threats not to discuss it anymore, but at this point it seems to me that some folks are jumping to worst case scenario judgments when the case against AT&T has some rather large (IMO) holes and not all facts are out. That said, I would expect people to view my comments with the knowledge that I work for AT&T and am likely to have bias, both conscious and unconscious.
People are jumping to worst case conclusions in 2021 without all the facts? I'm shocked. Shocked I say!
Hodor.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:44 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:26 am Also, do we not have a "poke" emoji for Clem Fandango's sake?!?
Page 9

:teasing-poke:
DAMMIT. Too late now.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Since Columbus Day is a political hill to die on now, I found this really good:

some people have been celebrating christopher columbus day all year by spreading disease
The minor league baseball stadium in my corner on NJ dedicated a Christopher Columbus statue over the weekend, because apparently rural NJ was in some way influenced by the travels and exploits of Christopher Columbus - so much so that he needed a statue, the very same statue that was removed from Newark in 2020. Also, the ball team now plays on Columbus Field.

I actually feel gross just typing all that.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

I can hear the dog whistle all the way down here in central NJ.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm assuming Blue Lives Matter flags will be going up near the statue before year's end and after the election, I'm fully expecting the overall tone to get much, much worse as we head into 2022.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:58 pm I'm assuming Blue Lives Matter flags will be going up near the statue before year's end and after the election, I'm fully expecting the overall tone to get much, much worse as we head into 2022.
My new temporary neighbor living in their subsidized rental (taken advantage of by a slum lord) both has a huge blue line american flag sticker across the back of their truck and grows pot plants in 20 gallon buckets so the can port them indoors and out... Until two years ago that would have been very much illegal, short of having dispensary license (which also has only been legal less than a decade)

The dissonance that must be happening in that household actually makes me double check to lock my doors, even when I'm at home. Just seeing their advertised living circumstance suggests to me they quick to violence gun toters with no respect personal property unless it's their own.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just watched a commercial on TV to help feed elderly Jews in Israel and Russia.
And I couldn't but wonder why not the Palestinians? I bet there are a hell of a lot more of them in dire straights.
Not that the elderly Jews don't need help too.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949