Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:54 am Wait, did we just trick the right into at least paying lip service to critical thinking skills in school?
I wish. My assumption is the whole thing is coded racism so that probably lines up with some radical right line item in the weeds.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Indoctrination (n): The process of exposing a person or group to a set of beliefs that do not align with a white, heterosexual Protestant view of society.

It gets so tiresome watching the GOP rail against all the things that they themselves are guilty of.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, remember Texas:
t's official: The Republican Party of Texas opposes critical thinking. That's right, drones, and it's part of their official platform.

One of our eagle-eyed readers emailed us to point out this unbelievable passage in the RPT 2012 platform, as adopted at their recent statewide conference.

"Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeebus, if you read through the list of things the Texas GOP opposes they mention in that link, you realize that Texas is essentially f&$#ed and should probably just declare itself under a GOP version of Sharia Law.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Right-wing-inclined teachers know that the state will have their back when they institute their own ideological slant into the classroom. Leftier teachers know they'll be hung out to dry. Huge chilling effect on education.

I give it less than a decade before states legalize something like "non-divisive religious expression" in the curriculum. It will be very clear which religions count as divisive.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Holman

Post by Holman »

MTG is 47 years old. When she was growing up in the 80s and 90s, serious culture reminders of the Holocaust were everywhere: from teaching Anne Frank to multiple top-tier TV miniseries to numerous major movies culminating in Schindler's List, not to mention that fighting the Nazis in WW2 was still our national touchstone for Good vs Evil.

She can't claim she was ill-educated. She has a college degree. She went to school in the Atlanta suburbs just like I did.

If she's claiming that she really didn't understand the Holocaust until now, she's lying.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jesus, I'm old...and a nerd. I immediately wondered if Magic the Gathering was really THAT old after reading your opening sentence. :oops:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In case you wondering whether or not the visit to the Holocaust Museum really caused her to think about her life and what her role in government should be:

It's time to fire Anthony Fauci.

My "Fire Fauci Act" does exactly that.

Thank you to my Republican colleagues for supporting this legislation.
Read her statement here.

Beyond deplorable.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This is a terrible, deadly virus that's a hoax, and Fauci doesn't know what he's talking about and also is controlling the economy through shrewd power-hungry acting. President Trump is awesome and did only awesome things and was kneecapped by this old know-nothing man. We should fire him for doing too much and not enough.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

What a bunch of time wasters.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We need some Jewish space lasers to cull the herd a bit.
Covfefe!
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

She should have called it the "You See Act" of 2021.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess this goes here?
MIAMI — A little-known GOP candidate in one of Florida’s most competitive congressional seats was secretly recorded threatening to send “a Russian and Ukrainian hit squad” to a fellow Republican opponent to make her “disappear.”

“I call up my Russian and Ukrainian hit squad, and within 24 hours, they're sending me pictures of her disappearing,” he replied. “No, I'm not joking. Like, this is beyond my control this point.”

Asked if the killers were snipers, Braddock described them as, “Russian mafia. Close-battle combat, TEC-9s, MAC-10s, silencers kind of thing. No snipers. Up close and personal. So they know that the target has gone.”
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'd be happy that they are eating their own if it wasn't to hone the edge they are going to use against the rest of us.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:46 am Jesus, I'm old...and a nerd. I immediately wondered if Magic the Gathering was really THAT old after reading your opening sentence. :oops:
Started in 1993, so it's getting there...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:56 am
hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:46 am Jesus, I'm old...and a nerd. I immediately wondered if Magic the Gathering was really THAT old after reading your opening sentence. :oops:
Started in 1993, so it's getting there...
I had to re-calibrate as well to figure out what being referenced as not Magic, knowing it could not be but half that age.... OK 2/3rds that age...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

1993 was like 12 years ago right? Right?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

On the one hand, I like to see Pence twist in the wind for his previous role as a Trump apologist. But he at least TRIED to do the right thing on January 6th. Which has lead to him becoming a pariah in the GOP now.

On the other, this is brutal.

I love how reports are stating he's debating a possible 2024 run. He has zero chance. Wait...make that LESS than zero. I can see maybe...MAYBE some religious extremist support. But even that demographic has largely been poisoned by Trump against him.
Covfefe!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya when both sides hate your guts it's probably not a good thing.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pence is either in lala land or he is hoping for the chance the GOP has a 2022 meltdown, the fever breaks, and he is last man standing who wasn't a hack Trumpist. Either way...good luck Mike.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:31 pm Pence is either in lala land or he is hoping for the chance the GOP has a 2022 meltdown, the fever breaks, and he is last man standing who wasn't a hack Trumpist. Either way...good luck Mike.
You're aware he was Trump's VP, right? :lol: I understand he did the absolute bare minimum not to literally destroy the country on 1/6, but he's absolutely a hack Trumpist--one of the biggest by record.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:01 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:31 pm Pence is either in lala land or he is hoping for the chance the GOP has a 2022 meltdown, the fever breaks, and he is last man standing who wasn't a hack Trumpist. Either way...good luck Mike.
You're aware he was Trump's VP, right? :lol: I understand he did the absolute bare minimum not to literally destroy the country on 1/6, but he's absolutely a hack Trumpist--one of the biggest by record.
Sure. He was practically licking his boots. What I mean is he'll *position* himself in unlikely event of a GOP meltdown as a deeply devout man who loves Democracy. Blah blah blah.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Pence will be long past his expiration date before it becomes fashionable for Republicans to reject Trump and affirm the legitimacy of the 2020 election.

You'll see him in the first couple of GOP debates (if they even hold a primary in 2024), and then you'll never see him again.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Pence illustrates how Trump broke the Republican party. They usually coalesce behind the last Vice President or last strong alternative candidate as the favorite who survives a challenger.

Trump broke through the pack when running, and he's discredited Pence who should have become the next leader.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:42 pm Pence illustrates how Trump broke the Republican party. They usually coalesce behind the last Vice President or last strong alternative candidate as the favorite who survives a challenger.

Trump broke through the pack when running, and he's discredited Pence who should have become the next leader.
There was never any chemistry between Trump and Pence. Nobody will be surprised if Trump never mentions him again.

The story of Mike Pence is that Trump picked him almost on a whim, or maybe even by accident. There wasn't any sense that Pence was paying his dues and doing an apprenticeship that the rest of the party would later endorse for president. Pence was and remains a nobody, even to Republicans (and even to those who distance themselves from 1/6).
malchior

Post by malchior »

Couple of things going on - McCarthy acknowledges Trump wants to be Speaker (surprise!) and Haberman plays the 'GOP saying crazy things is just a joke' card. I can't believe this is still an opinion that doesn't prompt intense mocking. I think that card expired in 2015.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

You want to stay up nights in paranoid sweats, imagine that she and several key people like her in the media, are there to "tamp down" on the crazy so as not to raise the full alarm, as it were.

I'm NOT saying I believe that, never even considered it until right now, but a lot of things I would have previously never considered have not only come true, but exceeded any thoughts I probably would have had at the time (and not in a good way).

She may not even be conscious of the systemic effect/role she has on such things. Someone that supposedly close to the heartbeat of these kinds of events, especially given what's happened in the past several years...seems off. More than just "oh, wow, she really missed that one!" kind of off. :eusa-think:

How could you NOT believe something like this, given what we know about Trump's profile, and the people that adore him (if only for their own political support/popularity).
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:08 pm You want to stay up nights in paranoid sweats, imagine that she and several key people like her in the media, are there to "tamp down" on the crazy so as not to raise the full alarm, as it were.

I'm NOT saying I believe that, never even considered it until right now, but a lot of things I would have previously never considered have not only come true, but exceeded any thoughts I probably would have had at the time (and not in a good way).

She may not even be conscious of the systemic effect/role she has on such things. Someone that supposedly close to the heartbeat of these kinds of events, especially given what's happened in the past several years...seems off. More than just "oh, wow, she really missed that one!" kind of off. :eusa-think:

How could you NOT believe something like this, given what we know about Trump's profile, and the people that adore him (if only for their own political support/popularity).
It’s because we’ve lived through this before. Trump would never agree that he would honor anything other than Him winning re-election.

Pretty sure we were reassured he would of course accept defeat, it was just bluster, he wouldn’t do anything crazy.

I guess I’m just +1ing you here.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

They're not even making a token attempt to hide it anymore.

Rep. Ronny Jackson: "We have redistricting coming up and the Republicans control most of that process in most of the states around the country. That alone should get us the majority back."
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, but remember Manchin and Sinema have total and full respect for the process - which must be preserved no matter what.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Josh Hawley counter-CRT warrior!

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:00 pm Josh Hawley counter-CRT warrior!
I mean, he's not wrong, if you discount the rampant slavery that existed at the time of the founding.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:19 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:00 pm Josh Hawley counter-CRT warrior!
I mean, he's not wrong, if you discount the rampant slavery that existed at the time of the founding.
Next you'll tell me they weren't anti-establishment, aside from being against the establishment that existed at the time of the founding.

Also...

malchior

Post by malchior »

Greg Sargent at the Washington Post made a similar point.
As one of the last Democratic holdouts against filibuster reform, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) is making big news with an op-ed in The Post laying out her rationale. Some of its central pronouncements have already been debunked: Despite her claims otherwise, the filibuster does not facilitate moderation or bipartisan cooperation.

But there’s an even more fundamental flaw in Sinema’s argument: Defending democracy and the filibuster simultaneously, in the terms that Sinema herself employs, is simply incoherent to its core.

Sinema’s own treatment of these questions inadvertently serves to reveal that a choice must inevitably be made between the two — and that Sinema is choosing the filibuster over defending democracy.

The core of Sinema’s argument is that “we will lose much more than we gain” from ending the filibuster. Sinema opposes doing this even for the narrow purpose of passing the sweeping voting rights reforms that already passed the House:

"To those who want to eliminate the legislative filibuster to pass the For the People Act (voting-rights legislation I support and have co-sponsored), I would ask: Would it be good for our country if we did, only to see that legislation rescinded a few years from now and replaced by a nationwide voter-ID law or restrictions on voting by mail in federal elections, over the objections of the minority?"

That truly is frightful. Imagine a world in which legislative majorities could pass voting restrictions over the objections of minorities!

Oh, wait, we already live in that world. In state after state after state, voting restrictions of all kinds are being passed into law by Republican-controlled legislative majorities, over the objections of minorities. Crucially, this is happening almost exclusively on partisan lines.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

DeSantis, is the smart Trump, and far more dangerous:

https://www.naplesnews.com/story/news/e ... 306376001/

He will be the next Republican presidential candidate if Trump doesn't run.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Was there a single K-12 school in Florida that was identified as teaching Critical Race Theory to kids? Every day, the focus on CRT feels more and more like the Satanic Panic insanity I remember as a kid.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:56 am Was there a single K-12 school in Florida that was identified as teaching Critical Race Theory to kids?
No, in the academic sense of Critical Race Theory as the study of systemic racism in law and economics.

Yes, in the right-wing sense of CRT as insufficiently jingoistic teaching of US history.
Every day, the focus on CRT feels more and more like the Satanic Panic insanity I remember as a kid.
Except that was ignorance. This is deviousness.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Meanwhile OANN is running a headline that Trump can be put back in office and we're going to get some audit "results" this week. I predict bloodshed sooner than later because of this nonsense.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Think correctly citizen...lest ye be judged.
In his continued push against the “indoctrination” of students, Gov. Ron DeSantis on Tuesday signed legislation that will require public universities and colleges to survey students, faculty and staff about their beliefs and viewpoints to support “intellectual diversity.”

The survey will discern “the extent to which competing ideas and perspectives are presented” in public universities and colleges, and seeks to find whether students, faculty and staff “feel free to express beliefs and viewpoints on campus and in the classroom,” according to the bill.

The measure, which goes into effect July 1, does not specify what will be done with the survey results. But DeSantis and Sen. Ray Rodrigues, the sponsor of the bill, suggested on Tuesday that budget cuts could be looming if universities and colleges are found to be “indoctrinating” students.
DeSantis is vile trash.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.