Venture Bros Season 7 - 15 years of brilliance

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Venture Bros Season 7 - 15 years of brilliance

Post by hepcat »

It amazes me that even though this is only season 7 of Venture Bros, it actually debuted 15 years ago.

Anyway, season 7 episode 1 has blessed us with even more Venture Bros. awesomeness. I loved it. It's good to have this slice of comedy genius back on the air.

But it all comes down to this.

...is back.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Re: Venture Bros Season 7 - 15 years of brilliance

Post by Smoove_B »

Meant to post, but I'm still dazed from having to watch it live because AT&T decided it no longer wants me to have TiVo. I'm also glad I re-watched season 6 a few months ago in anticipation, because now all my archived Venture Bros episodes are gone as well.

Anyway, I totally agree - glad to see Dr. Orpheus and crew back again (he's one of my favorite characters), and I think they had a great setup for what's apparently going to happen this season. Didn't see the ending of this episode coming at all. Creepy.

Also, I just started thumbing through my copy, but I'd already recommend The Venture Bros Art Book to fans. They go through every episode and give a little bit of info along with all kinds of sketches and concept art.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Got around to watching it last night. It didn't grab me but didn't hate it.

Something felt off right away with Brock cowering and I think that set the distracted tone for me. There were no laugh out loud moments but I did enjoy White.
Creepy
I missed the creepy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Did your Tivo shut off 5 minutes before the ending of the show? Because Smoove isn't wrong. That was creepy.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

spoiler it because I'm dense.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Spoiler:
the severed head of Jonas Venture Sr. sitting atop a system of tubes and wires and encased in a sarcophagus that has been in their family for decades.
I'm betting I know what your response is going to be, though. :wink:
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:13 am I'm betting I know what your response is going to be. :wink:
Would that be, "why is that creepy?" Creepy was Hatred and little boys. Creepy was 21 and 24's stalkering. Creepy is absolutely everything about Colonel Gentleman. Dude turning cannibal because he assumed prison food was poison I can see as creepy. That ending is just part of the ongoing narrative.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:27 am
hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:13 am I'm betting I know what your response is going to be. :wink:
Would that be, "why is that creepy?"
Yup. I've learned over the years how the LM mind works. :mrgreen:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Didn't see the Season 3 callback ("Tears of a Sea Cow") coming at all - impressive. Not nearly as impressive as having Augustus St. Cloud return as a major villain after a cameo appearance in "Tag Sale: You're It!", but still quite clever.

I guess next week's episode is going to tie together a whole bunch of ongoing stories? Also, we need more Brick Frog.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ok, how's this for continuity -- I didn't pick up on it myself, but back in Season 1 (2004):
Dr. Orpheus takes the Action Man's hands and declares "Two years, 17 days, from a stroke"
Whatever notes they've been keeping for 14+ years - that's amazing.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I meant to come in after this week's episode and post praise. I was worried the show was losing me in first two episodes but everything came together on Sunday night and the show is back in form. Everything was put together so perfectly, you had to love every single moment. Like the entire series of misfortunes and poor egos making poor decisions was leading up to this ultimate misfortune of poor egos making poor decisions and then, meh, with Monarch making the most Monarch move ever. Sadly, I think you'd have had to have seen "14+ years" to truly love those 30 minutes but they were amazing. That was like series finale done right, only it was the 3rd episode.

I still don't get the Brock opening this season. Maybe that will make sense later.

I kinda want to go buy the entire series and watch it now.
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:31 amI kinda want to go buy the entire series and watch it now.
Yes! That's exactly how I felt. I bet there are so many elements that have been planned or hinted at that you'll find peppered throughout the entire series run so far. Now that I have that hardcover book, it would make even more sense to read along and re-watch them all.

Regardless, this week's episode really did feel like a series ending of sorts. I'm quite curious to see where they go from here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I dug up my copies and I'm planning a complete rewatch this fall.

Even as plot dense as this last episode was, it still had plenty of laugh out loud moments. Hank's "Hey, is that the museum where the statues come alive at night?" response to Dean's trying to explain the situation with "zombie head grandpa"...and Dean subsequently (and finally) diagnosing Hank with ADD.

Dr. Orpheus being lured into home ownership thanks to a "Dr. Strange window".

Dr. Z's trip down memory lane. “But Jonas was not home, so we figured we’d just throw garbage on his lawn, call it an arch.”

God I love this show.
Covfefe!
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

When you have to wait this long between seasons, it better be worth it.

It was.

Very excited to see how these revelations play out the rest of the way.
18-1™ & 2-0
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I’m probably late to the party in this one, but I figured that Matassa was probably a joke, so I looked it up . . . and it means Hank.
Last edited by Fretmute on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I will never grow tired of Monarch trying to intimidate someone, and then realizing he's drastically underpowered.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:03 pm I will never grow tired of Monarch trying to intimidate someone, and then realizing he's drastically underpowered.
I love the implication that "Level 5" arching is an insult to his ability but that it literally takes charity from others for him to be able to pull it off.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Any Venture Bros episode that include a Fudgie the Whale reference is going to be a winner in my book.

So kind of a big reveal that happened so quick you could have missed it:
Spoiler:
Rusty is a clone
Given what we now know about Jonas, this has some interesting possibilities.

Regardless, next week looks like Monarch and St. Cloud and from the quick preview, I was already laughing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ok, that seals it - I seriously think St. Cloud is one of the best characters in the entire series. Last's night's episode was fantastic. I know one of the complaints of the show is that it's like 4 people voicing everything, but the voice and physical appearance/mannerisms of St. Clouds is 100% perfect.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rusty: Come in Brock, we got a level 1 Guild arching threat.

Brock: So? What’ya want, an aspirin or something?

:lol:
Covfefe!
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:53 am Ok, that seals it - I seriously think St. Cloud is one of the best characters in the entire series. Last's night's episode was fantastic. I know one of the complaints of the show is that it's like 4 people voicing everything, but the voice and physical appearance/mannerisms of St. Clouds is 100% perfect.
That is absolutely part of what makes it great for me. Producer: "Hey man, we can get random AAA actor to do a bit part here." Chris McCulloch: "Nah, I got this."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not normally into low-brow, but I could not stop laughing at St. Cloud telling people to get their rubbers. Between that and the Monarch and Gary chuckling over making St. Cloud repeatedly say P.E.N.I.S., it was a total winner for me.

Oh, and I totally don't care that like 5 people do all the voices either. It's absolutely part of the charm.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:25 am I'm not normally into low-brow,
Pshaw!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Don't get me wrong, when someone gets hit in the nards, I laugh like a loon. It's just sometimes I feel like toilet/groin humor is the go-to when you're out of other options. In this case, anything St. Cloud says is immediately elevated because of that voice.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

How in god’s name was this latest episode only 22 minutes long? I’ve seen less plot in 3 hour movies, for cryin’ out loud. :shock:
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ugh. This is a major disappointment.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

2020 IS THE WORST
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:angry-screaming:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sigh.

Maybe a streaming service will pick them up.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I doubt it. Their issue is they're insanely slow, likely related to being perfectionists. S7 aired in 2018 and this message suggests they were still writing S8 earlier this year. That would mean (I'd think) late 2021 for the next season - at the earliest. I'm sure AS has enough content options now that they don't need to cater to the special schedule of the Venture Bros.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well shoot. And I was curious how they’d play out the season 7 ending. I wonder if they’d consider doing a comic book series or graphic novel to end it properly?

Edit: this statement from adult swim offers at least a small glimmer of hope.
When contacted by Variety, Adult Swim said it was looking for a way to continue the story with McCulloch and co-writer Doc Hammer.

“We also want more Venture Bros. and have been working with Jackson [Publick] and Doc [Hammer] to find another way to continue the Venture Bros. story,” Adult Swim said in a statement.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

I think they fell prey to their lackadaisical pace. They were green lit in 2018 and reports are they were about 'half done' with the writing for Season 8. Cartoon Network likely had budget issues or needed to green light something for the slot that could get delivered in a realistic time frame. A lot of media companies are cutting out 'nice to haves' right now and I'd bucket it there.

That said, the talk is that they are trying to shop a deal to HBO Max potentially. That makes sense. The pacing isn't a big issue and the question is just funding plus clearing up rights issues to the back catalog. That seems pretty manageable if they want to get it done.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:45 am Well shoot. And I was curious how they’d play out the season 7 ending. I wonder if they’d consider doing a comic book series or graphic novel to end it properly?
It could happen. McCulloch comes from the Comic Book world and they already have in with Dark Horse

https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/20-077/ ... re-Bros-HC
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

An interview with the creators on...NPR? Ok then.
He and Publick are just now getting used to referring to the show in the past tense. The obsessive and iconoclastic qualities the pair brought to The Venture Bros. that made it memorable may also have contributed to its undoing. The show's production took an infamously long time, with Publick and Hammer involved in essentially every stage of creation. The writer's room was just the two of them, they voiced vast swaths of the characters, and although they had help, they were even involved in direction, editing and sound mixing. There's a reason why only seven seasons were produced across 17 years: These things take time.
But really, this cinches it for me:
"We were trying to do our own way of making it an adult thing. You're a geek who reads comics and you grow up and it's still a part of your blood — now what?" Hammer says. "That's what The Venture Bros. was: It was for these people who once held that as sacred, and now are ready to really dig into what kind of a miserable life that is."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AV Club
Hence, maybe, a tweet that went out this week from HBO Max head Andy Forssell, tempting god knows how many fans of Drs. Venture, Orpheus, Killinger, etc. into hoping that the show might get another shot at its very slow, very strange sort of life by noting that the streaming service is “working on” ideas about how to #SaveTheVentureBros.

Of course, Forssell was also quick to note that there was “nothing imminent” about said plans, which, given that The Venture Bros. ultimately averaged out to releasing a little less than 6 episodes a year over its whole 14-year tenure on Adult Swim, sounds about right. Still, Forssell stated that the numerous fans of the series who’d reached out to him about his streamer potentially reviving the show have been “class fans” who were “oozing with politeness,” so points for style there, if no points for not acting in a way another human being would unfortunately describe as “oozing.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Update on what's happening, aka The Venture Bros. movie:
But enough about the dark days: New content is a-comin’! Adult Swim and parent company Warner Media didn’t announce release dates for any of the movies, but did confirm the roll-out structure: Each film will debut on home video and video-on-demand for 90 days, then make their way over to HBO Max and Adult Swim. We’ve also got loose plot synopses for each project, which you can read below:

Doc’s latest invention will either bankrupt the Ventures or launch them to new heights, as Hank searches for himself, Dean searches for Hank, The Monarch searches for answers, and a mysterious woman from their pasts threatens to bring their entire world crashing down on them. The Venture Bros. is created, written and executive produced by Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoo hoo, closure!

I'm also excited for the other two movies. Metapocalypse was way better than it should have been, and Aqua Teen Hunger Force could always get a giggle out of me back in the day.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Another update:
Yesterday, co-creator Jackson Publick (aka Christopher McCulloch, who primarily voices Hank Venture and the Monarch) tweeted the first page of a Venture Bros. script. Dubbed a “long form special” and crediting fellow co-creator Doc Hammer, Publick said: “Things are happening.”

Either way, the animated special is expected to wrap up everything in a somewhat nice bow for the characters. Last time we saw them, Hank left his family grow up (while still wearing that Batman mask, obvs) and Dean began to search for him. Meanwhile, their dad Rusty learned that he and his sort of nemesis the Monarch were brothers as well. The new movie will pick up as both sets of Venture brothers try to find answers while a mysterious woman is set to show up and throw everyone’s already turbulent lives even more out of whack.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been a long fun ride. I got out after so many years but still love the show and characters.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »