Re: Getting Rid of Cable

Post by naednek »

I'll stick with it but that might change on the next hike

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

naednek wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:40 pm I'll stick with it but that might change on the next hike
When I researched the options in December, YTTV was the best deal for my wants. Now I have to research the options again. If YTTV still comes out on top I'll stay. It has inertia in its favor.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:43 pm
naednek wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:40 pm I'll stick with it but that might change on the next hike
When I researched the options in December, YTTV was the best deal for my wants. Now I have to research the options again. If YTTV still comes out on top I'll stay. It has inertia in its favor.
I switched to Hulu Live and it's worked great. Neither gave me the NFL Network, so I stuck with Hulu since I already had an active subscription. F DirecTV.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
malchior

Post by malchior »

McNutt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:39 pm I spent this weekend setting up my in laws with Youtubr TV. They were excited after seeing it at my place. Now this.
Those channels certainly don't justify the price increase. My FIL was at least happy that they now include Paramount and he can watch Yellowstone.

For those of you switching, what will you use? I looked at Hulu + Live, but it doesn't seem any better for the price.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
For me it is looking like 20% Sling Blue...and 80% chance nothing. My price jump is end of summer so I'll see what happens. I predict a lot of dumping and maybe they will rethink it or tier something. I'd consider it if they bundled in YouTube Premium for sxample.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Have you all looked at an antenna and Tivo? The ~$600 upfront cost is paid back in about a year if you're paying $50/month for an online solution.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:59 am Have you all looked at an antenna and Tivo? The ~$600 upfront cost is paid back in about a year if you're paying $50/month for an online solution.
I'm on the wrong side of a hill. I tried a leaf a few years ago but gave up.
stessier

Post by stessier »

malchior wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:09 am
stessier wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:59 am Have you all looked at an antenna and Tivo? The ~$600 upfront cost is paid back in about a year if you're paying $50/month for an online solution.
I'm on the wrong side of a hill. I tried a leaf a few years ago but gave up.
Bah - NJ stinks.

;)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
JCC

Post by JCC »

The writing has been on the wall for a long time now with all of the live streaming "cable alternatives". I doubt adding the CBS/Viacom channels is why the price hike is so steep. I am sure it's renewing deals with Fox/Warner/Universal/Disney for a much higher price that drove this. Live sports are the most valuable aspect of these services and Fox and Disney know this.

I would expect that like Playstation Vue - the economics will stop making sense and more of these companies will give this up. I would expect the future is subscribing directly to FOX, Disney, CBS, etc for sports and I doubt that will save consumers much money either. But, that's the reality of the ala carte "cable" many of us wanted and I knew wouldn't happen in the way we wanted it to.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

McNutt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:39 pm For those of you switching, what will you use? I looked at Hulu + Live, but it doesn't seem any better for the price.
Sling+Comcrap Streaming because football, and Prime TV because it's no additional charge with Prime.
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:29 pm
hentzau wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:49 pm yeah, this is going to make me bail on them. Actually, one of the main reasons I was using them was to get to Turner Classic Movies, but I've been blown away by the Curated TCM on HBOMax.
Well, crap. I chose YTTV as my cable replacement and have spent the past 5 months customizing it and populating my DVR. I can get almost everything I want and I'm comfortably settled in. And I, too, chose YTTV in large part for TCM. But $15 is a helluva price hike for a handful of new channels I don't care about. I was pissed when that box popped up tonight.

If I want a streaming service with "live"' local and network channels and robust DVR functionality, where do I go now? Hulu? And what is this Curated TCM of which you speak? For the new price of YTTV I can probably get Hulu and HBOMax.
So HBOMax is a $15 a month charge. For it you get the full HBO catalog, a subset of the DC Universe stuff (like Doom Patrol), some kids stuff, Comedy Central, All the studio ghibli movies, and this thing called Curated TCM. Some of the movies are just movies that are on HBO that are considered "classics". Others are things from the TCM library, but almost all gold.

Depending on where you interests lie, they have the Criterion collection of most of the Godzilla movies, a ton of Kurasawa movies, the Lone Wolf and Cub movies...

Partial List of Movies.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Question. I like to watch the local news....the 6pm and 11pm ones. They stream live at those times online. Is there some way or software to record those streams automatically like a DVR would on the normal tv?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:33 pm Question. I like to watch the local news....the 6pm and 11pm ones. They stream live at those times online. Is there some way or software to record those streams automatically like a DVR would on the normal tv?
I don't know that all channels are doing this but a couple of my local news stations are featuring apps that allow you to watch their news anytime. I haven't done that yet so I don't know how well they work.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:33 pm Question. I like to watch the local news....the 6pm and 11pm ones. They stream live at those times online. Is there some way or software to record those streams automatically like a DVR would on the normal tv?
I think Youtube TV will do this.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:50 pm I think Youtube TV will do this.
I suspect he's looking for a free option. Look who's asking.

The network I normally watch (NBC) has live stream and recorded video stories. They don't appear to have full recorded newscasts.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I have Comcrap streaming and I just checked the phone app...it does have DVR and you can record news (or any programs) and watch anytime. I also discovered that at last it supports Chromecast so now it's actually useful! I can save myself $25 per month now and cancel Sling.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:15 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:50 pm I think Youtube TV will do this.
I suspect he's looking for a free option. Look who's asking.

The network I normally watch (NBC) has live stream and recorded video stories. They don't appear to have full recorded newscasts.
Ah. Well, I think Plex can do it, but I think there is a charge for that as well. Might investigate and see if it is a one time fee though.
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

I use PLEX and it does record. It is either a one time for life fee or $5 a month.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

youtube tv just added a bunch of channels I don't care about, and raised the price.

this is starting to feel just like cable...
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Marketplace: Cord-cutting options are getting closer to cable TV prices
Viewers will be getting more to watch. YouTube and Fubo make licensing deals with channels to share their shows. For example, YouTube recently bought broadcast rights to Comedy Central from Viacom CBS.

But Viacom CBS sold this as part of a bundle. You want Comedy Central? You have to buy the Smithsonian Channel and Paramount TV.

“When YouTube wants to expand their coverage, then they have to go to these content producers who sell things in bundles, and so their costs go up,” said P.K. Kannan, who researches digital marketing at the University of Maryland.
Same stupid shit, different stupid year.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

yup
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well looks like its time to drop cable again. Ill call and ask for a discount. They'll tell me I cant get one there are none. Ill cancel, A month later they'll suddenly have a discount. I may or may not get it back. This stupid game is stupid. Just give me a good discount. My family always said part of something is better than all of nothing. Seems cable would rather have all of nothing. Guess they'll instantly raise my internet by $20.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:09 pm Well looks like its time to drop cable again. Ill call and ask for a discount. They'll tell me I cant get one there are none. Ill cancel, A month later they'll suddenly have a discount. I may or may not get it back. This stupid game is stupid. Just give me a good discount. My family always said part of something is better than all of nothing. Seems cable would rather have all of nothing. Guess they'll instantly raise my internet by $20.
One thing to remember is that it's not always in their control. For example, they may offer a 3 month introductory package with HBO. HBO is subsidizing the price for those 3 months. Then HBO stops. The price goes up. But the cable company didn't raise the price. It just isn't subsidized by HBO any longer. That's why you have to keep calling. Because maybe there is another subsidized offer you can get.

Of course, sometimes it's just the cable company. Just pointing out that occasionally they aren't trying to screw you. Occasionally.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So this happened today.

I went to Comcast to get a new cable modem...Saturday there was a lightning strike down the street and apparently it sent bad thoughts through the underground coax and fried my modem. Could have been worse, nothing else was affected. So I go in today, and get the "you have an upgrade available...300 MBs (up from 200) and an enhanced package that'll be a little less than you're paying now." Hmm. I look at the channel list, and I could eliminate Sling by taking this package. In the end, the savings is under $10 per month, but I'm back on cable. The only hiccup was the cable box didn't have the remote that was supposed to be in the box, and it's an hour round trip to the Comcrap office.

While they don't really tell you at this time, I expect a year from now the cost will go up to all the money in the world, and I'll be stopping at the office to drop off the equipment I got today as I chase after cheaper options.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

IDK, I think cable's getting more competitive as they try to hang onto their remaining customers while streaming keeps getting more and more complicated and expensive.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

So it's time for me to finally read this thread I guess. I've had and been pretty unhappy with DirecTV for a couple of years now. I have 4 cel phone lines with AT&T, so unwinding those two, and seeing what kind of reaming they will give me (for the cel phone service) should be fun.

Anyhoo, so when The Mandalorian came out, obviously I had to sign up for the Disney Plus trial. And of course The Mandalorian was amazing. The other Disney Plus content...meh. They're no Netflix. Then I tried a Hulu trial, which prompted me to give all of these add ons a try (Starz, for one, which has a surprisingly good lineup). Wow. After those two weeks of trial with Hulu (which impressed the hell out of me I have to say), I am done with both cable and sat. I was about to switch back to Spectrum with all the "lure" deals they are offering (and no contracts!), but man, after seeing the quality of some of those streaming platforms, I'm out.

My biggest gripe years ago was that the HD quality was lacking on the streaming apps...PS Vue being some of the worst macroblocking, stuttering, lo res garbage I've ever seen called HD. Now, though...whew. I have been streaming 4K and HDR content over wifi, and it looks amazing! And I have a slow ass internet connection. It does take some initial time up front for the buffering to really kick in, but when it does...wowza.

I also really liked how Hulu has quite a few different options (packages - ugh, sounds like old cable), some which include ESPN, some which don't etc.

Anyway, I'm inserting myself into this thread to edumacate myself, but looking like Hulu it is (and definitely the Disney Plus add on whenever the next season of Mandalorian hits).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Spectrum keeps trying to get me to upgrade from 100 mbps to 400 mbps for $20 extra a month. Ha no thanks. Im still mad at them for having gig for $129 and the company about 2 miles from me having gig for $65. What I pay now for 100 mbps.

10 gig is $299 :)

In the 90s I thought a T1 line was a huge deal...and I guess it was then..also waaay expensive. It was 1.5 mbps looking back. Hahahhaa. Like nearly $2000. And I think they are still expensive for some reason.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:22 pm So it's time for me to finally read this thread I guess. I've had and been pretty unhappy with DirecTV for a couple of years now. I have 4 cel phone lines with AT&T, so unwinding those two, and seeing what kind of reaming they will give me (for the cel phone service) should be fun.

Anyhoo, so when The Mandalorian came out, obviously I had to sign up for the Disney Plus trial. And of course The Mandalorian was amazing. The other Disney Plus content...meh. They're no Netflix. Then I tried a Hulu trial, which prompted me to give all of these add ons a try (Starz, for one, which has a surprisingly good lineup). Wow. After those two weeks of trial with Hulu (which impressed the hell out of me I have to say), I am done with both cable and sat. I was about to switch back to Spectrum with all the "lure" deals they are offering (and no contracts!), but man, after seeing the quality of some of those streaming platforms, I'm out.

My biggest gripe years ago was that the HD quality was lacking on the streaming apps...PS Vue being some of the worst macroblocking, stuttering, lo res garbage I've ever seen called HD. Now, though...whew. I have been streaming 4K and HDR content over wifi, and it looks amazing! And I have a slow ass internet connection. It does take some initial time up front for the buffering to really kick in, but when it does...wowza.

I also really liked how Hulu has quite a few different options (packages - ugh, sounds like old cable), some which include ESPN, some which don't etc.

Anyway, I'm inserting myself into this thread to edumacate myself, but looking like Hulu it is (and definitely the Disney Plus add on whenever the next season of Mandalorian hits).
If you get something like a Roku, you will probably be quite happy with it. Lets you have common an interface into your streaming services. It also provides a global search (mostly, I don't think Disney+ is integrated yet) and, lets you get into a huge world of free stuff. Such as Pluto.
Do you have Amazon prime for the free shipping? Because that also gets you the Amazon prime video, which is pretty extensive.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:06 pmIf you get something like a Roku, you will probably be quite happy with it. Lets you have common an interface into your streaming services. It also provides a global search (mostly, I don't think Disney+ is integrated yet) and, lets you get into a huge world of free stuff. Such as Pluto.
Do you have Amazon prime for the free shipping? Because that also gets you the Amazon prime video, which is pretty extensive.
Yep, I have a few older models that I use on our TV in bedroom (which NEVER gets turned on) and one in the playroom. The main living room TV is "smart" so not needed there, and it's also where the PS4 is hooked up, so double not needed. We do have Prime, but ROF (rest of family) was very whiny about me cutting Netflix during the pandemic. One of their strategies was to keep saying how bad Prime was, etc. :D I didn't cave, but that DID prompt me to start the HULU, Starz, HBO Max and Disney + trials...which ultimately led me to this thread.

We have cable tv, we have Prime video, and at the time we had Netflix. It just did not make sense to me to pay for all that content (certainly not at the same time - maybe rotating services or something). Too much $$ for TV. Note also that I was paying whatever the 4K tier is for Netflix, so it was really quite spendy IMO. And no, I would not consider a lower quality level tier - I'm weird that way. :P And yes I am aware that upscaling on modern 4K TV's is nothing short of amazing, but still, if I had a sub at the lower res tier, I would CONSTANTLY be thinking in my stupid head how much better this COULD be looking if I paid a few more measly bucks for the 4K tier... :grund: It's a problem, just ask the fam.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:48 pm
Jaymon wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:06 pmIf you get something like a Roku, you will probably be quite happy with it. Lets you have common an interface into your streaming services. It also provides a global search (mostly, I don't think Disney+ is integrated yet) and, lets you get into a huge world of free stuff. Such as Pluto.
Yep, I have a few older models that I use on our TV in bedroom (which NEVER gets turned on) and one in the playroom. The main living room TV is "smart" so not needed there, and it's also where the PS4 is hooked up, so double not needed. We do have Prime, but ROF (rest of family) was very whiny about me cutting Netflix during the pandemic. One of their strategies was to keep saying how bad Prime was, etc. :D I didn't cave, but that DID prompt me to start the HULU, Starz, HBO Max and Disney + trials...which ultimately led me to this thread.

We have cable tv, we have Prime video, and at the time we had Netflix. It just did not make sense to me to pay for all that content (certainly not at the same time - maybe rotating services or something). Too much $$ for TV. Note also that I was paying whatever the 4K tier is for Netflix, so it was really quite spendy IMO. And no, I would not consider a lower quality level tier - I'm weird that way. :P And yes I am aware that upscaling on modern 4K TV's is nothing short of amazing, but still, if I had a sub at the lower res tier, I would CONSTANTLY be thinking in my stupid head how much better this COULD be looking if I paid a few more measly bucks for the 4K tier... :grund: It's a problem, just ask the fam.
For you, I would probably decide which services you will want when the trials are up before buying any specialty streaming devices (although it sounds like you might already be set there). I swear by Roku, but HBO Max is still not available on it (or the Fire), so if that is a must have, you'll have to look elsewhere.

We have Netflix at the 4 streams level which is $16.99/month. This is a huge amount of content for not a lot of money. We also have Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle, which is another huge amount of content. I think it's $17 as we got the no commercial version of Hulu (which, if you watch it a lot, is a must imo). We have Amazon Prime because we have Amazon Prime - I don't factor in the cost because we'd drop it if it was an extra charge. We also have HBO because of John Oliver - which is $15. So $49 and it's more TV than we can handle - way cheaper than cable with no hidden costs or extra charges.

If you care about sports, you'll have to look at live TV offerings. Popular methods include Youtube TV and Sling TV, but there are many others - your cable company probably offers a package of local channels for around $20 as well. I use an antenna to get all that I need.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Comcast gave me a free streaming box (with free 'rent'... for now...) and i never use it. it is very well made, however... i miss seeing electronics with this level of finish.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Flex? I got one too. I don’t use it (I’m a shield tv fan) but it gets me the free subscription to nbc peacock, I guess.
He won. Period.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

yes, that's the one. i suppose i could make use of the music channels.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Plan to dump cable next week. Thats the plan anyways. Its funny they have deals for new customers but not for loyal ones. Also strange that they would rather receive $60 a month than $90 because they will refuse to go that low..so Ill dump them. I grew up taught that part of something is better than all of nothing. Cable disagrees.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:07 pm Its funny they have deals for new customers but not for loyal ones.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Cable has learned that the activation energy for most people is too high to worry about them switching/cancelling (see Lord Mortis). Even you said you wouldn't do it until next week. When you call to cancel, then you may get a deal. And once you are gone, then a deal is worth it to bring you back because, as you said, something is better than nothing... But until you are gone, you haven't proven you're in the nothing bucket.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have a movie and a couple Castle eps to watch before cancelling. Soon as I cancel I wont be able to even access the recorded stuff. Happened last time I cancelled.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

stessier wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:25 pm Cable has learned that the activation energy for most people is too high to worry about them switching/cancelling (see Lord Mortis). Even you said you wouldn't do it until next week. When you call to cancel, then you may get a deal. And once you are gone, then a deal is worth it to bring you back because, as you said, something is better than nothing... But until you are gone, you haven't proven you're in the nothing bucket.
Yup. Exactly. Many years ago I had an issue with my DVR. When I called for help they said "tough". So I responded with "Then I'll cancel". They responded with "Go ahead." So I did. Called back a week or so later immediately after my new service was hooked up. Said I wanted to cancel. Got routed to someone that then tried to offer me a bunch of deals. Of course it was too late. Ended up with the person saying "You should have called back and spoken with a different Support rep." You know? Because you should always expect different people to tell you different things. </smh>

Basically, don't ask for anything unless you are willing to be directed to Cancellations. And always be willing to follow through.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Last time I cancelled it took them about a month to start sending me really good offers to come back....all the time. When I did finally go back I pointedly asked why they didn't just give me the stupid offer to start with. Got the I dont know sir they dont tell us anything reply. I have more expenses now though and I can not live on $60 a month or so. Ive been dipping into my property tax savings. Time to remove the only item I really can remove. Maybe when nice weather is over I can stop buying flea products and extra food to put away. I may need to go back to the food bank but Ive avoided them so far with COVID out.

I have never been able to figure out what happened to the credit life insurance my wife got with the loan from Citi. She told me about it..I know it was there from paperwork. But when Citi transferred or sold the loan to the next person the credit life disappeared...yet the monthly amount did not change. Shrug. I still feel the house should have paid off soon as my wife passed. May need a lawyer to relook at it all....could use my money back :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok canceled cable tv today but now their pricings and billing are messing with what they are telling me. Listen to this stuff.

I canceled today on the 1st of the month. Trouble is the bill dept was telling me they are a month to month billing place and not pro rated. She said the best time to cancel is the last of the month. Said I should have done it then or waited because by canceling today it MAY or MAY NOT reflect the cancel in my bill. In effect I may be charged for the full month of TV even though I canceled. That sound like open theft to me. No way Ill agree to pay them for a full month of nothing. Ill can and complain. Might have to get a lawyer and sue if so...over $70.

Also my bill itself shows my internet is $65.99 with a $15.00 discount because I had tv. I will lose that $15 discount but they said my bill will become $69.99. Neither retention or billing could figure out why. Joy. Said I could call back in a week or so when its all worked out and ask for a new discount on the internet service. Shrug.

They offered me streaming. For $89.99 + taxes and fees I could get my internet and 70 or so channels on their streaming app through my Xbox 360. That does NOT include local channels which I watch the news on so I passed. It was VERY close to the $90 I was willing to pay for tv and net with all taxes and fees included. But alas no.

Check my figuring here Cletus......I pay....
$70 for 100/10 net

2 miles from me they pay
$70 for 1000/1000

Fun huh. Our local power is running fiber now. Just a matter of time. The corrupt state gov cant suck on AT&T's teet forever.

Anyways no TV now and I have to worry and fool with being charged for a month of it when I don't have it. I hate Charter .
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:17 pm Ok canceled cable tv today but now their pricings and billing are messing with what they are telling me. Listen to this stuff.

I canceled today on the 1st of the month. Trouble is the bill dept was telling me they are a month to month billing place and not pro rated. She said the best time to cancel is the last of the month. Said I should have done it then or waited because by canceling today it MAY or MAY NOT reflect the cancel in my bill. In effect I may be charged for the full month of TV even though I canceled. That sound like open theft to me. No way Ill agree to pay them for a full month of nothing. Ill can and complain. Might have to get a lawyer and sue if so...over $70.
Yeah, that stinks, but you know the suing option is insane, right?