[AMC] Fear The Walking Dead - IT’S OVER!!!!!!!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rittchard

[AMC] Fear The Walking Dead - IT’S OVER!!!!!!!

Post by rittchard »

I noticed there was a sub-category for AMC and I haven't seen a dedicated thread for FTWD (maybe it's inside the old TWD one?) so I thought this deserved it's own dedicated discussion. Hopefully I'm not the sole viewer.

This show has been largely uneven over the years and has had its struggle finding its own voice apart from TWD. The show hardly resembles the feel it had when it started at all, with only 2 (well actually 3) of the original characters still remaining, and much of the intermediate cast killed off as well. They've brought in a whole new set of characters, as well as porting Morgan from TWD over, and frankly the show is more a spinoff of itself at this point.

This season felt like it might start off really strong, and for the most part I'm cautiously optimistic it will be at least significantly better than last year's hurricane-centric and lame dirty lady villain-based mess. The opening has most of the new team surviving a plane crash and helping out a pair of cute kids. The little one is super cute (he's the little brother of that little Alexandria monster that got mangled), and they open the show with a deer hunting scene reminiscent of season 2 Carl. They've got some good action sequences, and it reminded me of that era when they split the X-Men into two teams, with this being the experienced "A" team with most of the characters I liked. But after the opening fun settles down, we run into the TWD universe's worst enemy: bad writing.
Spoiler:
YET AGAIN, our crew of supposedly hardened survivors is not just tricked and betrayed, but MASSIVELY bitch slapped and backstabbed.
This is the same gang that has been tricked multiple times, as well as Morgan who should really know better after his seasons on TWD. Even the little kids were smart enough to smell a trap. But noooooo.... somehow they are tricked yet again into splitting their resources and taking a massive gamble in the name of trying to help people that they have never met and have no idea whether they are trustworthy. I like the thought/idea, and I suspect by season's end they will start to bear some fruit, but it's gotta be written in a smarter way.

Then after that, YET AGAIN we have one of our crew going off on their own and then getting captured. WTF, how many times does this have to happen? Why can't they have a buddy up rule? There is just no excuse for this shoddy behavior, especially for characters that have both witnessed and experienced this kind of thing. Ugh. I realize it's necessary to advance the storyline, but come on. Take a minute to make it make sense and be consistent for these characters.
And with that rant over, I still have high hopes for the season. Some things that have been announced or mentioned in Talking Dead:

- Salazar is returning. I never loved him but he's definitely a fun add
- Dwight is joining. Also not one of my favorites, but an interesting addition for sure
- Radiation?!? The producers implied zombies that are radiation hardened or mutated or something, should be cool
- Weird symbol. Producers also said the symbol shown was the same one that was on the helicopter that took Rick. Since TWD has already advanced into the future, it seems like Fear may have more tie-in with the upcoming movies.
Last edited by rittchard on Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kraken

Re: [AMC] Fear The Walking Dead - Season 5

Post by Kraken »

I haven't watched the season opener yet. Was surprised that it came back. I thought it died a quiet death after that last lame season. Assuming that my DVR slurped it up, I'll give it a chance eventually.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m now at a point in life that I can immediately recognize Matt Frewer just by the back of his head.
Covfefe!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I'm still watching. This does look better than the lame ass hurricane scene from last year.

I also agree about their gullibility...they keep spitting in Darwin's face. I understand why they do it, per Morgan's speech, but ya gotta get smarter about it or your not long for this world...except for the writers keeping them alive.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Tonight Wife asked "what do we have to watch?" I replied "another Dark Matter disc, those old movies I recorded off TCM...and, oh yeah, FTWD is back." We watched an old movie. (BTW, Gentleman's Agreement is truly worth two hours of your life.)
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

hepcat wrote:I’m now at a point in life that I can immediately recognize Matt Frewer just by the back of his head.
LoL. I turned to Mrs tjg and said, is that max headroom? She said yes. Then he turned around and sure enough. He's like what Eugene Levy is for eyebrows.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
naednek

Post by naednek »

After watching Chernobyl on HBO and seeing last night's FWD episode, I kept thinking, man they really do not know nothing about radiation and nuclear meltdowns.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What’s there to know? You get exposed to radiation, you develop super powers. Everyone know that.
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:27 pm What’s there to know? You get exposed to radiation, you develop super powers. Everyone know that.
Yeah I was bummed those radiated zombies didn't seem to get any special powers or anything. All they got was some gross puss bubbles. I thought they would be super strong or hard to kill or something, oh well.

The second ep was kind of flat. OK all in all but just not much to talk about. Was hoping they would progress much faster. I know they do this for their own reasons but I'm kind of sick of having the team split apart and then waiting til the very last episode til they get to group together. The promo shows the whole cast together in a circle and it's really cool, I'd love to see more of that in the actual show.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

(Plenty of Spoilers follow. Since it doesn't seem like many are watching the show, I'm going to go back to my old format of not splitting my comments between spoiler and not). If this bothers the few people reading this thread, let me know and I'm happy to just spoiler the whole post.)

Episode 3 Comments:

While the writers yet again have our heroes make inane choices based on their past experiences, Ep 3 was largely forgiven and enjoyable as it focused on arguably the best character on the show at the moment, John Dorie. His character has been one of the few good things about the show, and he continues to shine as an out of place romantic cowboy in this crazy zombie universe. This isn't to say he isn't subject to making the same inane choices the writers subject all of them to. Yet again they split their forces up and go blindly into unknown territory, this time marked by zombies that are chained together by their entrails. It just doesn't seem like a good idea, does it? They go off looking for their lost comrade and then get distracted trying to save the cute kids from Ep 1, etc. - but anyway who cares, that wasn't the point. The important thing is John and Dharma get shot at and end up running to a fake Old West town (amusement park?) from a chain that he used to work at. Convenient! Also the owners left all their weapons there, woohoo! Then they keep getting shot at, but instead of eliminating the threat they decide they want to help him. WTF seriously? OK OK the kicker is the audience, presuming they are TWD fans, are aware that the shooter is none other than.... Dwight! So as fans we are really rooting for him and the crossover, but based on everything they've been through, does it really make any sense to risk your life to help someone who has just tried to kill you twice? But who cares, it still makes for fun TV, multiple action sequences, and we get some good stuff with John feeling guilty that things seem to keep going his way since finding the love of his life, and Dharma using her past suicidal tendencies to talk Dwight down from the proverbial cliff.

They move the plot along quickly, thankfully, and before you know it the others have caught up and we get our big TWD reunion between Morgan and Dwight. Unfortunately I really don't remember what their interaction was before but at minimum it leads to a comparison of which roads they each took to get from Virginia to Texas.

So then our group assembles and looks pretty cool as they prepare to infiltrate the mysterious bad guys' inner circle. They come across the kids' vehicle and the little cutie is all bloody, oh no!!!!! And just as we are digesting, the big reveal: it's the other two kids doing all this crazy shit. How these little twerps are able to kill this many zombies and then capture a bunch as well and tie them together with their entrails is beyond me, but oh well. Clearly they aren't the big bad of the season, but it will be interesting to see how this unfolds. Oh, and btw, yet again has this bunch been betrayed by people they were intending to help lol. They seriously never learn.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Missed Ep 4 review, nothing too much to report. I thought it was an OK moving forward of the plotlines from what I recall.

Last night was an Al-centric ep, and I thought it worked really well. It reminded me a lot of some older show, I'm having trouble recalling what though, where they totally focus on just one character in the ensemble the entire episode. Maybe Lost? Certainly TWD has done it as well, but generally has a B plot going on as well. This ep didn't move the main plot forward until basically the last minute, which gave them the time to do a really nice stand alone story. The writers do seem to do better when they can focus on 1 or 2 characters, and this episode was a good showcase for her, as well as the other actress they added in. Hopefully we will see more of her story in future episodes and/or the movies.

Not too big of a surprise/reveal at the end, but I'm glad they finally gave the personal story some love. Let's be honest, they gave her that haircut for a reason, right? I like how they didn't just jump right into it, but there was definitely a good chemistry/vibe between the ladies from the getgo. I was a little confused about the tapes but I guess it really didn't matter too much, that wasn't the point. All in all one of the better Fear episodes, and a great showcase for Maggie Grace.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Al must be able to find a hairstylist wherever she goes in this new world.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

rittchard wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:36 pm The writers do seem to do better when they can focus on 1 or 2 characters,
Agreed, or when they keep the core group together for a team story. With the addition of that gaggle of children I'm concerned that we're heading for another cast of thousands, like TWD devolved into for awhile, where characters whose names you don't remember are still around because they had a storyline three years earlier. Gotta cull the herd now and then, not keep growing it.

I enjoyed this week's episode and look forward to learning more about the mysterious military group.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I read an article a few weeks ago that summed it up for me. The show WAS heading down the right path for a while when they seemed to be veering towards a story about how someone like the governor or Negan could arise from the ashes of someone like Madison. Someone who started off with the noble intention of protecting their loved ones at all cost...even when those costs seemed to grow exponentially and less ethical.

But then they did a complete wipe, decided to just make a clone of The Walking Dead and made the main group altruistic and wonderful. They even brought in their own version of Superman in Garrett Dillahunt, a man who stands for Truth, Justice and the American Way (don't get me wrong, Garrett Dillahunt isn't the problem. 90 percent of television would benefit from a Dillahunt appearance, the man is a character actor God who can do very little wrong in my book...but his character shouldn't be in this world).

I still watch it because...well...Dillahunt. But man, it had such potential.
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:21 pm I read an article a few weeks ago that summed it up for me. The show WAS heading down the right path for a while when they seemed to be veering towards a story about how someone like the governor or Negan could arise from the ashes of someone like Madison. Someone who started off with the noble intention of protecting their loved ones at all cost...even when those costs seemed to grow exponentially and less ethical.

But then they did a complete wipe, decided to just make a clone of The Walking Dead and made the main group altruistic and wonderful. They even brought in their own version of Superman in Garrett Dillahunt, a man who stands for Truth, Justice and the American Way (don't get me wrong, Garrett Dillahunt isn't the problem. 90 percent of television would benefit from a Dillahunt appearance, the man is a character actor God who can do very little wrong in my book...but his character shouldn't be in this world).

I still watch it because...well...Dillahunt. But man, it had such potential.
Oh man that's a real bummer to hear. While I didn't love Madison, that would have been an awesome story arc for her to go on, and the show definitely suffered when they wrote her off. There was a ton of potential still out there. But wait... they can still do it!!! We never actually saw her die, so they can make it so somehow she's in charge of the 3-ring people. That would be a fantastic twist. Who cares if it makes sense, just say she lost her memory or whatever. Have half her face be burned off but those people saved her and she eventually took over and she's a super ruthless leader trying to rebuild humanity at any cost.

And this way we still get to keep Garrett!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Wow, this ep got blasted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2 ... 7651c73911

and frankly I can't say much differently to defend it, or the series.

They've actually put together a pretty strong and interesting ensemble cast, but they just don't seem to know what to do with any of them. I suspect a part of this is due to resources and talent being sucked over to work on the movies, and perhaps even being stymied by not wanting to reveal elements that will be shown in the movies. Either that or they've kind of just run dry on ideas. TWD was faltering as well, and the whole franchise is starting to smell of over-extension and mis-management.

I wish I could go in and take over the entire thing. I would stop the movies, gut/combine both shows' casts and just work on one show. Bring back Rick and Maggie and have Madison be the new Big Bad (see earlier discussion).

Then I would do an alternate timeline show where Rick died, and Shane survived. So that show would feature Shane, Laurie and Carl.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

rittchard wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:30 pm Wow, this ep got blasted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2 ... 7651c73911

and frankly I can't say much differently to defend it, or the series.

They've actually put together a pretty strong and interesting ensemble cast, but they just don't seem to know what to do with any of them. I suspect a part of this is due to resources and talent being sucked over to work on the movies, and perhaps even being stymied by not wanting to reveal elements that will be shown in the movies. Either that or they've kind of just run dry on ideas. TWD was faltering as well, and the whole franchise is starting to smell of over-extension and mis-management.

I wish I could go in and take over the entire thing. I would stop the movies, gut/combine both shows' casts and just work on one show. Bring back Rick and Maggie and have Madison be the new Big Bad (see earlier discussion).

Then I would do an alternate timeline show where Rick died, and Shane survived. So that show would feature Shane, Laurie and Carl.
Agree, that had to of been one of the worse episodes, I kept thinking I hope there is a core meltdown before they can escape. Show has some interesting characters but this is just a mess when it comes to the scripts they are developing.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

I fell asleep and wished I watched Stranger Things Season 3 instead.
naednek

Post by naednek »

The whole thing about the crew rebuilding a plan is the so stupid and so unbelievable.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

World: How could anyone make a boring show about a world filled with zombies?

FWD: Hold my beer.

I remember a one line review for a horror film years ago that has stuck with me due to how devastating it must have been for the makers of said film. It simply read, "This is the most relaxing horror film I've ever seen.".

That's what FWD has become for me.
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Last night's ep was a little better than the previous one, it's almost like they realized how bad it was and decided to apologize. Not saying the show is suddenly good but it's serviceable considering there's not much else on right now.

(Spoilers follow from here)

Case in point, John does a complete flop from his withholding information from last week. It was out of character for him last week, so this week's writers were like, hey let's fix that. Similar fixing with other stupid plot lines like the kids and the radiation lady being so annoyingly stubborn. Then they teleport the others over along with the propellers and Morgan seems to be able to teleport wherever he feels like. Of course none of it makes much sense but this allowed them to move the main "plot" (use this word loosely) forward to hopefully fast forward past this.

In the mean time, they had Alicia go wild again and slaughter a ton of zombies, which is always fun to watch. But... have they decided to kill her off? She got splashed with radiated blood so it's certainly implied. I don't know if this show can (or should) survive killing off the last original cast member.

Best case scenario: the plane crashes right on top of the remaining cast members as well and everyone but Maggie Grace dies. Fade to black, FTWD series ends. She heads off to find her girlfriend and joins Rick (and hopefully Michonne and Maggie) with the circle people. Oh wait, they can also save that cute kid Dylan so he can be developed as the new Carl.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Strand and the great Ruben Blades are the last original cast members. Granted, Blades is kind of in cameo mode these days.
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:59 pm Strand and the great Ruben Blades are the last original cast members. Granted, Blades is kind of in cameo mode these days.
Oh yeahhhh!! Was Strand actually in the first episodes though? I thought he came at the very end but I really don't remember.

Also, not that realism is important, but if you get the blood of someone who was irradiated on you, does that immediately imply you are going to die? Obviously the writers can (and will) do whatever they want, but is that a general assumption?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He first appeared in the fifth episode of season 1, according to the FtWD wiki. Not sure if that qualifies as "original cast", but I always view him that way. Blades is definitely original cast. But I'm just surprised that they were able to hang onto Ruben Blades as long as they did. That man has so many irons in so many different fires, I'm surprised he has time to do TV.
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:43 pm He first appeared in the fifth episode of season 1, according to the FtWD wiki. Not sure if that qualifies as "original cast", but I always view him that way. Blades is definitely original cast. But I'm just surprised that they were able to hang onto Ruben Blades as long as they did. That man has so many irons in so many different fires, I'm surprised he has time to do TV.
In an episode with incredibly predictable and poorly written moments, Ruben Blades does a nice short stint and was really the highlight for me. Not that I was a huge fan or anything, but it's the first time I felt anything resembling caring this season when he hugs Alicia, and I was happy that they brought him back to save the crew. But aside from that, much of it was a mess; they even managed to find a way to make Garret Dillahunt seem lame during his super awkward marriage proposal during airplane crash sequence.

All I can say is I was thankful they wrapped up (kind of) the airplane/nuclear explosion nonsense for the moment and got everyone back together for the second half of the season. Not sure what they are going to do with the new bunch of kids, it would be mean to have them get slaughtered but the way this show is written I wouldn't be surprised. I do like that they are at least kind of addressing the whole "fuel" situation, as it seems incredibly inane how many cars they can find sitting around with fuel left in them after all this time.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Properly stored gasoline can last up to half a year. Though it naturally degrades and loses combustibility over time due to oxidation (exposure to oxygen) and evaporation of its volatile compounds, gasoline usually lasts three to six months when properly stored in a labeled, tightly sealed plastic container or metal tank...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:47 pm
Properly stored gasoline can last up to half a year. Though it naturally degrades and loses combustibility over time due to oxidation (exposure to oxygen) and evaporation of its volatile compounds, gasoline usually lasts three to six months when properly stored in a labeled, tightly sealed plastic container or metal tank...
I think you just destroyed the entire foundation of The Walking Dead universe.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Writers: "Morally complex stories are too tough. Can we just reuse old Walking Dead scripts, but remove all the villains and action?"

Showrunner: "It's like you read my mind."
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

hepcat wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:56 am Writers: "Morally complex stories are too tough. Can we just reuse old Walking Dead scripts, but remove all the villains and action?"

Showrunner: "It's like you read my mind."
LMAO!

I fell asleep through most of the last episode. I kept trying to rewind and rewatch but I'd just fall back asleep. The nap helped me stay awake for Talking Dead, though, and sadly I found that more entertaining lol.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

You totally missed the pad thai then, shame.

Every week we watch this and my wife and I both go, "WTF is going on? And WHY?"
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:31 pm You totally missed the pad thai then, shame.

Every week we watch this and my wife and I both go, "WTF is going on? And WHY?"
Oh I saw that, or kind of dream saw it. And then I saw the discussion about how it wasn't very good on Talking Dead, which again was more interesting than the scene itself.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was surprised they didn't spend the first 38 minutes of the show going over the choice to use ketchup packets in the recipe.
Covfefe!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I felt bad for the new cast member who had to sit there and be all excited about being on the show. They're just gonna kill you off soon anyway.

And what was up with Chris Hardwick's neck!? He's either on steroids or got a goiter, ew!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:48 am I felt bad for the new cast member who had to sit there and be all excited about being on the show. They're just gonna kill you off soon anyway.

And what was up with Chris Hardwick's neck!? He's either on steroids or got a goiter, ew!
LMAO I noticed that too!!!!! It looks like he lost a lot of weight (relatively) so maybe that had something to do with it? It just occurred to me maybe he had some surgery or something and that's why they show went off the air? I was hoping they would say something about it but they didn't.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wanna write the promos for this show.

This week, on Fear the Walking Dead: someone gets low blood sugar. Another person wears a red jacket.

I think I’m still watching because I really want Morgan to die. He destroyed this show the moment he appeared.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Oh, come on. Exploding zombies! I am still delighted every time they manage to find a new way to kill zombies.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That was last week. This week was a harrowing adventure that told a tale of low energy due to skipping breakfast.
Covfefe!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:49 pm I wanna write the promos for this show.

This week, on Fear the Walking Dead: someone gets low blood sugar. Another person wears a red jacket.

I think I’m still watching because I really want Morgan to die. He destroyed this show the moment he appeared.
You're spot on about Morgan. This show wasn't good prior to him, but ever since he showed up and they retconned the entire cast and story line this show has been just awful. I honestly don't know why I even finished watching the first half of this season. The flying beer bottle that got turned into an indestructible zombie barrier had to be a low point for any zombie based show (and I'm including Z Nation in that list).
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The show prior to Morgan had the potential to be good, at least. They seemed to be exploring what could create a Negan or an Alpha in this post apocalyptic world. But then they killed off Madison and added Morgan. In the process, they made the show all about trying to build a new society...which is what The Walking Dead is also doing. So we're essentially getting treated to the same damn story line as the other show set in this world.

..but without any real action or decent villains. Instead we're left with Max Headroom who they suddenly made evil in the first few minutes of the season opener by trying to insinuate that he had become so because Daniel refused to give him a ride or something.

It's just creatively bankrupt at this point.
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I was exhausted from a vacation trip by the time I got to watch this Sunday's episode, so I was feeling kind of sad and vulnerable. I actually really liked Red Shirt Chuck in his 2 minutes of screen time. They should have let him live and kill off the rest of the cast. I can see what they were going for with the "complex" relationship issues between Morgan and Radiation Lady, but I felt like the writers just flat out weren't good enough to pull off what they had intended. Kind of a shame because the episode had quite a bit of potential otherwise. Honestly I felt like they were aiming for a breakout heartbreaking episode similar to Al's lesbian adventure earlier this season, but just fell short.

So we ended up with an incredible waste of one of the most iconic zombie settings, the giant mall. It's such a classic setting you almost can't screw it up. But then they did with all sorts of continuity issues. Can anyone explain why there was so much stuff left untouched there after all these years? Or how they went from a ton of zombies to none in the matter of a commercial break? Did I fall asleep or did they make it to the generator? Or why sometimes the zombies can go up the stairs and other times they can't? Or why sometimes the zombies will react to a tiny crunch but other times they just ignore sounds? Or who all those new people carrying supplies were? Or what Dwight's great plan was? Or what kind of stick was up Morgan's ass?

I don't really have any great ideas on how to save the show any more, other than the one I suggested a while ago of bringing Madison back as a villain. Though they'd probably find some way to screw that up in the end too.

At this point I think it's pretty clear they've given the show production/writing over to the C class. Theoretically the A-team is working on the movies, and the B-team on TWD, leaving Fear with the dregs of people who need work. It's a shame because the cast is generally likable and has plenty of potential.