The Rand Paul sideshow

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: The Rand Paul sideshow

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote:The Detroit Republican?

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/p ... /30459045/

I really wish I could like him. He talks such a good game.
In another version of the photo posted Tuesday, Paul is wearing safety goggles and holding a chainsaw while standing in front of the piles of paper, and next to a wood chipper with paper in it.

“Wood chipper? Chainsaw? Fire? You decide,” Paul posted with the image, referring to how best to destroy the tax code.
How is a chainsaw a reasonable choice for destroying lots of paper? Like, doing this is apparently a central motivation for his presidential run, and he can't come up with a decent third option for destroying a lot of paper?
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote:How is a chainsaw a reasonable choice for destroying lots of paper? Like, doing this is apparently a central motivation for his presidential run, and he can't come up with a decent third option for destroying a lot of paper?
That's what they used in the Sprint commercials.
Zarathud

The Rand Paul sideshow

Post by Zarathud »

All 3 options are suitable due to the likely collateral damage during the destruction. I have the Tax Code and Regulations on one half of the shelf in my office hutch. Only a grandstanding idiot would use anything more extreme than a paper shredder.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote:
El Guapo wrote:How is a chainsaw a reasonable choice for destroying lots of paper? Like, doing this is apparently a central motivation for his presidential run, and he can't come up with a decent third option for destroying a lot of paper?
That's what they used in the Sprint commercials.
I'll have to have a talk with them too, then. While I have never personally attempted to destroy huge stacks of paper with a chainsaw, I have to imagine that the stacks will keep falling over and the paper will scatter while you're attempting to chainsaw each stack, such that you would need to keep re-stacking the paper. On top of that after cutting through each stack you'd then be left with big stacks cut into two pieces, which isn't really 'destroyed' (it would be pretty simple for anyone to re-assemble by taping the paper back together), so you'd need to take the chainsaw to each stack multiple times (and the scattering problem would get worse each time).

If this is the kind of efficiency he brings to public policy matters, I'm afraid I cannot vote for him.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zarathud wrote:All 3 options are suitable due to the likely collateral damage during the destruction. I have the Tax Code and Regulations on one half of the shelf in my office hutch. Only a grandstanding idiot would use anything more extreme than a paper shredder.
I assume that you mean "unsuitable"
Black Lives Matter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Zarathud wrote:All 3 options are suitable due to the likely collateral damage during the destruction. I have the Tax Code and Regulations on one half of the shelf in my office hutch. Only a grandstanding idiot would use anything more extreme than a paper shredder.
Why use a plain old shredder if you can use a disintegrator?

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

No...pun intended. Commence the GOP tax train wreck! Gov. Perry is putting together a tax cut plan with the advice of the discredited Laffer!!

Add faith and pixie dust, and you too can assume economic growth instead of recession and out of control deficits! Plus, the market will provide everyone with flying unicorns that shoot "traditional marriage" rainbows out of their asses.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sweet. What is the magic "perfect tax rate" anyway?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The GOP has only one mantra -- lower -- despite the large body of empirical evidence disproving the Laffer curve and showing that current effective tax rates are near historic lows since the Bush administration. Even if you don't believe the academics, the recent fiscal disasters of New Jersey, Texas AND Wisconsin should be sufficient to show the lie of supply-side economics tax cuts.

But everyone loves a politician who promises to give them something for nothing.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zarathud wrote:The GOP has only one mantra -- lower -- despite the large body of empirical evidence disproving the Laffer curve and showing that current effective tax rates are near historic lows since the Bush administration. Even if you don't believe the academics, the recent fiscal disasters of New Jersey, Texas AND Wisconsin should be sufficient to show the lie of supply-side economics tax cuts.

But everyone loves a politician who promises to give them something for nothing.
How can you put together a list of supply-side budget disasters without including Kansas? It's like omitting the Beatles from a list of classic rock bands.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zarathud wrote:No...pun intended. Commence the GOP tax train wreck! Gov. Perry is putting together a tax cut plan with the advice of the discredited Laffer!!

Add faith and pixie dust, and you too can assume economic growth instead of recession and out of control deficits! Plus, the market will provide everyone with flying unicorns that shoot "traditional marriage" rainbows out of their asses.
Oooh, I have a traditional marriage. How soon until I can get one of those delicious unicorns? If I can grill that sucker Labor Day weekend, it would save the cost of a pig roast and that would be just as good as a tax cut!
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

GreenGoo wrote:Sweet. What is the magic "perfect tax rate" anyway?
Zero, and no damned federal government, either.

Theoretically, Republicans want government limited to its Constitutional mandates, so taxes would basically be only high enough to pay for a home-defense-sized military. Realistically, they want a rule-the-world military and subsidies for their corporate constituents (I mean, "the job creators")...without actually paying for it.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

A chicken in every corporate pot. Them corporations are HUNGRY people, my friends. :roll:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Politicians aren't cheap to "speak" to, after all.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Inside Rand Paul's downward spiral
Interviews with more than a dozen sources close to the Kentucky senator, all of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity, painted a picture of an underfunded and understaffed campaign beaten down by low morale.

They described an operation that pitted a cerebral chief strategist against an intense campaign manager who once got into a physical altercation with the candidate’s bodyguard. And they portrayed an undisciplined politician who wasn’t willing to do what it took to win — a man who obsessed over trivial matters like flight times, peppered aides with demands for more time off from campaigning and once chose to go on a spring-break jaunt rather than woo a powerful donor.

They sketched a portrait of a candidate who, as he fell further behind in polls, no longer seemed able to break through. Paul, lionized as “the most interesting man in politics” in a Time magazine cover story last year, was supposed to reinvent the Republican Party with his message of free-market libertarianism, his vision of a restrained foreign policy and his outreach to minorities.

Instead, he has been overshadowed by louder voices like Donald Trump’s and better-funded figures like Jeb Bush. His theory of the 2016 primary — that Republican voters would reward a candidate who promised fresh ideas and an unconventional approach — has not been borne out in reality.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The shock of the primary season, Ron endorses Rand!
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Rand is willing to pay KY $500,000 to move the state primary:
Under Kentucky law, a candidate cannot appear on the same ballot for two offices, and if Kentucky's Republican Party holds its primary in May, as planned, Paul would have to give up either his bid for the White House or his bid to retain his Senate seat. The dilemma gets even thornier, because if Paul chooses to give up his Senate bid but doesn't give the Kentucky GOP time to recruit an alternative candidate, it could cost the GOP a sure Senate seat.

In a letter to the state party earlier this month, Paul laid out his pitch in simple terms: He wants the date of the vote moved up, and he's offering a pile of money to do it. Specifically, Paul promised his campaign would foot the estimated bill of $450,000 to $500,000, starting with an immediate payment, even though the money wasn't immediately needed.
It's not every day you can literally see someone trying to buy an election, so that's pretty cool.
This plan does appear to be legal. A primary or caucus is organized by the party itself, and the party is free to choose its candidate however it wants, legal experts say.
I wouldn't expect anything else. Legal? Absolutely. But let's make sure everyone knows exactly what's going on here.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Rand's campaign released an app that lets you "take a selfie with Rand" - with predictable results

My favorite so far

:lol:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Too bad they only let you pose with a cardboard cutout.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Exodor wrote:Rand's campaign released an app that lets you "take a selfie with Rand" - with predictable results

My favorite so far

:lol:
Wow, what a dumb idea.

Dumb for him. Hilarious for us.

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Can we please get a Tom Brady courtroom sketch.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Is Paul next after Perry and Walker?

One of three SuperPACs supporting him has stopped raising money for him, calling his campaign "futile."

Apparently he is neither Establishment nor Outsider enough for this year's contest.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I almost asked in the 2016 thread whether it would be a Senator or Governor that would be the next to exit. We've had two governors drop already.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote:Is Paul next after Perry and Walker?

One of three SuperPACs supporting him has stopped raising money for him, calling his campaign "futile."

Apparently he is neither Establishment nor Outsider enough for this year's contest.
Beyond that, accounts thus far indicate that Paul is terrible at running and executing a presidential campaign.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The proof is in the pudding. I don't think Rand has done much more than simply show up at things so far in this race. He's like Teller to Trump's Penn.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I will say as a democrat that I'm relatively pleased with the course of the GOP primary thus far, as I was most worried going in about Walker and Paul since they both had a mix of potential to draw in non-trivial numbers of democratic and independent voters alongside substantive policy radicalism. But Walker's out and Paul probably will be before too long.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm going to apologize for this in advance, but...

A Paul-Walker ticket would race to the front, and then crash and burn.

I'm going to join my conference call now, and try to forget that this statement came out of my brain. :oops:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Rand Paul and the Fizzling of America’s Libertarian Moment
What the Paul campaign has inherited, then, is an unusually heavy task: to dispel the whole atmosphere of unreality that surrounds libertarianism. No one really knows what libertarianism might look like in government, what coalitions and commitments it will most obey. The movement has built no Utah. How would the promise of hands-off policing be reconciled with the fact of violence? How would libertarians address economic imbalances when they were forced to take a more complex position than to say that inequality is due to “some people working harder than others,” as Paul did in August? The great case for libertarianism a year ago was that an awful lot of young people seemed to share its preferences: for individual liberty in all realms. But that can seem less like a promise that the movement will win the future than a mark of its immaturity. Libertarianism still functions mainly as a critique. The specific immensity of Rand Paul’s task isn’t just trying to reconcile the ideologues with the mainstream, as the Times had it. It is convincing the rest of us that the libertarian project is real, when it has never really been tried.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Is Rand Paul still Running for President?
Way to embrace the technology Mr. Paul. :lol:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Looks like he is speaking to an empty room as he "calls on Congress to Do Its Job by Supporting His AUMF Amendment"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Assaulted
GOP Sen. Rand Paul was assaulted in his home in Bowling Green, Kentucky, on Friday, according to Kentucky State Police.

State troopers responded to a call to the senator's residence at 3:21 p.m. Friday. Police arrested a man named Rene Albert Boucher, who they allege "intentionally assaulted" Paul, causing him "minor injury."

Boucher, 59, of Bowling Green was charged with one count of fourth-degree assault. As of Saturday afternoon, he was being held in the Warren County Regional Jail on a $5,000 bond.

Police were not immediately clear on why Boucher allegedly assaulted Paul. The investigation is still ongoing, police spokesman Jeremy Hodges told CNN.
I know rip's a transplant to the bayou, so it's not him.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WKDZ
A Bowling Green physician is charged with assaulting United States Senator Rand Paul Friday at the Senator's Bowling Green home. According to Kentucky State Police, 59 year-old Rene Albert Boucher was arrested around 3:20 Friday afternoon and charged with Assault 4th degree.

State Police say Boucher, who is an Anesthesiologist, allegedly assaulted Senator Paul at his home. An arrest warrant was obtained and Boucher was arrested and lodged in the Warren County Jail by Trooper Bartley Weaver.
He does pain management.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I guess he wasn't all that into his Hippocratic Oath?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

So the attacker was his next door neighbor. I didn't realize the rich and connected even had neighbors. Wonder what he did to piss the guy off so much.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Freyland wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:48 pm So the attacker was his next door neighbor. I didn't realize the rich and connected even had neighbors. Wonder what he did to piss the guy off so much.
Borrowed his lawnmower and didn't return it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:04 pm
Freyland wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:48 pm So the attacker was his next door neighbor. I didn't realize the rich and connected even had neighbors. Wonder what he did to piss the guy off so much.
Borrowed his lawnmower and didn't return it.
Sorry, the Bernie Sanders thread is a couple pages back.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

There has to be a deeper story here. This was his neighbor, not a random attack. Schtuping the wife? Dog pooping on his lawn?
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

At this point if I'm Rand Paul I am constantly carrying a small hand gun. The guy has been attacked twice this year.
FTE