[AMC] Fear The Walking Dead - IT’S OVER!!!!!!!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rittchard

Re: [AMC] Fear The Walking Dead - Season 5

Post by rittchard »

So last night's episode was... ummmm watchable I guess. I didn't fall asleep so that's definitely a step up from last week. I still get the feeling that they hired a group of pretentious writers that think they are better writers than they actually are. They are lucky to have some good actors who really try to make the most of the scripts, but that's about the best I can say. The scripts seem to want to evoke something "deep" or meaningful, but more often than not are just irritating. Alicia's "can't kill zombies" arc is/was just another horribly constructed, extremely contrived plotline. I couldn't remember when it even started until they explicitly showed a flashback for me. But it just made no sense and having everyone, even the newcomer, cater to her stupid "issue" just made it worse. After they spent so many seasons making her so badass (which in itself was kind of a mess how quickly she "leveled up"), having her stand around being lame was just stupid.

As far as the larger scope, it seems Max Headroom really is the "big bad" for this season. I suspect they are trying their best to create more nuanced bad guys in Fear that maybe we are supposed to identify with better, but for the most part he is just irritating. He's better than the dirty lady from last season, I guess I can say that much. But it's not just his fault because really the good guy group is pretty irritating too with their stupid savior complex that is kind of all over the place. I love how they just stand around and taunt each other and Morgan just ignores all the guns pointing at him. I guess he knows no one can shoot him since he's the show's lead. If there are really oil fields around why don't they just find a way to share it with some sort of barter system? Hoarding it for themselves just seems like a recipe for disaster to make themselves and all the kids they collected a target.

As far as I can tell the only interesting thing this season is the helicopter people, and I think they mentioned we'd get more of that in Talking Dead.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

GAHHH!!!!

I don't know what else to say about the past two episodes. I had semi-high hopes for last night after the previous week's borefest, but they found a way to just screw everything up and irritate me further. Last week they decided to focus on everyone's most hated child actor Charlie and her new Jewish friend. It's like someone in the writer's office was like "hey you know what we don't have yet, a Jewish dude that fights zombies!!!" and so... that's what we get. It's kind of a Father Gabriel rehash but with a rabbi. The details are different but the end effect is a new annoying character that really doesn't add much to the mix. That plus more Charlie made for a horrible episode.

Then last night you think we are heading for a cool showdown with Max Headroom. But instead they just have everyone stand around posturing with their guns like idiots and then have a bunch of other cockamamie crap occur just before introducing a new "villain." Sigh. Why are they doing this? It feels like they are making it worse and worse, it's so painful.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We've got 2 eps on the TiVo to catch up on. SO looking forward to hate watching the both of them!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:16 pm We've got 2 eps on the TiVo to catch up on. SO looking forward to hate watching the both of them!
Ha. +1. The hard drive is 87% full and I'm still recording movies, so these might get dumped. It would not break my heart.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I'll finish this season but I really don't know if I'll continue after that. I'm all in on TWD, still enjoy it and want to see it to the end but FTWD had potential but I have not really enjoyed it since the time jump. I mostly still watch it because it's one of the few shows the wife and i still watch together.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hi, I'm this season's villain...for the next 27 minutes. I'll be replaced shortly by someone pretty much the same as me, but on a horse or something. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to suddenly show remorse so that the show can kill me for cheap sympathy. That's kind of their thing.

Who writes the scripts for this show? I know it can't be anyone with more than a 2nd grade education. I think the only reason I watch this show is because it helps me get past those awful patches on its sister show. Every time I want to switch off The Walking Dead due to some dumb plot turn, I just think back to Fear the Walking Dead and realize it isn't THAT bad.

Which sucks even more because THEY HAD THE POTENTIAL TO DO SOMETHING GREAT!!! They were going down an interesting road with Madison and her increasingly ruthless means of protecting her family...but they decided that interesting wasn't what they wanted, and killed everyone who showed even a spark of originality. Then they replaced them with cookie cutter characters with all the depth of a drained kiddie pool.*

*No insult meant to the great Garret Dillahunt, of course. He isn't responsible for the awful writing and is actually doing his best with shitty material. Ruben Blades is also exempt from any blame as he is also great.
He won. Period.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Hep - that's the saddest part. I'd say the majority of the cast is potentially pretty good, and 1 for 1 possibly better than TWD. But the writers/producers/directors are just sucking it up with poor direction and horrible choices. Take last night for instance. Given all the things that these characters have been through, there is no way I can buy someone not taking Max Headroom out any number of times. Or for that matter, his people not shooting the "good guys." Instead the compromise is for all of them to spend half the episode holding their guns out at each other and making faces and empty threats. In TWD 90% of these people would all have been dead about 10 times over. Everything about the sequences was just plain bad. I guess hate watch is the only way to go these days.
mori

Post by mori »

Everything good about this show did die with Madison didn't it? Just became The Walking Dead Southwest Edition.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

tonight's episode has to be the worse one EVER! I kept telling myself that I said I would finish this season but I almost got up to go upstairs and watch football. I will finish this season...got to be almost over...I hope.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Lassr wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:44 pm tonight's episode has to be the worse one EVER! I kept telling myself that I said I would finish this season but I almost got up to go upstairs and watch football. I will finish this season...got to be almost over...I hope.
LMAO! Yes next week is the season finale if I'm not mistaken.

The writing has become so bad this season it's almost laughable, and even the normally good actors are left looking like idiots. You could almost replace any one of the characters with another and no one would know the difference. All the characters seem to have had their personalities neutered. The one moment it looked like there might be a spark of something resembling the original character tone (Victor confronting Virginia) they immediately drop it. And what have they done to Ruben Blades? He just stands around and makes jokes. Even the reliable Garret Dillahunt doesn't seem to know what to do with the horrible script.

The worst part is the new "big bad" is a big.... question mark. A big irritating question mark. Sure she killed Logan's crew (who were set up to be bad guys anyway) and I guess threatened some other people, but aside from that, all she's done is offer help (granted in an annoying way). But our stubborn cast has to do things their own way. I always ask what would Rick do? He'd probably take the help and then eventually kill the leader and take over; it's a much better solution lol. But that's besides the point, I just don't understand what we are supposed to be getting from her. I don't feel like she's ever threatening so much as grating us with that voice, and seriously doesn't she have anything better to do than follow this lame bunch of idiots around?

Oh, and please please please stop with the filming of everything, it was an OK gimmick for a bit but now it's just grating as hell. Plus where the f are they getting all these additional cameras and film and batteries???? Argggh!!!

I could go on and on poking holes, but other reviewers have done a better job with that. My bigger problem is just with flat out bad writing. Like why did they automatically reject a perfectly good spot (Jewish guy's area) with just a roomful of zombies? But now instead they just go with a completely unknown spot and assume somehow it's going to be perfect? Maybe send a scout first before you put all the marbles in? Did anyone really think it was just going to be all perfect and setup nicely for them? OK so they get there and it's overrun with zombies. BFD, it's not like every one of them hasn't killed tons of zombies. I count about 50 people there. If the main cast kills like 20 each, that's like 200 zombies. Then the rest of the losers just kill 1 or 2 each and boom the town is clear. Or.... they can use the simple music/sound trick that works so well - at least whenever the writers feel like it. I love how sometimes you can make one tiny sound and draw them out, other times you shoot a gun and a horde comes, and still other times they can do whatever and nothing happens. But it's been a time honored special that using any random music you can just walk an entire horde to wherever the hell you want. So instead of just standing there and whining, why don't they just do that?!?!?

Everything is written to just drive you (me) nuts. One stupid decision after another, then they act surprised when it doesn't go their way. And in the down time? Alicia paints. And paints. And paints. Not even a design any more, just all over a tree. I think she just killed the motherf-ing tree with that horrible paint job.

I wish I could paint over my memory with that paint, but that would be too easy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The only thing that can save this show would be ending the season with a final scene of Newhart waking up next to one of his tv wives and telling her he just had a bad dream...then forget the last two seasons occurred and continue on from there.
He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Well, didn't see that coming.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

naednek wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:28 am Well, didn't see that coming.
First off, I'm not 100% convinced anything really happened. Except for possibly the worst written, edited and directed Walking Dead related finale of any season.

It makes me sad to be so critical because I genuinely like most of the cast. But there's not much they can do with such horrible material that literally defies logic and ignores things that just happened or were said in the previous episode.

The ep starts out kind of OK, although the inconsistent writing starts pretty quick. They call Virginia for help as we saw last week, she tells them there were like 250 people living there that all died and we find out there are 40 in our group. This makes the logic of the "let's give up" even worse because that means each survivor would only need to kill 6 walkers to clear the place. We've seen each of our superstars rip through far far more than that, so really they probably wouldn't even need much support from the others. But then the writers find a different excuse for the town being a lost cause, supposedly there's no water around? Which I guess they just somehow knew from looking at it from above? But as we saw last week, they had to cross a bridge over water. Sure it was kind of far, but still clearly within walking distance. And why did they assume the place had no water access? Who knows? Magically Dwight comes across some horses, and he "realizes" that since they survived there must be water. Again, this is at or near the spot they left the vehicles BECAUSE OF THE BRIDGE OVER WATER. WTF??? Anyway I'm OK with ignoring that. So he returns with horses and suddenly everyone's like oh ok NOW we can clear the place. Cuz we got the horses!!! Well not just that now they can lead the zombies away because apparently you can only do that on horseback.

So they split up, and someone says take everyone far away (but this clearly didn't happen, more bad editing) while the horse crew leads the zombies away to use against the incoming bad guys. The horse crew inexplicably includes the sick Grace riding with Morgan, because of course you bring someone who you think is dying of cancer on the most dangerous part of the mission and have her ride with you. Mishaps occur because the bad guys have brought that chick we totally forgot about as a hostage or something. Not sure why the plan couldn't go on because there would theoretically be mayhem but again, there's no logic. Dwight almost dies because of this and the zombies get led into a ton of flowing WATER (you remember, the water that they had no access to) and I guess we were supposed to feel bad the plan washed away as the zombies hit the rocks in the water. I totally didn't get that at all. The plan has gone to pot so Victor decides he's going to go negotiate with the bad guys. In the one intelligent move, Ruben has taken the starter from the tank to use as leverage. Ruben lets Victor go without any fuss in yet another wtf moment.

Then suddenly our crew has teleported back (because they are on horseback, you know) and are totally despondent again. So what do they do even though the baddies are on the way to take them away? Well... they decide to hold a WEDDING!!!! But not before Alicia and the new guy get to do some more PAINTING!!!!! Fantastic!!!! Somehow they knew they had just enough time for the festivities, and lo and behold, they did!!! John even found his bride a nice new dress to wear.

By now my head was ready to explode. Then Ginny comes and Morgan threatens her yet again and for some reason she changes her mind and capitulates to take everyone. But by take she means she is going to specifically split every friendship/coupling apart because she's that petty. She even goes the extra mile to take Ruben's cat away from him. Apparently they brought like 20 cars just so they could make sure couples didn't get to stay together. It was one of the most inane and irritating things I've ever seen in any TV show ever, so I give the writers plus points for topping the stupidity of it all.

Finally we are left with the "confrontation" as Ginny reveals she really is evil. OMG what a shock. She's gonna kill Morgan cuz she hates his face (nominally because she can't have him challenging her). Fair enough, I totally agree with this strategy. But why does she wait til her entire crew is gone? And then announce to him she is going to kill him? He whacks her in the head with his magic staff but she gets a shot off that hits his chest. And then leaves him for dead instead of finishing the job as a few zombies approach. Instead of going into the church and closing the door, our boy Morgan crawls up some steps and sits there yapping on the walkie talkie while the zombies approach. WHAT. THE. F.

My guess is contract negotiations are underway. If they wanted to kill him off for certain, they could have. This gives them plenty of wiggle room for a last minute save if it works out. I don't remember where Dwight was so he could appear and do it. Since the writers don't seem to care about continuity they could just have someone else teleport back. Or have Charlie have slipped away and hid herself there. Or have helicopter people come and save him. Or have someone else from the original cast appear. Plenty of options.

Anyway, it's so sad for a show that seemed to be on the way up to just take such a drastic downturn, particularly when it arguably had a better cast. I don't think they can even pull themselves out of this as they've written such a horribly stupid plotline to force everyone apart, just so presumably they can spend the next season bringing them back together. And I will likely be back to see how it plays out. Sigh.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

naednek wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:28 am Well, didn't see that coming.

I know! I honestly was just kidding about the whole thing being just a Bob Newhart dream! :shock:
He won. Period.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

rittchard wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:32 pm And I will likely be back to see how it plays out. Sigh.
I'll tune in to see what happens to Morgan but I have made the decision that I will half ass watch it next year. Meaning I sit to down to watch it but get up and do other things if it's not doing it for me. But make sure I catch the end to see where we'll be next week. And I'm only doing that because I have invested so much time into it.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Walking Dead (both comic and tv shows) simply cannot write a villain to save their lives. They subscribe to the Snidely Whiplash School of Villainy. Give us 3 dimensional protagonists who don't eagerly threaten to shoot people because they "don't like your face". Or who don't suddenly find god in the last 3 minutes of an episode and realize they've been wrong the whole time. And Ginnie obviously took the class "Leaving Your Enemy Alive When You Easily Could Have Killed Them 101".

Anyway...goofy ass scene with the overrun town too. I'm not sure why they gave up so easily when apparently all you needed to do was have everyone but a few folks just hide, then let a few others lead the herd away from town at a leisurely gait.
rittchard wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:32 pm Apparently they brought like 20 cars just so they could make sure couples didn't get to stay together.
:lol:
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Just powered thru the last six episodes this week, and it did feel more like a chore than a pleasure. At the end of the last episode, I realized the only character I really care about is Skidmark. If I watch the next season at all, it will be to see if he is reunited with Reuben.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would watch a show with just Ruben Blades (with Skidmark) and Garret Dillahunt. Every single cast member beyond that could walk over a cliff in an episode and I'd probably cheer. It's just a really, really boring group of people. The only reason I would keep Ruben and Garret is because they're both really good actors who I know can do a lot more if given a chance to shine.
He won. Period.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

This is a little off topic but I was watching (like five eps in) Daybreak on Netflix this last weekend and couldn't help but think just how much better that show was in terms of just about everything in such a short amount of time. Establishing the apocalypse and zombies, introducing multiple characters and each gets a backstory as well as conflicting motivations, flashbacks, main plotline, interesting villains, plot twists, romances, zombie tropes (mall!), etc etc. Pretty much all the things Fear aimed to do but just did poorly. I don't know if it's a testament to how good Daybreak is or how bad Fear has been at achieving similar goals.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Season 6 started off with a good episode. I hope this is a good sign for the season...we'll see though.

Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

I agree. One thing it needed was a recap from last season.

rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Oops I totally forgot about Fear, got distracted by the Lakers I guess, glad to hear it's an improvement. :mrgreen:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just saw the same old, same old. Morgan apparently is contractually obligated to lose his faith in humanity and then find it again every 7 episodes or so of whatever WD show he’s currently photo bombing. I look forward to the mid season finale in which the surprise twist is that Morgan loses his faith in humanity again.

Also, Ginny is one of the most annoying villains they’ve ever featured. Every time she threatens someone, I have to suppress a giggle.

But bring me some Dillahunt and I’ll watch more.
He won. Period.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I thought it was a pretty strong premiere, but yeah, Morgan is a bigger flip flopper than... (oops no politics allowed here). I thought the pacing was pretty strong and more enjoyable to watch, but as reviewers have mentioned, they've had strong premiers in the past and flopped after. I read this whole season will be more individual stories, maybe they will be better at these than they are at the group stuff.
Spoiler:
A little disappointed they dumped the bounty hunter so quickly, I thought he was going to be a big bad this season. I guess he was more just an excuse to level Morgan up even more and get him some new gear. Unique: Bounty Hunter's Executioner Axe (+100 to health regen)
Do any of you watch The Boys? The Ginny actress is on there too, it's hard for me to take her seriously.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Second ep was a mix of good and bad, I'd say. There were some elements I enjoyed but I felt like they were also edging closer to the badness of the last two seasons. I guess we have to stay tuned to see what direction it goes.

The opening really bugged me, I don't think it's even worth a spoiler. It just seemed super stupid the way the zombies somehow are able to reach underneath a door and grab people and drag them in - just because the floor has molasses on it? WTF? If it were one person, ummm OK but just the angles and the physics seemed totally inane.

It was nice to see Strand get a full episode, he didn't get much airtime that I recall last year. I like the Strand/Alicia relationship but I wish they would at least mention Madison at some point.
Spoiler:
It looks like they are going to bring back "Dark Strand" - which would be a cool plot arc if they weren't already doing more or less the same thing with Morgan. And then in the end "twist" we see that they are likely also bringing back "Dark Daniel" lol. So basically the entire cast is going to go "Dark" to deal with these losers who can't even deal with a few grimy zombies? Ummm I don't know.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Some observations from episode 2
Spoiler:
Zombies are very slow...unless you lie them down and cover them with molasses. At which point they turn into undead Jesse Owens and can pull you to them with blinding speed.

Alicia’s superpower is the ability to find skin tight jeans no matter where she goes.

Strand is still the most interesting character on the show. Daniel is a close second.

Where’s Dillahunt?
I think I see why I’m so tired of this franchise at this point. They have one trick and they just use it to death: introduce a villain everyone can hate, then work out a revenge porn ending for them. Every now and again I get my hopes up that they’ll do something different...but then they bring out the next snidely whiplash and it’s off to the races.
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:25 pm Some observations from episode 2
Spoiler:
Zombies are very slow...unless you lie them down and cover them with molasses. At which point they turn into undead Jesse Owens and can pull you to them with blinding speed.

Alicia’s superpower is the ability to find skin tight jeans no matter where she goes.

Strand is still the most interesting character on the show. Daniel is a close second.

Where’s Dillahunt?
I think I see why I’m so tired of this franchise at this point. They have one trick and they just use it to death: introduce a villain everyone can hate, then work out a revenge porn ending for them. Every now and again I get my hopes up that they’ll do something different...but then they bring out the next snidely whiplash and it’s off to the races.
They also come up with the lamest geographical and environmental reasons why the characters take some of the risks they take. Last season the reactor was going to melt down and they couldn't get away because they were surrounding by cliffs, bridges are out so yeah we'll go right through that massive hoard instead of going around, hey there's a tire factory on fire drawing in a hoard but lets not go around it because yeah reasons. It gets old.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

seriously with how Meta Daniel has been in this series he could probably take down Ginny and her rangers all by himself once he stops acting like he's just a simple barber.
FTE
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Scraper wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:26 am seriously with how Meta Daniel has been in this series he could probably take down Ginny and her rangers all by himself once he stops acting like he's just a simple barber.
They love to power and de-power their characters at a moment's notice. Remember Alicia in Season 1? She was like one of those whiny girls in a horror movie. Then they powered her up with absolutely no explanation and soon she was like zombie killing queen number one. Then they de-powered her for a few episodes because she felt guilty or something? Huh? Then John Dorrie who can shoot anything from anywhere. But apparently he can also be neutered whenever they feel like it. And let's not talk about Morgan, who this season has EVOLVED. He's beyond powered up, he's like the next stage of a pokemon.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Ep 3 had a mix again of good and bad. Some illogical things, some head scratchers, but ultimately was a fairly enjoyable and rewarding episode.

I'm a bit confused as to the timeline, though, I thought I read somewhere Fear was still a few years lagging. Both World Beyond and TWD should be somewhere near "real" time, approx. 2020 but I'm not sure about Fear. ok... according to the below they are still many years behind, which is also confusing due to Morgan and Dwight being in the show, but also the 3 circle helicopter group already being established seems a little odd. I definitely enjoyed seeing Al and even Dwight again, they made for an interesting duo. It does seem like some time has passed; the baby is quite a bit larger and it feels like Al and Dwight have been working together a while. So maybe another year?

https://screenrant.com/walking-dead-tim ... ns-movies/

Anyway probably best not to think too much about it.
Spoiler:
Obviously the big payoff came at the end of the episode, not with a hot girl on girl kiss as we might have hoped/guessed, but with the reunion of Dwight and Sherry, which made everything else in the episode forgivable.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Are we going to ignore the bleach bottle attached to the IV Pole?

That was hilarious
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

naednek wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:40 pm Are we going to ignore the bleach bottle attached to the IV Pole?

That was hilarious
She might of had covid and they didnt have any uv lights or hydrogen peroxide around to treat it.

(I know this isnt R&P but i couldn't help it)
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

rittchard wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:18 pm
I'm a bit confused as to the timeline, though, I thought I read somewhere Fear was still a few years lagging. :ugeek: Both World Beyond and TWD should be somewhere near "real" time, approx. 2020 but I'm not sure about Fear. ok... according to the below they are still many years behind, which is also confusing due to Morgan and Dwight being in the show, but also the 3 circle helicopter group already being established seems a little odd. I definitely enjoyed seeing Al and even Dwight again, they made for an interesting duo. It does seem like some time has passed; the baby is quite a bit larger and it feels like Al and Dwight have been working together a while. So maybe another year?
The timeline on this show has always been confusing to me. As does The Walking Dead, to be honest. I mean, it's supposed to be a matter of years, but some groups on TWD started developing their own language and shit, while others became well organized cannibals. Apparently some folks regress to an animal state after just a few months in this franchise.
He won. Period.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I really liked tonight's episode, Dillahunt does a superb job with John.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Dillahunt and Blades are the only reasons I still watch this show.
He won. Period.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Dillahunt was fantastic and this was a really good episode. I know they are wedded to their ensemble and somehow have made Morgan the lead star, but I think the show would be much better with John as the "full" carry, in the way Rick was in TWD. They are now suffering from having too many characters, which means each actor probably only gets one or two of these stand-alone storylines. I don't want to wait another 3 weeks before I get to see John again but there are still a bunch of cast members we haven't seen yet so I presume they will get their turn.

The good news is the show is much more watchable this season in general. I suspect we should see an improved main villain at some point, I don't think Virginia is the big bad. I noticed the actress signed with The Boys so my guess is she won't last much longer in Fear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

At the end of the day though, Dillahunt's John is essentially TWD's Rick Grimes. Just a little more haunted by his past. I would love to see him be the lead (Dillahunt is one of the finest character actors...hell, actors...working today), but it would just be an even more blatant attempt to turn FtWD into TWD.

I still believe they blew it when they killed off Madison. Showing the eventual rise of a villain in a sympathetic fashion was something I thought they were going for...and it was great. But they didn't have the cajones to follow through on it and just decided to recreate TWD in so many ways. I like Lennie James. I think he's also a very good actor. However, his character has had so many "soul changing journeys" that I no longer see him as a real character. He's basically a walking, talking trope that adapts to whatever the story needs at any point.

By the way, the actress playing Ginny has been on The Boys since season 1. If she leaves, it wouldn't be because of that, I imagine. As I mentioned earlier, the entire franchise revels in creating two dimensional villains (for the most part) that would tie an elderly woman to a train track if this were a silent film. Then they work out a revenge porn ending.
He won. Period.
mori

Post by mori »

Dwight is done, donski. That is obvious with the way the writers work.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

mori wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:38 pm Dwight is done, donski. That is obvious with the way the writers work.
I just finished watching the episode where he finds Sherri, and I said to Wife "Well, that's the end of Dwight's storyline. He's toast now."
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:31 pm At the end of the day though, Dillahunt's John is essentially TWD's Rick Grimes. Just a little more haunted by his past. I would love to see him be the lead (Dillahunt is one of the finest character actors...hell, actors...working today), but it would just be an even more blatant attempt to turn FtWD into TWD.

I still believe they blew it when they killed off Madison. Showing the eventual rise of a villain in a sympathetic fashion was something I thought they were going for...and it was great. But they didn't have the cajones to follow through on it and just decided to recreate TWD in so many ways. I like Lennie James. I think he's also a very good actor. However, his character has had so many "soul changing journeys" that I no longer see him as a real character. He's basically a walking, talking trope that adapts to whatever the story needs at any point.

By the way, the actress playing Ginny has been on The Boys since season 1. If she leaves, it wouldn't be because of that, I imagine. As I mentioned earlier, the entire franchise revels in creating two dimensional villains (for the most part) that would tie an elderly woman to a train track if this were a silent film. Then they work out a revenge porn ending.
The news on Ginny actress was that she was promoted to series regular for S3, whatever that means.

I 100% agree killing Madison was stupid. Actually since we never saw her die, I still hold out hope she will come back as the lead villain. They could even do it this season as the villain behind the scenes, that would be so sweet.

Last night's episode was a mix of good and bad for me. The good was that they didn't just jump to another set of different characters and instead focused on advancing the main plot with Morgan, Al, Dwight and Sherri. The bad news is I was starting to feel like the writers of the last two seasons were back, with all sorts of inane decision making and back and forth stupidity. I don't really know what to make of it. Everyone turned on each other faster than you could blink and then just as quickly turned back. The hemming and hawing of being "good" is really ridiculous, particularly for Morgan who just the last episode made it seem like he was willing to do anything (aka DARK MORGAN) to get his people back. Now they did the same thing for Dwight AND Sherry. Please get these people a steady personality!!!! Ultimately I was OK with the plot advancement results, but the way they went about it was horrible. Contrast this with a really nicely directed episode of The World Beyond (Cudlitz direction was fantastic), and the show just seemed so much worse.