Post by Kraken »

Excellent news.
Xmann

Re: Go Fund Me

Post by Xmann »

naednek wrote:
Xmann wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:28 pm no stress in managing the employees,

LOL :P
what that means is I would only have 3 employees I would managed. someone else manages the nursing staff.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

That’s a fantastic update Xmann. So glad to hear it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

What a rollercoaster ride of a thread! That's the best update so far, and I'm happy to see things turn around for you.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

AWESOME!!!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I must have slept wrong last night because my chest hurts today. Frustrating.

It's not affecting my respiratory system and it doesn't hurt when breathing. My doctor thinks it's still costochondritis and I agree. To touch, it's very sensitive.

I'm very thankful my MD does concierge service and I can contact her on weekends if I need to. Her concierge service costs $1000 a year per family, but she waved the fee for me.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Last night doesn't sound so great, but your update yesterday was very cool! Was wondering how you were looking for job prospects, sounds like that should be covered. :)
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Thank you for all of the posts/updates/incite. My brother's Covid was the worse out of his family of 6 and he tries not to read too much about his lingering symptoms. He had not gone to the hospital (no extreme difficulties) during his infection but had kept his annual physical about 2 months after his initial illness. I am able to find comfort in your recovery bc he doesn't want to talk about the longevity processes as the weeks go by. I find ways to talk to him about it, as if he isn't aware of my prying, ha!

Also, heard a story of how someone who had Covid early 2020 felt they finally improved once they got the 1st vaccine shot, second shot made the feeling closer to 100% wellness.

Super wishing you the BEST with a nod towards regaining your superhero strength.

(sorry I noticed the PayPal link after going to GoFundMe, husband always saids I go too fast with things I set my mind to vs taking a few extra seconds)
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

KKBlue wrote:Thank you for all of the posts/updates/incite. My brother's Covid was the worse out of his family of 6 and he tries not to read too much about his lingering symptoms. He had not gone to the hospital (no extreme difficulties) during his infection but had kept his annual physical about 2 months after his initial illness. I am able to find comfort in your recovery bc he doesn't want to talk about the longevity processes as the weeks go by. I find ways to talk to him about it, as if he isn't aware of my prying, ha!

Also, heard a story of how someone who had Covid early 2020 felt they finally improved once they got the 1st vaccine shot, second shot made the feeling closer to 100% wellness.

Super wishing you the BEST with a nod towards regaining your superhero strength.

(sorry I noticed the PayPal link after going to GoFundMe, husband always saids I go too fast with things I set my mind to vs taking a few extra seconds)
Very kind of you. I know how your brother feels. I sometimes feel being a nurse makes it worse because I know diagnoses and symptoms and I'll think the worse at times. I wish I had the will to stop researching and thinking about what I know.

However, I refuse to let Covid define me. I have a lot of living left to do and Covid is not going to stop me. It's a grind, but I'll keep fighting through it. Tell your brother to hang in there. I was reading just last night that after getting the first dose, it ramps up your immune response and it does indeed make those dealing with symptoms feel much better. Hoping your brother will benefit from that. Makes me feel much better myself.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Xmann wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:30 pm ...
However, I refuse to let Covid define me. I have a lot of living left to do and Covid is not going to stop me. It's a grind, but I'll keep fighting through it. Tell your brother to hang in there. I was reading just last night that after getting the first dose, it ramps up your immune response and it does indeed make those dealing with symptoms feel much better. Hoping your brother will benefit from that. Makes me feel much better myself.
YES! Go Xmann Go!!!
I did share your comments w my brother. Appreciate the consideration/advice.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Today I have good news from my doctor visit yesterday.

I'm still having chest discomfort, although it has become minimal at this point. My pcp still feels confident this is Costochondritis since she can palpitate specific areas and good some discomfort from me. I agree with her, but I have anxiety related to the condition of my lungs. We discussed this and she thinks it is reasonable at this point to get a followup chest cat scan. It has been 3 months since my diagnosis and a followup was a good idea anyhow.

She also ordered another nocturnal pulse ox study to see if i can come off the nightly oxygen. I get this done tonight and I should have the results tomorrow afternoon. Ready to be done with trying to sleep with it on.

I told her about the job interview for the nurse manager position I had a few weeks back and we discussed her thoughts on releasing me back in the wild (or to work, same thing really) . She feels that unless my CT comes back with something concerning, I can go back to work. At this point, I have no respiratory symptoms, other than O2 at night. My oxygen levels during the day are 95-97%, so a little residual effects from Covid might be there. However, there's little concern it won't be a good result.

At the end of my visit, she had a nice surprise from her. We paid a $1000 extra for her concierge service a few weeks ago because we felt it important to have as much assess to her as possible. Yesterday she told us she is refunding our payment and we can keep the concierge free of charge until the end of the year. We had a pretty special moment between her, my wife, and myself. We have felt since the start of this that she has been extraordinary to me and my plight. While hospitalized, she called my wife daily to get updates about my care. She also had my wife come in and see her while i was hospitalized to make sure she was ok as well. I told her how thankful we were for her care and for just truly having concern for my health. I've been around doctors for years and I have a good sense of those who care and those just going through the motions. My pcp cares and it's helped with my healing. Someone must have cut onions in there because we all were shedding some tears.

Still doing physical therapy, but only 2 days now. I have another speech therapy tomorrow and I'm hoping they will release me from them. I'm walking 2 miles in the morning and 2 miles in the afternoon. My doctor said she doesn't have an issue with me starting a run/walk program if my CT comes back ok. Having been a running for a number of years, this is exciting for me.

Lastly, the University of Tennessee did a nice article about my illness and recovery. I don't like the attention, but it nice to know people care.

https://www.utk.edu/volunteer_stories/f ... eer-spirit

I'll update again when i get my cat scan results.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hope its all clear for you X. I dont know how you stand that o2 attached to your face at night.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Glad to hear you're getting back to normal. Or getting to a good new normal.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Happy to hear the good news! :D
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Daehawk wrote:Hope its all clear for you X. I dont know how you stand that o2 attached to your face at night.
I can barely stand it. I wake up all night adjusting it and putting it back on because I take it off in my sleep. Hoping tonight is the last night of it.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I relate your story to every dipshit I hear who says they don't want to get the vaccine or think Covid isn't such a big deal.

Glad things are looking up for you!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's always good to be reminded that with all the assholes in the world who were glad to turn their back on you, there are people who choose to stand up for you, too.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Z-Corn wrote:I relate your story to every dipshit I hear who says they don't want to get the vaccine or think Covid isn't such a big deal.

Glad things are looking up for you!
Thank you. That's why I shared my story and why I agreed to do the news story.

If I can get deathly ill, anyone can.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Blackhawk wrote:It's always good to be reminded that with all the assholes in the world who were glad to turn their back on you, there are people who choose to stand up for you, too.
I cannot begin to tell you how thankful I am. My wife and I are focusing on the people and systems who are willing to help and not the other way round.

To give you an idea, my wife and I both have never spoken to my workers comp case manager. It's been 90 days. Never returned a call or answered an email. I refuse to let that woman dictate the care I need and deserve.

We've learned through this how wonderful people are and generally, most people are good and care. However, there are worthless individuals out there as well. I just don't give them any energy any longer. I'm using that energy for myself and my recovery.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Really glad to hear that you're progressing well in your recovery.
Black Lives Matter.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Sleep study shows I still need oxygen to sleep. Damnit!

My cat scan is Friday morning.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I got my cat scan results yesterday afternoon. I still have some pneumonia and pneumonitis. This is why I still need oxygen at night. She wants me to see a Pulmonologist.

The great news is there was no mention of fibrous scarring, which is what they saw in the scan while in the hospital. This is what has had me scared that I developed pulmonary fibrosis. No sign of this has been a huge relief. I honestly didn't know what I was going to do if they still saw this.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For some reason my mind associates CAT scans with the brain and I wondered how you had that in your head for a moment.

Glad to hear about the no scarring. Sorry about still having the newmonie. Still have it due to decreased movement or lung irritation this far out? Are you considered a long hauler at this point ?
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Daehawk wrote:For some reason my mind associates CAT scans with the brain and I wondered how you had that in your head for a moment.

Glad to hear about the no scarring. Sorry about still having the newmonie. Still have it due to decreased movement or lung irritation this far out? Are you considered a long hauler at this point ?
I guess that's why my doctor wants me to see a Pulmonologist. Good news is that the pneumonia is "faint", according to the report. Faint meaning that it's still there, but faint on the scan. The question is, will this eventually resolve. My doctor thinks, yes. Just the fact I have no scaring is reassuring to me.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Love all the great news, from improving health to a new job! Sounds wonderful!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Glad that you have a new diagnosis with a path to recovery. Not knowing what is going on is the worst.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Having yet to meet with the Pulmonologist, I feel pretty positive about the scan.

Common sense tells me that since pneumonia is faint compared to initial scan, it's healing and in time it will be gone.

I'm more curious about the pneumonitis and it's long term affects. Will this resolve after the pneumonia heals? Do I need steroids to assist in that healing process? I dunno.

Again, no signs of scaring is the best news possible, at least for me.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Xmann wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:38 pm Again, no signs of scaring is the best news possible, at least for me.
Definitely! That's great to hear. :clap:
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Didn't catch anything, but 3 months ago I wasn't sure if or when I'd be on my kayak again.Image
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Well, saw my PCP today so I have an update.

Physically, I feel great. Pretty close from before my illness. However, my cognition is a concern. Last Friday, I went to a job interview and I noticed some issues. I was very anxious, nervous, and my thoughts were scattered. During the interview itself, I could not concentrate and keep my thoughts organized. I didn't really think much of it and I chalked it up to normal interview anxiety (which I typically never have).

Sunday night I was filling out more job applications to get on top of things. I noticed I had some minor forgetfulness, frustration, and trouble staying on task. My wife had to look at my resume for dates and what not and help me complete applications. If I'm being honest with myself, I definitely have felt more anxious and trouble coping for a couple weeks or more now.

We shared these things with my MD and she made the decision to keep me on workers comp for the foreseeable future. She is concerned about the nature of my work and does not think I'm ready. I agree with her, but it's upsetting. #1. I just want to move on. My PCP says I just need more time and she can't in good faith release me for nursing. #2. My workers comp benefits are only about 30% of my normal wages. We have plenty of savings and won't be a burden to us, but I also did not want to burn through savings. Not sure how this will go. She also wants me to see a Neurologist to make sure she isn't overlooking anything. She said Neurologist consults are 6 months to get an appointment. Told her I'm glad I trust her.

So all in all, I'm doing good. Again, I feel great. If i could just get my brain fog to clear, I'd be golden.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sounds frustrating X. Maybe it will suddenly clear up soon.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

*Update*

This morning I finally had my first Pulmonary appointment. Overall, everything went well. He pulled up my cat scan from January while hospitalized and the followup from April. He showed how bad it looked in January and the improvement from April. He indeed sees much improvement, but there still remains inflammation. He commented that it doesn't look to him like it would lead to scarring. The fact that I continued to get better, he doesn't feel that is anything to worry about. He prescribed me Prednisone for a couple weeks to see if that will heal that inflammation a bit sooner. He also did pulmonary function testing (PFT's) and those are normal, yay!

I have noticed in the past 7-10 days my wording final, concentration, and multitasking has gotten worse. After speaking with my speech therapist yesterday, I fell my fatigue has exacerbated my "brain fog " I already have. I received my second vaccine shot 8 days ago and I think it has made me more tired than usual. I failed my nocturnal oxygen study and I think that is coming into play as well. I toss and turn and take the nasal cannula on and off all night. I wake up feeling exhausted on a daily basis. That in itself is more than likely making my cognition issues worse. Regardless, I'm still seeing speech on a weekly basis.

Last week my wife and I started back a running program. I was a runner before I was ill and this has been a goal of mine since I came home from the hospital. It's primarily walking and a little jogging, but I'm able to do it with no issues. As mentioned above, I received my second vaccine dose last week. That takes a huge amount of weight off my shoulders. I have also been able to load and unload my kayak and I am able to fish once again. The only big obstacle remaining is wearing oxygen at night. The pulmonologist basically said don't worry about needing to wear it and it's just going to take time to get off it. It just makes sleeping and getting rest awful. We love camping and having to keep a concentrater makes camping an issues. Lastly, my anxiety is still an issue. I have days where it's difficult to manage. I'm just trying to take things day by day at this point. Getting good news from the doctor this morning definitely helps my mental health.

So all in all, very positive visit this morning and I'm continuing to improve on a daily basis. I have a very set routine of supplements I take daily and I believe those are helping. However, I'm still ready to be beyond this illness.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im sorry to hear how it continues to drag out for you in some respects. Glad others are better. Are you taking something daily for the inflammation like Tylenol? I take it and Ibuprofen every day.

This drop in O2 at night has always left me wonder why. Is it because of laying down all night or something causing it to be lower than day?
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Daehawk wrote:Im sorry to hear how it continues to drag out for you in some respects. Glad others are better. Are you taking something daily for the inflammation like Tylenol? I take it and Ibuprofen every day.

This drop in O2 at night has always left me wonder why. Is it because of laying down all night or something causing it to be lower than day?
Drop in O2 is basically two fold. Still some lingering inflammation and the fact I'm lying down and not able to fully expand my lungs. During the day my oxygen levels are around 97-99%, pretty much close to normal. I was shocked and disappointed I failed the study last week.

I do not take Tylenol or Ibuprofen. I do take several supplements my doctor recommended and an inhaler. At far as the supplements, I honestly have no idea what is working and what is not. I'm progressing day by day so I don't want to stop any of them. I also drink tea twice a day that has antiinflammatory properties and I eat a clean diet of mainly fresh fruit and vegetables. Saturday is my cheat day where I drink and eat whatever I want and don't get guilty about it.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Local news did a follow up story with me today.

https://www.wbir.com/article/sports/for ... 768815ff35
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Looking good man! So glad to hear things keep improving. :)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Glad to see your positive report.

A few months ago I edited the Boston Globe's annual Salute to Nurses insert. I rewrote nomination letters submitted by patients and their families, nurses, hospital PR people -- anyone who wants to tell a story about a nurse anywhere in New England. My job is to make their letters understandable without losing the author's voice. We ordinarily get 400-500 letters about people's encounters with the medical system, of which (as you know very well) nurses are the face. This year we got 880. People had a lot of covid stories, and very few of them were happy.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like COVID has caused the hair on your face to break out. Cant they treat that!??? :)
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

So good seeing your recovery going well! <virtual hug>
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

^^^^
This