Are you stimulating?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

What will you do with your stimulus check?

My what now? No, I'm not bitter
32%
My what now? Yeah, I'm bitter
3%
Spending on necessities
11%
Spending on luxuries
9%
Spending on experiences
2%
Paying down debt
15%
Paying taxes
6%
Saving
18%
Investing
2%
Other
3%

Total votes: 66

Kraken

Are you stimulating?

Post by Kraken »

Starting as soon as this weekend, Uncle Sugar's going to make it rain for most of us. You probably know the parameters and how much you'll get; if not, they're easy to find. Unlike the last round, this is a nice chunk of change. So, whaddaya gonna do with it?
Malificent

Re: Are you stimulating?

Post by Malificent »

I'm trying very hard to resist the urge to buy a very large TV.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Necessities and saving.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We're in a flux where a lot of money is going out to sell my late BIL's house, and we anticipate getting it back plus a profit when it finally sells. We recently paid his 2019 federal income tax, which was just a few hundred bucks less than our stimulus check. So I picked "pay taxes." We'll probably owe the other few hundred bucks when we get our 4/15 reckoning.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

BTW I made this poll changeable in case you end up using it other than planned.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:48 pm Necessities and saving.
Buy a lawnmower. Don't buy a rototiller, though -- you'll only ever use it once or twice, and they are physically brutal to run. You can hire someone to do it for you for less money.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Eyeballing paying off either a "high"-rate (6.6%) segment of my grad student loans, which are in pandemic deferment, or paying off my undergrad loans at a lower rate, which are not in deferment.

And maybe a couple extra monitors for myself and the wife.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Not that I'm really going to have much say in what the checks go for, since I bought my uber-rig late last year :roll:, but I think the wife is looking at Disney World passes or more house decorating. I do think we might end up with a couple of five foot high metal flamingos for the front lawn as well.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Saving, investing, necessities, luxuries, charity.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I don't think the government is going to be happy with the poll results.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

We've already stimulated and have some tingling reminders to pay down.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Paying off debt. There were a couple of six-month periods where Michelle was out of work. My check wasn't enough to cover everything during those times, so we ended up having to pay the balance of our necessities on my credit card. We'll replace a broken thing or two, I've got one thing I've been wanting, but about 90% of it will be going onto that card. It's enough to reduce my card fees by about $100, which will make paying the rest of it off a lot easier.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I wonder how many people who are buying things with the money are spending it locally or by the internet.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's strange how things have worked out, but the year we pick to close on a house wound up being the year of the stimulus check. So every dime of that is going towards closing costs and furniture.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Doing the most boring thing possible with it--paying my income taxes.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Haven't got the punchline from my accountant yet. Might go to taxes.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Based on the calculator I checked I'm not getting stimulated this time around. Damn gainful employment! The previous two we got full payment for the kids and a tiny fraction on top of that for us. This time the kids part is phased out along with the rest and the cutoff is lower.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Ours will replace the money we took from savings for a down payment last month on a new (used) car.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Vet visits for my five pets, a chest of drawers so I don't have to live out of two hampers anymore, and the rest for cons I'm hopeful to attend in November.
Last edited by Lorini on Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:37 am Based on the calculator I checked I'm not getting stimulated this time around. Damn gainful employment! The previous two we got full payment for the kids and a tiny fraction on top of that for us. This time the kids part is phased out along with the rest and the cutoff is lower.
Looking the same.

But we're supposedly getting a $450 food stamp card from CPS. Every kid in CPS gets it regardless of need. Going to give it to the local food bank if I can.

Regarding stimulating, I'm tapped out. Our food spend is probably double as we continue to try to overweight local businesses. We already hit our annual charitable giving budget and that's before the two major events scheduled for October. I spend about 8-10 hours a week on volunteer work and am glad handing with a lot of people I don't like (but many I do like, which keeps me going). My phone is always pinging with some minor crisis or other. I keep waiting for "back to normal" and am terrified that this is it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I don't think we are getting a check this time either. We did, however, just buy a new washing machine since the old one was ~20 years old and finally died last week.
Brian

Post by Brian »

If we get one (we didn't get the last one but they are supposedly applying it to our tax return) then it will be applied towards paying off my 2018 tax debt.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Replenish savings as my ex-wife got half of savings as of last week. Luckily, my taxes still show married so I get full amount.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm putting it all into GameSpot stock.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I've bought a few fun things, but I've saved sooooooo much money over the last year that it's mind boggling. I got backpay for not getting a review for 2 years + the stimulus checks + my wife started a job that has free healthcare. I feel it will all collapse on me at some point, so I've just been socking it all away. And then I get another 4,200 next month from the Biden bucks. :shock:

We are planning a little trip in July, but it's a cheap trip and I have been slowly building a super awesome racing sim rig. Racing in a league at least gives me some social life. :lol: It can get crazzzzyyyy expensive though. I've already spend like 1K and still have like 600 in things I still want. :shock:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lassr wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:11 pm Replenish savings as my ex-wife got half of savings as of last week. Luckily, my taxes still show married so I get full amount.
Sounds like the last six months haven't been pleasant. I hope the outcome is to everyone's long-term benefit.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:37 am Based on the calculator I checked I'm not getting stimulated this time around. Damn gainful employment! The previous two we got full payment for the kids and a tiny fraction on top of that for us. This time the kids part is phased out along with the rest and the cutoff is lower.
Link to calculator?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 pm I'm putting it all into GameSpot stock.
I would have (jokingly) answered this way if I were getting a stimulus check.
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:34 pm
Link to calculator?
https://www.kiplinger.com/kiplinger-too ... /index.php
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Thanks, I qualify!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 pm I'm putting it all into GameSpot stock.
The gaming website? Or did you mean GameStop? I bet you'd find a lot of folks who want to sell you their stock :wink:

Beginning to definitely look like metal flamingos for the front lawn. My wife saw a store with them when we were on the west coast of Florida visiting Three Sisters Springs two days ago and now she really wants a couple.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:46 pm
Lassr wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:11 pm Replenish savings as my ex-wife got half of savings as of last week. Luckily, my taxes still show married so I get full amount.
Sounds like the last six months haven't been pleasant. I hope the outcome is to everyone's long-term benefit.
Shocking is more like it. We're still friends, she just felt we had nothing in common anymore. I think midlife crisis after her mom passed.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Lassr wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:21 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:46 pm
Shocking is more like it. We're still friends, she just felt we had nothing in common anymore. I think midlife crisis after her mom passed.
That happened to me and my ex-wife. We just grew apart. Best of luck to you.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

We have spent the other stimulus checks on frivilous thins probably, or simply put them in the bank and waited for the opportunity. But this check will probably go towards paying the taxes I figure we will owe.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

What, a trip to Banana Republic would've killed you?
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:04 am I wonder how many people who are buying things with the money are spending it locally or by the internet.
Some of both with me. Same with donations.

A feline urinary blockage just added some to the necessities column. I suppose that will ultimately be pay down debt.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Lorini wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:44 am Vet visits for my five pets, a chest of drawers so I don't have to live out of two hampers anymore, and the rest for cons I'm hopeful to happy in November.
All mod cons?
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm going to support the airline industry flying back to the US but I don't know if that counts as I was going to do it with or without the check. Really it will go sit in my US account but knowing it is there will make me spend a little more freely for the next few months. So the US stimulus gets to support local restaurants in Bokjeong!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

credit union just showed the deposit pending for the 17th

Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

No plans for it and it will sit so I chose other.

*Political* I do wish this was not such a huge bill. We should only be spending the money on those that need it the most. I don't need it as my income has changed little and I know this will cost us more down the road.