Whatcha Stocking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Whatcha Stocking?

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:46 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:59 am I ended up removing close to half of everything I had stored due to expiration dates that have either recently passed, or will in the next month. That goes into regular circulation (while some stuff might be stale, there's nothing that will spoil if it's a bit past the date.)
Expiration dates on food are nonsense; it's a quality issue not a safety issue. Unless you have stuff in cans that are bulging, dented or leaking, they're fine, assuming you're not storing the canned goods at high temperature (like in an attic). Canned meats are likely safe for ~36-48 months after the listed expiration date, possibly longer depending on the person you're talking to and the way they were held.

Packages of other shelf-stable dry goods? I wouldn't be worried about them.
I know - expiration dates are largely a marketing tool. I left quite a few expired dry goods (mashed potato flakes, flour, etc) in the storage, and removed some items where I thought spoilage might be an issue (olive oil, kraut, juice), or where excessive staleness would likely set in. We didn't shop for two years - we shopped for six months. Had we known it would be two years, we'd have picked a few different things.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess I was just suggesting that 90% of what you have is likely fine, even more if you don't have the delicate palettes of the people I live with. All of the stuff I started purchasing in February/March is still sitting around and I anticipate using it over the next ~4-5 months. Honestly, if you're able to stay in your home for ~14 days without leaving, you're likely more prepared than 95% of Americans at this point. In truth, the best thing anyone can do is make sure they're not in a position where they *need* to leave their house, particularly if there's panic or chaos.

But yes, I do think things are likely to get much worse over the next 60 days, possibly longer. Not advocating for hoarding but I would make sure you're prepared *at a minimum* to be able to not leave for at least 7 days, ideally closer to 10 and it sounds like your supplies are at that point right now.

It's definitely a delicate balance. I've just been adding a few extra items to my regular weekly pickups to try an account for perhaps needing to switch to food shopping every 2-3 weeks instead of every week. I'm just trying to avoid the *need* to go out and at this point, and I think I've achieved that.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember all the saved stuff we had to eat after Y2K. Did make for smaller grocery bills then tho.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've been maintaining my hoard since spring and rotating out the older stuff...but most of the expire dates are in '22 and '23, and if I've learned anything from The Walking Dead, stuff like beans and tomato products last nearly forever anyway. We could live for at least a month on pasta and grains if we need to. Probably ought to lay in some raw foods like potatoes and onions next week, though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If I actually got around to cooking all of the hardtack I've got the stuff for, I could probably double how long we could go on what we have.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Because of a menu planning snafu caused by xmas being moved from thursday, when I thought it was, to friday, when everyone else insists it is, I had to make a grocery run today. I ordinarily schedule my shops to avoid crowds, so the market was more crowded today than I've seen it since the pandemic began, and there were some spot shortages. Like, I seldom buy meat, but needed ground beef and pork for meatloaf, and they had only beef. The butcher said there was no more ground pork, but he did have some meatloaf blend, which includes ground veal, which eww, but I bought it anyway. Bacon was also nearly completely sold out, for some reason.

I relate this story because I saw something else that I haven't seen since the pandemic began -- shoppers with small children in tow. Like, a lot of small children. One of the first things grocers did last spring was try to limit shoppers to one person per household, and it worked -- people left their little germ bags at home and shopped alone. I imagine it was easy to do that because all the parents were grounded, so childcare was easy. But for whatever reason -- people going back to work, maybe? -- that seems to be over. Moms are bringing their disease vectors along again.

If I come down with covid in the next week, there'll be no question where it came from.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So I'm discovering that I am getting to the point where I am running out of things. I also am discovering that I probably had way too much of things.

Off the top of my head, after 10 months, I am getting toward the end of bar soap, laundry detergent, dish detergent, tooth paste, deodorant, tooth brushes. All things I just bought instinctively when they are on deep sale. None of which I would dare take time to shop for when so many of my fellow shoppers have adapted to have no awareness of or regard for their surroundings, I have to wonder how much money I am going to spend to refill all of things back to my pre covid hoarder levels when that day comes. It's looking increasingly likely that will be at a time of inflation. Today I bought a loaf of bread on the way home from the office to take the 2nd half of the day at home. My normally ultra cheap $.85 loaf of bread is now a $1.39 loaf of bread. I feel so badly for those who are suffering.

I found this today

https://www.foodpantries.org/

https://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/

I think I need to send something.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:56 pm My normally ultra cheap $.85 loaf of bread is now a $1.39 loaf of bread. I feel so badly for those who are suffering.

I found this today

https://www.foodpantries.org/

https://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/

I think I need to send something.
Asset inflation for the rich, price inflation for the poor.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I did not hoard for the entire time I was in isolation. The week I am allowed to out with reasonable precaution? The grocer is mostly bare and prices are going up again. I am likely to start over buying in fears of continued price increases and lack of being able to count on staples being on the shelf.

$44 for what was a $25 shop this time last year. Ouch. I truly feel for those who make less.

Also, stocked up on ground Pork and assorted canned beans precisely because they were in stock and haven't been subject to price increase.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anti GOP pills.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"