The Global Warming Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: The Global Warming Thread

Post by Paingod »

When your entire business is about exploiting the past it stands to reason you'd be afraid of the future.

I seriously don't get the Greta hate. I mean, I get that they're idiots, but hating her is hating every angry kid right now who's watching their future get dimmer and dimmer. She's just a lightning rod. She's not the cause. They're the cause.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Get like understand or get like empathize?

She is a face of someone, who isn't an expert on the subject but who refers to the expert. She is the face of all of us accepting all of these experts. The face of outrage that called them out of their comfort zone. The face of generation landslide. She is something tangible that activists have rallied behind... So she is the face of enmity (IMO to keep from facing themselves or questioning those they get in line behind).

No, wait you get it
hating her is hating every angry kid right now who's watching their future get dimmer and dimmer. She's just a lightning rod.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kinda related, what?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qjde ... -recycling
“America’s beverage companies are already taking action to address the issue by reducing our use of new plastic, investing to increase the collection of our bottles so they can be remade into new bottles as intended, and collaborating with legislators and third-party experts to achieve meaningful policy resolutions,” a spokesperson for the American Beverage Association, which represents Coke, Pepsi, and others in the non-alcoholic beverage industry, said in a statement sent to the Guardian and Bloomberg Environment.
Wait, so we've been paying $.10 to get $.10 to recycle plastics that aren't even being collected to be recycled in to new bottles for 30+ years?

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

silverjon wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:17 pm
Kraken wrote:Endorsing that new oil pipeline was another big slap at environmentalists.
The whole idea of Keystone XL being in the news now weirds me out. TransCanada has been working on getting their licensing in place since at least 2008, so it's fait accompli in my frame of reference.
AP News
A U.S. judge canceled a key permit Wednesday for the Keystone XL oil pipeline that’s expected to stretch from Canada to Nebraska, another setback for the disputed project that got underway less than two weeks ago following years of delays.

Judge Brian Morris said the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers failed to adequately consider effects on endangered species such as pallid sturgeon, a massive, dinosaur-like fish that lives in rivers the pipeline would cross.

The ruling, however, does not shut down work that has begun at the U.S.-Canada border crossing in Montana, according to attorneys in the case. Pipeline sponsor TC Energy will need the permit for future construction across hundreds of rivers and streams along Keystone’s 1,200-mile (1,930-kilometer) route.

“It creates another significant hurdle for the project,” said Anthony Swift with the Natural Resources Defense Council, one of the groups that challenged the permit.

“Regardless of whether they have the cross border segment ... Keystone XL has basically lost all of its Clean Water Act permits for water crossings,” he said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Nice post necro. I hope silverjon is well, wherever she is.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Kraken wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:28 pm Nice post necro. I hope silverjon is well, wherever she is.
Viewing profile - silverjon
User statistics
Last active:Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:04 am
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

:shock: Silver, why so shy? I am glad that you're reading, at least, but I miss your voice.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kraken wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:01 am :shock: Silver, why so shy? I am glad that you're reading, at least, but I miss your voice.
Ditto.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:13 pmWait, so we've been paying $.10 to get $.10 to recycle plastics that aren't even being collected to be recycled in to new bottles for 30+ years?
I know it's a little aged, but if you scratch the surface of a lot of recycling plans, a fair number are just "Feel Good" scams. People paying to feel good about what they're doing and little else; the waste ends up in landfills all the same. I dug into our battery recycling program a couple years ago and found that we were basically paying $40 to ship spent batteries to a warehouse in another state and they disposed of them there. I let the office managers know, and they actually kept paying the $40 so the employees could keep feeling like they were doing something positive.
Black Lives Matter

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Remember when global warming was the biggest crisis we faced? Those were the good old days. With the world economy idling and the air cleaner than in living memory, we've naturally taken our eyes off of this ball. Except for scientists, who keep sciencing doggedly on. Now they've proved that global warming is making hurricanes stronger.
The big question during the past two decades of hurricane research has been whether there is already a detectable trend toward stronger storms, or whether this will emerge in the future, said Suzana Camargo, a climate scientist at Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory.

The new study answers that question by showing there is already a significant detectable trend, she said in an interview. Camargo was not associated with the new research.

Kerry Emanuel, a hurricane expert at MIT, said researchers determined that “there’s a robust global increase in the proportion of tropical cyclones that get to a high intensity.” Emanuel was not involved in the new study, but his research has shown that global warming is likely to increase what’s known as a storm’s “maximum potential intensity,” or how powerful it could get based on its surrounding environment.
We non-scientists might file this one under "Well, duh", but it's always nice to have our observations confirmed.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Some positive news:

BIG NEWS: @GovMurphy and I are proud to announce that New Jersey is the FIRST STATE IN THE NATION to incorporate climate change education across our K-12 learning standards – preparing our students for the future green economy.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kraken wrote:Remember when global warming was the biggest crisis we faced?
Global warming is the biggest crises we face.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lose one nation's democracy < Lose a quarter of the world's population < collapse of society
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I should acquire a V8 Interceptor before they're all sold out.
Black Lives Matter

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

FEMA maps may not be good enough:
Millions more U.S. homes are in danger of flooding than federal emergency planners have previously warned, and the threat to those trillions of dollars of properties is rising because of climate change, according to a new analysis.

The data from nonprofit research group First Street Foundation provides detailed property-level flood risk information for the public at a time when the private sector is taking steps to prepare for the damage from floods, storms and other climate-driven disasters, in the absence of aggressive action from the federal government.
Here's the click through link which shows by zip code.. Good info for those looking to buy or sell...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Beachfront property, here I come!

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I thought they made it a speech crime to talk about that.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:15 pm Beachfront property, here I come!

Hello Lex Luthor!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:20 pm I thought they made it a speech crime to talk about that.
Thoughtcrime.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:26 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:20 pm I thought they made it a speech crime to talk about that.
Thoughtcrime.
The new term is "Inner city waterfront enhancement"

"My home was moved to accommodate for inner city waterfront enhancement"
Black Lives Matter

Holman

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:05 pm FEMA maps may not be good enough:
Millions more U.S. homes are in danger of flooding than federal emergency planners have previously warned, and the threat to those trillions of dollars of properties is rising because of climate change, according to a new analysis.

The data from nonprofit research group First Street Foundation provides detailed property-level flood risk information for the public at a time when the private sector is taking steps to prepare for the damage from floods, storms and other climate-driven disasters, in the absence of aggressive action from the federal government.
Here's the click through link which shows by zip code.. Good info for those looking to buy or sell...
That's a good map due to Google's excellent geo-data collection.

I live on top of a ridge between two water valleys, and the tool correctly indicates that my house will be safe from any flooding risk even as houses just a few hundred yards downslope are inundated.

Of course, if those houses are flooding then most of the city (including the economic core of downtown) has become a wasteland, so my altitude really means nothing.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:05 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:05 pm FEMA maps may not be good enough:

That's a good map due to Google's excellent geo-data collection.

I live on top of a ridge between two water valleys, and the tool correctly indicates that my house will be safe from any flooding risk even as houses just a few hundred yards downslope are inundated.

Of course, if those houses are flooding then most of the city (including the economic core of downtown) has become a wasteland, so my altitude really means nothing.
Plus roads in and out.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Time to get that lifted pickup.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
In Atlanta on Wednesday, President Trump will announce big changes to the regulations that govern one of the nation's most significant environmental laws. The aim is to speed up approval for major projects like pipelines and highways, but critics say it could sideline the concerns of poor and minority communities impacted by those projects, and discount their impact on climate change.

The 50-year-old National Environmental Policy Act, or NEPA, was signed into law by President Richard Nixon. It requires federal agencies to consider the environmental effects of proposed projects before they are approved. It also gives the public and interest groups the ability to comment on those evaluations.

The administration's new regulations are expected to reduce the types and number of projects that will be subject to review under the NEPA. An earlier version of the proposed rules truncated those reviews in an effort to streamline processes that can take years to complete. It also dropped a requirement that agencies consider the cumulative environmental effects of projects, such as their contribution to climate change.

The changes weaken a law that's played a major role in limiting the Trump administration's agenda of "energy dominance." In just the last week, environmental reviews have sidelined a series of controversial oil and gas pipeline projects, including the Keystone XL, the Dakota Access and the Atlantic Coast pipelines.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unless he gets a second term, there won't be any projects with enough time to really take advantage of that.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:47 pm NPR
In Atlanta on Wednesday, President Trump will announce big changes to the regulations that govern one of the nation's most significant environmental laws. The aim is to speed up approval for major projects like pipelines and highways, but critics say it could sideline the concerns of poor and minority communities impacted by those projects, and discount their impact on climate change.

The 50-year-old National Environmental Policy Act, or NEPA, was signed into law by President Richard Nixon. It requires federal agencies to consider the environmental effects of proposed projects before they are approved. It also gives the public and interest groups the ability to comment on those evaluations.

The administration's new regulations are expected to reduce the types and number of projects that will be subject to review under the NEPA. An earlier version of the proposed rules truncated those reviews in an effort to streamline processes that can take years to complete. It also dropped a requirement that agencies consider the cumulative environmental effects of projects, such as their contribution to climate change.

The changes weaken a law that's played a major role in limiting the Trump administration's agenda of "energy dominance." In just the last week, environmental reviews have sidelined a series of controversial oil and gas pipeline projects, including the Keystone XL, the Dakota Access and the Atlantic Coast pipelines.
Does this have anything to do with ad I heard for Enbridge this morning out of nowhere assuring me that a coming pipleline is safe, as if I have any say in the matter, or knew what they were doing before I heard that ad today?

Edit: Nope apparently it is this

https://www.enbridge.com/Line5
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:15 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:47 pm NPR

Does this have anything to do with ad I heard for Enbridge this morning out of nowhere assuring me that a coming pipleline is safe, as if I have any say in the matter, or knew what they were doing before I heard that ad today?

Edit: Nope apparently it is this

https://www.enbridge.com/Line5
How far under that rock are you living to have not heard that ad. I feel like it is playing 24/7 at any given time you can find at least 2 stations playing it.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:56 pm How far under that rock are you living to have not heard that ad. I feel like it is playing 24/7 at any given time you can find at least 2 stations playing it.
Since March?, Um, is there a bottom?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Remember when global warming was our most urgent crisis? Good times. 'Canary in the coal mine': Greenland ice has shrunk beyond return, study finds
Scientists studied data on 234 glaciers across the Arctic territory spanning 34 years through 2018 and found that annual snowfall was no longer enough to replenish glaciers of the snow and ice being lost to summertime melting.

That melting is already causing global seas to rise about a millimeter on average per year. If all of Greenland’s ice goes, the water released would push sea levels up by an average of 6 meters — enough to swamp many coastal cities around the world. This process, however, would take decades.

“Greenland is going to be the canary in the coal mine, and the canary is already pretty much dead at this point,” said glaciologist Ian Howat at Ohio State University. He and his colleagues published the study Thursday in the Nature Communications Earth & Environment journal.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

ECCC Canadian Ice Service wrote:Satellite animation, from July 30 to August 4, shows the collapse of the last fully intact #iceshelf in #Canada. The Milne Ice Shelf, located on #EllesmereIsland in #Nunavut, has now reduced in area by ~43%.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Break out the water wings.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

2020 keeps on giving.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:48 pm 2020 keeps on giving.
Side note: 100,000 acres of Colorado are on fire. Due to drought. No rain till midweek at best.

Cool, cool, cool...
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

'Hottest temperature on Earth' as Death Valley, US hits 54.4C
What could be the highest temperature ever reliably recorded on Earth - 130F (54.4C) - may have been reached in Death Valley National Park, California.

The recording is being verified by the US National Weather Service.

It comes amid a heatwave on the US's west coast, where temperatures are forecast to rise further this week.

The scorching conditions have led to two days of blackouts in California, after a power plant malfunctioned on Saturday.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:51 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:48 pm 2020 keeps on giving.
Side note: 100,000 acres of Colorado are on fire. Due to drought. No rain till midweek at best.

Cool, cool, cool...
Sometimes living in a place that's all brick and concrete doesn't feel too bad.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Science Alert
In their study, published Thursday in the journal Nature, the scientists reviewed 40 years of monthly satellite data from more than 200 large glaciers that are draining into the ocean across Greenland.

"What we've found is that the ice that's discharging into the ocean is far surpassing the snow that's accumulating on the surface of the ice sheet," Michalea King, the study's lead author and researcher at Ohio State University's Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center, said in a press release.

Complete melting of the Greenland ice sheet could raise sea levels 23 feet (~7 metres) by the year 3000.

If that happens, the ocean would swallow coastal cities across the globe.

Greenland's ice is already the world's largest single contributor to sea-level rise. In just the next 80 years, its current melt rate would add another 2.75 inches (6.9 cm) to global sea levels, according to a study published in December.
The amount of ice Greenland loses each year has steadily increased in the last two decades. Before 2000, the researchers found, the ice sheet had an equal chance of gaining or losing mass each year.

But in the climate of the last 20 years, it will only gain mass one in every 100 years, the researchers found.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:04 pm Science Alert
Complete melting of the Greenland ice sheet could raise sea levels 23 feet (~7 metres) by the year 3000.

I'm as depressed and anxious about climate change as anyone, but geographical changes on a millennium scale don't matter when the social and economic disasters are due within decades.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Greenland's ice is already the world's largest single contributor to sea-level rise. In just the next 80 years, its current melt rate would add another 2.75 inches (6.9 cm) to global sea levels, according to a study published in December.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Holman wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:12 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:04 pm Science Alert

I'm as depressed and anxious about climate change as anyone, but geographical changes on a millennium scale don't matter when the social and economic disasters are due within decades.
Yeah. It's great to have that info and all, but in context it's largely irrelevant, as we won't make it anywhere near the year 3,000 as civilization currently stands without a whole lot of change.

It's kind of like if they included in the article that eventually the sun will swallow the Earth on its way to playing out the heat death of the universe. Cool, cool, cool. But not especially relevant.