SPACE - random thread about space stuff

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: SPACE - random thread about space stuff

Post by stessier »

Natural or man-made - scientists have ways to tell!

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Seeing your post stessier reminded me of the long ago days when I was participating in the Shuttle-Centaur program. The program was going to modify a couple of Space Shuttles, plus the two launch pads at the Cape and also the Shuttle launch facility at Vandenburg AFB in California. A modified Centaur stage would be placed into the payload bay of a Shuttle and then the designated final payload (a satellite) would be installed on top of it. The Centaur stage would be fuel with LOX and LH2 at the same time as the External Tank and then the whole thing launched.

There were obviously a lot of challenges to be faced to make the whole thing work. My part of it was involved with modifying the ground LOX and LH2 systems to allow fueling and draining the Centaur in the payload bay. I remember one little humorous part of the design discussion. The facility designers were trying to come up with the needed piping and control components to drain the Centaur LH2 back to the ground storage sphere. I asked how much they were trying to return to us and they said thirteen thousand gallons. I told them that our storage sphere held eight hundred thousand gallons and our instrumentation wouldn't even detect a change less than twenty thousand gallons. We decided the best course was to just to save all the work on designing a return system and drain the Centaur LH2 to the burn pond (later the flare stack) and the LOX to the LOX dump basin.

We actually installed the hardware and control systems to one of the pads and ran cold flows to demonstrate the process. But then Challenger happened and in the aftermath the Air Force decided to switch to expendables. Probably a smart decision when it came to the Centaur!

It wasn't a total loss however, since I got a couple of neat trips out to San Diego to the General Dynamics facility there.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A giant fuel tank in the shuttlebay eh?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:39 pm A giant fuel tank in the shuttlebay eh?
Yup. And the LOX and LH2 would need to vent during ascent, making for some even more complex planning.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

SpaceX's SN10 Starship prototype lands after epic test launch — but then explodes
SpaceX's latest Starship prototype went out in a blaze of glory.

The Starship SN10 spacecraft touched down successfully after a high-altitude test flight today (March 3), a major milestone for the company and its crewed Mars ambitions. But the vehicle didn't manage to hold itself together, exploding about eight minutes after landing.

The big stainless-steel SN10 (short for "Serial No. 10") launched from SpaceX's South Texas site at 6:15 p.m. EST (2315 GMT), rose 6.2 miles (10 kilometers) into the sky and then came back to Earth for a smooth touchdown 6 minutes and 20 seconds after liftoff.
SpaceX's Starship SN10 rocket prototype explodes after a successful liftoff and soft landing at the company's South Texas launch site on March 3, 2021. This view was provided by SPadre.com.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I mean, they want to be able to re-launch quickly. 14 minutes is pretty quick.
raydude

Post by raydude »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:19 pm SpaceX's SN10 Starship prototype lands after epic test launch — but then explodes
SpaceX's latest Starship prototype went out in a blaze of glory.

The Starship SN10 spacecraft touched down successfully after a high-altitude test flight today (March 3), a major milestone for the company and its crewed Mars ambitions. But the vehicle didn't manage to hold itself together, exploding about eight minutes after landing.

The big stainless-steel SN10 (short for "Serial No. 10") launched from SpaceX's South Texas site at 6:15 p.m. EST (2315 GMT), rose 6.2 miles (10 kilometers) into the sky and then came back to Earth for a smooth touchdown 6 minutes and 20 seconds after liftoff.
SpaceX's Starship SN10 rocket prototype explodes after a successful liftoff and soft landing at the company's South Texas launch site on March 3, 2021. This view was provided by SPadre.com.
The "belly flop" maneuver is brilliant, IMHO. I would have never thought to orient the rocket perpendicular to the velocity vector to increase drag and slow it down. Kudos to the SpaceX engineering team.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From XKCD:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sojourner has always been special to me. Landed July 4 1997. It was the first time I got to see the red planet pics 'live' and such online. Had had a pc less than 3 years at that time. It was all so new and exciting. And the date for landing stuck too. All my info for it came from online.

The names of stuff too...Pathfinder, Flat Top, Barnacle Bill.

Enlarge Image

I bet if aliens could watch our rovers with the way they drive up to rocks and stop they'd think "Look at those humans..cant even drive"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

In my day we called them Vikings.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Kraken wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:27 am In my day we called them Vikings.
+1

Interviews with members of Viking team @30th Anniversary

Bob Tolson was my thesis advisor in graduate school. To this day he's my model of the quintessential aerospace engineer.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kinda maybe what Sea Dragon launching would have looked like.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

China and Russia to build lunar space station
China and Russia have announced plans to build a lunar space station.

Russian space agency Roscosmos says it has signed an agreement with China's National Space Administration to develop research facilities on the surface of the moon, in orbit or both.

A statement from both countries' space agencies says it will be available for use by other nations.

It comes as Russia prepares to celebrate the 60th anniversary of its first-ever manned space flight.

The International Scientific Lunar Station will carry out a wide range of scientific research including exploration and utilisation of the moon, a statement from both agencies said.

"China and Russia will use their accumulated experience in space science, research and development and use of space equipment and space technology to jointly develop a road map for the construction of an international lunar scientific research station," the statement (in Mandarin) said.

It added that both Russia and China will collaborate in the planning, design, development and operation of the research station.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

One country you stand in a mile line for toilet paper and the other doesn't have toilet paper. Think Ill skip the visit.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

SpaceX just launched a Falcon 9 rocket on a record 9th flight and stuck the landing
The booster, B1051, is one of two in SpaceX's stable of reusable rockets that has more than seven flights under its belt. The veteran flier first flew in March of 2019, lofting an uncrewed Crew Dragon spacecraft to the International Space Station (ISS) as part of a demonstration mission.

Following that first mission, B1051 traveled cross-country to launch a trio of Earth-observing satellites for Canada from SpaceX's facilities at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. The booster then flew a total of five times from Florida in 2020, carrying five different Starlink missions and a broadband satellite for Sirius XM.

Sunday's mission marks the eighth flight overall for SpaceX in 2021, and the second flight this year for this particular booster. After its last flight took off on Jan. 20, SpaceX engineers were able to turn it around the booster and prep for a historic ninth flight in just 53 days — the second quickest turnaround time for this particular booster. (The record was between flights 7 and 8, which took off just 38 days apart.)
The breakdown, from Wikipedia, of the flights of B1051

The eight previous launches
Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

yay rocket boo starlink
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'll believe it when Russia's economy isn't in the toilet. Otherwise, they're just officially branding themselves as a Chinese client state.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:51 pm
I'll believe it when Russia's economy isn't in the toilet. Otherwise, they're just officially branding themselves as a Chinese client state.
Russia has a lot of long-duration spaceflight and habitat experience to contribute, but yeah, China's going to lead hardware development.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Microbes Unknown to Science Discovered on The International Space Station
All four of the strains belong to a family of bacteria found in soil and freshwater; they are involved in nitrogen fixation, plant growth, and can help stop plant pathogens. Basically, good bacteria to have around if you're growing things.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont appear as unknown as suggested.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Space station tosses 2.9-ton hunk of space junk overboard. It will stay in orbit for years.

Enlarge Image
The International Space Station got a little lighter last week.

The orbiting lab discarded a 2.9-ton (2.6 metric tons) pallet of used batteries on Thursday morning (March 11) — the most massive object it has ever jettisoned, NASA spokesperson Leah Cheshier told Gizmodo.

The space junk is expected to fall back to Earth in two to four years, agency officials wrote in an update last week. That update also stated that the pallet will burn up "harmlessly in the atmosphere," but not everyone is convinced that's the case.

"This strikes me (haha, a pun given the circumstances) as dangerous. It seems big and dense so unlikely to burn up completely," astronomer and author Phil Plait, whose "Bad Astronomy" blog runs on Syfy Wire, wrote on Twitter Thursday.

"Yes. On the other hand e.g. Tiangong-1 was 7500 kg [kilograms], much bigger. But I would say given how dense EP9 is, it's concerning, albeit at the low end of concerning," responded astronomer and satellite Jonathan McDowell, who's based at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Must be a new definition of the word "tosses".
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The modern parlance is "yeet"
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Someday, when we have some orbital manufacturing capability, we're going to regret de-orbiting all of that refined and machined material that was so expensive to launch in the first place. Space junk will be worth salvaging and reprocessing. But that's probably still a decade or two away.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Probably more like 100 years.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome
The Kessler syndrome (also called the Kessler effect, collisional cascading, or ablation cascade), proposed by NASA scientist Donald J. Kessler in 1978, is a theoretical scenario in which the density of objects in low Earth orbit (LEO) due to space pollution is high enough that collisions between objects could cause a cascade in which each collision generates space debris that increases the likelihood of further collisions. One implication is that the distribution of debris in orbit could render space activities and the use of satellites in specific orbital ranges difficult for many generations.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The Meal wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:29 am https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome
The Kessler syndrome (also called the Kessler effect, collisional cascading, or ablation cascade), proposed by NASA scientist Donald J. Kessler in 1978, is a theoretical scenario in which the density of objects in low Earth orbit (LEO) due to space pollution is high enough that collisions between objects could cause a cascade in which each collision generates space debris that increases the likelihood of further collisions. One implication is that the distribution of debris in orbit could render space activities and the use of satellites in specific orbital ranges difficult for many generations.
I know about the hazard. I'm just saying it's a waste of future resources. Maybe Kraken Enterprises' next enterprise will be a rocket company to collect and cache junk, because someday it might be worth money! That kind of business acumen got me where I am today. :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Some posts of interest:

Russia's only woman cosmonaut, Anna Kikina, inspires one-of-a-kind Barbie doll
The only woman who is currently active in Russia's cosmonaut corps now has her own one-of-a-kind Barbie doll.

Anna Kikina, who became a cosmonaut in 2012, is among the latest role models chosen for Mattel's "You Can Be Whoever You Want" campaign, which is aimed at inspiring young girls to pursue the profession of their choosing.

"The most popular doll in the world continues to inspire girls to chase their wildest dreams and clearly shows that each of them can become whoever they want! Barbie presents a doll that embodies the image of Anna Kikina, the only woman in Roscosmos' cosmonaut corps," Russia's state space corporation announced on Tuesday (March 16).
Enlarge Image
Perseverance rover's belly hits the floor on Mars, exposing its rock-sampling heart (videos)
The Perseverance rover's sampling system is one step closer to snagging precious Mars rocks for later analysis.

Perseverance, which landed inside Mars' Jezero Crater on Feb. 18, successfully dropped the "belly pan" covering its sampling system last week.

"Checking things out before I release the 'ejectable belly pan,'" mission team members said on Friday (March 12) via Perseverance's official Twitter account. After the team got confirmation that Percy dropped the belly pan as planned, they posted images and a new tweet Saturday (March 13) showing the cover sitting safely on the Martian surface.

"Up next is to check my sampling system now that its cover panel is off," the tweet from Saturday added.

Enlarge Image
Perseverance rover spots its first dust devil on Mars
NASA's newest Mars rover nabbed a significant extraterrestrial sighting when an onboard camera happened to spot a Red Planet dust devil crossing Jezero Crater.

Engineers on the Perseverance rover mission saw the whirlwind in the distance of images captured by one of the rover's cameras as the dust made its way behind the rover's robotic arm. NASA published footage of the dust devil but has not released estimates of its size or speed.

"Spotted a dust devil. You can see it in the distance behind my robotic arm in this enhanced/processed view. The dust devil is moving right to left and creating whirlwinds of dust in its path," Perseverance mission representatives wrote in a tweet late Tuesday (March 16).
Enlarge Image
Maybe why it dropped its belly pan :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mars News @ 11 - Earth visitor drops trou. Moons Martian home world. Leaders considering attack against Humans.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From Space.com, NASA fires up its 1st SLS megarocket for moon flights in a critical engine test
The core stage of the Space Launch System (SLS), the rocket that NASA is developing to take astronauts to the moon, Mars and other distant destinations, fired up for a critical preflight test on Thursday (March 18).

Smoke and flames billowed from the four RS-25 engines that power the SLS core booster as it roared to life while perched atop a test stand here at NASA's Stennis Space Center. Ignition occurred at 4:37 p.m. EDT (2037 GMT), when 700,000 gallons (2.6 million liters) of cryogenic fuel began flowing through the engines.

The "hot fire" test ran for just under 500 seconds, a duration that NASA had planned and hoped for. The trial was a repeat of an identical test that occurred on Jan. 16. But that earlier engine test ended much earlier than expected, with the engines shutting down just over one minute after roaring to life.

The briefness of January burn was attributed to the hydraulic system associated with one of the engines; that system apparently exceeded conservatively preset limits in one parameter, triggering a shutdown, investigators determined. NASA evaluated data collected from the first test and decided to go ahead and redo the test to make sure the core stage was functioning as expected before being shipped to the launch site, NASA's Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Florida.
So, next step (if nothing bad is found in the data) is to disassemble the stack and move the core stage to KSC for stacking with the solids.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Despite all of the valid criticism of SLS, I do look forward to seeing a moon rocket fly again.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:22 pm Despite all of the valid criticism of SLS, I do look forward to seeing a moon rocket fly again.
Me too, and as I'm about 18 16 miles* from the pad we'll probably just watch from the yard. If the first manned Crew Dragon launch attracted a half million people the mind boggles at how many will show up for the first unmanned SLS launch, never mind the first manned one. Heck, we had a huge crowd for the Falcon Heavy.

Update: Yup, 16 miles, just checked on Google Maps. 20 miles by road.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I never got to see a Saturn V launch in person -- I was all of 16 when the last one flew -- and the TV pictures in 1973 were underwhelming. But seeing the old films on an Imax screen will bring tears to your eye. It was simply the most magnificent machine ever built. Footage from the first SLS launch will no doubt tamp down some of my griping about the time and money it took to get there. Of all the things the US spends our taxes on, spaceflight is always in my plus column.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:45 pm I never got to see a Saturn V launch in person -- I was all of 16 when the last one flew -- and the TV pictures in 1973 were underwhelming. But seeing the old films on an Imax screen will bring tears to your eye. It was simply the most magnificent machine ever built. Footage from the first SLS launch will no doubt tamp down some of my griping about the time and money it took to get there. Of all the things the US spends our taxes on, spaceflight is always in my plus column.
I got to see one just laying on its side at the Kennedy Space Center and it was still amazing to see in person. They do a cool thing before you get in to see it, too. They have it so you see the control room while audio of the launch plays, and they shine lights on the stations where the people talking would have been sitting. Then when the launch happens they rattle the windows for effect. Pretty nifty.

But man, the rocket itself. I remember just gaping at the size of the engines. And it's a great perspective walking the whole length of the thing from engine to the command module and just marvelling that all that massiveness was just to shove 3 people into space in the tiny capsule at the front.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I watched Saturn Vs launch on CBS news. Being born in 69 Im surprised I remember them. Giant bright and loud candles. They have remained my favorite space rocket ever.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Photographer Spends 12 Years, 1250 Hours, Exposing Photo of Milky Way

Metsavainio began shooting for the project back in 2009. For the next 12 years, he focused on different areas and objects in the Milky Way, shooting stitched mosaics of them as individual artworks. To complete the ultra-high-resolution view of the Milky Way as a whole, Metsavainio then set out to fill in the gaps that weren’t covered by his original artworks.

“I think this is a first image ever showing the Milky Way in this resolution and depth at all three color channels (H-a, S-II, and O-III),” Metsavainio tells PetaPixel.
More pix at the link. 100,000 pixel wide pic

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Biden to Nominate Ex-Florida Sen. Bill Nelson to Lead NASA
President Joe Biden will nominate former U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson of Florida to be the new NASA administrator, the White House announced Friday. The NASA administrator is the highest ranking post in the space agency, serving as the senior science adviser to the president who also leads the country's space exploration efforts. Nelson's background in space and politics had already placed him on a shortlist for the position.

"I think former Sen. Nelson would be an inspired choice," said Dr. Robert Taylor, a professor of history at the Florida Institute of Technology in Melbourne, which is along the state's Space Coast​. Taylor cited Nelson's extensive experience in Washington, his lengthy record of space legislation, "and three, he's actually been in space," he said.

Nelson's career spans almost five decades as an attorney, state lawmaker, congressman from Florida, and U.S. senator. He was born in Miami, but grew up in Melbourne, which is near what's now called Patrick Space Force Base and just south of Cape Canaveral and Kennedy Space Center. Nelson had an unsuccessful bid for Florida's governor in 1990, but a decade later he was elected to the U.S. Senate seat, serving from 2001 to 2019. He's also a former astronaut, flying as a payload specialist on space shuttle Columbia in 1986. He spent six days in space, making him the second sitting congressmember to head there. In the Senate, he was the ranking Democrat on the subcommittee that oversaw the space program and chaired that subcommittee when Democrats had majority control. Nelson used his time in Congress to be a staunch defender of the space program, fighting to extend the life of the International Space Station and preserve funding for space programs, even if it meant at times he didn't agree with a Democratic administration.
As a Floridian, I'm very familiar with Bill Nelson. He's a safe choice for the current administration, having been an advocate for the space program for decades. I suspect that unlike someone like Dan Goldin, Nelson won't be likely to shake up the agency or radically alter existing programs. And being a longtime Washington politician he'll be more at home dealing with Congress than someone like Charley Bolden.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Glynn Lunney, NASA flight director who led from 'trench' to the moon, dies at 84
An engineer who was involved from the start in NASA's efforts to launch the first astronauts into space and who later led Mission Control through some of its most challenging and triumphant hours, flight director Glynn S. Lunney has died at the age of 84.

Lunney's death on Friday (March 19) was confirmed by NASA. A family friend said that Lunney died after a long illness.