Re: Movies you think you should seriously watch again

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

He was obviously very good at what he was doing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I too rarely watch a film twice. When it's a film I like I rarely regret it, but I usually think that that two hours would be much better spent on a well reviewed film I haven't seen before. But for anything I haven't seen for 10, 15+ years there's usually enough that I've forgotten about it that watching it again may be worthwhile.

However, there's a very special list of films that I could probably watch a couple times a year and never tire of them. I can't think of them all off the top of my head, but definitely the following:

The Big Lebowski (1998)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
The Prestige (2006)

A lot of films by Terry Gilliam, Jim Jarmusch, the Coen brothers, and Christopher Nolan in general. And of course, most of the original Star Wars and Star Trek films up to and probably including First Contact (though I prefer Generations, I don't care what you think).
Last edited by Sudy on Wed May 26, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Just bought The Dark Knight in HDR so I can watch it again. One of the very few movies I love.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Some films are made to be watched repeatedly. You can catch different things that you might have missed before. Feel different emotions based on where you are in life. Identify with different characters as you grow older, or your views just change. They can also be time machines that take you back to who you used to be, or even who you wanted to be.

That’s why I watch Waterworld at least once a year.
Covfefe!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I would like to see Willow again. I am told it is available on Disney+.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He wasn't even from Indiana.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:45 pm Some films are made to be watched repeatedly. You can catch different things that you might have missed before. Feel different emotions based on where you are in life. Identify with different characters as you grow older, or your views just change. They can also be time machines that take you back to who you used to be, or even who you wanted to be.

That’s why I watch Waterworld at least once a year.
Oh, I was presuming the punchline was going to be The Postman. Close, right?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This world is big enough for two masterpieces.
Covfefe!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have a very large movie collection. I don't really find much of a desire to watch movies not in my collection. On those odd times I do I usually just buy the movie.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I've been wanting to re-watch Children of Men for over a year now, but I thought it was way too depressing for 2020.
Fingers crossed I can watch it sometime later this year.

I did re-watch Big Trouble in Little China last fall. That was perfect for 2020, and my wife didn't hate it.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

When I was a kid I saw Car Wash, on tv not in the theater. This meant I saw it in the square aspect ratio, edited for tv. This also meant it was in standard definition, which is not only low rez but also drawn with scanlines as opposed to drawn with individual pixels. The other day I saw a clip of it on Youtube, a 1080p clip. Holy carp! It's a completely different movie. It must have been a restored version too because not only did it look high resolution but the colors and details looked new.

So I'm thinking I need to revisit 'movies I only ever saw on standard definition 4:3 screens' again. I've done it before. But back then I focused on older movies. Movies like Ben Hur and It's a Mad Mad Mad World really are transformed by widescreen and high definition. I still haven't seen The Great Race in widescreen high definition, that one is going on my list.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wiki wrote:Car Wash had its network television premiere on NBC Monday Night at the Movies in 1978. Along with the standard dubbing of strong language, many scenes that included the gay character Lindy (Fargas) were trimmed or deleted. To replace these shortened scenes, and therefore shortened film, a subplot of a diner owner (Danny DeVito) (scenes shot for the theatrical version but cut prior to release) were re-inserted. As of 2013, commercially available versions of the movie were of the original theatrical release, not the revised TV version.
Brian

Post by Brian »

All too often when I get an itch to watch an older movie it's either not available on any streaming service or it shows up on a service that I don't want to pay for.

Until recently, many older movies weren't even available on DVD/Blu-Ray but now there are a couple of distribution houses that have been buying up older catalogs and releasing older movies.
The problem though, becomes one of music rights which means a lot of older movies will end up substituting a song for one that was originally in the movie.
One of the most jarring of these was Love At First Bite's iconic disco scene which dropped I Love The Nightlife (Disco 'Round) by Alicia Bridges for some generic disco fluff which took all the joy out of that scene.

Like DBT though, if I want to watch an older movie and I can't find it on streaming, I'll just buy the DVD/Blu-Ray.

I just recently picked up the 1979 Showtime staple, Scavenger Hunt which we watched with our eldest daughter recently who more than once commented, "wow, this movie is pretty racist."

Yeah, lots of movies from that era were. We just sorta rolled with it.

Also recently rewatched Logan's Run which, if you can get past the special effects, holds up pretty well. Surprising amounts of nudity for a PG movie.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I own DVDs Ive never watched at all....Talladega Nights, Appaloosa, are a couple.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

What about movies I only watched frivolously in the first place? It just occurred to me I never seriously watched Cannonball Run, for example.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:31 pm I own DVDs Ive never watched at all....Talladega Nights, Appaloosa, are a couple.
Not watching Talladega Nights is practically a crime.
Covfefe!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:31 pm I own DVDs Ive never watched at all....Talladega Nights, Appaloosa, are a couple.
Your Talladega Nights is my Hotel Rwanda.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Brian wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:03 pm All too often when I get an itch to watch an older movie it's either not available on any streaming service or it shows up on a service that I don't want to pay for.
Agree about Logan's Run, which I also saw within the past year or so.

Lately I've been frustrated by ordering my virtual DVR to "record" old movies from TCM, and then finding out that they're "on demand" for a fee. If there's a way to tell that up front, I haven't found it. Probably 1/3 of the movies in my "library" are PPV. Every now and then I weed out the ones I'll never pay for.

TV is complicated and frustrating. I"d say that I miss netflix DVDs, but that service went to hell over the past couple of years, too.

That said, "High Noon" is in my PPV bucket, and I'll most likely pony up $4 to watch it again. I haven't seen it in 20+ years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

La Confidential
Suicide Kings
Very Bad Things
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:42 am La Confidential
Such an excellent movie. I've seen it multiple times, but I'd definitely stop and watch it again. Good choice.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

TheMix wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:21 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:42 am La Confidential
Such an excellent movie. I've seen it multiple times, but I'd definitely stop and watch it again. Good choice.
Have you read the book? I loved the movie, but was blown away when I later read the book. It's nothing short of a miracle that they were able to transform such a dense and complicated book into not just a coherent movie, but a really excellent movie.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I have not.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nor have I.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Also haven't read it.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love James Ellroy. He's like Charles Bukowski if Bukowski wrote true crime novels.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:53 pm I love James Ellroy. He's like Charles Bukowski if Bukowski wrote true crime novels.
I hosted James Ellroy on his reading tour for AMERICAN TABLOID. We all went to dinner with him and his publicist, and they were charmingly obscene.

This was during the making of the movie of L.A. CONFIDENTIAL, and Ellroy was quite clear that he despised Kevin Spacey not because he was gay (which none of us knew at the time) but because he was creepy.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

My middle son is a big fan of 80s and 90s comedies. We watched Back to the Future last weekend (I have it on blu-ray). Some others we have watched:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Goonies
Tommy Boy
Home Alone (numerous times at Christmas)
Dumb and Dumber
Ace Ventura
Grumpy Old Men (and Grumpier)
Austin Powers (all of them)
BeetleJuice
Gremlins
Ghostbusters
The Princess Bride
Rocky I, II, III - Middle son had to watch a sports movie for a sports marketing class and picked Rocky. Loved it and then we watched 2 and 3.
There's a few others I'm forgetting (besides the obvious Star Wars movies)

All worth watching again.
Three movies I tend to watch about once per year are Predator and Terminator 1/2.

As for movies I'd like to rewatch but may never actually do it:
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
Good Will Hunting
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

EvilHomer4K wrote:My middle son is a big fan of 80s and 90s comedies.
I currently only buy horror on Blu-ray (I had to limit myself to one genre to keep from going overboard), but I started buying 80s films digitally whenever I saw them for cheap on Vudu.

One day I hope to own pretty much every 80s movie I remember from my childhood. It serves the double purpose of being a way to show my kids those movies. They absolutely don't mind watching "old" movies, and particularly like watching things I loved as a kid. I think they're kind of fascinated with the idea that I was a kid once too. :D
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Daehawk wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:06 pm Theres movies we all love but haven't seen in ages that deserve a rewatch.

Three of my choices are

Galaxy Quest
I recently watched the documentary, Never Surrender, about Galaxy Quest and it made me appreciate the movie a whole lot more. It's free to watch on Amazon Prime and very enjoyable. Maybe start there!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Lordnine wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:41 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:06 pm Theres movies we all love but haven't seen in ages that deserve a rewatch.

Three of my choices are

Galaxy Quest
I recently watched the documentary, Never Surrender, about Galaxy Quest and it made me appreciate the movie a whole lot more. It's free to watch on Amazon Prime and very enjoyable. Maybe start there!
I have gotta watch that. We watched GQ again just last week and enjoyed every minute. Especially the Sigourney Weaver minutes. :)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My wife admitted yesterday that's she's been getting into Mozart lately. I see a re-watch of Amadeus in the near future.

When that movie came out, I was in my 20's, running a 56-seat lunch counter and deli. One of my regular customers was in her mid-70's, a brain cancer survivor who lost all memory of her husband (who she was a partner in a restaurant once). She invited me to go with her to see it, and then afterward we had dinner at a restaurant next to the theater. She explained in detail all of the factual errors of the movie, but in the end said it was an excellent movie in spite of this.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It came out when I was in high school. Our world history teacher played it for us...on a tv on a stand with a top loading vcr. We were all "Oh do we have to?" but by the end of the first day we were all excitedly awaiting tomorrow when we saw the second half of the movie. We LOVED it. We then discussed it and the time period for probably two weeks. It was wonderful. It was such a great movie I never forgot it and how much I enjoyed it. Have never seen it again for fear it might not live up to my memories. Have watched YouTube clips.

I remember so hating on Salieri until near the end when I realized his true feelings and thoughts and it all came together. He was truly the best character in it just ahead Mozart.
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon May 31, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
geezer

Post by geezer »

Anyone ever listen to “the rewatchables” podcast on theringer / Spotify? Bill Simmons & co spend about 90 minutes each episode digging into classic (popular) movies.

Also, I rewatched Casino Royale (Daniel Craig, not woody Allen) yesterday. It’s still really good.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Now that my boys are all teens, I've been trying to watch some classics with them. Just recently we watched Saving Private Ryan, The Sixth Sense, and My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Last year I tried a couple of old-ish action films (The Matrix and Mission Impossible), but they didn't seem to hold up so well. Still haven't gotten around to having them watch Die Hard.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

geezer wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:25 am Also, I rewatched Casino Royale (Daniel Craig, not woody Allen) yesterday. It’s still really good.
I watched Skyfall for the second time a few weeks ago. I always watch Bond movies whenever I happen to see them on, for whatever reason they overcome my natural apathy to see something I've watched before.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

paulbaxter wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:40 am Now that my boys are all teens, I've been trying to watch some classics with them. Just recently we watched Saving Private Ryan, The Sixth Sense, and My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Last year I tried a couple of old-ish action films (The Matrix and Mission Impossible), but they didn't seem to hold up so well. Still haven't gotten around to having them watch Die Hard.

paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Sudy wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:06 am
paulbaxter wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:40 am Now that my boys are all teens, I've been trying to watch some classics with them. Just recently we watched Saving Private Ryan, The Sixth Sense, and My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Last year I tried a couple of old-ish action films (The Matrix and Mission Impossible), but they didn't seem to hold up so well. Still haven't gotten around to having them watch Die Hard.

Hey, My Big Fat Greek Wedding happened to be their favorite of the bunch. They tolerate non-comedies politely.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Holman

Post by Holman »

paulbaxter wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:37 pm Hey, My Big Fat Greek Wedding happened to be their favorite of the bunch. They tolerate non-comedies politely.
I think boys need way more exposure to romantic comedy. And to movies without violence more generally.

Classic screwball comedies hold up pretty well. We all just watched The Philadelphia Story.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

paulbaxter wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:40 am Now that my boys are all teens, I've been trying to watch some classics with them.
When my son is that old, those are not the classics I anticipate watching with him. :ninja:
Black Lives Matter