I Need to Kill My Old Phone

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Anonymous Bosch

Re: I Need to Kill My Old Phone

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

disarm wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:40 pm To everyone talking about beating a phone into oblivion or drilling holes through it, keep in mind that there is a lithium battery inside. If that starts leaking in the wrong way, it can be a very serious problem...
Indeed, if at all possible, I'd highly recommend removing the battery prior to any DIY attempt at destruction and disposing it separately. Here's a video that walks you through the process, and you obviously needn't be quite so careful if your aim is to destroy it:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:11 pm My phone no longer buzzes or makes noise when I get incoming messages on Google or FB, and only sometimes on a phone call. Wife has authorized me getting a cheap Samsung model as a father's day present. I don't know if their cheaper models do all of the fitness stuff that my S7 does, and I told her switching to something that doesn't has no appeal for me. She thinks our 7 year old is a candidate for a hand-me-down, but he already knows he can play games on it and it's already a challenge to get him spending quality time doing something else.
Your wife is wrong. It's HAMMER TIME!!!!

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:49 pm
disarm wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:40 pm To everyone talking about beating a phone into oblivion or drilling holes through it, keep in mind that there is a lithium battery inside. If that starts leaking in the wrong way, it can be a very serious problem...
Indeed, if at all possible, I'd highly recommend removing the battery prior to any DIY attempt at destruction and disposing it separately. Here's a video that walks you through the process, and you obviously needn't be quite so careful if your aim is to destroy it:

+1

Taking a hammer to the lithium battery is something I’d not suggest.

Lithium batteries explode when parts of the battery come into contact with other parts of the battery they aren’t designed to touch. Don’t force that situation upon the battery.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So today I finally had a time and inclination to log into my Sprint account and see the state of things. Was paying $10 for Lookout Premium on my wife's phone (not needed, dropped) and I noticed the pay-off her phone was listed at $22...it was a lease and would continue charging us $16 a month otherwise. The process with the online rep took WAY longer than I thought, 45 minutes later, and the lease was terminated at a cost of $5.50. Then I started looking at upgrades...my S7 is long in the tooth, is not behaving well (rarely rings, no longer makes noise when I get a text or other message, and has a battery life measured in nanoseconds). I can't afford a new flagship phone this time around, but the Galaxy A32 5G was going for the most excellent price of $0 down and $0 per month for 24 months. I did buy the $9 per month protection plan which includes screen replacement as well as free cloud storage for photos...upgrading both of our phones will have no real impact on our bill (it will be slightly less).

And since these phones were free regardless, there's no point trading in our old ones. The kids will be able to use them as gaming devices (both phones are much more powerful than their Fire tablets, which they forever complain is "too laggy") so no killing is necessary. I do have to remove things like the Amazon store though, yesterday the boy bought a game he already owned for $3, which I made him pay for (he actually insisted I take $5 and then brought me another 15 singles and said I could have that too.)

The only problem is the A32 isn't shipping yet...looks like we'll get them in mid-July. Gives plenty of time to shop for phone condoms I guess.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Duly noted!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.