HISTORY of IRONCLADS: Broadside Ironclads Video

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

totemgam

HISTORY of IRONCLADS: Broadside Ironclads Video

Post by totemgam »

More than ten years have passed since my sincere and long-standing passion for the navy of the age of armor and steam turned out to be in demand by a small team of like-minded people. All these years I have made every effort to ensure that as many people as possible can share my passion. I wrote historical articles and books, I helped make computer games, and now I turned to a new format of communication for me.

Here's a video of how the advanced technology of the mid-19th century influenced the navy and led to a new type of ship - the battleship.

Your opinion on this video is really important to me. I want to know if I should continue this story? What can be improved?
stessier

Re: HISTORY of IRONCLADS: Broadside Ironclads Video

Post by stessier »

I know nothing about this topic and watched the whole video. Please don't take any of these questions personally - you made a high quality video which is an accomplishment I do not have.
  • I need more definitions. I don't know anything. What is a screw frigate? Why did it evolve? Why did steam ships keep their sails?
    What was a Ship of the Line? Who was best at making these? What was the story behind the arms race (who was leading, who was innovating, etc.)?
  • Some of the narration is by a woman's voice. This voice seems automate/computer generated and was not as high quality as the other voice.
  • I really liked all the historic pictures. I want more explanation of what I'm looking at though - why it's important, what is unique, etc.
  • I liked the tabletop conceit.
You asked if you should continue the story. I'm not sure I picked up on a story other than "these are ironclads." I thought the optics of the video were very good and I would watch another, but there was no narrative reason to draw me into another one. For example, if this one had started with "we will discuss ironclads of the 1860s" and ended with "at the start of the next decade, technological innovations would see big changes in these kings of the seas - click here for more", I'd have a reason to click.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

A screw frigates a warship that uses a propeller to move. They were quite innovative for the times.Many ships were paddleboats using a big paddlewheels in the back or sides. Pure sailing ships were also still used.
Ship of the line is the olde time version of a battleship. Had lots of big powerful guns. Frigates were the olde time version of a cruiser.
Ships kept their sails as a backup mainly. As you can imagine steam engines weren't that reliable in those days or had much range. Sails were also used as auxillery power.

I've known a lot about American civil war ironclads but the ships of the rest of the world are pretty unknown.The video was pretty good but a little stiff. I E monotone voices.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

2 stessier\

"I know nothing about this topic and watched the whole video. Please don't take any of these questions personally - you made a high quality video which is an accomplishment I do not have.
I need more definitions. I don't know anything. What is a screw frigate? Why did it evolve? Why did steam ships keep their sails?
What was a Ship of the Line? Who was best at making these? What was the story behind the arms race (who was leading, who was innovating, etc.)?"

- I understood you. This is a very good idea. I will try to think about how to solve this problem. I think it can be done. Thank you!

"Some of the narration is by a woman's voice. This voice seems automate/computer generated and was not as high quality as the other voice."

- Unfortunately yes. A female voice is generated. I will fix it.

"I really liked all the historic pictures. I want more explanation of what I'm looking at though - why it's important, what is unique, etc."

- This is also a very good idea. I'll fix it for sure.

"You asked if you should continue the story. I'm not sure I picked up on a story other than "these are ironclads." I thought the optics of the video were very good and I would watch another, but there was no narrative reason to draw me into another one. For example, if this one had started with "we will discuss ironclads of the 1860s" and ended with "at the start of the next decade, technological innovations would see big changes in these kings of the seas - click here for more", I'd have a reason to click."

- I understood. We need a clear introduction.
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

2 dbt1949\

Thanks for the explanation!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

When you showed the photo gallery from the 1860s I expected to see the Merrimack and the Monitor, which are all most Americans know about ironclads. Maybe that's a whole separate video since this one's Eurocentric.
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

Kraken wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:25 am When you showed the photo gallery from the 1860s I expected to see the Merrimack and the Monitor, which are all most Americans know about ironclads. Maybe that's a whole separate video since this one's Eurocentric.
Yes, American Civil War ironclads are an important part of battleship history. But these ironclads did not appear in a vacuum, but were part of a development process that began in Europe. This is a very interesting story.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Many decades ago I had a board game called "Ironclads". I think it was made by a company called Yaquinto.
Anyrate it covered the river wars of the American civil war and you used a piece of paper to keep track of the damage. Many interesting ships that you never hear much about. It also had a few scenarios of ironclad battles in South America and around the world.
Was one of my favorite games of the day.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/280 ... at-america
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:40 pm Many decades ago I had a board game called "Ironclads".
I'll date myself by saying that I'm another fan. I never owned it though.

Back to the video. I'm probably not the right audience as I do know a little about the broadside ironclads. So when you showed the cool pictures of them I wanted to learn a little bit. The Spanish ones actually fought; were they effective? Why did you label one ship a failure? The floating batteries from the Crimean War were mentioned but no details as to how they tied into the creation of the first ironclads 5 or so years later.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I toured the civil war memorial at Vicksburg once. They had a river ironclad there, I think it was the Cairo. It was a huge ship. I never realized how big those things were and how thick the armor and wooden beams backing it up were.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

Madmarcus wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:58 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:40 pm Many decades ago I had a board game called "Ironclads".
I'll date myself by saying that I'm another fan. I never owned it though.

Back to the video. I'm probably not the right audience as I do know a little about the broadside ironclads. So when you showed the cool pictures of them I wanted to learn a little bit. The Spanish ones actually fought; were they effective? Why did you label one ship a failure? The floating batteries from the Crimean War were mentioned but no details as to how they tied into the creation of the first ironclads 5 or so years later.

I realized that the video has too high requirements for knowledge about the subject. This is very important information for me.

Yes, the Spanish battleships fought in the civil war, but the battle was fought in unusual conditions.
In the fall of 1873, Cartagena was besieged from land by government troops, and from the sea was blocked by a detachment of the government fleet under the command of Rear Admiral Miguel Lobo (Spanish) Russian. as part of the battleship Victoria (English) Russian., wooden propeller frigates Almansa, Navas-de-Tolosa and Carmen and wheeled corvettes Ciudad-de-Cadiz and Colon.

On October 11, the rebel commander decided to force the enemy to lift the blockade and for this purpose at 10½ o'clock in the morning went to sea with three ironclads: Numancia, Tetuan and Mendez-Nunez, and a wheeled corvette Ferdinando-el-Catolico.

The battle lasted 2 hours, but was ineffectual. The shooting of the rebels, whose teams were poorly trained, was very inaccurate, but, on the other hand, the armor served as a good defense against the shells of government ships, the shooting of which was, although better, still far from being a target.

Foreign ships were present at the scene of the battle, and the combatants took cover behind them when they were in danger. So, the corvette Ciudad-de-Cadiz took cover behind the German corvette Elisabeth, when the ironclad Numancia threatened it with a ramming strike, and Mendez-Nunez did the same, fleeing the ironclad Victoria: he took refuge behind the French ironclad Thetis.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Thanks for the info!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I enjoyed the video also but agree, even more detail may have been better, could probably double the time length, or cover less in the 5 minutes and make more episodes.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

I want to express my sincere gratitude to everyone who watched my video and left their feedback. Your help has been helpful, friendly and inspiring.

I tried to take into account your suggestions and present to your attention a new video:

It talks about how steam technology has changed the sailing fleet. If the interest in my work turns out to be sufficient, then I plan to separately show rare photographs of ships of the 1850s, and then return to the first ironclad battleships.

In our age of satiety, it is difficult for us to devote our attention to even interesting information, and therefore thanks for your time!

Maxim
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I loved that video!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yes, it has a nice clear narrative for an interesting subject.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I too enjoyed that video, well done.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

That was very good!

One question I had is what changed between the European frigates that could not use their heavy guns in bad weather, and the American design that could? Was it just a difference in the hull construction that allowed for a higher center of gravity?
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

gbasden wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:29 pm That was very good!

One question I had is what changed between the European frigates that could not use their heavy guns in bad weather, and the American design that could? Was it just a difference in the hull construction that allowed for a higher center of gravity?
To prevent the ship from capsizing, it is necessary that its side is not too high, and the weight of the surface part is less than the weight of the underwater part. To accommodate two or three decks with guns on a battleship had to be located almost at the waterline. A frigate with the same or lower side had only one gun deck and it could be raised higher from the water.

The old European screw-driven frigates were armed with 24 and 32 pound cannons and could not fight on equal terms with the Americans with their battery of 90 and 166 pound Dahlgren cannons.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

totemgam wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:19 am
gbasden wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:29 pm That was very good!

To prevent the ship from capsizing, it is necessary that its side is not too high, and the weight of the surface part is less than the weight of the underwater part. To accommodate two or three decks with guns on a battleship had to be located almost at the waterline. A frigate with the same or lower side had only one gun deck and it could be raised higher from the water.

The old European screw-driven frigates were armed with 24 and 32 pound cannons and could not fight on equal terms with the Americans with their battery of 90 and 166 pound Dahlgren cannons.
Oh, got it - the frigates just didn't have multiple gun decks. Thanks!
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

HISTORY of IRONCLADS: the development of steamship tactics (Youtube Video)

During the Crimean War of 1854-1855, both the French and the British had squadrons of steam ships, but there were no tactics for using them in battle. Only after the conclusion of peace was it possible to organize a series of tests in order to test in reality the existing theories of various complex formations.

Thanks for your time!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Cool!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

This was really nice, thanks! I know a lot about naval ships from antiquity through the Napoleonic age, and again WW1 and later. This helps fill the gap during a transitional period where there was a lot of experimentation, not all successful.
Black Lives Matter
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

Thank you! It inspires me to move on.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

totemgam wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:06 am Thank you! It inspires me to move on.
Please do!
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You've always been a big inspiration in my life.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

In 1839, the Frenchman Louis Daguerre published a method for obtaining a photographic image. Thanks to this invention, we can see what the last sailing and first steam battleships looked like.

Thanks for your time!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Cool beans!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

HISTORY of IRONCLADS: steam screw ships of the line in vintage unique photos #2

In 1839, the Frenchman Louis Daguerre published a method for obtaining a photographic image. Thanks to this invention, we can see what the last sailing and first steam battleships looked like.

Thanks for your time!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I think your very last line should be "until the 20th century."
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It's amazing how big those puppies were. Hard to believe they were very maneuverable or managed rough seas too well.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:52 pm I think your very last line should be "until the 20th century."
You are right, but I just now learned that you cannot replace or fix a video. This will be a lesson to me.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

totemgam wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:08 am
Kraken wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:52 pm I think your very last line should be "until the 20th century."
You are right, but I just now learned that you cannot replace or fix a video. This will be a lesson to me.
Oh well, most viewers probably won't notice.
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

HISTORY of IRONCLADS: anatomy of a ship of the line

Let us consider the construction of a steam screw ship of the line, using the example of the French "Napoleon". For this purpose, we will use the original drawings of this ship from 1848.

Thanks for your time!