COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

FishPants
Server WhOOre

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by FishPants »

Today is my wife's birthday (Always a day to celebrate after what she's been through!) - and my 15 year old is getting her first Pfizer shot today, and my 12 year old is getting her Pfizer shot on Friday. Things are finally picking up steam, the jury is still out on my and my wife's second AZ shot. The more the government puts out "don't worry you will have a dose" makes me worried there won't be doses. Oh well, the perfect time for me based on my original vax is on my birthday in July -- hope they have some AZ doses available then.

Over 50% of Canadians are vaccinated now with a first dose, and secondary dose spread times are reducing as more inventory comes into the country. Good to see the demand is still there, and the anti-vax/mask/science crowds are smaller in Canada than what was represented on my facebook feed (WAS!).
No.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

God, this forum is overrun with Canadians.

#BuildTheDigitalWall
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm getting quotes for my backyard and even though I'm fully vaccinated I still put my mask on without question when I talk with the people. And I don't ask if they are vaccinated. It seems like a respectful, kind thing to do. If I meet with someone I don't know, I put my mask on. And it feels like asking people you don't know if they are vaccinated is rude and intrusive. So I put my mask on and both of us feel comfortable.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I saved the "I got vaccinated at [location]!" button from my second vaccination, so that if for whatever reason I need to go unmasked indoors at some point I will wear the button as a comfort to people. Not that I couldn't wear it if I weren't vaccinated but...just as a way to convey to people a representation that I'm vaccinated without having to tell everyone verbally.

Not sure if or when that'll come up, but I do have it.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:02 am ...I'm fully vaccinated I still put my mask on without question when I talk with the people. And I don't ask if they are vaccinated. It seems like a respectful, kind thing to do. If I meet with someone I don't know, I put my mask on. And it feels like asking people you don't know if they are vaccinated is rude and intrusive. So I put my mask on and both of us feel comfortable.

This is my attitude in general.

I made my mom sad last night when I invited her out to lunch next week and insisted we find a place with outdoor dining as I won't put her at risk. She replied that she is the one putting herself at risk and I said I can't contribute to increased likelihood of her getting sick. It's her choice but maybe this will help her choose to distance herself from the choices of others who aren't making me happy. :(
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:39 am God, this forum is overrun with Canadians.

#BuildTheDigitalWall
When the rapture happens and all the Canadians are gone from this forum, no one will like it anymore.

And considering the server resides in Canada, accessing it as often as you do may actually count toward Canadian residency requirements.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:52 am And considering the server resides in Canada, accessing it as often as you do may actually count toward Canadian residency requirements.
reallly? I could make the jump to a Windsor suburb or London and be alright with that.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Lol, you move to London and my parents could rent you their guest house.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

FishPants wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:00 am Good to see the demand is still there, and the anti-vax/mask/science crowds are smaller in Canada than what was represented on my facebook feed (WAS!).
Yeah, it's comforting to see much demand. I still see anti-mask rallies being organized in my area and being charged for not following lockdown rules, but for the most part, people are doing the right thing, and it appear we're vigilant here.
El Guapo wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:39 am God, this forum is overrun with Canadians.

#BuildTheDigitalWall
And yet the pandemic is global.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My current way of thinking is:

- Business posts no masks required if vaccinated, I'll go maskless IF it's not crowded
- Business posts masks are required, I wear a mask
- Business has no sign saying what they are requiring, I wear a mask
- If I'm with the kids, I wear a mask - they're still required to do so and I don't want to make them feel I'm asking them to do something I'm not willing to do

NC is currently a bit of a crapshoot. They lifted the mandatory mask requirements for most businesses, but some businesses are still requiring them. The ones that aren't it's all on the honor system, so given the number of maskless people I see walking around NC is nearly 100% vaccinated. :lol:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Lorini wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:02 am I'm getting quotes for my backyard and even though I'm fully vaccinated I still put my mask on without question when I talk with the people. And I don't ask if they are vaccinated. It seems like a respectful, kind thing to do. If I meet with someone I don't know, I put my mask on. And it feels like asking people you don't know if they are vaccinated is rude and intrusive. So I put my mask on and both of us feel comfortable.
Exactly this is why my wife and I wear our masks most places, we feel it is being respectful to others.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's payback for the War of 1812... :horse:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Max Peck wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:05 pm
It's payback for the War of 1812... :horse:
Hey you got to burn the White House so dont complain. :)

New news.....

Immunity to the Coronavirus May Persist for Years, Scientists Find

Important immune cells survive in the bone marrow of people who were infected with the virus or were inoculated against it, new research suggests.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

YellowKing wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:17 pm My current way of thinking is:

- Business posts no masks required if vaccinated, I'll go maskless IF it's not crowded
- If I'm with the kids, I wear a mask - they're still required to do so and I don't want to make them feel I'm asking them to do something I'm not willing to do

NC is currently a bit of a crapshoot. They lifted the mandatory mask requirements for most businesses, but some businesses are still requiring them. The ones that aren't it's all on the honor system, so given the number of maskless people I see walking around NC is nearly 100% vaccinated. :lol:
I have a federal job and the buildings are now posted with signs saying if you have had the vaccine shots you may go without a mask. But in a week I have yet to see anyone go without a mask. I know I am in pretty close contact with people because I am involved in training so I will probably leave mine on for a while yet.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This is pretty close to what I'm going to be doing.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:55 pm
This is pretty close to what I'm going to be doing.
@YK
Your bullet point is a bit ambiguous, but I will go with the flow of your post and assume you are saying you would enter this crowded 'no mandate' business - but with a mask.

Like Blackhawk, this is pretty close to my disposition - but I want to point out that it's important to remember the science here.

The masks were never designed to keep 'me' safe. It was about admitting we should mitigate one random person's chance (that unknowingly had the virus) of spreading the virus to the rest of us - and realizing I could be that one random person...

In a (even relatively) crowded indoor space, if I saw a lot of people maskless -- I'm Out.

Being vaccinated, me being masked is almost entirely symbolic and perhaps the value is only in reminding (? providing cover ? ) for the unvaccinated to also wear a mask.

The mask is about to become a strange thing... (folks that cannot get the vaccine, aside...) but the mask is about to be worn in public just by people that are vaccinated and still care about others - and they will be ostracized as the bad guy.

I hope that masks are still a mandated thing on planes and mass-transportation... as that seems like the most obvious place we need to all get behind the idea of curbing transmission between the unvaccinated.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unagi wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:10 pm In a (even relatively) crowded indoor space, if I saw a lot of people maskless -- I'm Out.
I'd get hungry, and fast. There isn't a grocery store, drug store, or anywhere else I'd be able to go.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The Publix supermarkets in our area were very quick last year to implement mandatory masks for their employees and since then you'd almost never see one without a mask in place, although sometimes (rarely) they would have pulled it down to sip a drink or just for a break off in a corner somewhere. However, last week Publix implemented a policy that if an employee is two weeks past their last shot and they show their card to their supervisors they could be OK'ed to go without a mask at work. Yesterday was the first time we've been in a Publix since then and about two third of the employees were maskless, rather odd to see but understandable especially since Publix was aggressive in making sure that their own pharmacies provided vaccinations for employees as soon as they were allowed.

We're still wearing masks out of respect for others although I have to say I'm tempted to slip it off at times. Oddly enough my wife, who was very reluctant to wear a mask until Dr Fauci said to do it, is now so comfortable with mask wearing that she'll not even realize she has it on and will ride in the car wearing it till I insist she take it off since it muffles her voice. Well, and also she has a series of masks that match the outfit she is wearing :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Considering my complete absence of hay fever symptoms this year, a mask of some sort may be a part of my spring fashion ensemble going forward.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Max Peck wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:41 pm Considering my complete absence of hay fever symptoms this year, a mask of some sort may be a part of my spring fashion ensemble going forward.
Good for you allergies have been bad for me this year.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Just got Pfizered at a municipal arena. They felt the need to put a band-aid on my arm for some reason. At the exit there was a board where you could stick a post-it describing your experience. Most of them said something to the effect of, "Didn't feel a thing!" or "Thank you guys, we love you!"

I wrote, "I felt a little like a cow being herded through an abattoir by very polite slaughterhands. Except at the end, instead of murder/hamburgers, there was happiness!" I didn't want to go out on such a high note, but I felt like it would get taken down otherwise. It probably will anyway.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apparently the cool new trick is to fill up the clinic with vaccinees, then have the staff go to them instead of the other way around.

Made-in-Canada solution: 'Hockey hub' vaccine clinics are getting the job done faster
There's a new — and distinctly Canadian — way to run a COVID-19 vaccine clinic, and it's getting the job done faster and more efficiently, say public health workers.

The "hockey hub model," designed with big spaces such as arenas in mind, turns the usual delivery of care upside down so vaccinators can administer more doses, said Bethany Lee, a communications manager for Peel Region, a part of the Greater Toronto Area hit the hardest by COVID-19.

"Folks will come in, they will queue up, and then they will be directed to a seat. Once they're seated, all of the services come to them," she told White Coat, Black Art host Dr. Brian Goldman at a 32-hour clinic dubbed Doses after Dark.

"By minimizing the movement of the resident who's receiving the vaccination, it helps us get more needles in arms. It's better for the staff and it's actually a really good, calm experience for the resident who is getting vaccinated."
The hockey hub is the brainchild of Dr. Ian Arra, medical officer of health and CEO of Grey Bruce Health Unit in Owen Sound, Ont. It's now been implemented in at least six Ontario health regions, as well as some parts of Manitoba and Alberta. He's also received an inquiry from an official in New Zealand.

At full speed, a 10-hour clinic with just five vaccinators can immunize up to 4,500 people in a day, with each vaccinator administering 70 to 90 shots per hour, said Arra. In traditional clinics, on the other hand, each vaccinator handles between six and 10 people per hour.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Our work just switched to voluntary office/home. No permission is needed to enter. Will be interesting to see how many return and how they do it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sudy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:53 pm Just got Pfizered at a municipal arena. They felt the need to put a band-aid on my arm for some reason. At the exit there was a board where you could stick a post-it describing your experience. Most of them said something to the effect of, "Didn't feel a thing!" or "Thank you guys, we love you!"

I wrote, "I felt a little like a cow being herded through an abattoir by very polite slaughterhands. Except at the end, instead of murder/hamburgers, there was happiness!" I didn't want to go out on such a high note, but I felt like it would get taken down otherwise. It probably will anyway.
I wonder how cheerful those notes would be if written the next day?

I had zero issues day of either my 2 Moderna shots. It was the next day that my shoulder felt like Hammerin' Hank took his Louisville slugger to my arm.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

My shoulder's already sore, but I mean, I get the same thing from flu shots. I can't imagine complaining about this. If I start getting flu-like symptoms on the other hand, I'm going to be annoyed (but still grateful to have the shot).

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yesterday one of my online friends said he got his 2nd shot and nothing but a sore arm. Today he says he is horribly sick and shaking with teeth chattering and lack of sleep.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:45 pm
Max Peck wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:41 pm Considering my complete absence of hay fever symptoms this year, a mask of some sort may be a part of my spring fashion ensemble going forward.
Good for you allergies have been bad for me this year.
To give you an idea how bad the pollen has been here, I took Warren to the vet on Monday because he was sneezing violently, his eyes were red-rimmed and mostly closed, and he felt so bad he just slept all day and almost stopped eating. They gave him some kitty Benadryl and now he's back to being a little dick.

I will probably always mask up outdoors when I have to mow the lawn or do yard work. Pollen, dust, and mold make the outdoors toxic all not-winter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:09 pm I will probably always mask up outdoors when I have to mow the lawn or do yard work. Pollen, dust, and mold make the outdoors toxic all not-winter.
That may be in may very well be in my future.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The tree pollen here has been terrible this year. I had to supplement my usual allergy medication for the first time last week.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Scuzz wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:04 pmI have a federal job and the buildings are now posted with signs saying if you have had the vaccine shots you may go without a mask. But in a week I have yet to see anyone go without a mask. I know I am in pretty close contact with people because I am involved in training so I will probably leave mine on for a while yet.
My employer just announced that starting late next week, any employee who voluntarily disclosed that they have been vaccinated will be issued a special badge. The badge exempts you from required masking, social distancing, and daily health check-ins although only in states where that's allowed.

For the last year I've been in the habit of wearing my mask everywhere on company property, except when I am eating lunch (in my own cubicle). Lately I've taken it off a little more while in my cubicle, but always put it back on when I have guests. It may take a while before I'm willing to expand that any further.

I'm curious to see which of my known maskhole cow-orkers end up with the special badges. Some of my friends and I are expecting people to lie about their status, since the company is only asking you to state which vaccine you got & when, but not provide any evidence.
Conform or be cast out!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

one of my co-workers is in the hospital with COVID. She had her 2nd shot but was not past the 2 weeks. I hung around with her at her granddaughters softball game last week, she wasn't wearing a mask and she talked for 2 hours straight. She probably sprayed me with the virus but I'm fine a week later. I'm wearing my mask again though so I don't spread anything just in case...

Doctor's said she was lucky she at least had both vaccines although they hadn't taken full affect, she'd probably be on oxygen right now. Instead her potassium drops and her blood pressure skyrockets, and has an annoying cough. Not good but not as bad as it could have been.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Lassr wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:04 pm Doctor's said she was lucky she at least had both vaccines although they hadn't taken full affect, she'd probably be on oxygen right now. Instead her potassium drops and her blood pressure skyrockets, and has an annoying cough. Not good but not as bad as it could have been.
I believe I heard that the gubmint is no longer tracking breakthrough cases unless they lead to hospitalization and/or death, because most of them have been mild or asymptomatic. Your coworker's lucky because she counts!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Hrdina wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:39 pm
Scuzz wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:04 pmI have a federal job and the buildings are now posted with signs saying if you have had the vaccine shots you may go without a mask. But in a week I have yet to see anyone go without a mask. I know I am in pretty close contact with people because I am involved in training so I will probably leave mine on for a while yet.
My employer just announced that starting late next week, any employee who voluntarily disclosed that they have been vaccinated will be issued a special badge. The badge exempts you from required masking, social distancing, and daily health check-ins although only in states where that's allowed.

For the last year I've been in the habit of wearing my mask everywhere on company property, except when I am eating lunch (in my own cubicle). Lately I've taken it off a little more while in my cubicle, but always put it back on when I have guests. It may take a while before I'm willing to expand that any further.

I'm curious to see which of my known maskhole cow-orkers end up with the special badges. Some of my friends and I are expecting people to lie about their status, since the company is only asking you to state which vaccine you got & when, but not provide any evidence.
People in my office will take off their masks at their desks. Most of the desks face walls so that shouldn't be a problem. But I have now worn a mask long enough at work that the idea of wearing it a little longer doesn't sound like a terrible thing.

I do expect a lot of people to go maskless in public and if somehow challenged to lie about having been vaccinated. Hopefully if they get sick it is a mild case.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In an enclosed space like an office Id worry more about the AC system recycling the air with the virus in it blowing it throughout the office.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Interesting.... St. Pete concert tickets $18, $999 without vaccination
PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. — Concertgoers who can prove they have the Covid-19 vaccine will get a $981 discount on their ticket to a show in June in St. Pete. The band Teenage Bottlerocket is performing at the VFW Post 39 on Central Avenue June 26 at 7 p.m. The tickets are $18 if you can prove you have both doses of Moderna, Pfizer or the one dose of Johnson and Johnson. If you can’t prove you’re vaccinated, those tickets are $999.99. Teenage Bottlerocket Bass Player Miguel Chen said the vaccine pricing was the promoter’s idea. “This one particular promoter in St. Pete had this idea that tickets would be $999 or if you show proof of vaccination, $18,” Chen said. “We really wanted to leave it up to each promoter to do what they think is best and to try and hold a show safely and he came up with idea and we backed it.”

Chen said he wondered about the rules in Florida when it comes to proof of vaccination. Governor Ron DeSantis’ order banning vaccine passports doesn’t seem to apply to events like this. This event isn’t barring anyone from attending. They’re giving a discounted ticket for those who have the vaccine and can prove it. “The way he (the promoter) kind of described it to me is he was like it’s like Krispy Kreme or Dunkin donuts or whatever giving you a free donut or a discount if you show your vaccination card,” Chen said.

As you can imagine the band has gotten mixed reviews. "We’ve gotten a lot of hate mail. A lot of very angry people,” Chen said. “And I think a lot of people boycotting our shows who had never heard of our band or would never come to our show to begin with.”

For those who do support the band, the ticket discount was music to their ears. “From people in our scene and in the punk rock community who know us and are familiar with our band, a lot of love and support,” Chen said. They say this is their only show where the vaccine discount is being given.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Just in case anyone has lingering doubts about whether vaccination works:

Brazil Covid: Deaths plunge after town's adults vaccinated
A Brazilian town has seen a 95% drop in Covid-19 deaths after almost all adults were vaccinated as part of an experiment, researchers say.

Serrana, with 45,000 inhabitants, saw cases plunge after a mass vaccination with the Chinese-developed CoronaVac.

The team said those who had not been vaccinated were also protected by the reduction in the virus's circulation.

The findings suggest the pandemic can be controlled after 75% of people are fully dosed.
The experiment in Serrana, in the south-eastern São Paulo state, was carried out between February and April by Instituto Butantan, which produces the CoronaVac vaccine developed by China's Sinovac Biotech.

The city was divided into four areas to help determine the threshold for containing the virus. The team said this was achieved after three areas, or about 75% of the population over the age of 18, had been given both doses.

When 95% of adults were fully vaccinated, they said the results showed that:
  • Deaths fell by 95%
  • Hospitalisations fell by 86%
  • Symptomatic cases fell by 80%
Ricardo Palacios, research director at Butantan, said the key figure was the 75%.

"The most important result is that we can control the pandemic without having to vaccinate the whole population," he said.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Too many folk here in the USA have been dosed with kool-aid so it'll never work here.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Got my first dose tonight. The nurse was so gentle I hadn't even realized she had done it. But I got preferred treatment and got sent to the back to the arena where they had beds setup when I told them I tend to get involuntary nervous reactions to needles, ie I break out in a sweat and get little lightheaded whenever I get one, so I usually tell them up front, and apparently there's a name for this, some type of syndrome that I can't remember. Anyway, I'm happy. My next one will be in late September.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Milestone: Ate lunch outdoors at a restaurant.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:39 pm Milestone: Ate lunch outdoors at a restaurant.
We ate out at a place we hadn't be to in nearly a year and half last night. Damn that was nice. Nothing fancy, just good food in a loud setting with other people. Even the wife is starting to get comfortable with it. Then we hit a local brewery for a beer before going home. :D
Black Lives Matter