Strange typos. Sign of getting old?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Victoria Raverna

Strange typos. Sign of getting old?

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Lately I spend a lot of time on discord text channels and one thing that I noticed is that I made a lot of typos but some of them are strange. Seem like my brain got a bit scrambled.

For example sometime when I to type "want", I ended up with "one".

Anyone has experience like that? Is that normal for a brain to function like that? In my head it is "want" but my fingers type "one".
Sudy

Re: Strange typos. Sign of getting old?

Post by Sudy »

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I make typos all the time because my typing fingers are slower than my brain. I'm thinking many words a head of what I'm typing and the next thing I know I typing the word a couple of words a head for what I'm thinking now.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:53 pm I'm sorry but you're going to die.
And I thought I was having deja vu.

There are some words my fingers get wrong every time. Whenever I want to type "globe," it comes out "bloge" unless I slow down and think about it deliberately. I haven't noticed this getting worse with age, but I can't remember being young so who knows.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I may ahve occasionally typed a totally differnt word than I emant to but it is rare.

My problem is my fingers tend to hit the keys i nthe wrong order when I'm typing fast.

So I purposely left the errors above to show you my most common typos. Those are actual errors and not me doing it on purpose.
If I slow down it doesn't happen. And "in the" or "on the" often ends up like above, more so than me getting it right. And I constantly swap letter next to each other.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I notice that at some times, my mind will map my fingers wrong a bit...then it goes away. For instance, I kept hitting 'p' for 9. It happened for a bit, but after concentrating on not doing it, stopped. <shrug>

Then again, I repeat myself...more. Hitting 50 seems to have kicked off all sorts of crap at times.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm still around after decades of this. Of course my health is for shit at 50 and I really don't an improved lifestyle I intend to keep when I get to retirement or medicine keeping around, so maybe you're on to something.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:07 am
I'm still around after decades of this. Of course my health is for shit at 50 and I really don't an improved lifestyle I intend to keep when I get to retirement or medicine keeping around, so maybe you're on to something.
I also do the mysterious missing word thing from time to time
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:06 am
It's especially strange to me that I can't see my mistakes until they are nested in your quote "I really don't see an improved lifestyle I intend to keep when I get to retirement or medicine keeping me around"
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:19 am
It's especially strange to me that I can't see my mistakes until they are nested in your quote "I really don't see an improved lifestyle I intend to keep when I get to retirement or medicine keeping me around"
I often do the missing word also. Spellcheck can't catch that unfortunately.
Last edited by Lassr on Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:19 am
I never see your mistakes either. I've gotten very good at translating from LordMortis-ese in my head.

I find myself with a lot more strange typos but 100% due to using a phone keyboard.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Easier to make typos when autocorrect jumps ahead before you're able to notice anything is out of place. I'd have times where I correct it and have it autocorrected back.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

My most common mistakes are capitalizing the first two letters of a word, or getting the space swrong. Also leaving off n't from contractions sometimes. That can make a big difference.

edited for typo
Last edited by Alefroth on Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:26 pm Also leaving off 'nt from contractions sometimes. That can make a big difference.
I do that a lot and I don't know why or how to stop it. Explicitly affirming instead of explicitly negating and not seeing until it's too late sucks it big time.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:45 pm
Alefroth wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:26 pm Also leaving off 'nt from contractions sometimes. That can make a big difference.
I do that a lot and I don't know why or how to stop it. Explicitly affirming instead of explicitly negating and not seeing until it's too late sucks it big time.
It's like the biggest impact three characters can have. Also don't know what to do about it except be hyper vigilant.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:49 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:45 pm
It's like the biggest impact three characters can have. Also dont know what to do about it except be hyper vigila.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

See?

Post by Default »

I HATE hyper vagina.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

What I like about OO is you can correct such typos if you catch them in time, or just blame LM. Other forums aren't so forgiving, and that can lead to much embarrassment.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

What are these 'other forums' you mention?
Formix

Post by Formix »

Funny you should mention this. About a year ago (at 50...hmmmm) I noticed I type a ; when I want a ' ALMOST EVERY TIME. I have never made this mistake before. If I ever get pod-personed, they'll know it's not me if they correctly type contractions.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Formix wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:41 am Funny you should mention this. About a year ago (at 50...hmmmm) I noticed I type a ; when I want a ' ALMOST EVERY TIME. I have never made this mistake before. If I ever get pod-personed, they'll know it's not me if they correctly type contractions.
I started doing this also in the past few years. It's like my pinkie has gotten too lazy to go one more key.

Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I still can't type Morrowind without typing Morrowing every damn time for some reason.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg