SpaceX

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

malchior

Re: SpaceX

Post by malchior »

Jaymann wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:35 am
Zaxxon wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:13 am
Wait a minute, what about the other four?
I guess they're talking about the ones still in space on the ISS?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

you guys :mrgreen:
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Spacex: The Movie
Ten Men Left...Six Came Back
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those who might care, Elon Musk will be hosting Saturday Night Live next Saturday May 8th.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:33 pm For those who might care, Elon Musk will be hosting Saturday Night Live next Saturday May 8th.
This has all the makings of a train wreck. Will be interesting, at least.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Starship SN15 just launched and landed. Appears to be the first good landing. Was a small methane flare for a few min post-landing, but it's now out and the vehicle has vented. Unlike the last landing that then blowed up real good a few min later, this time the landing legs look good.

Hopefully a good sign that the next test will be well beyond 10 km.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That's good news. I know they skipped from SN11 to 15 because 15 has so many improvements that it's next-generation. They would have been pretty unhappy with another RUD.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

What a couple of weeks for the company. Launched some astronauts. Got a major contract. Landed some other astronauts. Launched and landed the next-gen vehicle. Oh, and a couple of 'normal' launch/landings for Starlink, including one booster's 9th landing.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those interested...

I'm just wondering if they are going to be inviting the CEO of Boeing anytime soon :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

His hosting appearance was not the disaster I feared. That said, SNL still isn't nearly as funny as I remember from the old days.

The 100% on-topic sketch:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We watched it yesterday and he actually did better than a lot of the actors do.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I didn't cringe too much. I mean I did cringe a couple times, but not too much.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:51 pm I didn't cringe too much. I mean I did cringe a couple times, but not too much.
Murrdurr durrdurr!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Good detailed summary of what SpaceX is up to at the moment.

The short version is they'd love to put a Starship in orbit before the end of the year, which is gonna require a Super Heavy, and that means they're cranking out Raptor engines. Each SH needs 29 engines and the first mission or two will be splashdowns. I don't think you can reuse a rocket engine that's been bobbing in seawater.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We recovered all the shuttle SRBs
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:04 am We recovered all the shuttle SRBs
Shuttle SRBs were thick steel cylinders filled with solid propellant. The Raptors are complex liquid propellant engines made up of a lot of parts, many of which are quite delicate when it comes to dunking them in seawater.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'd say there's a lot more than just solid propellant in them. NASA seems to think there were some lessons learned.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

For some definition of 'refurbished.'
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

SpaceX is all about rapid turnaround. They're building a new Raptor every 48 hours. It would surely take longer than that to recover and refurbish engines that fell into the drink, and without testing they'd be iffy. Although the linked article doesn't say as much, SpaceX is probably writing those off.

If you need 32 engines for your booster + spacecraft and it takes you 64 days to make them, you can't afford to throw them away more than once or twice.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:25 am I'd say there's a lot more than just solid propellant in them. NASA seems to think there were some lessons learned.

Sure, I didn't mean literally that they had just solid propellant with nothing else. But they were designed from the beginning to splash down under parachutes while the Super Heavy wasn't meant to get its toes wet :D

By the way, we didn't recover all the SRBs. We lost both of them from STS-4 due to parachute malfunctions and of course the ones lost during the Challenger accident.

In case you were interested in what happened during STS-4:
What caused the parachute failure was that a new device had been added to the system. The device was a series of explosive charges that were supposed to sever half of the parachute risers when the SRB hit the water. This would allow the canopies to deflate so as to not drag the floating boosters with the wind. Those charges were triggered by “G-switches” that would sense the SRBs hitting the water. Unfortunately, the “G-switches” were set too low and when the frustums (the lower conical portions of the nosecones) that covered the parachutes was jettisoned, the shock of the jettison caused the charges to detonate before the parachutes ever deployed. As a result, all six parachutes turned into streamers and the high-speed impact with the water caused the booster casings to sink in about 3,000 feet of water. The loss cost the program $58,000,000.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:doh:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Starbase tour by the Everyday Astronaut, with Musk.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Absurd.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I wonder why the interior of some nozzles are whitish while most are not.... :think:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:58 pm I wonder why the interior of some nozzles are whitish while most are not.... :think:
Virgins.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:13 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:58 pm I wonder why the interior of some nozzles are whitish while most are not.... :think:
Virgins.
Could be pre-qualified engines and virgins. I expect they'll all be black after the static fire tests.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kraken wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:04 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:13 pm
Virgins.
Could be pre-qualified engines and virgins. I expect they'll all be black after the static fire tests.
Sure will be.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:55 am Starbase tour by the Everyday Astronaut, with Musk.

Holy carp I want to watch that, but three hour-long episodes outstrips my available free time!
Conform or be cast out!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Crank up the speed.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yep, 1.25 is my default and works for most things pretty easily. 1.5 for slow-talkers.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

OK, now this pandemic thing is starting to have serious consequences: SpaceX is facing a liquid oxygen shortage.
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Liquid oxygen (LOX) is in short supply as demand rises with COVID-19 cases in the United States. But as hospitals struggle to figure out how to treat patients, SpaceX worries the shortage could also jeopardize upcoming launches.

With the rapid spread of the COVID-19 Delta variant, cases are on the rise as we push through the second year of the pandemic. Hospitals treating COVID-19 patients rely on LOX for ventilator treatments, and with rising numbers, LOX is becoming hard to find.

However, as SpaceX President and COO Gwynne Shotwell pointed out during the 36th annual Space Symposium here on Tuesday (Aug. 24), this shortage could impact upcoming launches, as many launch providers rely on LOX, a commonly used propellant.

"We're actually going to be impacted this year with the lack of liquid oxygen for launch," Shotwell said.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:12 pm Crank up the speed.
Zaxxon wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:14 pm Yep, 1.25 is my default and works for most things pretty easily. 1.5 for slow-talkers.
Yeah, I default to 1.5x and only go back to 1x when I'm watching something with music I want to hear.

Even at 1.5x three hour-long videos is two hours of watching in three 40-minute chunks. Time, like LOX, is in short supply sometimes.
Conform or be cast out!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

FAA has opened the 30-day public comment period on SpaceX's Starship environmental assessment.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Executive summary draft for the curious.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:08 pm Executive summary draft for the curious.
We might be going to Texas next month. I wonder what kind of visitor access is available at Boca Chica? Anybody been there or have some info?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:39 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:08 pm Executive summary draft for the curious.
We might be going to Texas next month. I wonder what kind of visitor access is available at Boca Chica? Anybody been there or have some info?
I don't think they have much in the way of guest access, but my understanding is you can get close enough to see cool stuff from the road.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:28 pm FAA has opened the 30-day public comment period on SpaceX's Starship environmental assessment.

9 months later, we're a-gettin' close.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Pretty crazy announcement from T-Mobile and SpaceX tonight: v2 Starlink sats launching next year will communicate direct to existing phones over PCS midband spectrum of T-Mobile, completely eliminating dead zones.

Will initially be for low-bandwidth applications, mostly messaging, will likely be included on existing plans. T-Mo looking to add reciprocal roaming with other carriers who want to participate.

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

No, crazy news would be providing service to people even marginally along the time line provided. When I first signed up, they said late 2020. Right now, my account says mid-2022. *checks calendar*.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Formix

Post by Formix »

Hmmm. Since Google Fi uses T Mobile (and others) I wonder if Fi users will get this as well?