When life sucker punches you Updated

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

When life sucker punches you Updated

Post by naednek »

Well, I guess it's not much of a sucker punch when you know that it's coming...

I'm very public with Ethan's life with Cystic Fibrosis. It's a chance to spread awareness and a place for me to vent as I don't have much of a social life.

In February Ethan who is now 11 (can you believe that) starting developing bruising on his outer legs\thighs.

At first we just thought he bounced around too much but they kept coming back. We had our quarterly clinic and shared this with our team. One of the doctors had a look of shock and concern almost immediately and I knew this was going to be bad. They asked some questions and gathered info. They asked to wait a month and test again with blood draws and a ultra sound.

They were concern his spleen may be enlarged which can cause bruising.

We took him in on Tuesday and later that day results came in. His blood work and liver enzyme levels were all normal, and his spleen actually shrunk by 3 cm.

We were so happy we missed reading the other results on the Ultrasound. We were still confused on why he was bruising but had felt relief it wasn't his spleen as they were discussing the possibility of removing it which would be another challenge on keeping him healthy.

The next day my wife decided to look at the ultrasound results again and realized we didn't see what was said regarding his liver. Ethan has cystic fibrosis related liver disease that was diagnosed when he was 4 years old. He's been taking a drug to keep his levels down and had 2 ultra sounds a year to monitor.

Each time the results would relatively stay the same with slow progression until Tuesday's results...

They found scarring on his liver. That's not good and we stupidly started looking up medical terms to try to understand what we are looking at on the report. That didn't help as it started getting dark and scary the more we searched. We anxiously waited the next day to talk with the doctor.

She confirmed he has scarring and has estimated he's between level 3 and 4 of cirrhosis. There's 4 levels, with 4 being the highest. She's encouraged that his enzyme levels are stable. We don't know if that new drug he's been (orkambi) helped speed things along, or this is just what happens. We've seen great results with Orkambi as he no longer needs to have enzymes to absorb nutrients from his food. His pancreas is now sufficient and can do that job without help. He's gaining weight (15 pounds in a year) which is great because when you have CF you tend to not gain weight and that directly relates to your health. Now they are concerned he's gaining too much and wants to make sure his abdomen doesn't store too much fat which will put pressure on his organs and make his liver work even harder.

So while Orkambi has benefited Ethan in certain ways, it may have speed up the progression. They had monitored his liver and blood levels closely since being on Orkambi and after a year of being on it didn't see a change to cause concern. Sometime between now and when he turns 12 he will be eligible to take a different drug that does even more, but it's possible it could also hurt his liver. It may also help. We will have to cross that bridge when we get there.

Needless to say we're freaked out and while we knew about the liver disease, we thought this would be an issue much later in life.

So that's where we are at right now. We feel a little better now that we know the extent and have a game plan, but still doesn't change the fact that Cystic Fibrosis sucks.

Thanks for listening
Ken
Last edited by naednek on Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Carpet_pissr

Re: When life sucker punches you

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm sorry to read that, brother. I respect your stoicism (and all on here who face serious health issues with loved ones/themselves), and I hope this new condition is manageable by the wonders of modern medicine.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Is he a candidate for a liver transplant? We have an expert on those here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

abdomen doesn't store too much fat
If only I could get mine to stop doing that. I was going to call hi ma tough little guy but goodness he is 11 now! Probably getting to be as tall as his dad or near bouts. Good luck with it all. Hope he does great.

Also milk thistle for liver. Its pretty amazing. Our little dog had liver problems and perhaps even a tumor on his liver once and we started milk thistle and it all cleared up. Thank goodness. Read up on it at least Id suggest.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm so sorry to hear this news, naednek. Your family has been through so much and done so much so well.

I'm thinking of you and yours, and wishing for all the best outcomes.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kraken wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:54 pm Is he a candidate for a liver transplant? We have an expert on those here.
not yet. The doctor said he's not there yet. But she did say if he kept progressing she would refer him to UCSF. She said of all the transplants liver is the one you want as it's the most successful
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Thank you for sharing.

Ethan has a fan club here, even if he never met most of them.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It's hard to believe Ethan is 11, and that you're dealing with liver issues already.

Sucks is an understatement. Definitely felt that punch right to the gut as a parent with my own girls who will eventually face complications from Type 1 Diabetes. You can take every precautionary step, but can't control everything.

But I'm glad your doctors have a game plan. Best hopes for progress and better news soon.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wow, sorry man. Best of luck going forward.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

:cry: So sorry, Ken.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Sorry to hear Ken. Glad they've caught it and can keep a close eye on it. Your family will be in my thoughts. You've had kind words for me during my illness and I haven't forgotten it. I've always thought of you and your family as strong folks and that says a lot. You guys hang in there.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Enough

Post by Enough »

Jaymon wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:19 pm Thank you for sharing.

Ethan has a fan club here, even if he never met most of them.
Well said, definitely rooting you all on with lots of love, strength and healing vibes being sent your way!
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Damn, so sorry to hear that. Definitely keeping you guys in our thoughts.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Condolences for the negative development and all the best to you and your family going forward.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah damn, I really don’t like reading this. Ethan will be in my thoughts. I hope he gets over this soon.
He won. Period.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Tell him he's gotta make it. They got a garbage truck reserved just for him to drive! (He does still want to do that right?)

So sorry for you and your family and every one else with little ones having problems. Not great to have older people having issues either, but kids are just so much worse. Old people have at least had a chance to live and enjoy a full life.

Hopefully, Ethan will get through all of this and live a long and full life yet. Maybe even outlive you and your wife (after you have lived a much longer and fuller life than you have so far).
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

:romance-grouphug:

Good thoughts for the little man.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Best of luck and wishes going forward.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Holman wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:07 pm I'm so sorry to hear this news, naednek. Your family has been through so much and done so much so well.

All of this.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

naednek wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:26 pm
Thanks for listening
Ken
Please know that we all wish we could do even more.

Like everyone else, I'll be thinking a lot about you and your family - and I hope there are better days ahead.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Thanks for sharing Ken. The Moats will be thinking about you and rooting for Ethan.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:37 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:07 pm I'm so sorry to hear this news, naednek. Your family has been through so much and done so much so well.

All of this.
Yes yes. Rooting hard for all of you.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Everybody here is on Team Ethan.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said (better) by those before me. Hoping your family can get some relief.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Positivity and support. Best luck to Ethan and the rest of the family.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Oh damn, dude, that sucks. It hits home because my guy is named Ethan too. Much love to you.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Good luck to Ethan and the rest of your family, Ken.
Hodor.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm rooting for the entire Dean family but especially Ethan!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I can’t imagine what you are going through, but I will add my hopes for it to be manageable going forward.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I know what it's like when your fears run out of control. Hopefully, the prognosis will be much better than you fear. We'll be praying for you and your family.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm very sorry to hear this. I hope Ethan gets better soon.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You all have my best wishes for health and happiness. :pray:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I was gritting my teeth when I started reading, and hope you're doing okay. It sounds like it could have been worse, and I'm glad it wasn't.
naednek wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:08 pm She said of all the transplants liver is the one you want as it's the most successful
That's encouraging, at least. I've always heard the liver was a robust organ.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Thanks everyone.

I'm at the stage of acceptance. Not much to do about it except for some changes in diet and more excercise. The rest is out of our control. He's 11 and he's at the age where he understands more, but it's hard because we have protected him for so long.

We're meeting with a nutrionist this week to go over the changes and have her explain the changes to Ethan so that he will see it coming from a "doctor" and not mean mom or dad :) I'm hoping he will be more agreeable coming from her.

While we talked with him at a high level, I'm thinking we will have one of the doctors explain more on what's happening so he understands better. He's at the age that he's going to be more responsible for his medical routines.

In fact in a year or two we will lose access to his healthcare email. Not very happy about that.
MHS

Post by MHS »

I'm so sorry to hear this. Sending you and your family all the best thoughts. There's just nothing worse than your child having health issues, you would do anything in your power to take it all away but you can't. Hoping things progress in a positive direction.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Sorry to hear about the setback, but it sounds like you guys are handling this in the right way (not surprising). Good luck, and we'll keep you in our prayers.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
naednek

Post by naednek »

So an update, and a good one!

On Saturday I took Ethan to Kaiser for an MRI to get a better idea on what's going on with his liver.
They took images with and without contrast. He laid in that skinny tube for about a hour and half. It was his first time without being sedated. He did great. He was able to watch a movie through plastic goggles and headphones. Mind blown.

We got his results later that evening. Based on what we read and could understand it seemed like it was good news considering what we saw on the ultrasound but we decided to not Google and obsess over Easter.

Today the doctor sent us an email stating they results were good. There are some cirrhosis on his liver but not the entire liver. No lesions or tumors. His pancreas shrunk and his spleen remains not enlarged.

She would like to get a biopsy done to see where he's at as that's the gold standard on determining the severity. Since we found out about it Ethan has been eating a lot more vegetables and being more active.
So this confirmed what the ultrasound shown but it seems like it's not bad as initially thought.

So while it confirmed things, it gave us a clearer picture and we know that it hasn't progressed to all of his liver.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:music-rockout:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Any good news is awesome news. Thank you for sharing!

I hope it never gets to that point, but things like this are why I've signed up as an organ donor. I know it can change lives after I've stopped using my bits and pieces.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That's good news. Thanks for sharing it!