News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Zaxxon »

I grew up in Chicago with those Bulls teams and am therefore biased, but it is an amazing documentary.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

We watched Over the Moon this weekend, which is one of the Oscar Nominated movies this year. The beginning and the end were the best, with it feeling quite like a Pixar setup. It kind of gave me an Up and Coco vibe, but it's when the girl actually gets to the moon where I feel things fall apart. You can tell it's primarily designed as a children's movie because from then on it's full of fantastical action sequences full of neon colors, and I almost lost interest then. There's even a castle that has an almost exact profile to Disney's castle, which made me wonder how they could get away with that. Kind of made me wonder if it was originally was intended to be distributed by Disney. Ultimately we found it kind of disappointing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:34 pm We watched Over the Moon this weekend, which is one of the Oscar Nominated movies this year. The beginning and the end were the best, with it feeling quite like a Pixar setup. It kind of gave me an Up and Coco vibe, but it's when the girl actually gets to the moon where I feel things fall apart. You can tell it's primarily designed as a children's movie because from then on it's full of fantastical action sequences full of neon colors, and I almost lost interest then. There's even a castle that has an almost exact profile to Disney's castle, which made me wonder how they could get away with that. Kind of made me wonder if it was originally was intended to be distributed by Disney. Ultimately we found it kind of disappointing.
Strange--we also watched it this weekend, and my impressions mirror yours.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Netflix thread -- we're enjoying Lupin (though you need to put up with either subtitles, dubs, or speaka the French).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I keep forgetting about Lupin. I really need to give it a go. Subtitles don’t bother me as I pretty much live and breathe foreign films.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:03 pm
Rumpy wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:34 pm We watched Over the Moon this weekend, which is one of the Oscar Nominated movies this year. The beginning and the end were the best, with it feeling quite like a Pixar setup. It kind of gave me an Up and Coco vibe, but it's when the girl actually gets to the moon where I feel things fall apart. You can tell it's primarily designed as a children's movie because from then on it's full of fantastical action sequences full of neon colors, and I almost lost interest then. There's even a castle that has an almost exact profile to Disney's castle, which made me wonder how they could get away with that. Kind of made me wonder if it was originally was intended to be distributed by Disney. Ultimately we found it kind of disappointing.
Strange--we also watched it this weekend, and my impressions mirror yours.
What's so strange about that? :D Oh, and another thing: It felt like the beginning and the end, and the middle were made by two entire different teams with different ideals. The beginning showed such promise with it being cute and charming. When she got to the moon, it's like they tonally switched gears and made it as annoying as they could, including the music. When the moon goddess started to sing, I almost wondered if we had mistakenly wandered into a different movie. It was so different to what we were treated with earlier.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

We watched The Last Blockbuster and it was frustratingly mediocre. I wanted to like it more than I did, but it was largely annoying due to its amateurish production. It could have been great, but they spent far too much time with nerds and geeks instead of simple ordinary people exploring what it meant for different demographics, and the people they chose to interview weren't all that interesting to begin with. It was also very repetitive. They kept mentioning the same things over and over again and it felt like they were running out of things to say.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:00 pm The Liberator

Enlarge Image

Deadline
Producers L.C. Crowley and Brandon Barr and former LucasFilm and Industrial Light & Magic VFX creative Greg Jonkajtys have launched a studio to develop projects in Trioscope, a new hybrid animation technology that combines state-of-the-art CGI with live-action performance.

This comes off the back of Netflix’s The Liberator, the first project produced using the technology, which the trio scored with Die Hard writer Jed Stuart, A+E Studios and Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne’s Unique Features.

Trioscope Studios will develop original drama content and adapt third party IP using its proprietary animation technology.
Trioscope reinvents the way animation is produced; it uses human performances with animated environments to bring photo-real quality to human faces character movement and action to animation.

Trioscope is currently in production on Netflix’s forthcoming World War II animated drama series The Liberator. Written by Jeb Stuart and directed by Jonkajtys and produced by A&E Studios and Unique Features, it is based on Alex Kershaw’s book The Liberator: One World War II Soldier’s 500-Day Odyssey and tells the riveting true story of the bloodiest and most dramatic march to victory of the Second World War: the battlefield odyssey of maverick U.S. Army officer Felix Sparks and his infantry unit as they fought for over 500 days to liberate Europe.

Trioscope has also already partnered with Hulu, Dark Horse Comics, Oni Press and Unique Features on other projects.
I look forward to their remakes of Wizards and The Lord of the Rings.
I saw this today and liked it. It's not Band of Brothers, but it's good.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Tao wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:22 pm Anyone else still watching season 3 of Depress-enchantment? For a quirky animated show with a demon that looks like a cat and an elf named Elfo this show has taken a serious and depressing turn.
Totally. It made me think someone involved with the writing has been dealing with someone with dementia or similar condition.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I started watching The Irregulars. It's about a group of teens in Sherlock Holmes' London solving supernatural mysteries. I've seen the first two episodes now and it's... ok? So far it's been pretty CWish, but the 2nd episode was better than the first. And it's clear there is some overarching mystery that will presumably link all the monster-of-the-week episodes. A review from Vox (I think?) said that it started slow but really built into something pretty good by the end, so I'm planning to keep watching.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Netflix nabs Sony's featured films:
For theatrically released films, the five-year pact will begin with Sony's 2022 slate, which includes Morbius, Uncharted, Bullet Train and the sequel to the Oscar-winning Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. In the future, it will also cover installments from major Sony franchises like Jumanji and Bad Boys. Sources tell THR that the deal is worth roughly $1 billion to Sony.

Netflix, which has been spending billions to build out a library of its own in anticipation of the launch of studio streaming services, will also have access to a new library of films. The streamer will have the ability to license the rights to select titles from Sony's library, which includes Columbia's nearly century-old catalog as well as other studio labels Tri-Star, Sony Pictures Classics and Screen Gems. Netflix and Sony have a pre-existing output deal for Sony Pictures Animation titles, first inked in 2014.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I just finished The Serpent.
If you want a dizzying display of back and forth timelines, this is the show for you!!
It literally flips thru days, months and years so much that you actually lose track of when the events are taking place.
Funny thing is, it really doesnt matter. You know where and when the story is even without the constant on screen reminders.

It's a good series despite that.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

It's old by today's standards, but I just finished The Get Down and really enjoyed it. Cadillac was without peer in being the most stylish bad guy I've ever seen in anything.
No sig, must scream, etc.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thunder Force with Melissa McCarthy and Octavia Spencer is terrible.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As expected.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Netflix showed me a preview of that tonight (as it insists on doing) and I couldn't get it off-screen fast enough. Yuck.

Their algorithm decided to show me that after I had just finished "This is a robbery: the world's biggest art heist." It's a 4-part series on the 1990 theft at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston. If you like art, or true crime documentaries, or Boston's culture, or even mob history, you might like this. The crime is still unsolved but the filmmakers weave a pretty strong circumstantial case for who knows what happened to those paintings. I almost stopped after part 2 because it was slow and repetitive of part 1. But the last two installments picked back up and I'm glad I finished it.

This might not appeal to anyone here. If you don't care about any of those subjects then this will bore you to tears. I've long been fascinated with the case and learned a lot from it. I will say that it's a 2-3 hour story at most, padded out to 4 hours. Partly because the pandemic interrupted production, they replay a lot of archival footage over and over and over again.
Holman

Post by Holman »

stessier wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:12 pm Thunder Force with Melissa McCarthy and Octavia Spencer is terrible.
I recently saw an article point out that MM is very good except when her husband is involved as director or producer, and this is that.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Holman wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:24 pm
stessier wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:12 pm Thunder Force with Melissa McCarthy and Octavia Spencer is terrible.
I recently saw an article point out that MM is very good except when her husband is involved as director or producer, and this is that.
They thank his mother at the end for not stifling his love of comic books. Maybe he was just reading the really bad ones.

I guess as long as they had fun making it, that's all that matters.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Kraken wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:57 pm Netflix showed me a preview of that tonight (as it insists on doing) and I couldn't get it off-screen fast enough. Yuck.

Their algorithm decided to show me that after I had just finished "This is a robbery: the world's biggest art heist." It's a 4-part series on the 1990 theft at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston. If you like art, or true crime documentaries, or Boston's culture, or even mob history, you might like this. The crime is still unsolved but the filmmakers weave a pretty strong circumstantial case for who knows what happened to those paintings. I almost stopped after part 2 because it was slow and repetitive of part 1. But the last two installments picked back up and I'm glad I finished it.

This might not appeal to anyone here. If you don't care about any of those subjects then this will bore you to tears. I've long been fascinated with the case and learned a lot from it. I will say that it's a 2-3 hour story at most, padded out to 4 hours. Partly because the pandemic interrupted production, they replay a lot of archival footage over and over and over again.
Wife and I just started this and it was nice to see the inside of the Gardner again. We had a great anniversary lunch date there once and would love to go back some time once the current pandemic unpleasantness is done. Along with the art they have a top notch restaurant.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote:
Holman wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:24 pm
They thank his mother at the end for not stifling his love of comic books. Maybe he was just reading the really bad ones.

I guess as long as they had fun making it, that's all that matters.
Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:01 am
Kraken wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:57 pm Netflix showed me a preview of that tonight (as it insists on doing) and I couldn't get it off-screen fast enough. Yuck.

Wife and I just started this and it was nice to see the inside of the Gardner again. We had a great anniversary lunch date there once and would love to go back some time once the current pandemic unpleasantness is done. Along with the art they have a top notch restaurant.
I haven't been there since the expansion opened.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

On a scale of Waterworld to 10, what are we looking at?
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm sure this must have been covered already, as it's been out for weeks or months already, but "My Octopus Teacher" is worthwhile even if you don't care for nature documentaries. I usually don't, but once it drew me in (which took half an hour) I was fascinated.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:15 pm
I've never seen Waterworld.

I laughed at exactly one joke in Thunder Force and I felt bad about it because it was basically a fat joke. I don't think it would be a fun hate watch. The sad part is that I think there could have been a good movie in there.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Honestly, with a title of “Thunder Force”, I assumed the entire movie was one long, drawn out fat joke.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:40 am Honestly, with a title of “Thunder Force”, I assumed the entire movie was one long, drawn out fat joke.
I never made that connection and it wasn't how the team name came about. In terms of superhero names, I actually kind of like it. Maybe because I've seen all the episodes of the Thundermans. :)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am
Unagi wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:40 am Honestly, with a title of “Thunder Force”, I assumed the entire movie was one long, drawn out fat joke.
I never made that connection and it wasn't how the team name came about. In terms of superhero names, I actually kind of like it. Maybe because I've seen all the episodes of the Thundermans. :)
Was it farting? Is that how the name comes about? That was my other thought.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:48 am
stessier wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am
Was it farting? Is that how the name comes about? That was my other thought.
Nope. Wow, maybe the movie was high comedy. :D
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My wife wanted to watch Thunder Force this weekend, so we did. It was . . . decent. The plot wasn't much, but it had some good laughs in it. Granted, I think you have to have a high tolerance for McCarthy doing McCarthy things, as she turns it up to 11 for this movie. (You should also have a high tolerance for Jason Bateman doing Jason Bateman comedy things, although not as intense as McCarthy.) Octavia Spencer is largely reduced to a role as a straight (wo)man, but she helps to keep things grounded so that McCarthy can go nuts.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:25 am
hepcat wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:15 pm
I've never seen Waterworld.
I've never envied another human being as much as I do right now.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I have never, since Silver Spoons, stopped loving Jason Bateman.

I can tolerate just about anything if I can watch him go about his business. Maybe I should give it a look.

I’ve also seen every Thundermans episode , btw. :P
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Bateman is always good. If you haven't already seen it, watch The Gift. It used to be on Netflix, but it looks like it's gone now. He's so friggin' great in that though, so it's worth seeking out.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Thanks, I will check that out!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:09 am I have never, since Silver Spoons, stopped loving Jason Bateman.

I can tolerate just about anything if I can watch him go about his business. Maybe I should give it a look.

I’ve also seen every Thundermans episode , btw. :P
The Roku Channel has seasons 2 & 3 of Silver Spoons and I watched an episode over the weekend with my 11 year old daughter. In it, Ricky has a sleepover with 3 friends and watches a scary movie about human sized frogs. After the movie, they put frogs in Freddy's sleeping bag to scare him. As they were doing it, I recognized Bateman. I had no idea he was in it!

My daughter liked the episode but thought Bateman was a real jerk. :)
Carpet_pissr

Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote:I have never, since Silver Spoons, stopped loving Jason Bateman.

I can tolerate just about anything if I can watch him go about his business.
Same. Also check out “Game Night” if you haven’t seen it. A well deserved 85% on RT.

Fantastic, hilarious movie that many on this board would appreciate.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:04 am
Unagi wrote:I have never, since Silver Spoons, stopped loving Jason Bateman.

I can tolerate just about anything if I can watch him go about his business.
Same. Also check out “Game Night” if you haven’t seen it. A well deserved 85% on RT.

Fantastic, hilarious movie that many on this board would appreciate.
+1 - that was really fun.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I know I am years behind the curve on this one, but we're finally finishing up Black Mirror, thank the pandemic for slowing down netflix output. Jeezus some of this stuff is dark (yeah, I know it's not Rosy Mirror). They teased me with an episode that actually had a generally positive tone and outcome and then BAM, BAM, two of the darkest, most depressing episodes yet.

I also finally sped through the rest of Love, Death and Robots. The back half wasn't nearly as good as the first half for me.

I'm also halfway through the third season of Castlevania. It's a good bit lighter than I expected, given the source material, but I am finding it completely OK. Not in any way exceptional, but I guess for a show based on a video game franchise, that's an accomplishment.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter